Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    When is the craggy podcast back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 craggyrugby

Wegians89 wrote: »
    When is the craggy podcast back?

The podcast is back this Thursday, just in time for the Scarlets match.

The Friend Zone

Brilliant missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Fantastic podcast guys.

The Friend Zone
    Anyone know anything about heffernan, delahunt or Murphy’s injury status? wouldn't like to think they’re injured but Tierney Martin getting a debut would be very exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Anyone know anything about heffernan, delahunt or Murphy’s injury status? wouldn't like to think they’re injured but Tierney Martin getting a debut would be very exciting.

Delahunt in the training pics from this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

https://inpho.ie/cache/inpho/38/ef/7f/a6b77669adb2e1b6df59d5324acde3aff208b13242/INPHO_01610300.jpg

Both here today but Dave wearing a sweater,

McCartney to start, Delahunt on the bench would be likely..

My team of choice

1) Buckely
    2) McCartney
    3) Bealham
    4) Dillane
    5) Thornbury
    6) Boyle
    7) Fainga'a
    8) Butler
    9) Marmion (point to prove)
    10) C.Fitzgerald
    11) Healy
    12) Farrell
    13) Godwin (covering 10 if Robb slots in)
    14) S.Fitzgerald
    15) Leader

16) Delahunt
    17) McAlister
    18) McCoy
    19) Roux (not thrown straight in a full-game after a long-term injury)
    20) E.Masterson
    21) Marmion
    22) Robb
    23) TOH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Tierney Martin also in training pics. Good to see Heffernan and Delahunt are fit or nearly there but given they haven’t played at all in warmups, wouldn’t rule out Tierney Martin being on bench if they think he’s ready.

Expect Blade will start given Marmion has only been involved last ten days but great to have both and whoever comes on should make big impact. Can definitely see logic in Godwin covering ten and having two bench players who can come on and make a bigger impact than Conor Dean can at this stage in his development but at same time not really a big fan of having Godwin cover different positions. He played everywhere last season from 10 out bar fullback and thought he suffered a bit for it.

Guys coming from Super Rugby are often significantly better in second season, Aki was iirc. Think Godwin could be contender for player of season, would prefer he was let focus on centre.

The Friend Zone
    Would like to see Godwin given a proper run in a single position. Think his contract is up after this season and I expect it’ll be hard to keep him. Dean set up Robb’s try very nicely against Munster and has been on fire for the eagles apparently. He’ll be needed in a few weeks so might as well stick him on the bench. Is Horwitz injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 craggyrugby

Murphy is following Return to Play protocols following HIA against Munster.
    Heff has a calf muscle and is due to return in October.
    Delahunt back in full training.

Full Injury report will be in the podcast on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    Would like to see Godwin given a proper run in a single position. Think his contract is up after this season and I expect it’ll be hard to keep him. Dean set up Robb’s try very nicely against Munster and has been on fire for the eagles apparently. He’ll be needed in a few weeks so might as well stick him on the bench. Is Horwitz injured?

Jesus are himself and Fainga’a out of contract at the end of season? Might be tough to keep both. Can imagine there will be plenty of interest.

The Friend Zone
    Redo91 wrote: »
    Jesus are himself and Fainga’a out of contract at the end of season? Might be tough to keep both. Can imagine there will be plenty of interest.

Not sure how long faingaa’s contract is but godwins was definitely was only 2 years and he had talked about going back and getting more international caps.

Fainga'a is probably the best recruit we've had since Bundee. Very underrated but does everything right. IQ just before RWC 2023, I can imagine a destiny as Kleyn one, if IRFU sees the potential in him. 32 y.o will still be ok.
    Of course I know there are VdF and Leavy, but he's virtually 3rd choice already IMO (sorry for J.Murphy)

The Friend Zone
    Y
    connachta wrote: »
    Fainga'a is probably the best recruit we've had since Bundee. Very underrated but does everything right. IQ just before RWC 2023, I can imagine a destiny as Kleyn one, if IRFU sees the potential in him. 32 y.o will still be ok.
    Of course I know there's VdF and Leavy, but he's virtually 3rd choice already IMO

Yeah he’s become vital, hope they move heaven and earth to keep him. Godwin could be replaced but faingaa would be a huge loss

I even do think he'll make me forget about Heenan this season, which was smth unlikely, as Jake was a huge loss.
    But Colby is proving to be as good, and less injury-prone, so Hurrah for the recruting staff..

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Mul, it's over
    Of course I know there are VdF and Leavy, but he's virtually 3rd choice already IMO (sorry for J.Murphy)

It just struck me reading that, where do we stop with trying to get as many non Irish players onto the Irish team as possible? I'm not stirring, but there's talk of James Lowe qualifying soon. I'd prefer to see an Irish system that can produce international quality players through the academies, but I feel this current model if it continues will just push younger players abroad much younger than they would've thought.

The Friend Zone
    Dno if it means anything butter following back line was pictured in bibs in training:

Blade
    Fitzgerald
    Healy
    Daly
    Godwin
    Fitzgerald
    TOH

Could easily be the back line for the weekend. Forwards wearing bibs doesn’t seem to suggest much though

Dno if it means anything butter following back line was pictured in bibs in training:

Blade
    Fitzgerald
    Healy
    Daly
    Godwin
    Fitzgerald
    TOH

Could easily be the back line for the weekend. Forwards wearing bibs doesn’t seem to suggest much though

I highly doubt Farell will be omited. Highly

The Friend Zone
    I highly doubt Farell will be omited. Highly

I highly doubt it too, but the rest of the back line is what I’d be expecting. Could be a knock or something although Farrell was training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I even do think he'll make me forget about Heenan this season, which was smth unlikely, as Jake was a huge loss.
    But Colby is proving to be as good, and less injury-prone, so Hurrah for the recruting staff..

Much and all as I liked Heenan, and he was a great player, he was perpetually injured, so he wasn't a huge loss. Fainga'a would be a much bigger loss to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Fainga’a was named in the Pro14 team of the season and is a fan favourite in Connacht so I don’t think he’s underrated really. The length of his contract was never disclosed but if it does expire this season he’ll have a lot of interest from elsewhere, especially France.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Apologies if I am late to the party here. Documentary talking with rodney and his mental health. Worth your 15 mins

https://youtu.be/zlMVu9CXgqk

Fainga’a was named in the Pro14 team of the season and is a fan favourite in Connacht so I don’t think he’s underrated really. The length of his contract was never disclosed but if it does expire this season he’ll have a lot of interest from elsewhere, especially France.

Underrated in an all-Ireland POV. I was not even listened when I said before the Ulster playoff he's matching J.Murphy. I think he does. I am a big fan of Leavy/VdF and I honestly admit they're nailed on for Ireland but Colby is virtually 3rd choice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Underrated in an all-Ireland POV. I was not even listened when I said before the Ulster playoff he's matching J.Murphy. I think he does. I am a big fan of Leavy/VdF and I honestly admit they're nailed on for Ireland but Colby is virtually 3rd choice

No he isn't. Not even close

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    No he isn't. Not even close

Discuss. Murphy's good, but not better. Fainga'a does everything right, constantly. Not brillant, so good

The Friend Zone
    Discuss. Murphy's good, but not better. Fainga'a does everything right, constantly. Not brillant, so good

I’d agree that as an out and out 7 faingaa is as good if not better than Murphy. Murphy is probably the better player though given his versatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over

Track record. Murphy has done it at the very highest level

The Friend Zone
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Track record. Murphy has done it at the very highest level

Faingaa has over 100 super rugby caps. Something people forget. That’s a high standard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Agree Colby underrated. No one outside Connacht is going to say he is on par with Murphy because Murphy has performed at higher levels than him, delivering for Ireland. Fainga’a is a serious operator though, players player of the year last season and at Melbourne in super rugby previously, Australian u20s captain etc.

Champions cup rugby will give him a chance to prove his abilities at higher level, for the vast majority who don’t follow Super rugby.

Connacht recruitment last season was unbelievably good. Fainga’a Godwin and Reece, incredible. Wonder how much was down to Kieran Keane. Pity it couldn’t have ended on good terms, seems like he would be an excellent Southern Hemisphere scout.

Edit - Actually think Fainga’a was a friend signing? So Keane didn’t have anything to do with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement