Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Did dean look like he can step up to seniors? He’ll be third choice if carty goes to japan.

Varied the play nicely, put in some good kicks and long passes, while making a few errors as you’d expect. Was quite passive with ball in hand though which probably contributed to our struggles in attack. Overall I’d say he’s worth a look at senior level, don’t think he’s particularly far behind Fitzgerald anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Varied the play nicely, put in some good kicks and long passes, while making a few errors as you’d expect. Was quite passive with ball in hand though which probably contributed to our struggles in attack. Overall I’d say he’s worth a look at senior level, don’t think he’s particularly far behind Fitzgerald anyway.

Fitzgerald did well to turn the game in our favour vs Oyonnax in 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Godwin was heading for player of the year when he was being played consistently at center at the start of last season. He dipped off when he was being moved around. I’d fully expect him to be first choice with Farrell in the center while the World Cup is on

He's been a really good signing. He's had at least one excellent game in every position he's played, but is definitely best in the centre.

The only fear is if he wants to be nailed on in a particular position so might be unhappy moving around. I think he actually mentioned wanting to play 12 more when he first arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Mr Tickle wrote: »
    He's been a really good signing. He's had at least one excellent game in every position he's played, but is definitely best in the centre.

The only fear is if he wants to be nailed on in a particular position so might be unhappy moving around. I think he actually mentioned wanting to play 12 more when he first arrived.

Played 12 most his career. I think he’d be perfect alternative to bundee at 12 with Farrell at 13. Godwin is a big boy who can handle the physical stuff but could also offer a left footed kicking option outside the ten that could be invaluable at times. Was a bit surprised last season when he was at 13 with Farrell at 12.

Played 12 most his career. I think he’d be perfect alternative to bundee at 12 with Farrell at 13. Godwin is a big boy who can handle the physical stuff but could also offer a left footed kicking option outside the ten that could be invaluable at times. Was a bit surprised last season when he was at 13 with Farrell at 12.

I was thinking the same. Maybe he's the better defender in that channel?

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I was thinking the same. Maybe he's the better defender in that channel?

That was probably it tbh. Would hope that after being in Irish camp last season, Farrell will be more reliable in defense

That was probably it tbh. Would hope that after being in Irish camp last season, Farrell will be more reliable in defense

Just as well he wasn't in Portugal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Connacht playing friendly against Russia in Moscow on September 7th.

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1166380794513952768?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Connacht playing friendly against Russia in Moscow on September 7th.

Interesting! I wonder are the Russians paying for the trip in order to get a decent warm-up game... hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

Zzippy wrote: »
    Interesting! I wonder are the Russians paying for the trip in order to get a decent warm-up game... hope so!

Would have thought so, nice little wedge of rubles I'd say.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Yeah given the expense that would be involved, think it’s safe to say the Russians are forking out for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

ClanofLams wrote: »

I think there's an Irish coach in their setup. His name escapes me for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

It seems only right to dig up this goodie from the Connacht clan twitter account during the first Enesei game

CODRTZ5WwAAsipB.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    b.gud wrote: »
    It seems only right to dig up this goodie from the Connacht clan twitter account during the first Enesei game

CODRTZ5WwAAsipB.jpg:large

Some of my finest Photoshop work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Some of my finest Photoshop work

You made this? If so I'd have to ahree

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    b.gud wrote: »
    You made this? If so I'd have to ahree

Yeah my one year on the clan committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Irish Team named for Wales game

Delighted for Carty.

I think not having a sub there will actually help him settle and show his best side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Do or die for our 3 guys against Top-of-world-team, away from home! Huge challenge, result doesn't matter but overall play will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

connachta wrote: »
    Do or die for our 3 guys against Top-of-world-team, away from home! Huge challenge, result doesn't matter but overall play will

Results matter.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    As always (and what a great thing to be able to say) congrats to kieran and bundee.

But special mention for Jack. As a fan who has seen him struggle and seen him soar, great to see what must have taken a lifetime of work to reach a dream for a oh. He will wear ten for his country. Some achievement

Eagles team:

15. Conor Hayes
    14. Hugh Lane
    13. Seán O’Brien
    12. Luke Carty
    11. Peter Sullivan
    10. Conor Dean
    9. Aran Hehir (u20?)
    1. Matthew Burke
    2. Dylan Tierney-Martin
    3. Rory Burke
    4. Niall Murray
    5. Cormac Daly
    6. Cillian Gallagher (C)
    7. Seán Masterson
    8. Mikey Wilson

Replacements
    16. Declan Adamson
    17. Conor Maguire
    18. Ryan Lomas
    19. Gavin Meagher (u19)
    20. Hubert Costello (u19)
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Diarmuid Kilgallen (u19)
    23. Oran McNulty (u20)

Seem to be going for a lot of bulk in the starting pack. Cormac Daly gets a start after an impressive showing off the bench last week, and Rory Burke and Tierney-Martin come into the front row. Shannon's Aran Hehir gets a shot at scrum half. Thought Culliton went quite well last week, would be harsh to be dropped for an u19, maybe he picked up a knock.

Does anyone know anything about the following players?

Mark Balaski
    Josh Dunne
    Cian Huxford
    Colm Reilly
    Liam Winnett

Jordan Duggan is injured afaik.

The Friend Zone
    Really interesting Luke carty at 12 second week in a row. He played some schools rugby there, thought he would have been moved to 15. Expect to see Gallagher and masterson jnr a fair bit with the seniors this season. Who’s the maguire lad?

The Friend Zone

Mark Balaski
    Josh Dunne
    Cian Huxford
    Colm Reilly
    Liam Winnett

Huxford was released I believe. Thought Reilly was getting an a academy contract

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Eagles team:

15. Conor Hayes
    14. Hugh Lane
    13. Seán O’Brien
    12. Luke Carty
    11. Peter Sullivan
    10. Conor Dean
    9. Aran Hehir (u20?)
    1. Matthew Burke
    2. Dylan Tierney-Martin
    3. Rory Burke
    4. Niall Murray
    5. Cormac Daly
    6. Cillian Gallagher (C)
    7. Seán Masterson
    8. Mikey Wilson

Replacements
    16. Declan Adamson
    17. Conor Maguire
    18. Ryan Lomas
    19. Gavin Meagher (u19)
    20. Hubert Costello (u19)
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Diarmuid Kilgallen (u19)
    23. Oran McNulty (u20)

Seem to be going for a lot of bulk in the starting pack. Cormac Daly gets a start after an impressive showing off the bench last week, and Rory Burke and Tierney-Martin come into the front row. Shannon's Aran Hehir gets a shot at scrum half. Thought Culliton went quite well last week, would be harsh to be dropped for an u19, maybe he picked up a knock.
    Hehir isnt 20s afaik

Mark Balaski
    Josh Dunne
    Cian Huxford
    Colm Reilly
    Liam Winnett

Have they been playing any senior league with clubs? Could be injured otherwis
    Really interesting Luke carty at 12 second week in a row. He played some schools rugby there, thought he would have been moved to 15. Expect to see Gallagher and masterson jnr a fair bit with the seniors this season. Who’s the maguire lad?
    Not that interesting. Played there youths rugby and in school. Hayes is an out and out full back and playing 12 offers good chance to work off Dean
    Think Maguire is same guy who was with wesley last season. From Boyne

The Friend Zone
    Meant that it was interesting that he was kept there. Could be his long term position rather than 10. Had personally thought he’d be a 15 long term.

Would be great to have a second playmaker/ kicking option from 12 in the senior team. At the minute you’ve bundee, Daly and Robb who are all a bit more physical. Godwin could do the job but seems to be played more at 13.

The Friend Zone
    Eagles 13-0 up after 15 minutes

The Friend Zone
    Eagles 27-12 up at half time. Tried from Murray, lane and dtm

• Advertisement

Finished 40-19. Nice to see the Eagles picking up a few wins as generally we struggle in the A competitions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement