Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Wegians89 wrote: »
    On paper Connacht should win this, feel only two ulster players would start ahead of their contour parts on the Connacht team. The emotional side of the game will be huge. Best and caves last home game and the connachts win up there earlier in the year will give the ulster man a bit of a kick

Bit half-hearted. Why not go all-in and say every Connacht player is better than their Ulster counterpart?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/angus-lloyd-taking-every-chance-as-he-pursues-rugby-dream-1.3879097?mode=amp

Sorry if I missed this initially, but I didn't realise Angus Lloyd was joining Connacht full-time next season...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Double post. Please delete

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

flatty wrote:
    Why? Just call it the connacht rugby thread. Its not big or clever shoehorning some crap song title into it. Some schoolboy errors from both teams today. Draw would have been fair.

Thank you, poster 72385. You're grievance has been registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Buer wrote: »
    Thank you, poster 72385. You're grievance has been registered.

Just noticed on instagram that Copeland is skulling pints of Guinness some where Kelleher is on the piss in Sandymount. .... factoring in the importance of the game I’m surprised both aren’t involved in the traveling squad and maybe there’s a reason they are not but wish they weren’t so public about what they’re up to the eve of a huge match for us!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i listened to a reading of it on the latest craggy island podcast.... have a listen to get beyond the pay wall.

his whole point is that connachts success really highlighted ulsters utter failings to him... its not that he begrudged connacht of their victory.... its that their victory hurt so much more than a leinster win. A huge spot light was shone on ulsters near misses and ultimate failures.... not an easy thing for a player to admit to.

It was because the rise of connacht under Lam from eternal basement placers to league winners appeared to be so easy and unassailable for connacht after years and years of ulsters struggles.

So to sum up he was embarrassed because even sh8tty connacht could win a pro12 but ulster could not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Lebute wrote: »
    Just noticed on instagram that Copeland is skulling pints of Guinness some where Kelleher is on the piss in Sandymount. .... factoring in the importance of the game I’m surprised both aren’t involved in the traveling squad and maybe there’s a reason they are not but wish they weren’t so public about what they’re up to the eve of a huge match for us!

Thought Copeland would have been with the squad but kelleher won’t play again for Connacht so don’t mind what he’s at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Had kinda assumed myself that Copeland would be involved in the travelling squad after some strong performances the last few weeks.
    I guess if he wasn't involved in the extended squad or as cover nothing wrong with him having a few pints, I could see your point about posting it online though.

Kelleher is obviously finished up now so settling back into Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

testtech05 wrote: »
    Had kinda assumed myself that Copeland would be involved in the travelling squad after some strong performances the last few weeks.
    I guess if he wasn't involved in the extended squad or as cover nothing wrong with him having a few pints, I could see your point about posting it online though.

Kelleher is obviously finished up now so settling back into Dublin :)

Win today I would hope both would be trying to play themselves into the semi final squad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Lebute wrote: »
    Win today I would hope both would be trying to play themselves into the semi final squad

If they’re not in the travelling squad they’re free to do what they want. If they want to have a few pints let them be. I’m sure if we win they’ll be training next week giving their all and trying to get selected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Decent few Connacht heads around already. Traffic will be lethal on the way up around Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

You've got a Friend in me
    Decent few Connacht heads around already. Traffic will be lethal on the way up around Newry.

Accident in the A1 causing tailbacks around there apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

On the lead supporters bus and no sign of traffic around Newry. Almost in Belfast now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Frustrating performance. Our ruck protection was absolutely atrocious. Coughed up 6 or 7 turnovers just because of poor ruck protection and we never adjusted.

Just don't have the quality.

Achieved as much as you could have expected with the squad available.
    We weren't going to win it anyway so an improvement on last year and CC rugby is a good return.

I think to move to the next level we need to add some wingers and possibly a full back.

Forwards, 9/10 and centre are all adequate but we don't have that attacking flair needed to open teams up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

On paper Connacht should win this, feel only two ulster players would start ahead of their contour parts on the Connacht team. The emotional side of the game will be huge. Best and caves last home game and the connachts win up there earlier in the year will give the ulster man a bit of a kick

Time to rethink your judgement of players?:D:D Actually, Bundee Aki would definitely get in the Ulster side and maybe Buckley, that would be it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    jacothelad wrote: »
    Time to rethink your judgement of players?:D:D Actually, Bundee Aki would definitely get in the Ulster side and maybe Buckley, that would be it really.

One score win (effectively) at home conclusive evidence alright. Billy Burns clearly a superior ten than Carty obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Well the season is over. Always hard to go out in an interpro but it couldn't have been closer with 1 point in it with 2 mins to go and Ulster deserved it. Now I hope they go on and lose it(kidding... And channeling my inner Chris Henry) Breakdown was where the match was lost but a lot of those turnovers are easy fixes so good signs for next year. Incredible first year from Friend, couple of big signings and this team could really be going places.

Edit: also meant to say big shout-out to Eoghan Masterson for playing 50 minutes of pretty top level rugby at second row and not looking out of place

Mul, it's over
    Was Aki injured yeah? He looked okay coming off. That was a big blow, he was having a stormer and matching Coetzee for best player on the pitch. Think Daly has potential but him on for Aki at that stage was a fairly serious downgrade (as would be the case for most centres)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

Bazzo wrote: »
    Breakdown was where the match was lost but a lot of those turnovers are easy fixes so good signs for next year. Incredible first year from Friend, couple of big signings and this team could really be going places.

While we've had a good season overall despite the result today, our breakdown & ruck work has been very poor all season and it was the losing of the game today. I'm not so sure that's such an easy fix?

We're terrible at the ruck in attack & defence, cough up so much easy ball and rarely win a turnover. Who's responsibility is that? All coaches or Forwards coach, who? That's something we need major improvement on for next season....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

tobdom wrote: »
    While we've had a good season overall despite the result today, our breakdown & ruck work has been very poor all season and it was the losing of the game today. I'm not so sure that's such an easy fix?

We're terrible at the ruck in attack & defence, cough up so much easy ball and rarely win a turnover. Who's responsibility is that? All coaches or Forwards coach, who? That's something we need major improvement on for next season....

It's more of an assistant coach thing. Lancaster was the one who revolutionised the way Leinster operate at the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

ClanofLams wrote: »
    One score win (effectively) at home conclusive evidence alright. Billy Burns clearly a superior ten than Carty obviously

Glad you agree....:D:D....and "whoosh"

Mul, it's over
    Glad you agree....:D:D....and "whoosh"

That’s gold man, don’t be wasting it on boards.ie

Take that Ulster wit on tour, make the big bucks.

The Friend Zone

Nope stand by what I said. Coetzee and Henderson the only two I think would walk into the Connacht team were huge today. The two ulster wingers have potential in a year or two but haven’t seen enough of them

Nope stand by what I said. Coetzee and Henderson the only two I think would walk into the Connacht team were huge today. The two ulster wingers have potential in a year or two but haven’t seen enough of them

Eric O'Sullivan, Liuke Marshall, Kieran Treadwell, all inarguably outplayed their Connacht equivalents. Must be good luck.

Whatever. Quite poor you lost by nine points then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Eric O'Sullivan, Liuke Marshall, Kieran Treadwell, all inarguably outplayed their Connacht equivalents. Must be good luck.

This is hardly fair. If you say inarguable then everybody knows that you automatically are right and thus win.

The Friend Zone

I’m basing my opinion on more than just one game. O Sullivan probably will over take Buckley in a few years but not at the minute. Other two aren’t better than Farrell or dillane

Bazzo wrote: »
    This is hardly fair. If you say inarguable then everybody knows that you automatically are right and thus win.

Good point. I rescind. Connacht have better players in 21 of 23 players. Presumably they just didn't really care.

• Advertisement

I’m basing my opinion on more than just one game

Cool. Just not the one that mattered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement