Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Its not so much the issue of having Connacht Clubs so far down the leagues, for me the issue is, how will you ever get the clubs back to the required level if you give your best young players to Dublin clubs?

Connacht need to grow the local clubs, for me the "madness" would be giving some great young players to clubs in a Province that is already overflowing with good talent. The Connacht academy players will develop within the training systems and playing for the Eagles as well where there will be plenty of games.

Agree with this. Mightn’t be best for the players in the immediate future but they should help bring up the standards to make Connacht clubs more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Yeah probably a poor choice of words on my part. I agree that it's a big boost to the local clubs having the availability of players of that calibre, just not sure if it's the correct decision for a competition where the academy players will be only available for part of the season, to force them into joining a lower standard team. Particularly when you can't rely on academy players due to the schedules.

Yes, but you can argue the reason these teams aren't doing as well is because their provinces academy players aren't playing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Agree with this. Mightn’t be best for the players in the immediate future but they should help bring up the standards to make Connacht clubs more competitive.

Fully agree, also I believe it’s geeat for the players as they are one of the better players on the team it allows them to grow into a leadership role and bring that into connacht and allows academy coaches to see what type of players they are and can project to be as a focal part of a team opposed to just another squad member in a big club in dublin. Albeit the standard isn’t as good they’ll get that level of rugby in the Celtic cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Whilst I respect your point I can't agree with your choice of words as "madness".

Having Connacht's club players within the province was recognised early in the decade as crucial when the PGB was formed. It was seen as being important to have players integrate into the province and not just leave when the home province comes calling. Club affiliation was seen as key, and was mooted by former players that this was an issue. It's no coincidence that Connacht's emergence coincided with Corinthians, Wegians, Buccs having a strong showing about 5/6 years ago.

Agree completely. I remember a game at Corinthians about 5 years ago playing Buccs on a Friday evening under lights both teams were unbeaten in 1B at the time, top of the table clash, full house, game on local radio. Corinthians won it by a point with the last kick of the game from the touchline. Players in that game like Ultan Dillane, Finlay Bealham, Denis Buckley, James Connolly, Jack Carty, Eoghan Masterson, Danny Qualter and others I am forgetting.

Those are the kind of games that you need back. Sending these players away to other clubs would have been wrong then and it would be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Anyone interested in tickets for the open session tomorrow? Have 4 but unfortunately I can't get the time off to bring my nephew's as planned.
    Anyone wants them pm me and I'll email on.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    James Connolly signed for Nottingham, hopefully works out for him, never let Connacht down.

https://www.nottinghamrugby.co.uk/connolly-joins-the-nottingham-back-row

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Connacht start with Scarlets away, Treviso home, Dragons away and Cheetahs home.

End of season looks fairly tricky Glasgow home Treviso away Ulster home Cardiff away Edinburgh home Munster away

https://www.pro14rugby.org/match-centre/fixtures/

3 home Friday night games in the Pro 14, wooooooo
    Leinster (Nov 8th)
    Scarlets (Mar 20th)
    Glasgow (Apr 10th)

4 home Saturday night (19:35) matches:
    Treviso (Oct 5th)
    Cardiff (Feb 15th)
    Ulster (Apr 25th)
    Edinburgh (May 16th)

3 Saturday evening (17:15) games:
    Cheetahs (Oct 26th)
    Kings (Nov 30th)
    Munster (Dec 21st)

Really happy with the times, and Fridayness of some games

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Connacht start with Scarlets away, Treviso home, Dragons away and Cheetahs home.

End of season looks fairly tricky Glasgow home Treviso away Ulster home Cardiff away Edinburgh home Munster away

https://www.pro14rugby.org/match-centre/fixtures/

Ospreys away being our 5th match, before Leinster at home on 8th Nov. Really should be looking to be unbeaten in the first 5 before meeting Leinster.... easier said than done of course! Particularly with probably the 2 most difficult of those first 5 being away.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Mul, it's over
    Is priority access working for people? Can't seem to get past the Buy Tickets on Android phone

• Advertisement

Some Like It TOH
    Would the dates/times be subject to change for tv etc or is this all concrete do we know? Looking to see what away trips might suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    testtech05 wrote: »
    Would the dates/times be subject to change for tv etc or is this all concrete do we know? Looking to see what away trips might suit!

No those Are the times for the season

Some Like It TOH
    No those Are the times for the season

Great thanks

* don't say it* * don’t say it* * don’t say it* ...
    Good to see sevu Reece be rewarded for his super rugby form with a start for the Abs in rugby championship at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

With all the other provinces having named their academy intakes I'm curious to see who we bring in. The following Ireland u20s are without an academy spot. I’m assuming that Adamson is a done deal.

John McKee (u20) - Hooker
    Ryan Lomas - Prop
    Luke Masters - Prop
    Charlie Ward (u20) - Prop
    Ciaran Booth (u20) - Backrow
    Luke Clohessy - Backrow
    Ronan Watters - Backrow
    Cormac Foley - Scrumhalf
    David Ryan - Centre
    Max O'Reilly (u20) - Back 3
    Conor Phillips - Back 3
    Rob Russell - Back 3

Of course last year we signed u19s and u18s as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

With all the other provinces having named their academy intakes I'm curious to see who we bring in. The following Ireland u20s are without an academy spot. I’m assuming that Adamson is a done deal.

Ryan Lomas - Prop
    Luke Masters - Prop
    Luke Clohessy - Backrow
    Ronan Watters - Backrow
    Cormac Foley - Scrumhalf
    David Ryan - Centre
    Conor Phillips - Back 3
    Rob Russell - Back 3

McKee and Foley also blocked by the IRFU from joining the Leinster academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

McKee and Foley also blocked by the IRFU from joining the Leinster academy.

What was the reason for them being blocked?

Ryan Lomas - Prop
    Luke Masters - Prop
    Luke Clohessy - Backrow
    Ronan Watters - Backrow
    Cormac Foley - Scrumhalf
    David Ryan - Centre
    Conor Phillips - Back 3
    Rob Russell - Back 3

Lomas in connacht sub academy, out of that list the only players I’d be interested in is booth/watters or Phillips/Russel.. Phillips was starter in 6nations when fit so would be a good coup in a position we are light in

The Friend Zone
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    Lomas in connacht sub academy, out of that list the only players I’d be interested in is booth/watters or Phillips/Russel.. Phillips was starter in 6nations when fit so would be a good coup in a position we are light in

Wouldn’t say no to a starter from that 20s team but dno if I’d say light in the back three. Is there not a few there already? De buitlear, balaski, Hayes mcnulty
    Potentially Peter Sullivan too. Hugh lane in the sub-academy.

Would really like watters.

I know. He's very highly thought of in Wegians, although the Ireland u20 management clearly didn't rate him. Either he or Liam Winnett will probably be brought in this season, maybe both.
    Agree with with regards to the rest, although we currently have three back rows and four wing/fullbacks in the academy.

• Advertisement

I know. He's very highly thought of in Wegians, although the Ireland u20 management clearly didn't rate him. Either he or Liam Winnett will probably be brought in this season, maybe both.
    Agree with with regards to the rest, although we currently have three back rows and four wing/fullbacks in the academy.

Would take either of the two available back 3 over Conor Hayes seeing as he didn’t make any 20 squad this year, Mark balaski going to France for the year on an Erasmus and debuitler should be looking at breaking through full time to senior set up at this year but If Peter sullivan is coming he’d be the no1 priority

Would take either of the two available back 3 over Conor Hayes seeing as he didn’t make any 20 squad this year, Mark balaski going to France for the year on an Erasmus and debuitler should be looking at breaking through full time to senior set up at this year but If Peter sullivan is coming he’d be the no1 priority

Would love to see us take a punt on Suliivan, think we've been crying out for a powerful winger for years.

The Friend Zone
    Heard from a few peter Sullivan is done. He’s following private Connacht academy pages on Instagram too so that seems true

3 home Friday night games in the Pro 14, wooooooo
    Leinster (Nov 8th)
    Scarlets (Mar 20th)
    Glasgow (Apr 10th)

4 home Saturday night (19:35) matches:
    Treviso (Oct 5th)
    Cardiff (Feb 15th)
    Ulster (Apr 25th)
    Edinburgh (May 16th)

3 Saturday evening (17:15) games:
    Cheetahs (Oct 26th)
    Kings (Nov 30th)
    Munster (Dec 21st)

Really happy with the times, and Fridayness of some games

I can't agree with this.

We fought and petitioned long and hard to stop Friday night games happening in the Sportsground ten years ago. Our attendance averages went from 1,800 to 3,800 in one season when the Friday night games were scrapped.

Friday night games exclude everyone outside of Galway City.

E.g. Why in the name of god would you buy a season ticket now if you were from Sligo if its physically not possible to attend a number of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I can't agree with this.

We fought and petitioned long and hard to stop Friday night games happening in the Sportsground ten years ago. Our attendance averages went from 1,800 to 3,800 in one season when the Friday night games were scrapped.

E.g. Why in the name of god would you buy a season ticket now if you were from Sligo if its physically not possible to attend a number of games.
    and traffic in the city is bad enough as it is getting to games on fridays is ****e. Saturday evenings are best. Ref a game in morning. Watch a game in afternoon then connacht at 5.30/6.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Number 137

Is Ciaran Booth not already in the Sale Sharks Academy?

I can't agree with this.

Everyone? Hold up. I lived in Dublin for 5 years and had a season ticket.
    I managed to make the majority of Friday night games.

The atmosphere on Friday nights top any other alternative IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Number 137 wrote: »
    Is Ciaran Booth not already in the Sale Sharks Academy?
    he is and signed a long term contract a while back I think.

ok everyone is exaggerating a bit but Saturdays get far more people and for me you get a better atmosphere on Saturday evenings.

How? Game's were at 19:35. There must of been a catch? I can't see how someone would get off at 5pm, would get home, get out of Dublin city in rush hour traffic, get into Galway on a Friday evening, find parking, get up to the Sportsground, manage to have food, etc in 2 and a half hours.

I'm not doubting you have, but I am sure you can understand my skepticism.

Also again while you might have, it makes no difference to the fact that the fan's forum identified this as thee primary reason for not being able to attend games. And since the change the attendances doubled overnight with those questioned highlighting the day and time.

• Advertisement

he is and signed a long term contract a while back I think.

ok everyone is exaggerating a bit but Saturdays get far more people and for me you get a better atmosphere on Saturday evenings.

Ok, I said it my last post that Friday nights have the best atmosphere. I'm happy to concede that there is very little between Friday and Saturday evenings.
    I dont think we generally have had too many games on Saturday evenings, at the 19:35 slot. Maybe I'm wrong about that. 17:35 seemed way more regular.

Saturday nights have the most games this season, with 4.
    Then followed by Friday evening with 3.

I can only talk for myself, but the more games at night time, the better.
    Alcohol is only topped by a tight game when it comes to creating an atmosphere. I've been to so many HC and league matches at 13:30 or 15:00 on a Saturday, where the atmosphere has been non-existent.

Anyway, we've no control over it. I've no idea what you're talking about in relation to your petition 10 years ago.
    Average attendances really only started increasing over 3,000 in 2011 when we qualified for the HC, and we played plenty of Friday night games up until about 2 years ago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement