Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Even tonight the move off a scrum which nearly saw Healy go over in the corner early in the first half was obviously planned and a very good one at that. I don’t think you can really expect to get more than one of those a game.

Also the lineout move that saw Heff go 20-30m down field before being tackled about 5m short. Happened while they were interviewing Tim Allnut. The set piece moves are definitely there. Just need the patience and the top 2 inches to hold on once in the 22, usually it ends in a knock on or a silly turn over, rushed pass, something like that.
    Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I thought all 4 teams have similar budgets given to them buy irfu?

They do but all the other provinces will have bigger budgets due to sponsorship, ticket sales etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I thought all 4 teams have similar budgets given to them buy irfu?

Think it’s a lot more complicated than that, it wouldn’t be fair if provinces didn’t do better for having better attendances and sponsorships plus doing better in tournaments. Leinster do well out of players having central contracts but they also regularly lose 14/15 players to Irish camp so need to have a bigger squad to get through those periods without dropping loads of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Only one thing worse then a bad loser and that’s a bad winner

Yes, this morning I think that's a pretty bad look. I apologise - pretty graceless.

Was a fantastic game to be at - very exciting, and Connacht could have come away winners.

The "only two Ulster players are better than their Connacht counterparts" just really rankled. Sounded pretty arrogant and just simply uninformed. No requirement for me to be a bellend, though.

Well done the lads in green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Feel Connacht were exposed badly at the breakdown. It doesn’t seem to happen as much when roux and sob are playing. I think if there are funds there I’d try and bring in another brute or two in second/back row

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    I think first year under a new head coach to get to a quarter final and be within a point of Ulster with 3 minutes to go while playing very average is huge. If we have a good year of retention and add a carrier we could be looking good for next seasons play offs again. If the game was in the Sportsground, I don’t think Ulster would have got the win. Home advantage and Coetzee was the difference. Coetzee repaid the faith Ulster had in him the past couple years, fair play to him.

People criticising Carolan need to have a look at the amount of tries we’ve scored off first phase this year and realise once you go past 4th phase it’s difficult to breakdown any defence. The Bundee-Tom partnership looked very rusty and it’s the first time I saw Tom really struggling. He’ll be better for it and is a super player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It's still a mystery why Buckley isn't a capped international. He didn't have his best game yesterday but he is still a top notch player. Should be in the wider squad at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    jacothelad wrote: »
    It's still a mystery why Buckley isn't a capped international. He didn't have his best game yesterday but he is still a top notch player. Should be in the wider squad at least.

Ireland are stacked at loosehead prop, Buckley is unlucky
    that his career has coincided with two Lions and a solid international in Kilcoyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    jacothelad wrote: »

If you watch Buckley's bind at Scrum time he has a bent elbow so he'll always look like he's dragging down the scrum. So he needs to be monstering THs out of it otherwise collapses even when not his own fault look like they are.

At international level that's a huge liability

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If you watch Buckley's bind at Scrum time he has a bent elbow so he'll always look like he's dragging down the scrum. So he needs to be monstering THs out of it otherwise collapses even when not his own fault look like they are.

At international level that's a huge liability

Ulster TH dropped his bind twice in first half and got the penalty both times. Buckley was not at fault. He just needs officials who can ref the scrum properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Stockdale wasn’t playing otherwise I would have included him. Coetzee and Henderson were the two I think could get in. Don’t think murphy would get in ahead of butler or faingaa

Best> heffernan
    Jordi > butler
    treadwell > thornbury
    Marshall > Farrell Yesterday anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    It’s irrelevant now but they are two evenly matched teams. Both sets of supporters could make a reasonable argument that only a few players from the other would make their team. Home advantage would dictate favourites in any game.

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Ulster TH dropped his bind twice in first half and got the penalty both times. Buckley was not at fault. He just needs officials who can ref the scrum properly.

Oh I know but the easy thing to ping is the bent elbow forcing the TH down and thus breaking bind

(I've had a long chat about this with a scrum coach)

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Best> heffernan
    Jordi > butler
    treadwell > thornbury
    Marshall > Farrell Yesterday anyway
    O'Sullivan was better than Buckley I thought, although, that's only in the game yesterday.
    Baloucoune > Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Can we stop the dick swinging? It was a good contest between two evenly matched teams, Ulster edged it in a few positions and deserved the win.

There isn't much between the teams though, Ulster just have that little bit more top test quality in Henderson and Coetzee.

It’s irrelevant now but they are two evenly matched teams. Both sets of supporters could make a reasonable argument that only a few players from the other would make their team. Home advantage would dictate favourites in any game.

Connacht better at 3, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 15. Very evenly matched teams, as you say.

The Friend Zone
    I’ve always felt Buckley’s height is a major issue with coming to international recognition. If he had a few extra inches I think he’d have had a better chance.

Out of interest, what players were Connacht missing? SOB.2, Roux, who else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Out of interest, what players were Connacht missing? SOB.2, Roux, who else?

Godwin

connachta wrote: »
    Godwin

Would he have started ahead of Farrell?

Typically back-up ten?

The Friend Zone
    Roux and S.O.B. 2.0 are big losses though, Colby and Butler are too similar and we are effectively playing with two 7s an the field. and Dillane and Thornburry are quite similar style wise Roux relishes that physical ruck work, where as the two lads are more of the big tackling second rows

Godwin would be at 22 i think

• Advertisement

Roux and S.O.B. 2.0 are big losses though, Colby and Butler are too similar and we are effectively playing with two 7s an the field. and Dillane and Thornburry are quite similar style wise Roux relishes that physical ruck work, where as the two lads are more of the big tackling second rows

Yeah, I getcha. Actually thought the teams were good and strong for this point of the season, quite close to full strength. Ulster were missing probably four that would have started.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Roux was actually missed recently. He gives a bit of bulk to the pack which is a bit lightweight without him to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Three signing, one NIQ and two IQ due according to Friend. Would hope there might be one or two more deals done. Friend already confirmed new TH, need another second row, Cannon played a lot this season and fair chance of one being involved internationally and two isn’t out of the question depending on injuries. New option at ten and one back three player at least, ideally two.

He also noted the physicality brought by Coetzee in particular was missing for Connacht. But suggested that was something that could be potentially brought by a few players who got various reasons haven’t been seen much this season. Don’t really know who he could be referring to there, Copeland most obvious in terms of carrying I guess? Robb maybe, Cillian Gallagher?

https://www.the42.ie/connacht-new-signings-niq-friend-4620777-May2019/

The Friend Zone
    Roux was actually missed recently. He gives a bit of bulk to the pack which is a bit lightweight without him to be honest.

Himself and sob add a lot of balance to the pack, when they’re playing you get to see faingaa and butler shine more

The Friend Zone
    Three signing, one NIQ and two IQ due according to Friend. Would hope there might be one or two more deals done. Friend already confirmed new TH, need another second row, Cannon played a lot this season and fair chance of one being involved internationally and two isn’t out of the question depending on injuries. New option at ten and one back three player at least, ideally two.

He also noted the physicality brought by Coetzee in particular was missing for Connacht. But suggested that was something that could be potentially brought by a few players who got various reasons haven’t been seen much this season. Don’t really know who he could be referring to there, Copeland most obvious in terms of carrying I guess? Robb maybe, Cillian Gallagher?

https://www.the42.ie/connacht-new-signings-niq-friend-4620777-May2019/

Yeah thought there needed to be more additions, he also said kelleher would be replaced. So tight head, back 3 and someone else probably a lock.

I’d say it’ll be this week or next week the signings get announced as general sale of season tickets starts Monday week

Mul, it's over
    Anyone got any shots in the dark as to who our IQ signings might be?

We know we're signing a TH, probably a back 3 player and the third spot is likely a lock or maybe an outside chance of a 10 though I'd imagine they're hoping to give Horwitz and Fitzgerald a run at it. Other positions seem unlikely(to me at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Bazzo wrote: »

We know we're signing a TH, probably a back 3 player and the third spot is likely a lock or maybe an outside chance of a 10 though I'd imagine they're hoping to give Horwitz and Fitzgerald a run at it. Other positions seem unlikely(to me at least).

Brendan Macken?

The Friend Zone

Think the niq is needed in back three. Need a spark ala the treviso wingers out there. I’d say mick Kearney at lock or possibly someone like bill Johnston at ten. Then ideally I’d love jager at tight head but there’s other Irish options there, vakh in Leinster a possibility or a few Irish qualified lads over in England

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Wegians89 wrote: »

Think the niq is needed in back three. Need a spark ala the treviso wingers out there. I’d say mick Kearney at lock or possibly someone like bill Johnston at ten. Then ideally I’d love jager at tight head but there’s other Irish options there, vakh in Leinster a possibility or a few Irish qualified lads over in England

I doubt Vakh is going to make the move. He's really young and Bent will be gone soon.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Brendan Macken?

Highly doubt a centre will be signed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement