Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Scarlets (A)
    Benetton (H)
    Dragons (A)
    Cheetahs (H)
    Ospreys (A) (Wales make semis and no players will be back, even if they’re knocked out in quarters be surprised to see many taking part)

Serious chance to get off to an excellent start. Five wins should be the aim. Connacht need them too as with Heineken Cup interprov December to January period squad is very likely to get stretched thin later in season. 62 points should guarantee playoffs pick up twenty plus in these five and only need forty or so from the other sixteen games.

Mul, it's over
    Squad of 24 named for Russian friendly. Guess there was a limited amount of spaces as Russians probably covering the bill.

Good to see Quinn Roux involved, think it was last March or April when he got injured and don’t think he has played since.

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-announce-squad-of-24-to-play-russian-national-team-in-moscow/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Karins and Lloyd the only 9s traveling, hopefully Kerins gets a good run out

Mul, it's over
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Karins and Lloyd the only 9s traveling, hopefully Kerins gets a good run out

Yeah given the likes of TOH, Healy, Heffernan etc aren’t traveling I’d say there’s certain guys they haven’t seen too much of playing such as the 9s, Daly, Porch etc they want to give game time too. Would be great for Kerins to break though this season, seems like a big season for him, he must be nearly as gutted as Marmion that the latter isn’t Japan bound.

I don’t suppose there’s much of hope of it being streamed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Anyone know if the match is going to be televised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

You've got a Friend in me
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the match is going to be televised?

I’ve noticed a lot of these pre WC games showing up in full on Youtube after the fact, even if they’re hard to find live keep an eye out for some mad Russian youtube channel with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    I’ve noticed a lot of these pre WC games showing up in full on Youtube after the fact, even if they’re hard to find live keep an eye out for some mad Russian youtube channel with it.

Connacht have confirmed the game will be live on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Eagles team to play Ulster this afternoon:

15. Oran McNulty (u20)
    14. Hugh Lane
    13. Seán O’Brien
    12. Luke Carty
    11. Peter Sullivan
    10. Conor Dean
    9. Aran Hehir
    1. Conor Maguire
    2. Dylan Tierney-Martin
    3. Ryan Lomas
    4. Niall Murray
    5. Joe Maksymiw (c)
    6. Seán Masterson
    7. Lucas Culliton (u20)
    8. Mikey Wilson

Replacements
    16. Declan Adamson
    17. Adam Burke
    18. Adam Coyle
    19. Cormac Daly
    20. Hubert Costello (u19)
    21. Evan Kenny (u20)
    22. Shane Jennings (u19)
    23. Diarmuid Kilgannen (u20)

Oran McNulty comes in for Conor Hayes at fullback, he was probably the standout back on last year's u19 team. Otherwise backs are unchanged. Conor Maguire (previously of Old Wesley) and Ryan Lomas deputise for Matthew Burke and Conor Kenny, who are in Russia. Joe Maksimyw replaces Cormac Daly and also captains the side. Lucas Culliton is back in the side after a strong showing against Dragons, Cillian Gallagher drops out of the squad entirely and Sean Masterson moves back to 6.

Assume "Adam Burke" is a typo. Adam Coyle is a Leinster capped St Mary's tighthead, not sure the extent of his involvement with Connacht. Corinthian's Evan Kenny replaces Stephen Kerins on the bench. Shane Jennings is the best homegrown back prospect we've had in a while, today will be his first appearance for the Eagles should he come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Connacht have confirmed the game will be live on YouTube

Could someone please tell me when its on? Thanks!

The Friend Zone
    mogwai81 wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me when its on? Thanks!

5pm Saturday Irish Time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Team for tomorrow https://www.connachtrugby.ie/quinn-roux-to-captain-connacht-against-russia-in-moscow/

(15-9) Darragh Leader, John Porch, Tom Farrell, Tom Daly, Stephen Fitzgerald, David Horwitz, Angus Lloyd,
    (1-8) Denis Buckley, Jonny Murphy, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Gavin Thornbury, Quinn Roux, Eoin McKeon, Paul Boyle, Robin Copeland.

Replacements (16-24): Tom McCartney, Matthew Burke, Conor Kenny, Ultan Dillane, Eoghan Masterson, Stephen Kerins, Conor Fitzgerald, Niyi Adeolokun, Jarrad Butler

Bit disappointed that Kerins isn't starting. Absolutely no disrespect to Lloyd whatsoever meant and hopefully he proves me wrong but he seems like a bit of a journeyman and I had big hopes for Kerins but he doesn't seem to be impressing behind closed doors since the u20s

The Friend Zone
    Excited to see how pitch and Horwitz get on today

The Friend Zone
    Excited to see how pitch and Horwitz get on today

Early lead for Connacht. Daly with the try. Lovely worked try. Interesting that Leader took the conversion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Tom Farrell is bringing Putin's Russia to its knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Well, Leader's our kicker

Mul, it's over
    Russia look poor, hard to take a lot of positives from this so far. Haven’t been overly impressed by Lloyd, Horwitz or Porch who looked out of position for their try. Lineout hasn’t gone well. Leader and Fitzgerald are good kicking options for 22 clearances.

Expect Connacht to pull away a bit in second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Russia look poor, hard to take a lot of positives from this so far. Haven’t been overly impressed by Lloyd, Horwitz or Porch who looked out of position for their try. Lineout hasn’t gone well. Leader and Fitzgerald are good kicking options for 22 clearances.

Expect Connacht to pull away a bit in second half.

Roux and McKeon are playing very well and do damages

Thornbury had a good half too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Russia are ridiculously unfit.

They will be destroyed in the world cup unless they get some "extra special Olympics juice"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    Russia are ridiculously unfit.

They will be destroyed in the world cup unless they get some "extra special Olympics juice"

Lad singing at half time was on something

• Advertisement

Stevie Fitz scored a try that bounced off his tits and the Russian fans are not happy

The Friend Zone
    Stevie Fitz scored a try that bounced off his tits and the Russian fans are not happy

All in all they look fit. I expect daly fitz to have better years. Leader looks strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Does anyone know if tickets for the game away to Gloucester are on sale yet? I can't seem to find them on the Gloucester site.

Mul, it's over
    Watched most of the game. Similar thoughts, I think a few ex players on here are six months of full time training away from being good enough for Russia. They look very amateur, I turned off the game and my main thought was concern for these lads welfare. They arent in condition to be put on the same pitch as top tier rugby nations and some of these lads will get hurt.

Otherwise a well drilled performance from Connacht. Some lovely counter attacking and seemed happy to defend for parts of the game.

Darragh Leader must have the longest range field kick in Irish rugby. Monster boot on him.

The Friend Zone
    Watched most of the game. Similar thoughts, I think a few ex players on here are six months of full time training away from being good enough for Russia. They look very amateur, I turned off the game and my main thought was concern for these lads welfare. They arent in condition to be put on the same pitch as top tier rugby nations and some of these lads will get hurt.

Otherwise a well drilled performance from Connacht. Some lovely counter attacking and seemed happy to defend for parts of the game.

Darragh Leader must have the longest range field kick in Irish rugby. Monster boot on him.

I expect Farrell to bring leader in next year

The Friend Zone
    Yeah I’d agree that the Russians shouldn’t be playing in the World Cup. There was a scrum after 20 odd minutes yesterday and there was 4 or 5 of their players struggling to catch wind. That was against Connacht in their second preseason game. How will theses lads fair out against Ireland or Scotland?

The Friend Zone
    gally74 wrote: »
    I expect Farrell to bring leader in next year

Think leader will be nailed on first choice 15 for Connacht this season. He’s better defensively and has a better kicking game than toh. Would like to see toh on the wing.

The Friend Zone
    Tom Farrell and Daly were pretty impressive in midfield I thought. Conor Fitzgerald looks a better 10 than Horwitz. Stephan Fitzgerald will push Healy for a starting spot this season. Porch looks like a pace merchant. Hope to see him adapt to 15s, think it’ll be a while before he is really ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

You've got a Friend in me
    Full match, in Russian

https://youtu.be/_i6uYqaKAEM

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Tom Farrell and Daly were pretty impressive in midfield I thought. Conor Fitzgerald looks a better 10 than Horwitz. Stephan Fitzgerald will push Healy for a starting spot this season. Porch looks like a pace merchant. Hope to see him adapt to 15s, think it’ll be a while before he is really ready.

Agree. Can see TOH, healy getting bench time next year. Fitz is full of energy. Daly looks fit and leader looks back and stronger than ever

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement