Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    One or two Gloucester fans left a bad taste in mouth back in the Challenge Cup 1/4 final in 2015.
    Their own fans were apologising on their behalf.
    99% of the fans were good craic, we just had a few idiots near us. It's a pity I still remember them. Shows how a few bad fans can have such a negative impact

Can't let a couple idiots spoil it for you. I've had some bad experiences with some of our own fans at away matches! Gloucester fans I've met have always been sound, proper rugby supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You've got a Friend in me
    The Shed is amazing atmosphere wise

Mul, it's over
    wp_rathead wrote: »
    The Shed is amazing atmosphere wise

Upstairs in Zzippy's cock is a great place to watch a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Upstairs in Zzippy's cock is a great place to watch a game.

I'm glad I went into the off topic thread first, or this post would have been very confusing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Oyonnax for friendly on August the 16th!
    You'll get my report!

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    You'll get my report!

Whether we want it or not :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    You'll get my report!

Home or away? There is nothing official announced yet that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    evil_seed wrote: »

Away I'd say we often have training camps in France.

Most likely home game will be v Bristol

evil_seed wrote: »

In Oyonnax near Lyon, yes

Whether we want it or not :P

You want it so much, and you're jealous I should see shining Porch playing a game before you:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Friendy gave connachta a well-deserved shoutout on the preseason last year and I was sold as a fan for life.

Friendy gave connachta a well-deserved shoutout on the preseason last year and I was sold as a fan for life.

Semi-ironic stance from you probably, but I take it...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

A little bit off topic but something worth keeping an eye on as depending on how the story develops it could have an affect on Connacht Rugby. https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-greyhound-board-cull-4699206-Jun2019/?utm_source=twitter_short

b.gud wrote: »
    A little bit off topic but something worth keeping an eye on as depending on how the story develops it could have an affect on Connacht Rugby. https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-greyhound-board-cull-4699206-Jun2019/?utm_source=twitter_short

Even if grants dry up and dog racing becomes unviable, the greyhound board will hold out for the maximum return on their long term lease, they won't give it up cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    whether or not greyhounds are still going in the next few years wont matter now as we are rebuilding the stadium on the basis the track is there. Id imagine, even in an event where the IGB exit the SG before the end of next season, that we could not build over the race track due to changes you would need to change plans for new permission.

I had heard a rumour or possibly read one that the IGB had given its price to Connacht when the stadium search was in effect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

You've got a Friend in me
    freyners wrote: »
    whether or not greyhounds are still going in the next few years wont matter now as we are rebuilding the stadium on the basis the track is there. Id imagine, even in an event where the IGB exit the SG before the end of next season, that we could not build over the race track due to changes you would need to change plans for new permission.

I had heard a rumour or possibly read one that the IGB had given its price to Connacht when the stadium search was in effect

IIRC, figure of 20million was put around after we won the Pro12... no idea how true that rumour was.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Just taking a quick shufty at the latest (up to 31st December 2017) accounts for Galway Greyhound Stadium Ltd.

Some quick headline figures:
    • €192,000 loss for that accounting period, in line with a similar figure for the previous year
    • Turnover down to €433k from €491k
    • Food and beverage concession down to €119k from €140k
    • Tote decreased €110k from €1m to €890k. This is booked and managed through Bord na gCon.
    • Long term liabilities to Bord na gCon increased from €1.36m to €1.45m
    If it was the branch of a private company, the liquidator would have been in long ago. Summary execution for the unsuccessful hounds, slow & lingering death spiral for the sport in general with the taxpayer footing the bill.

I don't have a more recent set of accounts to hand for The Galway Agricultural & Sports Society Ltd (the owners of the Freehold on the stadium) but would anyone care to guess what rent they have booked from Bord na gCon in 2014 & 2015?

Robbo wrote: »

I don't have a more recent set of accounts to hand for The Galway Agricultural & Sports Society Ltd (the owners of the Freehold on the stadium) but would anyone care to guess what rent they have booked from Bord na gCon in 2014 & 2015?

Go on, you tease, you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

€1 or €100

nominal amount id say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Just taking a quick shufty at the latest (up to 31st December 2017) accounts for Galway Greyhound Stadium Ltd.

Some quick headline figures:
    • €192,000 loss for that accounting period, in line with a similar figure for the previous year
    • Turnover down to €433k from €491k
    • Food and beverage concession down to €119k from €140k
    • Tote decreased €110k from €1m to €890k. This is booked and managed through Bord na gCon.
    • Long term liabilities to Bord na gCon increased from €1.36m to €1.45m
    If it was the branch of a private company, the liquidator would have been in long ago. Summary execution for the unsuccessful hounds, slow & lingering death spiral for the sport in general with the taxpayer footing the bill.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

€12,000 is the figure.

The Friend Zone
    I was close

€12,000 is the figure.

Jesus Christ, you wouldn't rent a bedsit for two years for that...

The Friend Zone
    How much do the dogs get in rent from Connacht?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, you wouldn't rent a bedsit for two years for that...
    How much do the dogs get in rent from Connacht?
    Hard to work out that figure; it's not particularised in the accounts I was looking at and the IRFU structure is quite opaque in that regard.

For comparison, in the same period the *other* commercial letting in the Sportsground (the carpark) was leased to the Council for €32,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Conan O’Donnell is off to Counties Manuaku.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I haven't been up to Galway for a couple of months. has there been any work on getting the new pitch installed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Any idea when preseason starts and when academy will be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I haven't been up to Galway for a couple of months. has there been any work on getting the new pitch installed yet?

thats a good question. Given that the national team is having a training session there on July 12th I would imagine it's either fully done or not started :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Mr Tickle wrote: »

Pretty sure I read that when the planning came through they said the pitch would be done at the end of the 19/20 season. They are still waiting for funding etc to come through

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement