Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    If both are fit who do you start at 9 against ulster, blade or marmion? I don't think selection tomorrow will show much if marmion starts but that’s because he got so little game time against Cardiff.

I think on form you have to pick Blade

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    The problem is that's they're both playing better of the bench lately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Dan Goggin, Calvin Nash; Tyler Bleyendaal, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, John Ryan, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Neil Cronin, JJ Hanrahan, Sammy Arnold.

Munster near enough full strength bar injuries

(15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Niyi Adeolokun, Bundee Aki, Tom Daly, Stephen Fitzgerald, Conor Dean, Kieran Marmion, (1-8) Matthew Burke, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Joe Maksymiw, James Cannon, Eoin McKeon, Jarrad Butler (Capt), Robin Copleand.
    Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Peter McCabe, Conor Carey, Eoghan Masterson, Paul Boyle, Caolin Blade, Eoin Griffin, Darragh Leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Dan Goggin, Calvin Nash; Tyler Bleyendaal, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, John Ryan, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Neil Cronin, JJ Hanrahan, Sammy Arnold.

Munster near enough full strength bar injuries

(15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Niyi Adeolokun, Bundee Aki, Tom Daly, Stephen Fitzgerald, Conor Dean, Kieran Marmion, (1-8) Matthew Burke, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Joe Maksymiw, James Cannon, Eoin McKeon, Jarrad Butler (Capt), Robin Copleand.
    Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Peter McCabe, Conor Carey, Eoghan Masterson, Paul Boyle, Caolin Blade, Eoin Griffin, Darragh Leader.

I do not feel confident

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    b.gud wrote: »
    I do not feel confident

I dno, you’ve Munster fielding a team who got beaten up last week and have all the pressure in them this week. Where Connacht have no pressure but players fighting for places in the 23 for the ulster match. There’s also some decent players in the Connacht side. I’d expect Munster to win but I think Connacht will put up a good performance. But with a bit of luck or some decisions going our way can seem Munster buckling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Chippy1234

Great for players like Conor Dean and Stephen Fitz to play against their old team and “prove themselves “ it can be a great form of motivation.

Good to see a weakened experimental team out who can try stake a claim for the 23 v Ulster also happy with Carty in the bubble wrap at home!

Very strong Munster team! I know they’re fighting for top spot still relying on a favour from Edinburgh but I wouldn’t be paying, nevermind starting so many “big guns” with a chance of injury, surely could have rested some of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Chippy1234 wrote: »
    Great for players like Conor Dean and Stephen Fitz to play against their old team and “prove themselves “ it can be a great form of motivation.

Good to see a weakened experimental team out who can try stake a claim for the 23 v Ulster also happy with Carty in the bubble wrap at home!

Very strong Munster team! I know they’re fighting for top spot still relying on a favour from Edinburgh but I wouldn’t be paying, nevermind starting so many “big guns” with a chance of injury, surely could have rested some of them

Conor Dean is from Dublin, son of Paul Dean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I thought that Dean was a Leinster, Blackrock College player.

Big chance for him, hope that it goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

He is ex Blackrock. The fifth in Connachts squad which is random. although two of them are born and bred connacht men

The Friend Zone
    Massive chance for dean, if he has a brilliant first game he could find himself on the bench in a quarter final for his second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Chippy1234

Conor Dean is from Dublin, son of Paul Dean.

My mistake! Was told it one time and never bothered looking into it!

All the same massive game for him!

Good too that he has an experienced back line around him which should help him settle in too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Good to see lads like Dean and Burke in the mix. Performances definitely more important than the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Good test for Burke. I know Archer doesnt get much love outside of Munster but hes an experienced and capable prop so how Burke performs against him is a good indicator of his progress to date

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Sevu Reece with another 2 quality tries for crusaders today, talk in commentary of being a potential rwc bolter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    I do not feel confident

Agreed. The team itself isn’t bad, it’s just hard to see them putting together a cohesive performance given the lack of game time they would have had together. Marmion has obviously never played with Dean, likewise don’t think Daly and Aki have lined out together nor the second rows. Do think the back row will go well though and interesting to see how Dean fares too.

Hopefully they can put a surprising performance in, Griffin will likely get on and wouldn’t be great for his last game in the shirt to be a hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Sevu Reece with another 2 quality tries for crusaders today, talk in commentary of being a potential rwc bolter

Reece, who is short-ish and full of pace, made one try against three defenders through angle and sheer brute power, think James Lowe in a smaller package.
    The opposition (Lions) weren't up to much, but that try was all about Reece.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

Why are people still talking about Reece?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Because Reece has been one of the standout wingers in New Zealand and some people, with zero interest in Connacht, are talking about him as a bolter for the RWC* He was supposed to sign with Connacht and when he's getting that much attention it's hard not to look somewhat wistfully and wonder about what could have been. Though I think it's important to note that I think everyone talking about it agrees that cancelling the signing was the right thing to do.

*It's a bit of silly season talking about bolters for the RWC and anyone who shows any bit of form will probably be talked about as one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Because Reece has been one of the standout wingers in New Zealand and some people, with zero interest in Connacht, are talking about him as a bolter for the RWC* He was supposed to sign with Connacht and when he's getting that much attention it's hard not to look somewhat wistfully and wonder about what could have been. Though I think it's important to note that I think everyone talking about it agrees that cancelling the signing was the right thing to do.

*It's a bit of silly season talking about bolters for the RWC and anyone who shows any bit of form will probably be talked about as one

He’s Fijian, so might he play for Fiji if NZ don’t pick him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me

Because some people wish he had been signed.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Really looking forward to seeing how dean gets on. On the other hand surely not a good sign for Luke carty that two first year academy 10s dean and Fitzgerald have been capped ahead of him, hope carty could move to 15 think he’d have a better chance there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over

He was signed. There are few posters here that disagreed with his contract being torn up however.

Fair play to him for getting the help needed and thriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over

He was signed. There are few posters here that disagreed with his contract being torn up however.

Mul, it's over

Think it’s more like people wish he hadn’t committed the offence and so could have been signed.

He’s looking like a superstar and All black in waiting, of course it’s going to be commented on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

its_phil wrote: »
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Think it’s more like people wish he hadn’t committed the offence and so could have been signed.

Those are not necessarily mutually exclusive. It is possible to wish for one thing and agree with the other.

The Friend Zone
    There’s positives to take out of the whole Reece thing:

A. Connacht were able to identify a seriously talented guy

B. They were able to convince him to commit to Connacht.

If they could do that with only challenge cup hopefully they can do that again with another play now champions cup is on the table too

Mul, it's over
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Those are not necessarily mutually exclusive. It is possible to wish for one thing and agree with the other.

Sorry I’m not following your point here but I wasn’t disagreeing with itsphil if that’s how it came across.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Sorry I’m not following your point here but I wasn’t disagreeing with itsphil if that’s how it came across.

Sorry, that's how I interpreted your post. Think we're all in agreement here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    its_phil wrote: »

I don't think anyone disagreed at the time. Now, I'd say a lot more people would be in "give him a second chance" camp...

Re; getting the help he needed... I'd say uprooting a young guy with issues and sending him alone to one of the booziest cities in Europe was the last thing he needed.

Better for all concerned it didn't happen imo

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    I don't think anyone disagreed at the time. Now, I'd say a lot more people would be in "give him a second chance" camp...

Re; getting the help he needed... I'd say uprooting a young guy with issues and sending him alone to one of the booziest cities in Europe was the last thing he needed.

Better for all concerned it didn't happen imo

Have never heard any Connacht supporter saying on here or in person he should have been given a second chance or been signed anyway. Your theory that some people wish he had been signed seems entirely baseless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement