Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

connachta wrote: »
    Again they let him go also because he had a super rugby opportunity, to gain maturity. Doesn't mean he was far from Burke. Now even less, with the Southern hemisphere experience.

Anyway he went off after 63 min, uninjured, on his final game, having accumulated good gametime to come back fully operational if needed

40' A gap opened in the defence and Conan O'Donnell took full advantage.

That's not correct, he was let go and then the Sun wolves opportunity came along, not the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

BTW Peter McCabe would be ready to come into the game very quick too, he play Celtic Cup with Munster so he should also be fit

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Had thought he wasn’t being renewed regardless at the end of the season so when the opportunity came up to play super rugby Connacht let him go early ?

Probably, my point was the difference with M.Burke was marginal, this Super Rugby experience might even change the picking order, and if he was called in the South, that's because he is not badly rated...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    BTW Peter McCabe would be ready to come into the game very quick too, he play Celtic Cup with Munster so he should also be fit

Yeah he has been training with Munster seniors for most of preseason. He’d be the most likely I’d be looking to get back. Was very surprised when he was let go but looking back McAllister looks a level above.

Of course best would be McAllister not badly injured, but I've doubt about this
    what about SOB/Copeland recovery

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    O’Donnell would probably be a cheaper option than McCabe. Tbh I’d like to have a fourth loose head so I’d take either back with open arms.

Would like to see jack Kelly given a chance if back three injuries are bad. Think he could have a very similar impact to S. Fitz who didn’t really get a look in at Munster.

The Friend Zone
    Of course best would be McAllister not badly injured, but I've doubt about this
    what about SOB/Copeland recovery

Think both will be back training soon, Copeland should be back sooner. Feel Connacht back row options are fairly injury prone and an extra body might be no harm. I see Jack Lam doesn’t have a contract post World Cup. Maybe Pat could have a word, if there is recruitment in that area.

O’Donnell would probably be a cheaper option than McCabe. Tbh I’d like to have a fourth loose head so I’d take either back with open arms.

Would like to see jack Kelly given a chance if back three injuries are bad. Think he could have a very similar impact to S. Fitz who didn’t really get a look in at Munster.

I'd give Peter Sullivan a shot before, as Leader won't be out for long I think, will he..

The Friend Zone
    I'd give Peter Sullivan a shot before, as Leader won't be out for long I think, will he..

Yeah it all depends on the lengths of injuries. If players are back in 3 weeks that’s only two matches missing so not the end of the world.

Yeah it all depends on the lengths of injuries. If players are back in 3 weeks that’s only two matches missing so not the end of the world.

That's why I insist on LH, I can't see Paddy fit for Europe on time... And we're lighter than elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Don't see the branch dipping in to it's pockets for a medical joker just yet. If Buckley was to pick up an injury then yes but not just yet.
    Who is next in line after M Burke at LH ?

The Friend Zone
    FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Don't see the branch dipping in to it's pockets for a medical joker just yet. If Buckley was to pick up an injury then yes but not just yet.
    Who is next in line after M Burke at LH ?

Probably bealham or Duggan in the academy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Probably bealham or Duggan in the academy

Duggan has a long term injury afaik. So next up based on the Celtic Cup would be Conor Maguire.

Duggan has a long term injury afaik. So next up based on the Celtic Cup would be Conor Maguire.

FFS we CAN'T play European Champions Cup with a 20 y.o uncapped LH 3rd choice, so risky... even the 2nd choice is so still unexperienced (Matt Burke). We need McCabe or O'Donnell to add some "alternative" at least, if McAllister has to miss the November games

FFS we CAN'T play European Champions Cup with a 20 y.o 3rd choice, so risky... and the 2nd choice is still unexperienced (Matt Burke). We need McCabe or O'Donnell if McAllister has to miss the November games

We'll have to wait and see on McAllister but I agree. Hard to know what will happen when we're not privy to the details behind McCabe and O'Donnell's departures.

We'll have to wait and see on McAllister but I agree. Hard to know what will happen when we're not privy to the details behind McCabe and O'Donnell's departures.

Somewhere else then. But LH is not a position we can rely on 1st year Academy. To face Toulouse Montpellier and Gloucester at least

Somewhere else then. But LH is not a position we can rely on 1st year Academy. To face Toulouse Montpellier and Gloucester at least

Maguire's not even in the academy. Hopefully the Craggy Rugby lads will have some good news for us during the week.

BTW 3rd choice was hooker 2 years ago..
    https://www.oldwesley.ie/conor-maguire-selected-for-irish-students/

And if we move Bealham to LH, the same problem will be moved to TH. + Non-sens to "freeze" our international 1st choice TH on the bench behind Buckley

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Pretty sure Robertson-McCoy can prop either side also.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Pretty sure Robertson-McCoy can prop either side also.

He was moved to TH for some reasons. It just didn't work out for him on the left side. Would be a big mistake to move him back there just when he seems to step up as TH

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Does Rodney ah you have a contract anywhere?

Dave has not been a LH. For 10 years now:D
    But i get your point, move McCoy to LH and AhYou on the bench TH. Not a big fan to take this risk. And O'Donnell/McCabe won't be more expensive.

Still under contract with Newcastle I guess, living there with his family.
    Coulson plays in ProD2, too bad, would have been handy too...

The Friend Zone

Can’t see coulson playing in Ireland again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Get out! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Not a snowballs chance in hell the IRFU would let Coulson within an arm's length of playing with a province given all that's gone on. He's still under investigation in France, the trial hasn't finished.

There's another decent experienced possiblity : Sean McCarthy, 29 y.o from Bedford Blues. Problem is he's Captain there, I doubt they let him go like they did for Farrell

The Friend Zone
    Could look at AIL players too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Tom McCartney is also an option when Heff is fit again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    who's injured? what have I missed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement