Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lebute wrote: »

Johnny McPhillips to Connacht supposedly.

Seems a bit pointless. Not good enough to challenge Carty. Probably no better than what's already in reserve there at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
      Any source on this at all?
      FWIW I'd like to see Mcphillips come in, would be a lot more comfortable with him starting during September/October than Fitz horwitz or Dean

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

At the end of last season, McPhillips played a huge part in rescuing Ulster from the wreckage of the season. He was really good and got better game on game. Many of us are disappointed that he got little opportunity this season. No wonder he looked rusty. I think he will become a very fine player and would prefer it was at Ulster. He is a better player at this stage of his development than Carty ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Wegians89 wrote: »
      No offense to mcphillips but apart from a bit more experience at senior level he doesn’t offer much more than Fitzgerald/ dean. Johnston has a higher potential than all of them so that made some sense.

Well if you saw them at underage McPhillips was far the better player... I would take McPhillips over Johnson all day...

McPhillips is very fine player who never got the backing in Belfast...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
      CowboyTed wrote: »
      Well if you saw them at underage McPhillips was far the better player... I would take McPhillips over Johnson all day...

McPhillips is very fine player who never got the backing in Belfast...

Saw them both at u20s and thought Johnston could have a big future, didnt really get that feeling with mcphillips. That could be due to me having heard more hype around Johnston and paying more attention to him.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Would a stupid signing. Horwitz is gonna get a few starts if Carty is gone WC with one of the other two as replacements.

Have heard from multiple sources that Horwitz is a spoofer and will do very well to get another pro contract anywhere in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lucas44 wrote: »
      Have heard from multiple sources that Horwitz is a spoofer and will do very well to get another pro contract anywhere in the world

What? He's already had 27 caps for the Waratahs, he wasn't exactly an unknown commodity before he came over. He'd get another Super Rugby contract no problem if he headed back.

The Friend Zone
      Andy friend on Galway bay fm saying the squad is done now for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Meaning that they have signed all the contracts that they're going to or that they have announced all of the contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Mr Tickle wrote: »
      Meaning that they have signed all the contracts that they're going to or that they have announced all of the contracts?

I would assume announced all the contracts , which for supporters is good at least we have closure.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone

That that’s it no more renewals, New players or promotions from academy. I think he said it’s a 42 man senior contracted squad and that’s it, one less than last season. He expects more academy players to steal up next season like Boyle

Yikes.

I know the stadium redevelopment might be eating into the budget but it's possible we have a weaker squad heading into next season that we finished this season with, considering some very useful players have departed.

Basically asking the academy graduates to have an instant impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
      Jesus I was buzzing for next season and the CC but all that is gone now. How the hell do we not have the budget for a Super Rugby signing when we have pulled off at least one a season for the last while. New stadium or not we badly need a quality back three player. Don’t think an Aussie with little or no 15’s experience will cut it. Wonder what they were talking about re the signing that was dependant on CC qualification?! Think anyone we signed would have joined regardless!

The Friend Zone
      Redo91 wrote: »
      Jesus I was buzzing for next season and the CC but all that is gone now. How the hell do we not have the budget for a Super Rugby signing when we have pulled off at least one a season for the last while. New stadium or not we badly need a quality back three player. Don’t think an Aussie with little or no 15’s experience will cut it. Wonder what they were talking about re the signing that was dependant on CC qualification?! Think anyone we signed would have joined regardless!

Ulster are the only Irish Province who have gone out and improved. I think it’s proving to be extremely difficult to sign quality at the right price this summer. I’d expect if Connacht can secure challenge cup rugby again next season, then next summer will see better quality coming in.

The Friend Zone
      From the squad announced last year there’s one less player

McCabe- McAllister
      Conan- matty Burke
      Carey - Rory Burke
      Cannon - Conor Kenny (one less lock for an extra prop)
      Claffey - not replaced
      Connolly - Boyle
      Conor mckeon - kerins
      Mitchell - Lloyd
      Ronaldson - Fitzgerald
      Griffin - Daly
      Scholes - S. Fitzgerald
      Kelleher- porch

An extra year under their belt for guys in the academy like:

de buitlear
      Dean
      Reilly
      Tierney Martin
      Murray
      Masterson
      Sob3.0

A lot will be expected of the younger lads but I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s a worse squad than this last season. It also isn’t obvious that the squad is much better either.

From the squad announced last year there’s one less player

McCabe- McAllister
      Conan- matty Burke
      Carey - Rory Burke
      Cannon - Conor Kenny (one less lock for an extra prop)
      Claffey - not replaced
      Connolly - Boyle
      Conor mckeon - kerins
      Mitchell - Lloyd
      Ronaldson - Fitzgerald
      Griffin - Daly
      Scholes - S. Fitzgerald
      Kelleher- porch

True but I'd say the overall quality of some of the departing players is better than the arrivals. That may change with game time but I'd be dubious personally.

Goes without saying that you need to be looking to improve your squad and not treading water. On the plus side we probably won't be missing many for the World Cup so that should help us up to Christmas anyway.

The Friend Zone
      True but I'd say the overall quality of some of the departing players is better than the arrivals. That may change with game time but I'd be dubious personally.

Goes without saying that you need to be looking to improve your squad and not treading water. On the plus side we probably won't be missing many for the World Cup so that should help us up to Christmas anyway.

Yeah hopefully an early start can set things up nicely. In the interview with friend he also touched on porch. He said he’s been play 15s for two months now and his first act in 15s was catching a kick off, making a 40 meter break and before throwing an offload for his team to score a try inside the first few seconds. If he can do that for Connacht it’ll be a serious improvement on the usual guarantee of points conceded at a a kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Was McCabe offered a contract somewhere else or is McAllister an upgrade.
      Also surprised they let Connolly go . Although an area of depth it is also a very attritional area and he was a good squad player. Over all the purse strings were managed in a very frugal way this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
      Yeah disappointing not to make at least one big signing who could make an instant impact. Both Fainga’a and Godwin did that this season. Could do with Copeland staying fit, thought he looked good towards end of season. Him staying fit and Gallagher having a real breakthrough season could make a serious impact.

Don’t think the squad is any weaker but it’s hard to argue it’s much stronger either, thankfully rivals don’t look to be making massive strides either and should benefit from World Cup but won’t have the luxury of resting lads the Challenge Cup offered this year.

Have Pro14 confirmed conferences yet no? Think latest I read was same groups except Scarlets and Ospreys switching?

What show was Friend on Wegians?

I haven't heard of McCabe going anywhere else. I find it very strange that he wasn't retained. Surely he's not too expensive and Buckley has been known to miss a chunk of a season.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
      Also surprised they let Connolly go . Although an area of depth it is also a very attritional area and he was a good squad player. Over all the purse strings were managed in a very frugal way this summer.

Haven’t seen McAllister play but from what I’ve read he is apparently a good signing and will probably be best back up loose head Connacht have had in a fair while. But is apparently fairly injury prone too which is a concern considering how inexperienced the other props are.

Agree with you on Connolly, limited games he got never let team down, great for depth.

The Friend Zone
      ClanofLams wrote: »
      Yeah disappointing not to make at least one big signing who could make an instant impact. Both Fainga’a and Godwin did that this season. Could do with Copeland staying fit, thought he looked good towards end of season. Him staying fit and Gallagher having a real breakthrough season could make a serious impact.

Don’t think the squad is any weaker but it’s hard to argue it’s much stronger either, thankfully rivals don’t look to be making massive strides either and should benefit from World Cup but won’t have the luxury of resting lads the Challenge Cup offered this year.

Have Pro14 confirmed conferences yet no? Think latest I read was same groups except Scarlets and Ospreys switching?

What show was Friend on Wegians?
      Galway bay fm, Connacht twitter tweeted a link to it too.

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1131125820624461824?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
      I haven't heard of McCabe going anywhere else. I find it very strange that he wasn't retained. Surely he's not too expensive and Buckley has been known to miss a chunk of a season.

Could be mistaken but only fairly significant stretch I remember Buckley missing was the pro12 title run in? Overall I'd say he's very durable for a tight 5 forward.

Bazzo wrote: »
      Could be mistaken but only fairly significant stretch I remember Buckley missing was the pro12 title run in? Overall I'd say he's very durable for a tight 5 forward.

Dennis Coulson played a lot last season too. It just didn't matter so much since the season was a bit of a dud by then.

Or maybe it just stands out so much when he's missing since he's so important to the pack.

Mul, it's over
      Dennis Coulson played a lot last season too. It just didn't matter so much since the season was a bit of a dud by then.

Or maybe it just stands out so much when he's missing since he's so important to the pack.

He reached his 150th cap recently and made his debut in 2011. Ignoring the fact that he wasn't first choice then rather than injured that means he's played in 150 out of 220 odd possible regular season games over the last 8 years.

Bazzo wrote: »
      He reached his 150th cap recently and made his debut in 2011. Ignoring the fact that he wasn't first choice then rather than injured that means he's played in 150 out of 220 odd possible regular season games over the last 8 years.

Those were 70 crunch games though. ;)

Yeah fair enough. As i said maybe it's just that his absence is felt and he's been the clear first choice that makes it seem like he's out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Hi all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I'm very sorry to see my cousin Conor Carey leaving Connacht. He was a great asset to the team and proved himself up to the last minute. Friend said that he made a huge mistake in letting him go but was trying to call his bluff when Conor said he was leaving in favour of a much better contract from Wocester.

I'll miss going to the sports grounds for the matches and will miss my meals in the Hunstman!

The Friend Zone
      Carty and faingaa named in pro14 team of the year, well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Carty and faingaa named in pro14 team of the year, well deserved.

Carty has had one hell of a breakout season. Supporter's player of the year, Pro14 dream team, and picked up his first Irish caps.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
      Oh dear oh dear... Fitzgerald started banging on about Jarrad Butler after Fainga'a was named in the pro14 dream team

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1131628938973863938?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement