Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Zzippy wrote: »
    Thought Marmion was pretty electric in the first half last week, certainly looked back to his best. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start on Saturday. Blade is definitely up there but Kieran brings a bit more composure, whereas I still think Caolin can have a rush of blood to the head and do something silly, like a quick tap where we should be kicking for touch. Either is a great impact sub though, but I think Marmion gets the nod for me. He may also be more familiar with Cooney and know how to negate his influence better.

I think before this season started it would have been inconceivable to think of Marmion as anything but a guaranteed starter if fit. It’s amazing how far Blade has developed this season that it’s a real conversation point. I’d still start Marmion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

Marmion is a big match player, he's shown that on numerous occasions. after Bundee he's the next player on my teamsheet

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭mr chips

Walking from the city centre to Ravenhill will easily take 45 minutes - I think it's the best part of two miles. For public transport, there's a shuttle bus that goes from the Europa bus station to the stadium when there's a game on - dunno how much it costs though. There's also a decent free-of-charge Park & Ride service for those who are driving on the day - I find the handiest one to get to is Pirrie Park. Heading out along the Ravenhill Road from the city centre, keep an eye out on your left for Martyr's Memorial church, which has a big clock with the motto "Time Is Short" - you can't miss it! Take the left turn immediately after that (the church is on the corner), then head up the street a few hundred yards and the entrance to the P&R will be on your right hand side. Free shuttle buses take you from there to the ground - they usually leave every 15 minutes or so on a busy matchday and it's only another five minutes to the ground on the bus.

Traffic can be very heavy on matchdays but hopefully not too bad on a Saturday - all the same, best to allow a good half hour to get to the P&R from the city centre. I'd also suggest aiming to get to it at least an hour before kickoff, especially if you've a terrace ticket as space can be at a premium even 40 minutes ahead of the game. Allow more time again if you're on the terrace and want to get a pint or snack in the ground before the game. Of course the local support is partisan but there's always good craic to be had on the terrace, and I say that as a Munster supporter living up here! It's all in good humour so don't be afraid to give as good as you get - something about Stockdale being overrated will win you lots of new friends ... :D

There's a decent range of food & drink stalls outside the Memorial Stand (i.e. the south stand) - burgers, hotdogs, paella, noodles etc plus decent coffee/hot chocolate, Belgian waffles etc for those with a sweet tooth. The bar under the Memorial stand is a pretty good setup, with dozens of pre-pulled pints to reduce queuing time. There's also good bar provision under the West Stand - never been on the East side but presumably the same goes for there. The Aquinas Stand (north stand) is the family stand, so that's where a lot of younger kids will be. AFAIK you won't be allowed to bring any alcohol at all in there, unlike the rest of the ground. The brass band plays up there too.:rolleyes: A few years ago, everyone's bags were being searched on the way in but I think that was in the aftermath of the Paris attacks so lots of places were on a higher alert than usual. It's the only time I've seen that sort of thing happen at Ravenhill that I can remember, and I've been going there regularly for years.

For pints after the game, the handiest/best pub is the Errigle Inn, about 10-15 minutes from the ground on foot and where a lot of opposition and Ulster supporters end up. They've a very good range of beers on tap and in bottles, plus the grub hits the spot so long as you're there early enough or have booked a table in one of the dining areas (I strongly recommend doing that). There's also a taxi rank that goes from the ground to the city centre, which was a tenner the last time I used it - but that's going back a few years as I usually walk to the Errigle or catch the shuttle back to the P&R.

Should be a rocking atmosphere, I wouldn't mind going as a neutral but this time I'll be watching from my sofa. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Presume there's no problem bringing a hip flask in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Presume there's no problem bringing a hip flask in?

One like this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭mr chips

Tbh I can't say for sure that there isn't a rule against bringing your own alcohol into the ground, but I've never ever heard of it being an issue so I highly doubt it. I bring my own hipflask pretty much every time I'm there and have never had a problem. At least, not until after finishing the hipflask ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Either bring a jacket with a pocket big enough to zip it in going into the ground that you can have under your arm or just stash it down the back of your pants if you don't have a jacket. You'll have no issue once you're discreet.

Mul, it's over
    Apparently it was Rory Best behind the whole 'disband Connacht rugby' movement a few years back. Never realised he was so involved, it was all detailed in Trimble's book titled: "Why Ulster players hate Connacht and think the Sportsground smells terrible".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    You won't need to make stuff up Venjur Chris Henry has done plenty for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Chris Henry is annoyed Connacht don't play their home game against Ulster at the Aviva because not enough Ulster fans can fit in the Sportsground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

errlloyd wrote: »
    Chris Henry is annoyed Connacht don't play their home game against Ulster at the Aviva because not enough Ulster fans can fit in the Sportsground.

He also said newtown ards is prettier than Westport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    It's behind a pay wall so I can only read the first paragraph but holy **** lol

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    One like this ?

Right. I'm going to change the locks in the house on Monday, but if you could let yourself in again before tomorrow and return my hip flask I'd be ever so grateful...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone

i dont think theres anything derogatory to connacht in his words

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i dont think theres anything derogatory to connacht in his words

No, but it's a bit of a warped way of looking at things. Viewing a side's success through the prism of your own failures and just a bit (well a huge portion) of begrudgery. Kinda sad to see...

The Friend Zone
    No, but it's a bit of a warped way of looking at things. Viewing a side's success through the prism of your own failures and just a bit (well a huge portion) of begrudgery. Kinda sad to see...

hes directly involved in the competition.... of course he would view an opposition winning with jealously. Im sure every player that year viewed connacht in the same manner.

fans might not, but players would.

I honestly dont think you can call it begrudgery when theres a direct influence involved.

Mul, it's over
    hes directly involved in the competition.... of course he would view an opposition winning with jealously. Im sure every player that year viewed connacht in the same manner.

fans might not, but players would.

I honestly dont think you can call it begrudgery when theres a direct influence involved.

I think he's on the wind personally but there's no doubt some of the remarks are supposed to be quite inflammatory. If your point was true then why would he want Leinster to win? Surely Leinster are a bigger rival than Connacht by that very measure?

I haven't actually read the article(other than the visible opening paragraph) so I'm taking the rest from what I've seen here but did he really also say that Connacht should play home interpros in the Aviva? Genuinely don't know how anyone could take that seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Bazzo wrote: »
    I think he's on the wind personally but there's no doubt some of the remarks are supposed to be quite inflammatory. If your point was true then why would he want Leinster to win? Surely Leinster are a bigger rival than Connacht by that very measure?

I haven't actually read the article(other than the visible opening paragraph) so I'm taking the rest from what I've seen here but did he really also say that Connacht should play home interpros in the Aviva? Genuinely don't know how anyone could take that seriously.

I dont see it in that article anyways

I've no real issue with whats hes saying tbh, its a warped way of looking at thinks but one I can understand.

The Friend Zone
    Bazzo wrote: »

i listened to a reading of it on the latest craggy island podcast.... have a listen to get beyond the pay wall.

his whole point is that connachts success really highlighted ulsters utter failings to him... its not that he begrudged connacht of their victory.... its that their victory hurt so much more than a leinster win. A huge spot light was shone on ulsters near misses and ultimate failures.... not an easy thing for a player to admit to.

It was because the rise of connacht under Lam from eternal basement placers to league winners appeared to be so easy and unassailable for connacht after years and years of ulsters struggles.

Mul, it's over
    i listened to a reading of it on the latest craggy island podcast.... have a listen to get beyond the pay wall.

his whole point is that connachts success really highlighted ulsters utter failings to him... its not that he begrudged connacht of their victory.... its that their victory hurt so much more than a leinster win. A huge spot light was shone on ulsters near misses and ultimate failures.... not an easy thing for a player to admit to.

It was because the rise of connacht under Lam from eternal basement placers to league winners appeared to be so easy and unassailable for connacht after years and years of ulsters struggles.

I'll give it a listen

Aaaanyhow:

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1124266602604703748?s=19

1. Buckley
    2. Heff
    3. Bealham
    4. Dillane
    5. Thornburg
    6. McKeon
    7. Fainga'a
    8. Butler
    9. Marmion
    10. Carty
    11. Healy
    12. Aki
    13. Farrell
    14. Fitzgerald
    15. O'Halloran

16. Delahunt
    17. McCabe
    18. Carey
    19. Masterson
    20. Boyle
    21. Blade
    22. Daly
    23. Leader

We pretty much only have 2 injuries but looking at the bench Roux and Godwin out seem big in the context of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    On paper Connacht should win this, feel only two ulster players would start ahead of their contour parts on the Connacht team. The emotional side of the game will be huge. Best and caves last home game and the connachts win up there earlier in the year will give the ulster man a bit of a kick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

You've got a Friend in me
    Who's 10 cover in that team?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Whose 10 cover in that team?

Tom Daly seems to be the one who has been since godwin picked up his knock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

who's covering 19? McKeon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Tm Daly seems to be the one who has been since godwin picked up his knock

Hope you don't lose Carty so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    who's covering 19? McKeon?

Masterson did the same last week, Copeland was still on the pitch when he came on as a sub and I though Copeland would move to second-row but he didn't, Masterson did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Safe travels to everyone heading up tomorrow! Sickened I can’t make it myself but with it being a Bank Holiday I can’t be the only one stuck in that boat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement