Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

By the way, there are some weird things going on with Carty's Wikipedia page.

"UEFA uefa soon banned Carty from all club and international competitions from under-15 grade onwards as it would be unfair on other players. He was offered a trial with English football club Southampton but turned it down in favour of a trial at the academy of football, West Ham United F.C. where he briefly became acquainted with Jay Cartwright who, after taking Woking F.C. from the conference to the UEFA Champions League in Football Manager, was given a role in the English F.A. setup."

"Carty would later take Jonathon Sexton's position as Ireland's starting outhalf before the 2019 Rugby World Cup, following an impressive run of games leading up to the championship. Carty started all 3 warm-up games, scoring 3 consecutive hat-tricks adding to a flawless kicking record from the tee (24/24)."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    troyzer wrote: »

"UEFA uefa soon banned Carty from all club and international competitions from under-15 grade onwards as it would be unfair on other players. He was offered a trial with English football club Southampton but turned it down in favour of a trial at the academy of football, West Ham United F.C. where he briefly became acquainted with Jay Cartwright who, after taking Woking F.C. from the conference to the UEFA Champions League in Football Manager, was given a role in the English F.A. setup."

"Carty would later take Jonathon Sexton's position as Ireland's starting outhalf before the 2019 Rugby World Cup, following an impressive run of games leading up to the championship. Carty started all 3 warm-up games, scoring 3 consecutive hat-tricks adding to a flawless kicking record from the tee (24/24)."
    We’re all just living in jack Cartys world

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Wegians89 wrote: »

We’re all just living in jack Cartys world

It certainly appears that way.

By the way, I hope all of the above comes to pass. Means we'll probably win the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Carty just won supporters player of the year.

Worthy winner. Genuinely can’t remember the last Connacht game he played that didn’t feature some Carty magic, pass to Healy v Ulster, crossfield kick to Healy v Cardiff inside his own 22 and the chip try, turned game around v Treviso in twenty minutes with superb try he started inside his own half the highlight, etc Done well in his cameos for Ireland too.

Even with the praise he has received, think his form has still been underrated to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

I'd put my House on Porch being a good signing :D :pac:

LOVE IT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 eulabreaker

Anyone else feeling a little underwhelmed with our recruitment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Anyone else feeling a little underwhelmed with our recruitment?

Very Optimistic about Porch. Fast AND quite strong.

Not that much about Burke, based on the 2 Nottigham I saw
    Waiting for our final "ball-carrier" lock signing.

The Friend Zone
    I’d love to think there’ll be another signing but I just can’t see it, think Kerins was the third

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

connachta wrote: »
    Very Optimistic about Porch. Fast AND quite strong.

Not that much about Burke, based on the 2 Nottigham I saw
    Waiting for our final "ball-carrier" lock signing.

What disappoints me is you hear every year the importance of qualification to the HCUP for attracting players - the qualification for next season HCUP has had no positive impact on our recruitment what so ever.

Lebute wrote: »
    What disappoints me is you hear every year the importance of qualification to the HCUP for attracting players - the qualification for next season HCUP has had no positive impact on our recruitment what so ever.

It's a World Cup year, which generally means a quiet season for signings.
    We also only qualified for the HC with one game to go in the season. Signings usually start around January.
    We have minimal appeal for most players.
    People need to be reasonable
    We have a good track record of signing players from the Championship

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I trust Friendy and the branch but when they mentioned NIQ earlier this season they said the signing was dependent on CC rugby. This lad is a 7's lad with little union pedigree that I can see. He defo won't up any season ticket sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

I trust Friendy and the branch but when they mentioned NIQ earlier this season they said the signing was dependent on CC rugby. This lad is a 7's lad with little union pedigree that I can see. He defo won't up any season ticket sales.

Are we eligible for another NIQ budget allowing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

The NIQ rules were never particularly transparent or rigid, is there any information on what the policy is since the residency period was extended to 5 years? Are the IRFU still actively pursuing project players?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Connacht like all the provinces have a budget to work to, it will be the smallest budget as the portion that comes from sponsorship and gate receipts will be the lowest of the 4. Don’t think they will get extra off the irfu for another player they will either have cash available or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Does anybody know when our sponsor deals run out ?

Happy birthday Dave Foley, next Connacht lock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Does anybody know when our sponsor deals run out?
    which?
    BOI has 2 years to run. elverys is up now i think at end this season

which?
    BOI has 2 years to run. elverys is up now i think at end this season

The Elverys one. Hopefully we can get a better deal with the Champions Cup exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

salmocab wrote: »
    Connacht like all the provinces have a budget to work to, it will be the smallest budget as the portion that comes from sponsorship and gate receipts will be the lowest of the 4. Don’t think they will get extra off the irfu for another player they will either have cash available or not.

Seeing how Ulster have received serious help over the past 12 months from the IRFU and Munster before that I had hoped we might get a little something especially as the province is obviously performing possibly even above expectations. But that won't last without improving your squad because if you're not improving you are going backwards.

Right now I think the squad is arguably slightly weaker than it was last season. Let alone better. Now maybe that will change. Let's hope so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Seeing how Ulster have received serious help over the past 12 months from the IRFU and Munster before that I had hoped we might get a little something especially as the province is obviously performing possibly even above expectations. But that won't last without improving your squad because if you're not improving you are going backwards.

Right now I think the squad is arguably slightly weaker than it was last season. Let alone better. Now maybe that will change. Let's hope so anyway.

It could also be possible that some of our budget and Irfu support is going to be tied up in the new stadium.

No reason why with good coaches the players we have can’t continue to improve as they’ve done this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

KBurke85 wrote: »
    It could also be possible that some of our budget and Irfu support is going to be tied up in the new stadium.

No reason why with good coaches the players we have can’t continue to improve as they’ve done this season

Could be alright. Full planning permission just been granted.

The Friend Zone
    Paddy McAllister named as tight head sub for Gloucester

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

They have? Please enlighten us. I'm pretty sure your guess is off the mark. Ulster have a smaller squad than Connacht and have been helped so much by the IRFU that the side are dependent on Academy players such as:-

Eric O'Sullivan,

Tom O'Toole,

Marcus Rea,

Matty Rea,

Matthew Dalton,

Robert Baloucoune,

Dave Busby,

Angus Curtis,

Greg Jones,

Adam McBurney,

Jack Owens,

Johnny Stewart,

Aaron Hall,

James Hume,

Angus Kernohan,

Michael Lowry,

I suspect that Ulster have deeper pockets than Connacht because of much bigger crowds and better sponsorship deals. It is these facts rather than Ulster getting lots of mythical help which is any better than Connacht receives. Ulster have recruited well from a very poor place partially of their own making and partially as a result of actions taken by the Union. The seemingly good recruitment is perhaps on the basis that coaches and players see Ulster as an attractive place to go and see a new squad developing that might at last get to the required level. Good crowds, a state of the art training facility and the most modern and up to date rugby stadium in Europe. The moves of the likes of Moore, Cooney, McGrath and Murphy were all instigated by the players themselves for their own advantage. They weren't 'moved' there by Nucifora. When he tried to move Carbery to Ulster that player chose differently.

Ulster got a new CEO because they needed one, the previous one was a waste of blood and organs. They got a new Head Coach because they really needed one. These new guys applied for their jobs and were lucky enough to get them. They weren't flown in by the IRFU just as the staff in Galway were appointed by Connacht.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Paddy McAllister named as tight head sub for Gloucester

Weird.. maybe bealham moved back to LH if Kenny/Burke prove to be ok and if needed.. thanks for the piece of news...

connachta wrote: »
    Weird.. maybe bealham moved back to LH if Kenny/Burke prove to be ok and if needed.. thanks for the piece of news...

He's covering Tighthead from the bench because they are stuck. Connacht don't need to or won't move Bealham to LH unless we are very stuck just like Gloucester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Good news for Connacht fans. Planning permission for their new 30 million euro development of the Sportsground, has been granted. As a Munster fan I hope that everything goes smoothly. That's the very least the Connacht fans deserve, to whom I have always had great time for.

On a separate note, a certain Mr. Varadkar was there in Galway for the announcement. You know that an election is on the way. Talk about a man looking for a good pr photo shoot!

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1129344415020060672

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Be better if Varadkar had announced funding approval for the stadium, but maybe the fact he was there suggests it will be forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Be better if Varadkar had announced funding approval for the stadium, but maybe the fact he was there suggests it will be forthcoming.

https://twitter.com/linleymackenzie/status/1129361422121668610?s=19

And for those who can't see twitter in work:
    Linley MacKenzie

Good news for Connacht Rugby- Taoiseach Leo Varadkar in his visit to Sportsground today, says he’s “very confident” Connacht Rugby’s new stadium plan will receive funding from Government’s large scale sporting infrastructural fund.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Just waiting for a poster to deflate us all with their "intimate knowledge" of Leo Varadkar's list of preferences for that funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Mul, it's over
    Eh. Why didn't Munster just ask for 20 mil off the government?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement