Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Wonder what it was about haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Toh and McAllister both out till after Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Wegians89 wrote: »

I was a little bewildered by our lack of depth at loosehead before the season began and now I'm quite worried. Don't wish to be harsh on a young player but Matthew Burke is a bit off European rugby yet imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I was a little bewildered by our lack of depth at loosehead before the season began and now I'm quite worried. Don't wish to be harsh on a young player but Matthew Burke is a bit off European rugby yet imo.

Chances of Peter McCabe getting a call? And who was the best out-of contract back 3 player at the WC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Chances of Peter McCabe getting a call? And who was the best out-of contract back 3 player at the WC?

A three month contract for McCabe would seem like the best outcome for both parties but we don't know the circumstances behind his departure. I'd like to see us back our depth in the back 3, assuming Leader is close to being fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

A three month contract for McCabe would seem like the best outcome for both parties but we don't know the circumstances behind his departure. I'd like to see us back our depth in the back 3, assuming Leader is close to being fit.

Unless it was a very bad parting i'd be surprised if he refused. The fact that he was training with munster makes me think he hasn't had many offers.

I guess we do still have Marmion covering the back 3 :pac:

The Friend Zone
    I’m very surprised McCabe wasn’t kept regardless of McAllister coming in, we really needed 4 loose heads to compete in two fronts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Was sure of that:mad: We're ok for back-3, but need a 3-month-joker for LH

The Friend Zone
    Looks like Niyi will be starting at the weekend, he was up on media duty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Yeah guessing it’s Healy, Niyi, Fitzgerald with Porch on the bench. 13 weeks on the bounce is going to be a serious test of squad depth. Andy Friend mentioned in interview with RTÉ radio that Carty and Aki will be back available for Leinster game and will get a rest period around Christmas.

• Advertisement

Looks like Niyi will be starting at the weekend, he was up on media duty

yeah, my idea too...
    But where's Leader??

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    yeah, my idea too...
    But where's Leader??

He was going for a scan after he pulled out of Treviso pre game I think? Don’t think there’s been an update since but haven’t listened to Craggy rugby preview yet so maybe there’s an update on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Did think it very possible Marmion might consider a move. Hopefully he stays but couldn’t hold it against him if he did decide to go. It would complicate my general dislike for Saracens though.

Shi*.
    Schmidt didn't help TBH.
    But Murray will probably be retired in 2023, he has still a RWC to play

Mul, it's over
    Shi*.
    Schmidt didn't help TBH.
    But Murray will probably be retired in 2023, he has still a RWC to play

In his shoes it would be hard not to be thinking he was no.2 for three years, did well whenever given the chance and then was abruptly dropped. I would certainly be very tempted by a move to Saracens with a likely hefty salary increase.

Mul, it's over
    Having said that, this is still the Indo who reported last year TOH was strongly considering a move to Munster about three hours before his contract renewal was announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Having said that, this is still the Indo who reported last year TOH was strongly considering a move to Munster about three hours before his contract renewal was announced.

Marmion will get serious money in france or england, and who could blame him.

Hes a proven int player, with a good injury profile,

And been dicked about by Ireland

On top of that hes a gentleman,

Im sure leo c would take him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    gally74 wrote: »
    Marmion will get serious money in france or england, and who could blame him.

Hes a proven int player, with a good injury profile,

And been dicked about by Ireland

On top of that hes a gentleman,

Im sure leo c would take him

Be a good move for Marmo especially as now Blade is pushing him for first choice here

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Agent talk.

• Advertisement

I just can't accept the "sweet" reactions anytime a major player leaves.
    Yes Bundee and Marms are out of contract and authorized to go, it's professional sport.
    But it's not good, not faithful, and still a sign Connacht can't preserve its squad.
    Carr departure was demaging, Henshaw was, Heenan was. We can't re-build again and again, with promising players slotting in for "sure bets". That's the exact definition of a development province. For once we have 2 great -international- players in 1 position. Leinster have tons of. And we can't even retain this sitution. A big blow if true.

Mul, it's over
    I just can't accept the "sweet" reactions anytime a major player leaves.
    Yes Bundee and Marms are out of contract and authorized to go, it's professional sport.
    But it's not good, not faithful, and still a sign Connacht can't preserve its squad.
    Carr departure was demaging, Henshaw was, Heenan was. We can't re-build again and again, with promising players slotting in for "sure bets". That's the exact definition of a development province. For once we have 2 great -international- players in 1 position. Leinster have tons of. And we can't even retain this sitution. A big blow if true.

Carr move was a long time ago, second time was obviously Connacht choice to release. I don’t know whether Connacht wanted to keep Heenan or not but the poor lad was incredibly injury prone, unavailable more often than not and because of that (he was excellent when available) not a massive loss.

If Marmion was considering an offer from another province I would be fairly annoyed. I’m not saying sweet, he has been and is a huge player for Connacht but it’s hard to blame him considering an offer like this given the way Ireland squad selection went.

I hope Marmion will stay and think Aki will.

Was talking about 1st move for Carr of course. About Heenan, Lam considered bad luck has to end and he's regularly in the 23 despite competition now.

For Marmion, he has to forget about Schmidt era. It's over. He has all his chance, will be 31 in 2023, if he stays along with Farrell. I don't think he should feel threatened by McGrath or Cooney. Of course a brilliant U20 SH can emerge this year, and just be ready in 2023, but not that likely...

Carr move was a long time ago, second time was obviously Connacht choice to release. I don’t know whether Connacht wanted to keep Heenan or not but the poor lad was incredibly injury prone, unavailable more often than not and because of that (he was excellent when available) not a massive loss.

If Marmion was considering an offer from another province I would be fairly annoyed. I’m not saying sweet, he has been and is a huge player for Connacht but it’s hard to blame him considering an offer like this given the way Ireland squad selection went.

I hope Marmion will stay and think Aki will.

Mul, it's over
    Was talking about 1st move for Carr of course. About Heenan, Lam considered bad luck has to end and he's regularly in the 23 despite competition now.

For Marmion, he has to forget about Schmidt era. It's over. He has all his chance, will be 31 in 2023, if he stays along with Farrell. I don't think he should feel threatened by McGrath or Cooney. Of course a brilliant U20 SH can emerge this year, and just be ready in 2023, but not that likely...

Fair enough on Heenan, delighted to see it going well for him and long may it last but there are guys who for whom injuries don’t stop coming until they retire at a relatively young age.

I think that would be easier if a new coach was coming in for Ireland with no preconceived views but it’s the same ticket with Mike Catt joining, who will presumably be guided by the view of others in the set up initially at least. If Farrell does have a markedly different opinion to Schmidt in relation to the scrum half pecking order, I am sure Marmion will be made aware.

I just meant I don’t think this move would be Connacht related, if Marmion was playing for Ulster I could see the same thing happening. Connacht have progressed from where they once were and kept players (Aki,Dillane,TOH) in spite of competition from clubs/provinces both within and outside Ireland.

Fair enough on Heenan, delighted to see it going well for him and long may it last but there are guys who for whom injuries don’t stop coming until they retire at a relatively young age.

I think that would be easier if a new coach was coming in for Ireland with no preconceived views but it’s the same ticket with Mike Catt joining, who will presumably be guided by the view of others in the set up initially at least. If Farrell does have a markedly different opinion to Schmidt in relation to the scrum half pecking order, I am sure Marmion will be made aware.

I just meant I don’t think this move would be Connacht related, if Marmion was playing for Ulster I could see the same thing happening. Connacht have progressed from where they once were and kept players (Aki,Dillane,TOH) in spite of competition from clubs/provinces both within and outside Ireland.

I remember well the joyful day Aki and Dillane re-signed. Connacht were grown-up this day. Major event, nearly on a par with the title or first HCup win. But we can regress too. This year recruitement shown we're short financially (thought I've decent hopes in Porsh). LH precarity is the greatest sign...

Mul, it's over
    I remember well the joyful day Aki and Dillane re-signed. Connacht were grown-up this day. Major event, nearly on a par with the title or first HCup win. But we can regress too. This year recruitement shown we're short financially (thought I've decent hopes in Porsh). LH precarity is the greatest sign...

I’m not sure it’s a financial issue in regards to recruitment, Leinster and Munster made no major signings either. Ulster had a couple of nice signings alright, I would guess that might be to try tonrevive interest, their attendances have dropped a couple of thousand over the last few seasons.

For me the most important thing in the next couple of years is the stadium redevelopment gets done. Who knows how far away the next recession is, there seems to be an opportunity now to get it done but if it’s not completed that can easily fade away. Having top class stadium and facilities will go a long way towards safeguarding the future. It will also result in increased crowds and greater level of interest in Connacht.

For me the most important thing in the next couple of years is the stadium redevelopment gets done. Who knows how far away the next recession is, there seems to be an opportunity now to get it done but if it’s not completed that can easily fade away. Having top class stadium and facilities will go a long way towards safeguarding the future. It will also result in increased crowds and greater level of interest in Connacht.

Totally true. Best insurance policy against any disband on long-term. Not a 100% one though, look at Ospreys/Scarlets and their beautiful stadiums (rather empty you may say...)

Mul, it's over
    Totally true. Best insurance policy against any disband on long-term. Not a 100% one though, look at Ospreys and their beautiful stadium (rather empty you may say...)

I wouldn’t be worried about disbandment personally but regression to the sh*t days of picking up four or five wins a season, don’t think that’s at all likely in the short term. The chances of it happening in the long term would be greatly reduced by new stadium and facilities.

More generally it’s a really good opportunity for the IRFU to strengthen rugby in the west. Connacht have grown a lot over the last ten years but there’s market for it to grow much more, there isn’t much sport in Galway for sports fans, Galway United have been struggling for a long time and their base isn’t ideally located anyway, Galway GAA is going reasonably well in some ways (on field not so much off field) but Pearse Stadium is bit of nightmare to get to, has no floodlights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    In fairness we replaced Jake Heenan with Colby so I don't think we're worse off after that

• Advertisement

KBurke85 wrote: »
    In fairness we replaced Jake Heenan with Colby so I don't think we're worse off after that

Injured too, right now:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement