Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Know it could but Gallagher was converted in back-row for a reason.
    And Joe is really physically impressive. We were a bit light tonight, he could help (Dillane/Roux/Macksimyw would be strong!)

Don’t think Gallagher has been converted to a back row yet. Think he’s wearing 20 because he’s the best option with sob, mckeon, faingaa and Copeland all out. Think it’s only Sean masterson/ not fully fit Copeland available. Gallagher has been on the bench with 20 on his back twice I think but has come on in the second row both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Don’t think Gallagher has been converted to a back row yet. Think he’s wearing 20 because he’s the best option with sob, mckeon, faingaa and Copeland all out. Think it’s only Sean masterson/ not fully fit Copeland available. Gallagher has been on the bench with 20 on his back twice I think but has come on in the second row both times.

Dillane played back-row today when Gallagher came in?:)

The Friend Zone
    Dillane played back-ro today when Gallagher came in?:)

Both roux and thornbury went off? It was Gallagher and dillane in the second row

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Any word on Thirnbury injury? He looked in serious pain, holding wrist or hand from where I was standing...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Any word on Thirnbury injury? He looked in serious pain, holding wrist or hand from where I was standing...

"just" fell bad on the ground, rather frustrating injury, 3 weeks before Europe is such a short time to recover... Weakened scrum (McAli), weakened lineout (Thorn), sun will be our best ally...

• Advertisement

Peter Gaughan
    @shelflife68
    rugby ref

Watched it when I got home, Cheetahs loose head clearly bored in on the Connacht tight head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Watched from Kyoto on a dodgy stream. Up til half 3, wrecked but well worth it. The last 10 minutes were crazy. Fair play to the lads to back up the brave call.

Hope Thornbury isn't as serious as looked. Second row is kind of light. After Cillian and Joe, who else is there? Can't expect Quinn and Ultan to go every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Everdene

Mul, it's over
    Zzippy wrote: »

I thought - maybe elbow dislocation?

macslash wrote:
    Hope Thornbury isn't as serious as looked. Second row is kind of light. After Cillian and Joe, who else is there? Can't expect Quinn and Ultan to go every week.

I had an illumination tonight:D
    We desperatly a ball-carrier. We need a lock-cover? We have both in one due to come back from injury really soon. We tend to forget about Robin Copeland!!!

As Godwin covering 10 to 14, he can cover 5 to 8 (and jump in the lineout)

For interpros/European big games we could very well have

4) Dillane
    5) Roux
    19) Copeland (coming in as 6/8 until one of the locks get tired, then moving in the engine machine)
    20) Another Back-row

The Friend Zone
    I had an illumination tonight:D
    We desperatly a ball-carrier. We need a lock-cover? We have both in one due to come back from injury really soon. We tend to forget about Robin Copeland!!!

As Godwin covering 10 to 14, he can cover 5 to 8 (and jump in the lineout)

For interpros/European big games we could very well have

4) Dillane
    5) Roux
    19) Copeland (coming in as 6/8 until one of the locks get tired, then moving in the engine machine)
    20) Another Back-row
    When sob comes back too he has cover lock before too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OldRio

I watched the game on Premier Sport. The commentary was obviously done in a studio.
    The sound levels were all wrong. Dreadful and cheap production values.
    Never again. I'll stick with TG4 in future for the TV coverage.

When sob comes back too he has cover lock before too

You prefer SOB as 5 rather than Copeland? The latter is is clear ball-carrier, that's why I'd give him the nod.

The Friend Zone
    You prefer SOB as 5 rather than Copeland? The latter is is clear ball-carrier, that's why I'd give him the nod.

Nope prefer sob at 6 but just another option due to the lack of option

Nope prefer sob at 6 but just another option due to the lack of option

I mean if someone has to take the n°19 shirt as it's probable, would you prefer SOB or Copeland here?

The Friend Zone
    I mean if someone has to take the n°19 shirt as it's probable, would you prefer SOB or Copeland here?

I’d if the starting locks are good and starting back row is strong and 20 is strong I’d prefer sob as I think he’s just a better player than Copeland. More than likely though sob would go straight into the starting back row but if it’s a straight shoot out between the two id pick sob.

Personal preference doesn’t really matter though, there’s 12 more games in this block of fixtures so you need all the options you can have. If thornbury is out for a while you’ll most likely see sob, Copeland and even Eoin masterson (who slotted in at second row last season the odd time late in matches), play at second row.

I’d if the starting locks are good and starting back row is strong and 20 is strong I’d prefer sob as I think he’s just a better player than Copeland. More than likely though sob would go straight into the starting back row but if it’s a straight shoot out between the two id pick sob.

Personal preference doesn’t really matter though, there’s 12 more games in this block of fixtures so you need all the options you can have. If thornbury is out for a while you’ll most likely see sob, Copeland and even Eoin masterson (who slotted in at second row last season the odd time late in matches), play at second row.

Yes, but maybe Macksymiw will be used 1st TBF
    My only "thing" about Copeland is he's the one in our squad who carries...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Andy Friend on Marmion speculation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/andy-friend-hopeful-kieran-marmion-will-stay-at-connacht-1.4064145?mode=amp

Had a quick look back at game this morning, was interesting to see Dave Heffernan and Paul Boyle were vocal about wanting to for scrum at end, heffernan rightly pointing out it was only risking one point.

Could be a big moment in the season, would be no major shock if the gap was less than those three extra points between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th at end of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Andy Friend on Marmion speculation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/andy-friend-hopeful-kieran-marmion-will-stay-at-connacht-1.4064145?mode=amp

Had a quick look back at game this morning, was interesting to see Dave Heffernan and Paul Boyle were vocal about wanting to for scrum at end, heffernan rightly pointing out it was only risking one point.

Could be a big moment in the season, would be no major shock if the gap was less than those three extra points between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th at end of season.

Wasn't aware there was even speculation about him leaving, it's an interesting one with Blade going well and being snubbed for the RWC. Certainly wouldn't be keen to let him go but it'd be interesting to see where his head is it on the whole thing.

Mul, it's over
    Wasn't aware there was even speculation about him leaving, it's an interesting one with Blade going well and being snubbed for the RWC. Certainly wouldn't be keen to let him go but it'd be interesting to see where his head is it on the whole thing.

Yeah Saracens makes some sense with McCall there who probably keeps closer eye on Ireland/provinces than a lot of coaches and Wigglesworth is 36, but there’s rumours they are going to be punished for breaching salary cap after World Cup. Lam will likely be in with offer too.

He’s in Galway almost a decade though so hopefully he decides to stick around and try to get back in the Ireland squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Mul, it's over
    Niyi looks in great shape physically, seemed quicker than ever when he attacked the inside shoulder for Marmion’s try.

A lad on TG4 (might have been Swift) was saying he set a 10m PB recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Conor Fitzgerald seems like an absolute gem. Really happy with how well he's going at 10 for a 21 year old.

Mul, it's over
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Conor Fitzgerald seems like an absolute gem. Really happy with how well he's going at 10 for a 21 year old.

Definitely, he showed some glimpses last season but don’t think anyone could have expected this. Appreciate Munster had Bill Johnston and the u20s ten from last season along with a host of senior tens at the time but hard to believe they released him after one year in academy.

Really good depth in back line now, four excellent options at half backs, likewise in the centres, Farrell has to start after that cameo but think Robb and Godwin have had great starts, great to see Robb getting a break from injuries, heard he’s highly rated by coaches, which I suppose is obvious given he got new contract after hardly playing for two seasons.

Great to see porch going so well last night, I thought he might struggle for a fair while after only taking 15s back up few months ago to be honest but looked very good last night and lightning, given how he stayed well clear of Rhyno Smith for intercept non try.

Bazzo wrote: »

Made Carty's absence far less consequential it should have been. Nice surprise

Definitely, he showed some glimpses last season but don’t think anyone could have expected this. Appreciate Munster had Bill Johnston and the u20s ten from last season along with a host of senior tens at the time but hard to believe they released him after one year in academy.

Really good depth in back line now, four excellent options at half backs, likewise in the centres, Farrell has to start after that cameo but think Robb and Godwin have had great starts, great to see Robb getting a break from injuries, heard he’s highly rated by coaches, which I suppose is obvious given he got new contract after hardly playing for two seasons.

Great to see porch going so well last night, I thought he might struggle for a fair while after only taking 15s back up few months ago to be honest but looked very good last night and lightning, given how he stayed well clear of Rhyno Smith for intercept non try.

Totally right, Porch is impressive under high ball too for his height

Leader's back, back-line is definitely not a problem. Forwards are, especially LH and 2nd row...

Mul, it's over
    Totally right, Porch is impressive under high ball too for his height

Leader's back, back-line is definitely not a problem. Forwards are, especially LH and 2nd row...

We’re fine in second row at the moment, four senior second rows available is decent, Leinster only have four in senior squad, though have good academy options in fairness. Connacht have Niall Murray who’s a good prospect but probably could do with a season of development before being exposed to senior.

Think Copeland played there a fair bit with Munster too so he would probably be fine for twenty mins here and there if necessary. Be hard to justify having six senior second rows.

Agree loose head is an issue. If McAllister is going to be out as long as has been said, they would be as well off to make signing now if at all possible. Maybe they think Bealham/McCartney can do the odd spell there to give Buckley a break?

We’re fine in second row at the moment, four senior second rows available is decent, Leinster only have four in senior squad, though have good academy options in fairness. Connacht have Niall Murray who’s a good prospect but probably could do with a season of development before being exposed to senior.

Think Copeland played there a fair bit with Munster too so he would probably be fine for twenty mins here and there if necessary. Be hard to justify having six senior second rows.

Agree loose head is an issue. If McAllister is going to be out as long as has been said, they would be as well off to make signing now if at all possible. Maybe they think Bealham/McCartney can do the odd spell there to give Buckley a break?

I agree about "number" in 2nd row, but thornbury is vital for the lineout, see yesterday...

For LH, signing on a 3 months contract is now or never, we have to register players for champions cup squad...
    Bealham is needed as our main TH, McCartney hadn't play there (except for 3 minutes) for 6 years. None are reasonable solutions
    McCoy could be converted back with less dammage (Rory Burke on the TH bench spot). But unconvincing, need to sign someone, and both O'Donnel and McCabe know the job...

Mul, it's over
    I agree about "number" in 2nd row, but thornbury is vital for the lineout, see yesterday...

For LH, signing on a 3 months contract is now or never, we have to register players for champions cup squad...
    Bealham is needed as our main TH, McCartney hadn't play there (except for 3 minutes) for 6 years. None are reasonable solutions
    McCoy could be converted back with less dammage (Rory Burke on the TH bench spot). But unconvincing, need to sign someone, and both O'Donnel and McCabe know the job...

He was out for a while last season (maybe fix/six games?) and line out went pretty good as far as I recall. Obviously a loss but think they will be able to manage it.

Agree with you a signing would be best - was just trying to figure out what their plan is without one. If they’re not making one, would think Buckley will be rested for Kings at home during November, Burke start and maybe McCartney could do twenty minutes off bench. McAllister apparently due back around Xmas and as Buckley hasnt started games before yesterday, maybe feasible. Not saying it’s a good plan and would obviously prefer McCabe or someone else was picked up.

He was out for a while last season (maybe fix/six games?) and line out went pretty good as far as I recall. Obviously a loss but think they will be able to manage it.

Agree with you a signing would be best - was just trying to figure out what their plan is without one. If they’re not making one, would think Buckley will be rested for Kings at home during November, Burke start and maybe McCartney could do twenty minutes off bench. McAllister apparently due back around Xmas and as Buckley hasnt started games before yesterday, maybe feasible. Not saying it’s a good plan and would obviously prefer McCabe or someone else was picked up.

Yeah but main issue is not about covering the games, but facing Toulouse, Gloucester, Montpellier, Leinster, Munster scrums. Cheetahs aren't as good as them in this area, and already gave our starters a serious challenge, then, admit it, destroyed our bench front-row.
    Of course we could win 1 game without scrum getting the ball out quick, if the sun shine and the scrums are rare (yesterday or Pro 12 Victory vs Leinster). But not frequently, and not in bad weather conditions...

Mul, it's over
    Yeah but main issue is not about covering the games, but facing Toulouse, Gloucester, Montpellier, Leinster, Munster scrums. Cheetahs aren't as good as them in this area, and already gave our starters a serious challenge, then, admit it, destroyed our bench front-row.
    Of course we could win 1 game without scrum getting the ball out quick, if the sun shine and the scrums are rare (yesterday or Pro 12 Victory vs Leinster). But not frequently, and not in bad weather conditions...

Cheetahs have an excellent scrum, they have dominated Glasgow, Ulster and Munster in their previous games, losing Ox Nche to super rugby now so won’t be as strong but their scrum until now has been the best in the league and even with the loss of ox nche and return of internationals, I don’t expect many teams to give them serious problems there.

Connachts situation is far from ideal obviously but the coaches seem to be getting most calls right so maybe their confidence in Burke is justified, will have to wait and see.

• Advertisement

Cheetahs have an excellent scrum, they have dominated GlasgowA, UlsterA and MunsterA in their previous games, losing Ox Nche to super rugby now so won’t be as strong but their scrum until now has been the best in the league and even with the loss of ox nche and return of internationals, I don’t expect many teams to give them serious problems there.

Connachts situation is far from ideal obviously but the coaches seem to be getting most calls right so maybe their confidence in Burke is justified, will have to wait and see.

FYP:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement