Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

How? Game's were at 19:35. There must of been a catch? I can't see how someone would get off at 5pm, would get home, get out of Dublin city in rush hour traffic, get into Galway on a Friday evening, find parking, get up to the Sportsground, manage to have food, etc in 2 and a half hours.

I'm not doubting you have, but I am sure you can understand my skepticism.

Also again while you might have, it makes no difference to the fact that the fan's forum identified this as thee primary reason for not being able to attend games. And since the change the attendances doubled overnight with those questioned highlighting the day and time.

I'd start work early on the Friday, and leave work at 4. I'd get the 4:15 Gobus to Galway. Be in Galway at 18:45. Usually someone would collect my bag, and I'd grab a pint, and go to the Sportsground
    I also took some half days

Can you provide some more information about this survey? I'm struggling to remember it (not saying it didnt happen).
    What I do question, is your evidence for attendances doubling. I've been a season ticket holder since 2010 and going to games since 06. I have never noted any correlation between an increase in attendance and the timing of fixtures

Attendance jumped with the arrival of HC Cup rugby, and the building of the Clan Terrace

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fridays suit me, but it's not about me, it's about getting the most people in. Fridays suit Ulster, how come they were able to get what they needed for home games?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ok, I said it my last post that Friday nights have the best atmosphere. I'm happy to concede that there is very little between Friday and Saturday evenings.
    I dont think we generally have had too many games on Saturday evenings, at the 19:35 slot. Maybe I'm wrong about that. 17:35 seemed way more regular.

Saturday nights have the most games this season, with 4.
    Then followed by Friday evening with 3.

I can only talk for myself, but the more games at night time, the better.
    Alcohol is only topped by a tight game when it comes to creating an atmosphere. I've been to so many HC and league matches at 13:30 or 15:00 on a Saturday, where the atmosphere has been non-existent.

Anyway, we've no control over it. I've no idea what you're talking about in relation to your petition 10 years ago.
    Average attendances really only started increasing over 3,000 in 2011 when we qualified for the HC, and we played plenty of Friday night games up until about 2 years ago
    theres a reason theres a lot of games Saturday evenings. It's what connacht/ more fans want. Fridays around city are bad enough for travel not to mind adding game crowd on top.
    I prefer 5.30 or so games
    I'd still call them evening games... but fridays dont happen more for good reason and shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I'd start work early on the Friday, and leave work at 4. I'd get the 4:15 Gobus to Galway. Be in Galway at 18:45. Usually someone would collect my bag, and I'd grab a pint, and go to the Sportsground
    I also took some half days

That's what I meant by a catch, most aren't afforded those options, like to leave early, have someone collect their gear, etc.
    Can you provide some more information about this survey? I'm struggling to remember it (not saying it didnt happen).

It was either at the tale end of 2010 or the beginning of 2011. The province set up the Professional Games Board. One of the first things was that they set up a meeting (in the Ardilaun I think or the Days Hotel) for fans to voice their thoughts and concerns. (The meeting essentially helped collect people and helped lead to the formation of the Clan a handful of months later). EDIT: There was also one in The Glasshouse in Sligo, a colleague just informed me.
    What I do question, is your evidence for attendances doubling. I've been a season ticket holder since 2010 and going to games since 06. I have never noted any correlation between an increase in attendance and the timing of fixtures

The games moved primarily from Friday to Saturday in 2011/12 season. In September 2011, Connacht season ticket sales went over the 3,000 mark for the first time in the club's history, and average attendance for the 2011–12 season saw a 105% increase over the previous season. Connacht's average attendance in home Pro12 matches climbed to 4,653 in the 2011–12 season, and increased further to 5,154 for the 2012–13 season.

I don't know how you haven't seen that having games on a Saturday would increase attendance. Do you not think a family in Sligo, Carrick or Boyle is going to find it much more often an option and a reality to go to these games?

Attendance jumped with the arrival of HC Cup rugby, and the building of the Clan Terrace

Certainly. But also because more fans can go to games on Saturdays than Fridays. As highlighted by fans that have stressed they can go on Saturdays, not Fridays. For reasons outlined in numerous posts here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Mul, it's over
    I live in Dublin and like the Friday games too. Always a better atmosphere and leaves the rest of the weekend free.

I'd imagine there are a lot of supporters who work, or go to college, in Galway who would find it handier to get to Friday games than to get back in again on a Saturday.

I haven't noticed many people complaining about Friday games online, nor do I remember any survey result indicating a preference for Saturdays.

The increase in attendances in 2011/12 was 100% down to HC qualification and associated increase in season ticket sales.

I think 4 Saturdays and 3 Fridays is a reasonable split.

[Edit] Actually, it's 3 home games on a Friday, and 7 on a Saturday. What are you even complaining about?

Evil_g wrote: »
    I live in Dublin and like the Friday games too. Always a better atmosphere and leaves the rest of the weekend free.

I'd imagine there are a lot of supporters who work, or go to college, in Galway who would find it handier to get to Friday games than to get back in again on a Saturday.

I haven't noticed many people complaining about Friday games online, nor do I remember any survey result indicating a preference for Saturdays.

The increase in attendances in 2011/12 was 100% down to HC qualification and associated increase in season ticket sales.

There was no survey. At a fan's forum set up by the PGB it was mentioned by a large number. Also number of the clubs also contacted the province stating their preference for Saturday games as with this they could organise buses and the like up and down.

To be clear here, I prefer Friday games. I lived in The Docks in Galway like. I'm just stating what went down at the time.

This also simply isn't true. It certainly had a massive impact but it was not 100% down to this. I worked with numerous people from the clubs around the province, with the branches secretary, and it was mentioned again and again and again and again how the Friday games weren't feasible for fans in Sligo, Ballina, Carrick, Clifden, etc. And that with that sea change they were now able to increase their attendance tenfold. And they did.

Actually, it's 3 home games on a Friday, and 7 on a Saturday. What are you even complaining about?

Friday games are more difficult for the fan base to attend than Saturday games. It's being discussed in the posts above.

Mul, it's over
    Friday games are more difficult for the fan base to attend than Saturday games. It's being discussed in the posts above.

They are more difficult for some of the fan base.

Some people like them.

There are the same number of Friday games this season as there was in the 2011/12 season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Some people like them.

There are the same number of Friday games this season as there was in the 2011/12 season.
    more difficult for majority who are based within the province and CR cant forgery about them. I can quite confidently say the numbers preferring Friday games will be that bit less than those who prefer Saturdays.

Some people like them.

Myself included.

I was simply highlighting that I don't think more should be celebrated, as they are more difficult for some of the fan base. (As in the wider fan base which find Saturdays easier to attend than Fridays as oppose to vice versa).

Mul, it's over
    more difficult for majority who are based within the province and CR cant forgery about them. I can quite confidently say the numbers preferring Friday games will be that bit less than those who prefer Saturdays.

Which is probably why there are more than twice as many games on Saturday this season.

Which is probably why there are more than twice as many games on Saturday this season.

Certainly is. No doubt.

The t- was over that not being acknowledged.

That's what I meant by a catch, most aren't afforded those options, like to leave early, have someone collect their gear, etc.

There are 3 games this season on a Friday night. If you really want to go, can you not book a half day, or day off? It's not really doing anything extraordinary. Say you get 20 days holidays a year. 3 half days leave you with 18.5 days left
    It was either at the tale end of 2010 or the beginning of 2011. The province set up the Professional Games Board. One of the first things was that they set up a meeting (in the Ardilaun I think or the Days Hotel) for fans to voice their thoughts and concerns. (The meeting essentially helped collect people and helped lead to the formation of the Clan a handful of months later). EDIT: There was also one in The Glasshouse in Sligo, a colleague just informed me.

I remember the PGB. Dont remember these meetings, but I'm not doubting you in the slightest
    The games moved primarily from Friday to Saturday in 2011/12 season. In September 2011, Connacht season ticket sales went over the 3,000 mark for the first time in the club's history, and average attendance for the 2011–12 season saw a 105% increase over the previous season. Connacht's average attendance in home Pro12 matches climbed to 4,653 in the 2011–12 season, and increased further to 5,154 for the 2012–13 season.

I don't know how you haven't seen that having games on a Saturday would increase attendance. Do you not think a family in Sligo, Carrick or Boyle is going to find it much more often an option and a reality to go to these games?

In the 2011/2012 season, there were 3 home Connacht matches played on Friday evenings - Dragons, Treviso and Edinburgh
    Same as this season. I disagree that was the major impact in ticket numbers.
    The Clan Terrace and Heineken Cup drummed up a huge amount of interest - imo

There are 3 games this season on a Friday night. If you really want to go, can you not book a half day, or day off? It's not really doing anything extraordinary. Say you get 20 days holidays a year. 3 half days leave you with 18.5 days left

100%. But again, it's a catch. On a Saturday the majority of fan's outside of Galway won't have to that.

I disagree that was the major impact in ticket numbers.
    The Clan Terrace and Heineken Cup drummed up a huge amount of interest - imo

And to be honest I think we are probably being pedantic with one another. From my understanding I'd have it as 50%-60% the reasoning, you would probably have it south of 25%. We'll have to disagree.

100%. But again, it's a catch. On a Saturday the majority of fan's outside of Galway won't have to that.

And to be honest I think we are probably being pedantic with one another. From my understanding I'd have it as 50%-60% the reasoning, you would probably have it south of 25%. We'll have to disagree.

Yes, let's stop.
    People like different days for matches. /fin

I remember the PGB. Dont remember these meetings, but I'm not doubting you in the slightest

First one was in The Sportsground on 20th July 2011. It doubled as the opening of the Connacht Clan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Did we all see the new training gear. I like the look of it. And guess what... I like the crest now. It looks great on the gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Prefer Saturdays myself. Easier to get to, not half as much traffic and allows pints either side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 mark_way

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Heard from a few peter Sullivan is done. He’s following private Connacht academy pages on Instagram too so that seems true

Pity there wasn't space for him at one of the other provinces. Leinster are full of NIQs in the backs, and Munster have a lot of IQ talent like Nash and Daly, so not really space there.

When was the last time Connacht brought anyone through from the academy and turned them into a first 23 player? Has it happened at all since Lam left?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    mark_way wrote: »
    Pity there wasn't space for him at one of the other provinces. Leinster are full of NIQs in the backs, and Munster have a lot of IQ talent like Nash and Daly, so not really space there.

When was the last time Connacht brought anyone through from the academy and turned them into a first 23 player? Has it happened at all since Lam left?

How are Leinster full of NIQs? Gibson Park is about to be IQ. Lowe will be in just over 12 months? Tomane is the only NIQ back they have.

It’s only two seasons since Lam left. Cillian Gallagher has started to break through, Colm De Buitléar got plenty of game time as an academy player this season. Paul Boyle broke through this season and got senior contract. Matthew Burke and Conor Kenny both got game time this season and are on senior contracts this season.

Sullivan will get his chances and if he’s good enough and lucky enough to avoid injury etc will be in progress to a senior contract in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

mark_way wrote: »

Paul Boyle is probably the only one, although we’ve developed a couple of unheralded players from elsewhere like Farrell, Thornbury, and Robertson-McCoy.

We definitely could be doing a lot better, in and leading up to the 2016 season we brought through Bealham, Delahunt, Dillane, O’Brien, Masterson, Blade, Adeolokun, Leader, and probably one or two others I’m forgetting.

Seems like Conor Finn is training with Connacht, according to inpho at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    Thornbury and Farrell are Leinster developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Dubinusa wrote: »

Thonbury is self developed more than Leinster developed. He was dropped out of the academy due to injuries. Worked his own way back into a pro contract with Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over
    Seems like Conor Finn is training with Connacht, according to inpho at least.

Conor Fitzgerald

Conor Fitzgerald

Yeah you're right sorry, it's obviously a data input error. was just scanning through while at work didn't look at the picture properly.

Dubinusa wrote: »

They have developed (improved, progressed, become better at doing rugby) while at Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    They have developed (improved, progressed, become better at doing rugby) while at Connacht.

True. Thornbury was not offered a contract, I believe. Neither was Farrell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement