Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

troyzer wrote: »
    I doubt Vakh is going to make the move. He's really young and Bent will be gone soon.

Bent is only early 30s, 32/33? He could easily play 3 or 4 more seasons for Leinster. He’s hardly a dynamic prop so the slow down of age isn’t going to affect him. He’s the ideal squad guy for a club that loses so many players to Ireland, old veteran shoring up whilst playing with younger players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Think the niq is needed in back three. Need a spark ala the treviso wingers out there. I’d say mick Kearney at lock or possibly someone like bill Johnston at ten. Then ideally I’d love jager at tight head but there’s other Irish options there, vakh in Leinster a possibility or a few Irish qualified lads over in England

Jaeger would be a brilliant signing but highly doubt we have the financial clout to pull a player away from 2nd choice at Crusaders. I suppose he might have ambitions to play for Ireland but we're not the only province looking at tightheads either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

salmocab wrote: »
    troyzer wrote: »
    I doubt Vakh is going to make the move. He's really young and Bent will be gone soon.

Bent is only early 30s, 32/33? He could easily play 3 or 4 more seasons for Leinster. He’s hardly a dynamic prop so the slow down of age isn’t going to affect him. He’s the ideal squad guy for a club that loses so many players to Ireland, old veteran shoring up whilst playing with younger players.

He could do a job for a few more years but Vakh will get more gametime precisely because other teams will come sniffing for him.

Leinster have more considerations than just if a player is good enough to play. They have to move the older players on to allow the youth to come through. Just look at Seán O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Realistically though Connacht won’t be signing any players from Munster or Leinster that haven’t already on the released lists both clubs announced recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bazzo wrote: »
    Jaeger would be a brilliant signing but highly doubt we have the financial clout to pull a player away from 2nd choice at Crusaders. I suppose he might have ambitions to play for Ireland but we're not the only province looking at tightheads either.

Jaeger is contracted until 2020 with the Crusaders so I think it's safe to say he's not in the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Three signing, one NIQ and two IQ due according to Friend. Would hope there might be one or two more deals done. Friend already confirmed new TH, need another second row, Cannon played a lot this season and fair chance of one being involved internationally and two isn’t out of the question depending on injuries. New option at ten and one back three player at least, ideally two.

He also noted the physicality brought by Coetzee in particular was missing for Connacht. But suggested that was something that could be potentially brought by a few players who got various reasons haven’t been seen much this season. Don’t really know who he could be referring to there, Copeland most obvious in terms of carrying I guess? Robb maybe, Cillian Gallagher?

https://www.the42.ie/connacht-new-signings-niq-friend-4620777-May2019/

Sean O’Brien is one of our most physical and aggressive players IMO.

The Friend Zone
    Sean O’Brien is one of our most physical and aggressive players IMO.

It’s a real shame he can’t get a proper run injury free. There was a period there October where he was stand out on the pitch every week for 3/4 weeks. Scarlets and ulster con to mind

Wegians89 wrote: »
    It’s a real shame he can’t get a proper run injury free. There was a period there October where he was stand out on the pitch every week for 3/4 weeks. Scarlets and ulster con to mind

Any time he strings together 5 games he looks international class. Carries, tackles, and rucks with intent every time, as well as being a lineout option. Guess his all-action style has contributed at least in part to his injury troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Conan O Donnell joining sunwolves for remainder of the Super Rugby season.

Mul, it's over

Very interesting! Saw he was en route to Australia and wondered if he was going out to play rugby. Really hope it goes well for him, was sorry when he was released cuz he had a lot of potential but injuries seemed to make a mess of it.

• Advertisement

I hope he gets lots of game time. Terrible time through injuries.
    Just thinking there it must have been Friend using his old contacts to get O,Donnell the gig with the sunwolves. Wouldn't mind one of there players in return for the positions we are recruiting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

great article on the The42 on Craig Ronaldson, still only 29 and has a lot to offer any club that signs him up. experienced and intelligent I hope he goes to a proper club.

https://www.the42.ie/craig-ronaldson-connacht-interview-4620979-May2019/?fbclid=IwAR2XtmGy87DsJShhoD-eK7LhXPRx_wyajDgCyYov6kO46_8Qh1T5CUVn96Y

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Just thinking there it must have been Friend using his old contacts to get O,Donnell the gig with the sunwolves. Wouldn't mind one of there players in return for the positions we are recruiting in.

You'd imagine most of their overseas players will be on the lookout for a new team given that they are on the way out as a club. Hayden Parker would certainly do a job for someone at 10 anyway if he wanted to head north. Van den heever has already done a few years in Ireland at 10 with Munster.

Could see Ronaldson heading to the US league, although he's more than good enough to play in the Premiership or top 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Any idea who the TH is coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Good interview with Tadgh Leader on most recent edition of balls.ie rugby podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/bill-johnson-set-to-move-to-ulster-as-munster-opportunities-dry-up-1.3884160?mode=amp

Would have thought Connacht would be in with offer too. But perhaps he’s seen as similar to Conor Fitzgerald and a more experienced ten is a better fit. Though it wouldn’t shock me if Connacht didn’t sign anyone in the position.

The Friend Zone
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/bill-johnson-set-to-move-to-ulster-as-munster-opportunities-dry-up-1.3884160?mode=amp

Would have thought Connacht would be in with offer too. But perhaps he’s seen as similar to Conor Fitzgerald and a more experienced ten is a better fit. Though it wouldn’t shock me if Connacht didn’t sign anyone in the position.

Yeah think with Fitzgerald and dean a young ten wouldn’t be ideal to bring in. Still feel Connacht should have made an offer at least

Johnston, Fitzgerald, and Dean have a similar age profile and there’s not a enough gametime to go around. Wonder would we look at anyone from Newcastle? Goneva on a one year deal pls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Horwitz isn't leaving either. Money is needed to be spent on a back 3 utility man.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

FACECUTTR wrote: »

Friend was the one that got rid of him so he obviously doesn’t rate him highly, it was Cory brown that recruited him he was skills coach at connacht when Conan made his debut at 18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Bill Johnston is a far superior player to Fitzgerald all the way through the age groups, Connacht wouldve definitely put an offer in but with Carty not going anywhere soon - the obvious choice and weakest opposition for a starting 10 spot would be in Ulster with Billy Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Would love Connacht to go after Piers Oconor the Bristol Fullback whos IQ and also ridiculously talented, would be hard to convince him to leave when Bristol are on the up though,

Mul, it's over
    Would love Connacht to go after Piers Oconor the Bristol Fullback whos IQ and also ridiculously talented, would be hard to convince him to leave when Bristol are on the up though,

Might be hard to convince him to leave for other reasons too ££££££££££££

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    Friend was the one that got rid of him so he obviously doesn’t rate him highly, it was Cory brown that recruited him he was skills coach at connacht when Conan made his debut at 18

It could also be case of Friend saying he needs games to develop and he can't guarantee him the games at Connacht. A great chance for Conan and hopefully he can a run without injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Read in the paper today that we are linked with Rory Burke at Nottingham. Ex Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Read in the paper today that we are linked with Rory Burke at Nottingham. Ex Munster.

Hardly an inspired signing. He's the reserve tighthead at a mid table, championship side.

What paper was that in ?
    I think we let 2 better quality props go tbh.
    Possibly a decent niq arriving in another position if we have signed Burke.

The Friend Zone
    Would be disappointed if that’s true, could turn out to be a good signing but would have preferred Carey to have stayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Burke has been declared leaving by Nottingham that's a point...
    I'd like another IQ leaving there this summer : Alex Goble, the winger profile we need, not the fastest (we have Healy and Niyi for that), but gaining a lot of ground https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5o0ZxVi1UA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement