Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Wegians89 wrote: »
    I think if one of delahunt or heffernan could absolutely nail down first choice with Connacht you’d see them climb up that hooker depth chart. I really don’t think there’s much between any of the hookers in any of the provinces. For example I don’t rate Tracy at all personally.

Adding another hooker to Connacht current stock wouldn’t be a good resource of funds. More depth at 1,3,10 and back three would be much more beneficial

maybe your right I have no way of gauging how much a player like MclILroy would cost but if connacht are to compete at a higher level they need a squad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

well that is how Joe schmidt would rank them so I'll take that over what a connacht fan has to say about their own player

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    maybe your right I have no way of gauging how much a player like MclILroy would cost but if connacht are to compete at a higher level they need a squad

Most Connacht fans would agree with that.

However, you don't develop a squad by bringing in more players of a lesser ability in the strongest position in terms of depth.
    If you really want to bring that fella home the other provinces probably don't have as much depth at hooker.

We badly need some props, possibly another ball carrier in the 2nd or back row and a back three player.
    Outhalf would be a slight concern aswell, especially if Carty goes to the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Most Connacht fans would agree with that.

However, you don't develop a squad by bringing in more players of a lesser ability in the strongest position in terms of depth.
    If you really want to bring that fella home the other provinces probably don't have as much depth at hooker.

We badly need some props, possibly another ball carrier in the 2nd or back row and a back three player.
    Outhalf would be a slight concern aswell, especially if Carty goes to the WC.

If we take 3 OH it will be the case. Only Cooney might save us!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    If we take 3 OH it will be the case. Only Cooney might save us!

It’s be bad for the start of connachts season but there’s no need to save us. I’d be absolutely delighted if carty goes. He deserves it

• Advertisement

It’s be bad for the start of connachts season but there’s no need to save us. I’d be absolutely delighted if carty goes. He deserves it

Of course he does. But non of Horwitz/Godwin/Fitzgerald has shown he could make Carty's absence forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Of course he does. But non of Horwitz/Godwin/Fitzgerald has shown he could make Carty's absence forgotten

Yeah on the basis of this season we have to bring in someone else at OH, massive drop off when Carty's not there. Even if its just a loan of a young player like Harry Byrne or Bill Johnston.

While Fitzgerald may improve over the summer he's a long way off yet, I'd rather have Godwin playing centre & don't think Horwitz has shown he can cover 10 at all.

We look to have 4 solid options at hooker so would almost be a criminal misapplication of re$ources to bring more prospects in there when the money is needed elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ulster have certainly got a helping hand from the IRFU lately with all their signings. Hopefully they have a few bob left over for Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I think it's harsh on Horwitz to be discounting him already. He only had a handful of appearances and he's been injured a lot. And he's very young. I'd give him another season before i'd draw any conclusions.

The Friend Zone
    There’s four potential options at ten if carty goes to japan. Horwitz, Godwin, Fitzgerald and dean. Not sold on any of them myself but none of them have had a decent run of games. 10 is a position where a run of games would do wonders. Like most teams in the league next year, key players will be missing. I highly doubt Connacht can afford to put money into another 10 given that there wouldn’t really be any decent Irish qualified tens available. If Horwitz doesn’t convince after next season, then would be the time to invest in a ten as rye could be replaced with a niq. Would like to see Horwitz given a fair craic at it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    There’s four potential options at ten if carty goes to japan. Horwitz, Godwin, Fitzgerald and dean. Not sold on any of them myself but none of them have had a decent run of games. 10 is a position where a run of games would do wonders. Like most teams in the league next year, key players will be missing. I highly doubt Connacht can afford to put money into another 10 given that there wouldn’t really be any decent Irish qualified tens available. If Horwitz doesn’t convince after next season, then would be the time to invest in a ten as rye could be replaced with a niq. Would like to see Horwitz given a fair craic at it though

Lets not forget it's only about 2 or 3 years since most people weren't convinced by Carty. None of the backups have had a sustained run it's way to early to write them off especially Fitzgerald and Dean who are still quite young.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over

Agree with this basically. Keatley would have been absolutely ideal but can understand why he would prefer experience abroad at this stage in his career and IRFU would probably prefer Fitzgerald/Dean getting gametime.

Would have preference for Conor Fitzgerald being given a go personally, tough night in Glasgow aside thought he generally went well this season.

But Horwitz will get his shot too, Carty going to the World Cup could be good for him, think Blade knowing this season he was going to get plenty of chances with Marmion involved with Ireland and injured probably helped him, has to be difficult to come in thinking ya only have one shot to make an impression.

Can’t complain too much with World Cup absences anyway, Connacht will probably lose 3-5 players, SA teams aside, that’s going to be one of the lowest in the league and Carty is the only one without proven replacements, unless Bealham travels or is called up.

Main hope is that recruitment is continuing beyond the 3 signings Friend confirmed already. Think the squad is already in a good enough place and not losing anyone major this summer helps but one or two more quality additions could make all the difference next season.

Mul, it's over
    Rory Burke confirmed and Stephen Kerins signs full contract.

http://bit.ly/2LVvkkX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Rory Burke from Nottingham signed and Kerins Promoted from the Academy

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-sign-prop-rory-burke-as-kerins-becomes-latest-academy-graduate/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Horwitz is hopefully settled here now and a injury free would do him wonders. I thought he was ok from what I seen of him. Good passer and a threat with ball in hand. His out of hand kicking was not super and he looked to be standing a bit deep too but that can be sorted. Carty was the same for a time and now he has excelled under Friend so there's no reason Horwitz won't.

The Friend Zone
    Rory Burke confirmed, disappointing not to get a bigger profile but let’s see what he can bring.

Nice to see kerins promoted to senior contract

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rory Burke from Nottingham signed and Kerins Promoted from the Academy

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-sign-prop-rory-burke-as-kerins-becomes-latest-academy-graduate/

Burke is a bit of an underwhelming signing on paper to be honest. Not sure he's any better than what went out the door. Is he even as good? Remains to be seen but best of luck to the fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Burke is a bit of an underwhelming signing on paper to be honest. Not sure he's any better than what went out the door. Is he even as good? Remains to be seen but best of luck to the fella.

My thoughts exactly. McCoy has really improved this season so its not terrible. He's IQ so there's a decent niq signing on the way in the back 3 I'd imagine.

Mul, it's over
    Thought Robertson McCoy had a fairly good season aside from the stupid stamp against Leinster so maybe the expectation is he is capable of being main back up while Burke and the academy graduates develop.

McAllister is meant to be good from what I have read but a bit injury prone. Couple of front row injuries could cause problems but suppose that’s always the way.

The Friend Zone
    On kerins promotion, that wouldn’t be one of the three friend was talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

On kerins promotion, that wouldn’t be one of the three friend was talking about?

Very much doubt it, an upgrade from academy has never being classified as a new signing.
    Think this guy needs to be given a chance as he has done the tough route and i think a ear or two in the championship has alway stood to previous signings.

Mul, it's over

Don’t think so and hope not. Fairly sure he said ‘signings’ in response to a question about recruitment which would imply new signings (to me anyway), he even specified two IQ and one NIQ.

Kerins has a fair shot of getting decent game time with Marmion going to be gone so much. There was an interview in the 42 with Angus Lloyd recently who said he would be combining Medicine with Connacht. Fair play to him and his reasoning was very understandable (given the very uncertain job security) but that sort of workload will be very difficult you would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Don’t think so and hope not. Fairly sure he said ‘signings’ in response to a question about recruitment which would imply new signings (to me anyway), he even specified two IQ and one NIQ.

Kerins has a fair shot of getting decent game time with Marmion going to be gone so much. There was an interview in the 42 with Angus Lloyd recently who said he would be combining Medicine with Connacht. Fair play to him and his reasoning was very understandable (given the very uncertain job security) but that sort of workload will be very difficult you would imagine.

Lloyd is an above average ail player was awful in the final

Mul, it's over
    Would have to imagine there is still some room in budget for few more signings.
    Ronaldson, Griffin, Kelleher even Carey and Cannon to an extent would all have been on decent figures. Sevu Reece deal cancelled too obviously.

McAllister aside, the rest of the incoming transfers are mainly academy graduates or equivalent (even Stephen Fitzgerald was on a development contract at Munster). Lloyd and Burke different but still both likely relatively cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

1. Best
    2. Cronin
    3. Scannell
    4. Herring
    5.Tracy
    6. Heffernan
    7. Rhys Marshall
    8. Delahunt....maybe
    well that is how Joe schmidt would rank them so I'll take that over what a connacht fan has to say about their own player

This is absolutely unequivocally 100% not how Joe Schmidt would rank them because the list contains Rhys Marshall who won't be IQ in time to be involved in a Joe Schmidt coached Irish team. If a player can't play for Joe now or in the near future he won't give them more than a passing thought and will definitely not be thinking about where they rank. And the reason for that is that if the first 6 of those players all went down with injuries there is only 1 of the remaining 2 who is a viable option to play for Joe Schmidt. Given the end of the recent 6 nations campaign its also debatable if that is where Cronin sits in Joe's mind

So with that in mind I've taken the liberty of fixing your second post below
    well that is how I would rank them so I'll take that over what anyone else has to say

Probably Friend trusts Kenny as 3rd choice...

b.gud wrote: »
    This is absolutely unequivocally 100% not how Joe Schmidt would rank them because the list contains Rhys Marshall who won't be IQ in time to be involved in a Joe Schmidt coached Irish team. If a player can't play for Joe now or in the near future he won't give them more than a passing thought and will definitely not be thinking about where they rank. And the reason for that is that if the first 6 of those players all went down with injuries there is only 1 of the remaining 2 who is a viable option to play for Joe Schmidt. Given the end of the recent 6 nations campaign its also debatable if that is where Cronin sits in Joe's mind

So with that in mind I've taken the liberty of fixing your second post below

Fine take Rhys Marshall out of the list and thats how Joe ranks them, also I'd rank the Byrne twin at leinster ahead of Delahunt also so heres a revised list

1. BEST
    2.Cronin
    3.scannell
    4.Herring
    5.Heffernan
    6 b.byrne
    7. Delahunt - soon to be replaced by R. Kelleher

, I get your a connacht fan but Delahunt is an average pro hooker take off of your green glasses - All hookers fit Delahunt wouldnt bench for any other province

Anyway my point was Connacht need to invest in young players with potential and develop a squad of players that can compete with the big guns

The Friend Zone
    Fine take Rhys Marshall out of the list and thats how Joe ranks them, also I'd rank the Byrne twin at leinster ahead of Delahunt also so heres a revised list

1. BEST
    2.Cronin
    3.scannell
    4.Herring
    5.Heffernan
    6 b.byrne
    7. Delahunt - soon to be replaced by R. Kelleher

, I get your a connacht fan but Delahunt is an average pro hooker take off of your green glasses - All hookers fit Delahunt wouldnt bench for any other province

Anyway my point was Connacht need to invest in young players with potential and develop a squad of players that can compete with the big guns

I’ve seen a few Leinster fans saying they happily take delahunt a few weeks back before it was confirmed he was staying at Connacht so seems non Connacht fans rate him too. If you want an unbiased opinion without green glasses on I’d suggest taking this somewhere other than the Connacht thread.

It’s possible that some point down the line there might be a need to improve on delahunt but at this moment in time there’s far greater needs in the Connacht squad that need to be looked at before spending money on hookers

I’ve seen a few Leinster fans saying they happily take delahunt a few weeks back before it was confirmed he was staying at Connacht so seems non Connacht fans rate him too. If you want an unbiased opinion without green glasses on I’d suggest taking this somewhere other than the Connacht thread.

It’s possible that some point down the line there might be a need to improve on delahunt but at this moment in time there’s far greater needs in the Connacht squad that need to be looked at before spending money on hookers

Lol anecdotal quotes of a few Leinster fans doesnt add weight to your argument that Delahunt is anything more than an average proi player its amazing how much connacht fans overrate there players

however you maybe right regarding spending money elsewhere - I'm simply replying to a poster saying they dont need young talented players like Tadhg or others which is ridiculous

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Lol anecdotal quotes of a few Leinster fans doesnt add weight to your argument that Delahunt is anything more than an average proi player its amazing how much connacht fans overrate there players

however you maybe right regarding spending money elsewhere - I'm simply replying to a poster saying they dont need young talented players like Tadhg or others which is ridiculous

You’re argument is based solely on your own opinion, I’ll take Connacht fans and fans from another provinces over That any day. And if Connacht were to invest in a young talented hooker they arguably have a younger one who has a higher ceiling of potential in their own academy at the minute they shouldn’t be stunted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement