Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Good interview with Jack Carty on latest House of Rugby pod. Interestingly revealed that Connacht were doing sprint tests recently and Marmion was quickest with top speed of 37km per hr. Best time recorded in Connacht history apparently, he did joke about wind so not sure how much of a factor that was.

Was it during Storm Hannah? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Mick Kearney confirmed leaving Leinster. Not confirmed where he’s going but linked with Connacht

Hearing that Mick Kearney is off to Zebre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Hearing that Mick Kearney is off to Zebre

Had heard nagle was going there, they’d hardly sign both?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Had heard nagle was going there, they’d hardly sign both?

Nagle wasn't announced as leaving Leinster at the awards last night, so looks like a return may still be on the cards if Ulster don't try sign him up.

The Friend Zone
    Nagle wasn't announced as leaving Leinster at the awards last night, so looks like a return may still be on the cards if Ulster don't try sign him up.

He was along with Daly, weren’t pictured but at the bottom of the tweet had them both down and that they couldn’t attend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He was along with Daly, weren’t pictured but at the bottom of the tweet had them both down and that they couldn’t attend

See that now actually, my bad.

So... who's heading to Belfast? Reckon it could be our biggest travelling support ever. Will be 3 of us on the bus, really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Driving up and down from Dublin with 3 others. Costs of accommodation is shocking!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Driving up and down one day accommodation because of the marathon is madness

Zzippy wrote: »
    So... who's heading to Belfast? Reckon it could be our biggest travelling support ever. Will be 3 of us on the bus, really looking forward to it.

You've obviously forgotten a trip to Edinburgh in 2016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

What? That never happened?

Dunno what you're talking about....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

You've got a Friend in me

Don't have to do much heading :D

Nice of them to arrange it so I've got a 5 minute stroll to a QF

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    I think the accommodation prices are being exaggerated 4 of us got a room in a hostel for 35 quid each

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Mul, it's over
    Driving up from Dublin with my wife and 1 year old, the three of us will be sitting in the family stand. Accommodation expensive alright, gonna stay at the Radisson Blu, was there a few months ago and it's a nice central hotel with parking, most hotels don't have car parks in Belfast for whatever reason. Think we can plan to walk to and from the Kingspan, never been before but doesn't look too far on Google Maps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Myself and my mate booked a room because 8 hours driving for one day is a bit much to ask and we want to hit the town after anyways. Room rates were not great but shur feck it a Connacht match in Belfast on a Saturday is rare enough.

No, I was in Edinburgh too, but I think we'll have more at the game this weekend. Edinburgh was just too awkward to get to at short notice for many people, Belfast is much more accessible, plus the subsidised bus fare is very attractive. I just hope there's a jacks on the bus!

#stopthebusIwantaweewee

No, I was in Edinburgh too, but I think we'll have more at the game this weekend. Edinburgh was just too awkward to get to at short notice for many people, Belfast is much more accessible, plus the subsidised bus fare is very attractive. I just hope there's a jacks on the bus!

#stopthebusIwantaweewee

There were 34000 in Edinburgh, and the general consensus was that we outnumbered the Leinster fans by about 3:1
    Even if it was an even split, that would have meant about 15000 Connacht fans were in Edinburgh for the final (allowing for neutrals)

If we manage to have more fans in Ravenhill this Saturday, someone buy me a hat, and I'll eat it

Anyway, it's not improtant

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not even much change in the conferences after all that. Scarlets and Ospreys swap places basically.

Combined Table

1. Glasgow - 81pts
    2. Munster - 77pts
    3. Leinster - 76pts
    4. Ulster - 63pts
    5. Connacht - 61pts
    6. Ospreys - 58pts
    7. Treviso - 57pts
    8. Cardiff - 54pts
    9. Scarlets - 52pts
    10. Edinburgh - 51pts
    11. Cheetahs - 46pts
    12. Dragons - 26pts
    13. Kings - 22pts
    14. Zebre - 19pts

Gives the following conferences for next year

Conference A:
    Ireland 1 - Munster
    Ireland 4 - Connacht
    Wales 2 - Cardiff
    Wales 3 - Scarlets
    Scotland 1 - Glasgow
    Italy 2 - Zebre
    SA 1 - Cheetahs

Conference B:
    Ireland 2 - Leinster
    Ireland 3 - Ulster
    Wales 1 - Ospreys
    Wales 4 - Dragons
    Scotland 2 - Edinburgh
    Italy 1 - Treviso
    SA 2 - Kings

Not even much change in the conferences after all that. Scarlets and Ospreys swap places basically.

Combined Table

1. Glasgow - 81pts
    2. Munster - 77pts
    3. Leinster - 76pts
    4. Ulster - 63pts
    5. Connacht - 61pts
    6. Ospreys - 58pts
    7. Treviso - 57pts
    8. Cardiff - 54pts
    9. Scarlets - 52pts
    10. Edinburgh - 51pts
    11. Cheetahs - 46pts
    12. Dragons - 26pts
    13. Kings - 22pts
    14. Zebre - 19pts

Gives the following conferences for next year

Conference A:
    Ireland 1 - Munster
    Ireland 4 - Connacht
    Wales 2 - Cardiff
    Wales 3 - Scarlets
    Scotland 1 - Glasgow
    Italy 2 - Zebre
    SA 1 - Cheetahs

Conference B:
    Ireland 2 - Leinster
    Ireland 3 - Ulster
    Wales 1 - Ospreys
    Wales 4 - Dragons
    Scotland 2 - Edinburgh
    Italy 1 - Treviso
    SA 2 - Kings

Is it definitely done on league points, or on league position? Points is a bit of a nonsense for comparing across conferences with differing fixtures.

The Friend Zone
    Godwin pictured training today, no sign of roux.
    Would go with something like:

Buckley
    Heffernan
    Bealham
    Dillane
    Thornbury
    Mckeon
    Faingaa
    Butler
    Blade
    Carty
    Healy
    Bundee
    Farrell
    Fitzgerald
    Toh

Delahunt
    McCabe/ Burke
    McCoy
    Maksymiw / Copeland
    Boyle
    Marmion
    Godwin
    Leader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over

Buckley
    Heffernan
    Bealham
    Dillane
    Thornbury
    Mckeon
    Faingaa
    Butler
    Blade
    Carty
    Healy
    Bundee
    Farrell
    Fitzgerald
    Toh

Delahunt
    McCabe/ Burke
    McCoy
    Maksymiw / Copeland
    Boyle
    Marmion
    Godwin
    Leader

I'd say you're pretty much on the money there. Marmo V Caolin will be a very tight call.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I'd say you're pretty much on the money there. Marmo V Caolin will be a very tight call.

Stockdale confirmed very likely out. Massive relief. I know we won't have roux but this absence is more decisive make the game from 70/30 to a 60/40

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

connachta wrote: »
    Stockdale confirmed very likely out. Massive relief. I know we won't have roux but this absence is more decisive make the game from 70/30 to a 60/40

Some rated Murphy much above but as I thought our player of the season Fainga'a is up to the level!'will be the key battle

The Friend Zone

Few there I think are tight calls which is great, heff vs delahunt, mckeon vs Boyle vs Copeland, Marmo vs blade and fitz vs leader vs kelleher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

You've got a Friend in me
    ionapaul wrote: »
    Driving up from Dublin with my wife and 1 year old, the three of us will be sitting in the family stand. Accommodation expensive alright, gonna stay at the Radisson Blu, was there a few months ago and it's a nice central hotel with parking, most hotels don't have car parks in Belfast for whatever reason. Think we can plan to walk to and from the Kingspan, never been before but doesn't look too far on Google Maps?

45-60mins walk depending on how fast you go!

Nice walk along the river embankment towards the Ormeau Rd to go to the match. You're also very handy to get a cracking brekkie in St. George's Market on Sunday morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over

Buckley
    Heffernan
    Bealham
    Dillane
    Thornbury
    Mckeon
    Faingaa
    Butler
    Blade
    Carty
    Healy
    Bundee
    Farrell
    Fitzgerald
    Toh

Delahunt
    McCabe/ Burke
    McCoy
    Maksymiw / Copeland
    Boyle
    Marmion
    Godwin
    Leader

Agree with this other than think Leader will start ahead of Fitzgerald. Irish times reporting Godwin out this morning hopefully that’s inaccurate.

Blade will probably get the nod at 9 but brilliant to have such a good replacement to come on and make an impact for the last 25 no matter who starts.

More generally speaking it’s a bit concerning Roux has been out for the guts of two months now with a virus, hopefully he’s on the mend at this stage at least.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/friend-happy-connacht-are-fighting-fit-for-quarter-final-showdown-1.3876498?mode=amp

Would find it hard to advocate playing Blade over Marmion.

He wasn't exactly keeping him out on merit the last few months but a combination of internationals, injuries and fitness.

Marmion is a proven national level 9. Blade is an adequate Pro14 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Carty nominated for Irish players player of the year award

That is great recognition for the year Carty has had.

The Friend Zone
    Would find it hard to advocate playing Blade over Marmion.

He wasn't exactly keeping him out on merit the last few months but a combination of internationals, injuries and fitness.

Marmion is a proven national level 9. Blade is an adequate Pro14 level.

Blade started the biggest game of the season to date against Cardiff on merit? Marmion would be the better player but on current form think blade gets the nod

• Advertisement

Thought Marmion was pretty electric in the first half last week, certainly looked back to his best. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start on Saturday. Blade is definitely up there but Kieran brings a bit more composure, whereas I still think Caolin can have a rush of blood to the head and do something silly, like a quick tap where we should be kicking for touch. Either is a great impact sub though, but I think Marmion gets the nod for me. He may also be more familiar with Cooney and know how to negate his influence better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement