Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Lol anecdotal quotes of a few Leinster fans doesnt add weight to your argument that Delahunt is anything more than an average proi player its amazing how much connacht fans overrate there players

however you maybe right regarding spending money elsewhere - I'm simply replying to a poster saying they dont need young talented players like Tadhg or others which is ridiculous

All supporters overrate their own players to a certain extent, your notion that this is unique to Connacht is ridiculous, there has been Leinster supporters on here saying at various points McGrath was unquestionably the no.2 9 in Ireland, in the last 6N Carty obviously wasn’t ahead of Byrne was just being included for some experience, if either was required for a match day 23 Byrne would be back, etc

McElroy wouldn’t be a good signing, it’s an area of good depth already with three good senior hookers and an excellent academy prospect. McElroy would be a waste of resources. That’s what was said originally as far as I can see don’t think anyone said Connacht don’t need talented young players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Fine take Rhys Marshall out of the list and thats how I rank them, also I'd rank the Byrne twin at leinster ahead of Delahunt because I'd forgotten about him before but since he's still in the Leinster system he is obviously superior regardless of how far down the rank in Leinster he is

Since he doesn't play for Leinster Delahunt is obviously an average pro hooker and obviously as a Leinster fan I am completly incapable of bias so my opinion is fact

There were a few typos in your post that I've fixed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

b.gud wrote: »
    There were a few typos in your post that I've fixed for you.
    :p:p:p:p:p
    You left out the m.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    I've actually just heard from Joe Schmidt there and be confirmed to me that the recently shared list of his preferred hookers is completely fabricated and not to worry. He actually told me the real list but told me it was top secret so can't share it here sorry. It had very little to do with rugby anyway as far as I can tell.

Mul, it's over
    Aussie 7s winger John Porch joining.

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1128680388753272833?s=21

Quotes from Friend about squad depth would seem to suggest recruitment might be done which would be disappointing.

Porch doesn’t seem to have much 15s experience which would probably make it unlikely he has much of an immediate impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »

Quotes from Friend about squad depth would seem to suggest recruitment might be done which would be disappointing.

Porch doesn’t seem to have much 15s experience which would probably make it unlikely he has much of an immediate impact.

Yeah I thought that too when I saw those quotes. Looks like that’s it. Porch looks good in 7s but can’t get excited until he has a few games in 15s, going to take a while adjust for him.

Edit: I see he’s played club rugby at 15s in Australia recently. Lighten take as long to adjust

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Yeah I thought that too when I saw those quotes. Looks like that’s it. Porch looks good in 7s but can’t get excited until he has a few games in 15s, going to take a while adjust for him.

Edit: I see he’s played club rugby at 15s in Australia recently. Lighten take as long to adjust

Yeah I read he played for Australian schoolboys too. First five fifteen seconds of these highlights is a try he set up recently in ‘grade’ rugby apparently, presume that is AIL equivalent.

https://youtu.be/IWAWjWayWAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hard to get overly excited about a bench prop at Nottingham and an Aussie 7's player. Both might turn out decent but if that's what we are going into next season with we will get a rude awakening especially in the Champions Cup.

Mul, it's over
    Would still be hopeful of a good campaign next season although agree recruitment has been undewhelming. Nobody in the league seems to be doing any business though, Ulster aside.

It was similar enough before the last World Cup when Quinn Roux aside, who was already on loan, Connacht didn’t make any real notable signings, aside from Sexton returning neither did the other provinces. Should still benefit from being one of the least affected teams for about half the league between World Cup and Six Nations.

It has a knock on effect too that even when sides have their full squads available, it takes them a round or two to get up and running properly whereas Connacht will just be adding three or four back in.

Champions cup will be tough obviously, a favorable draw might give an outside chance of knockout rugby as one of the top three runners up. A second/ fourth seed French team who lose their first couple of rounds and promptly give up would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Interesting signing. 7s players can be very hit or miss in 15s though.

I'm a bit disappointed that the announcement didn't mention where Joe ranks him in the hooker depth chart though. We obviously know that he's behind Byrne in Leinster but it'll be interesting to see what it means for Delahunt and will he drop another place, he might soon be looking at being outside the top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 26 FirstFiveEigth

Hard to get overly excited about a bench prop at Nottingham and an Aussie 7's player. Both might turn out decent but if that's what we are going into next season with we will get a rude awakening especially in the Champions Cup.

And with Mick Kearney's return also rumoured, which would probably be the last of our summer's business considering we've promoted a few academy graduates, we won't have improved our squad whatsoever IMO. It's surprised me just how underpowered we've looked lately, both in terms of ball carriers in open play as well as at the breakdown where we've really struggled to dominate, allowing teams to slow our ball down massively. Thought rectifying those issues would be our top priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

And with Mick Kearney's return also rumoured, which would probably be the last of our summer's business considering we've promoted a few academy graduates, we won't have improved our squad whatsoever IMO. It's surprised me just how underpowered we've looked lately, both in terms of ball carriers in open play as well as at the breakdown where we've really struggled to dominate, allowing teams to slow our ball down massively. Thought rectifying those issues would be our top priority.

Really we couldn't cope with the power of Henderson and Coetzee for Ulster. Especially with Roux missing we looked very lightweight up front. I thought a bit of ballast and ball carrying is needed in the pack.

I don't expect major spending but seeing how Ulster have been backed recently, you'd have to wonder are we getting the crumbs off the table. But sure we'll see what happens over the next few weeks first.

The Friend Zone
    Mick Kearney going to zebre apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

ClanofLams wrote: »

Disagree

"We have already announced the signing.." I think we'll have an IQ lock for Cannon. Maybe Nagle.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

connachta wrote: »
    Disagree

"We have already announced the signing.." I think we'll have an IQ lock for Cannon. Maybe Nagle.

I like your interpretation Connachta .... already announced the signings which means one more to follow. The others are not deemed as signings but graduations. With all due respect to Nagle I hope it’s not him .

The Friend Zone
    Lebute wrote: »
    I like your interpretation Connachta .... already announced the signings which means one more to follow. The others are not deemed as signings but graduations. With all due respect to Nagle I hope it’s not him .

Nagle to treviso is the word on the street

Nagle to treviso is the word on the street

Thought it was Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Thought it was Kearney

IMO we have enough "flying" wingers, would have preferred to see us sign a big lump who can come in off his wing and break the gainline. Anyway hope Porch works out, Friend has earned our trust.

Mul, it's over
    Disagree

Hope so but not sure what the point of the quote would be if more signings were coming.

Expect Gallagher will become a more prominent player next season. He looked good any chance he got this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    I'd put my House on Porch being a good signing :D :pac:

The Friend Zone
    Thought it was Kearney

Kearney zebre and nagle treviso

Kearney zebre and nagle treviso

Gosh... who's left for IQ 2nd row..Holland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over

What is James Ryan's contract situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hasn’t won a trophy in nearly a year so might be getting released this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Ah that's who was having coffee with Friend on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I think you misunderstood.

It's US that take YOUR Irish players, not the other way around.

See Henshaw, Robert.

Carty just won supporters player of the year.

The Friend Zone
    troyzer wrote: »

Suppose he’s next on Leo Cullen’s list of coffee dates?

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »

Suppose he’s next on Leo Cullen’s list of coffee dates?

Has coffee made it to Roscommon yet?

Best stick with the auld tae. He'll have a lot to learn in South Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement