Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I read that when the planning came through they said the pitch would be done at the end of the 19/20 season. They are still waiting for funding etc to come through

ok, that makes sense - so nothing will be done in the next 12 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Pretty sure I read that when the planning came through they said the pitch would be done at the end of the 19/20 season. They are still waiting for funding etc to come through

Oh really? I thought that the pitch was being done this year. It'd be nice to get the ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Original plans were definitely to have the pitch done this summer between May and August.

https://connachttribune.ie/plans-lodged-for-e30m-connacht-rugby-stadium-030/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Looks like Pre Season started this morning per Copeland on Instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Looks like Pre Season started this morning per Copeland on Instagram

What had he up? It's gone now anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

macslash wrote: »
    What had he up? It's gone now anyway

Probably "I hate Johnny O'Connor". Best he take it down alright... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

New logo, not sure how I feel about it

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1147096464033800192

Edit for those who can't see Twitter at work

dH7ZKsvw_400x400.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

You've got a Friend in me
    Nope, dislike immensely. The older version with the ball looked my h better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Much prefer the old one. Why change it, it was fine as it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    I like the new crest the Connacht symbol being the focus instead of hidden in a ball.

Jersey is very nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Looks like the Spurs crest. I hate it.
    The jersey is the same as last years. Very weak from BLK and the branch alround.
    Why didn't they 1) do a supporters poll on if they want a new crest. 2) do a poll on a number of crests? No need for the re-brand at all! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Check out the gun show on that eagle. He must work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Buer wrote: »
    Check out the gun show on that eagle. He must work out.

He's flying in pre-season apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Probably don't like it as much as the old one but I'm not particularly arsed either way.

Is there a reason teams always seem to want to rebrand or is it just people creating jobs for themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's a bit lazy for a revamp. Reminds me of Juve's crest change.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Logos are being simplified nowadays because they're being consumed in much smaller formats (i.e Social Media).

Detailed crests, like the old Juve one, are just a blur when it appears in a tiny circle on your Twitter/FB feed.

I'm not saying I like it btw, but I'm guessing that's the motivation behind the re-brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Mul, it's over
    Logos are being simplified nowadays because they're being consumed in much smaller formats (i.e Social Media).

Detailed crests, like the old Juve one, are just a blur when it appears in a tiny circle on your Twitter/FB feed.

I'm not saying I like it btw, but I'm guessing that's the motivation behind the re-brand.

That's interesting, and makes sense. I'd say you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Crest is a massive nope for me I have to say.

Jersey is lovely. Not too much of a change but it's a winner for me all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

b.gud wrote: »
    New logo, not sure how I feel about it

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1147096464033800192

Edit for those who can't see Twitter at work

dH7ZKsvw_400x400.png

Suns out guns out, the new logo has been hitting the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I like the new crest.

The new jersey is boring and too like the last one.
    The striped look is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Watters not picked up by Leinster Academy, Connacht should absolutely try and get him

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Watters not picked up by Leinster Academy, Connacht should absolutely try and get him

Agreed-very good.

Is it true that players in Connacht academy such as Dean Marys and Obrien Tarf now have to play with a Connacht Club?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Agreed-very good.

Is it true that players in Connacht academy such as Dean Marys and Obrien Tarf now have to play with a Connacht Club?

It'd be madness if they do, there's no Connacht club in the first division this year after Buccs were relegated. I can understand wanting to keep them closer to the setup and take out the logistics side of training/getting coaches down to watch home games, but it's a bit counter-productive having them playing a lower standard if they were playing 1A.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Agreed-very good.

Yeah it’s true but no academy players will be released for the majority of the first half of the ail season so clubs recruitment will have to be not dependent on academy players

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

It'd be madness if they do, there's no Connacht club in the first division this year after Buccs were relegated. I can understand wanting to keep them closer to the setup and take out the logistics side of training/getting coaches down to watch home games, but it's a bit counter-productive having them playing a lower standard if they were playing 1A.

Exact same applies in Ulster-Greg Jones and Eric O'Sullivan both made leave UCD/Trinity respectively 2 years ago-both dropped from IA teams to Banbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Whilst I respect your point I can't agree with your choice of words as "madness".

Having Connacht's club players within the province was recognised early in the decade as crucial when the PGB was formed. It was seen as being important to have players integrate into the province and not just leave when the home province comes calling. Club affiliation was seen as key, and was mooted by former players that this was an issue. It's no coincidence that Connacht's emergence coincided with Corinthians, Wegians, Buccs having a strong showing about 5/6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Exact same applies in Ulster-Greg Jones and Eric O'Sullivan both made leave UCD/Trinity respectively 2 years ago-both dropped from IA teams to Banbridge

And look how that turned out banbridge almost going up to 1A two years ago and O’Sullivan turning out into a pro.. it’s not about having players closer or any of that, it’s about supporting the clubs in the region with the best players to bring these respected clubs back to a decent standard, it’s not long ago weigans were 1A when they had academy players playing regularly and look at them, corinthians and buccs now.. all should be in higher divisions and this will hopefully help

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Whilst I respect your point I can't agree with your choice of words as "madness".

Having Connacht's club players within the province was recognised early in the decade as crucial when the PGB was formed. It was seen as being important to have players integrate into the province and not just leave when the home province comes calling. Club affiliation was seen as key, and was mooted by former players that this was an issue. It's no coincidence that Connacht's emergence coincided with Corinthians, Wegians, Buccs having a strong showing about 5/6 years ago.

Yeah probably a poor choice of words on my part. I agree that it's a big boost to the local clubs having the availability of players of that calibre, just not sure if it's the correct decision for a competition where the academy players will be only available for part of the season, to force them into joining a lower standard team. Particularly when you can't rely on academy players due to the schedules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Its not so much the issue of having Connacht Clubs so far down the leagues, for me the issue is, how will you ever get the clubs back to the required level if you give your best young players to Dublin clubs?

Connacht need to grow the local clubs, for me the "madness" would be giving some great young players to clubs in a Province that is already overflowing with good talent. The Connacht academy players will develop within the training systems and playing for the Eagles as well where there will be plenty of games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement