Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Oh dear oh dear... Fitzgerald started banging on about Jarrad Butler after Fainga'a was named in the pro14 dream team

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1131628938973863938?s=19

His lack of knowledge or interest in rugby outside Leinster is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Oh dear oh dear... Fitzgerald started banging on about Jarrad Butler after Fainga'a was named in the pro14 dream team

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1131628938973863938?s=19

I really wish there had been a close up on his face when the Welsh lad spoke about Butler. I can imagine the realisation hit then :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wegians89 wrote: »

His Leinster rugby knowledge isn't far off being a disgrace either.

A poor man's attempt of copying Austin Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

His Leinster rugby knowledge isn't far off being a disgrace either.

A poor man's attempt of copying Austin Healy.

He's an awful pundit. His one saving grace is that his old teammates seem to like him for some reason. He's able to get quality guests for his podcast. They're getting Furlong this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    I really wish there had been a close up on his face when the Welsh lad spoke about Butler. I can imagine the realisation hit then :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Highly doubt he would have copped it even then. Hes ability to speak confidently on things he has not idea about rivals Franno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    freyners wrote: »
    Highly doubt he would have copped it even then. Hes ability to speak confidently on things he has not idea about rivals Franno

Probably too busy mentally patting himself on the back for nailing it with his 5 minutes of googling in the jacks before the show started

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    That's the value of going to the right school dear boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's really unfair.

He knows f*ck all about Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Is Fainga’a known for his ball carrying? I thought he was more of a workhorse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

baas baa wrote: »

He runs some fantastic lines. Doesn't always break the tackle but he's a classy player. But as you said he's won he's a great man to win dirty ball.

I'd imagine he's on a 2 year deal and if so we should be going all out to retain him.

Not really related but he's an absolute gent off the pitch.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    baas baa wrote: »

Not his tight carrying really but he's made quite a few breaks and he's pacey enough, good for an offload and great for link play too. Quintessential 7 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Mul, it's over

Ah Franno. Now there is a man who knows his own mind. Consistently, rampantly, wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

He runs some fantastic lines. Doesn't always break the tackle but he's a classy player. But as you said he's won he's a great man to win dirty ball.

I'd imagine he's on a 2 year deal and if so we should be going all out to retain him.

Not really related but he's an absolute gent off the pitch.

That's what I figured as well but it didn't really tally with the Welsh lads description of him, was wondering whether he'd seen a lot of him either, or just saw the South Sea Islander name and opted for the bruising ball carrier stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Thoughts on butler remaining captain next year? Not sure he should start for us, as good as he is our back row and pack is too light in the big games with both him and Colby.. maybe Colby would be better used off the bench for butler in the games or is Colby the better player

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Thoughts on butler remaining captain next year? Not sure he should start for us, as good as he is our back row and pack is too light in the big games with both him and Colby.. maybe Colby would be better used off the bench for butler in the games or is Colby the better player

I think the pack is lightweight in general but especially when Roux is missing. Good enough to be good in the Pro 14 but I'd worry that Europe will be very tough going for us next season.

Love to have a Bill Mata or Coetzee type that can carry ball over the gain line consistently.

The Friend Zone

I’d agree that the back row is too lightweight with faingaa and butler starting, especially when roux and/or sob aren’t playing. having the quality of butler/faingaa coming off the bench in big games would be huge. It’ll be interesting to see if Copeland can get a good run injury free, if he could slot in at 8.

Mul, it's over
    Can't see either of them being dropped the way they are playing and don't think they should be. Our two first choice locks are destructive ball carriers and our first choice 6 is too.

Mul, it's over
    Heff, Bealham and Niyi in the babas squad for the Quilter cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Have heard from multiple sources that Horwitz is a spoofer and will do very well to get another pro contract anywhere in the world

In terms of his playing ability or is there an attitude/ personality problem?

Either way it's a shame that he will be taking a wage for another year if he has already been written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

In terms of his playing ability or is there an attitude/ personality problem?

Either way it's a shame that he will be taking a wage for another year if he has already been written off.

I'm sure if he was that bad he'd have been let go. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to settle. A few months will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I'm sure if he was that bad he'd have been let go. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to settle. A few months will tell I suppose.

Deegan was let go a year early due to not being up to the standard, I’m sure Horwitz would be too if he was similarly not up to stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Mul, it's over
    When is the group stage draw being made? I presume its sometime in june

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    hermano wrote: »
    When is the group stage draw being made? I presume its sometime in june

All the info is here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057983877

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Congrats to Bundee/Kieran/Jack/Ultan and Finlay.

Disappointing for Roux but one would expect he will be called in if there is an early injury given previous history.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

1163667.jpg

Three years ago today

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bit of surprise in Roux not even making the extended Ireland squad. Usually been a favourite of Joe's. Looks like Kleyn who qualifies in September has taken his spot.

Tom Farrell didn't make it either.

Hard on the lads but good for Connacht probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Bit of surprise in Roux not even making the extended Ireland squad. Usually been a favourite of Joe's. Looks like Kleyn who qualifies in September has taken his spot.

Tom Farrell didn't make it either.

Hard on the lads but good for Connacht probably.

Kleyn is qualified August 8th

Quinn has had that virus since the 6 nations

The Friend Zone
    Eoin mckeon officially has contract renewed, not surprising given he wasn’t on the list of players leaving.

Seems to be just a one year extension

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Quick question for Connacht fans,
    Has Ultan Dillane ever togged out at blind-side flanker?
    If he had that string to his bow it might be beneficial for making the RWC squad, as he's up against Tadhg Beirne who has experience at 6 and 8 as well as lock.
    Ultan certainly has the dynamism and size to cut it at blind-side flanker, I just can't recall if he has played there much or at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Quick question for Connacht fans,
    Has Ultan Dillane ever togged out at blind-side flanker?
    If he had that string to his bow it might be beneficial for making the RWC squad, as he's up against Tadhg Beirne who has experience at 6 and 8 as well as lock.
    Ultan certainly has the dynamism and size to cut it at blind-side flanker, I just can't recall if he has played there much or at all.

He has played a couple of games there.

If i was picking a squad though and it was between himself and Beirne and the deciding factor was the ability to play back row I'd be choosing Beirne

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement