Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Quinn Roux also picked up a bit of a knock on Saturday according to Andy Friend on craggy rugby pod. Dillane and Gallagher if he’s out I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Quinn Roux also picked up a bit of a knock on Saturday according to Andy Friend on craggy rugby pod. Dillane and Gallagher if he’s out I guess.

Good pairing but no one left...
    Macksymiw last choice to play 19.

19 y.o Murray, barely 100k, is next...
    Or Masterson, but not good for Europe to move a player.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Cheetahs have an excellent scrum, they have dominated Glasgow, Ulster and Munster in their previous games, losing Ox Nche to super rugby now so won’t be as strong but their scrum until now has been the best in the league and even with the loss of ox nche and return of internationals, I don’t expect many teams to give them serious problems there.

Connachts situation is far from ideal obviously but the coaches seem to be getting most calls right so maybe their confidence in Burke is justified, will have to wait and see.

Here are the International props we'll face without McAllister

Toulouse

Dorian Aldegheri
    Cyril Baille
    Maks van Dyk
    Charlie Faumuina

Montpellier

Mikheil Nariashvili
    Lizo Gqoboka
    Jannie du Plessis
    Levan Chilachava

Gloucester

Ruan Dreyer

Not as strong as I inatialy feared, maybe not too much above Cheetahs scrum, but still, Burke will have to shine...

tweet in Spanish

"El partido entre Connacht y Cheetahs es un correcalles entre dos bandas de dementes sin ningún sentido del orden... Niyi Adeolokun y Rhyno Smith son los ideólogos, no hace falta añadir nada más."

a children's game between 2 groups of mad demons without any sens of order, Niyi and Rhyno are ideologues of this, nothing more to add

:p:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Maybe some positive news for Gavin
    Connacht optimistic on Thornbury as they are handed Aki boost https://the42.ie/4871509

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    testtech05 wrote: »
    Maybe some positive news for Gavin
    Connacht optimistic on Thornbury as they are handed Aki boost https://the42.ie/4871509

Finlay and roux doubts for this weekend are big blows. Sob back though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If Aki is back for Connaught, that means Leinster will have their international hitters as well wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

flazio wrote: »
    If Aki is back for Connaught, that means Leinster will have their international hitters as well wouldn't it?

Depends on the rest periods the IRFU enforce. I'd say anyone who started against NZ won't be back, maybe the bench players like Porter, McGrath and Larmour.

The Friend Zone
    With the red card, suspension and concussion Bundee didn’t actually play many minutes, neither did carty. Most the return to provincial sides are done based on minutes played. The likes of Ryan, furlong etc will have big minutes up. Wouldn’t be surprised to see henshaw though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Wegians89 wrote: »
    With the red card, suspension and concussion Bundee didn’t actually play many minutes, neither did carty. Most the return to provincial sides are done based on minutes played. The likes of Ryan, furlong etc will have big minutes up. Wouldn’t be surprised to see henshaw though

Ruddock could well make it in too. Though maybe these guys will have to start on the bench. Bundee might be given the same instruction.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Ruddock could well make it in too. Though maybe these guys will have to start on the bench. Bundee might be given the same instruction.

Yeah I don’t expect Bundee to go straight in given the form of Godwin, Robb and Farrell

Yeah I don’t expect Bundee to go straight in given the form of Godwin, Robb and Farrell

Hard to know who to drop there. Robb and Godwin have been keeping Farrell out of the starting 15. And then Farrell is only on for half an hour at the weekend and scores two trys. Plus Godwin's versatility has meant that Connacht have had a spare centre and back 3 player on the bench.

Personally I hope that when Carty and Bundee are back, the decision is to have Fitz and a centre on the bench. Godwin is good enough on the wing. I'd also be curious to see Jack or Fitz play full back and go for the double pivot model at some stage.

The Friend Zone
    Hard to know who to drop there. Robb and Godwin have been keeping Farrell out of the starting 15. And then Farrell is only on for half an hour at the weekend and scores two trys. Plus Godwin's versatility has meant that Connacht have had a spare centre and back 3 player on the bench.

Personally I hope that when Carty and Bundee are back, the decision is to have Fitz and a centre on the bench. Godwin is good enough on the wing. I'd also be curious to see Jack or Fitz play full back and go for the double pivot model at some stage.

When everyone is fit and on top form I’d have:
    9.Marmion
    10.Carty
    11. Healy/porch
    12. Bundee
    13. Godwin
    14. S. Fitz
    15. Toh
    21. Blade
    22. C. Fitz
    23. Farrell
    S fitz can cover 15 while both Farrell and Godwin have played on the wing. At the minute I’d have Healy ahead of Porch but Porch seems to be adapting a bit quicker than I expected.

When everyone is fit and on top form I’d have:
    9.Marmion
    10.Carty
    11. Healy/porch
    12. Bundee
    13. Godwin
    14. S. Fitz
    15. Toh
    21. Blade
    22. C. Fitz
    23. Farrell
    S fitz can cover 15 while both Farrell and Godwin have played on the wing. At the minute I’d have Healy ahead of Porch but Porch seems to be adapting a bit quicker than I expected.

Yeah that looks about right to me. But i think Farrell, Robb and Godwin are basically interchangeable.

For this week 1 st :
    I know it"s hard on Fitz the 2nd but I think we need more experience to win in Swansea
    And Robb ability to gain ground in contact is essential waiting for Bundee + Farrell is sooo good he can't be kept on the bench...

So
    10) Godwin
    12) Robb
    13) Farrell
    11) Porsh
    14) Niyi
    15) Healy (yeah I'd like to have a look again)

22) Fitz 2.0
    23) Leader/Fitz 1.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Fitz has been one of our best players this season so far. Why would you drop him and move Godwin to 10? Godwin has been playing well in the centre. Can’t see justification for making those changes. And Steven Fitz did well at FB. Give him another go to build his confidence.
    That’s just changes for the sake of changes.
    Can see Farrell in for Robb alright, harsh as it would be on Robb.

Mul, it's over
    I don’t expect many changes in the backs. Would be shocked if they moved Godwin, he had one good game there last year in a cakewalk at home against Treviso but struggled a bit in the other couple of games he played there iirc, which isn’t his fault really, he’s not really a ten. Certainly wouldn’t be moving him there with an in form ten already in position.

Expect Tom Farrell will come in, probably at 13 for Godwin who will wear 22. Very harsh on Godwin given he has had an excellent start to season but Farrell deserves a start after game changing cameo last week and Robb is the most natural 12 of the trio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I cannot wait for Robb and Bundee to be paired together. The former has shown why he has been kept on. He is a fantastic ball carrier and has lovely hands and an excellent pass.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I cannot wait for Robb and Bundee to be paired together. The former has shown why he has been kept on. He is a fantastic ball carrier and has lovely hands and an excellent pass.

Exactly, but so harsh on Farrell/Godwin. Rotation/changes are needed with 13 games in a row. And Godwin has to be moved as 22, covering 10 AND centre, if he wants gametime...

connachta wrote: »
    Exactly, but so harsh on Farrell/Godwin. Rotation/changes are needed with 13 games in a row. And Godwin has to be moved as 22, covering 10 AND centre, if he wants gametime...

Well moving him to 22 is very different from starting him at 10 over Fitz.
    Connacht made huge use of his passing at 13 last week too. A number of times it went from 9 to 10 then out the back to Godwin before he fired it wide to Niyi. I think it lead to the two first half trys.
    I wonder do they prefer to have him as a second playmaker out there.

• Advertisement

Well moving him to 22 is very different from starting him at 10 over Fitz.

I'm talking about moving him as 22 when Carty is back, covering 10 and centre, with no C.Fitzegerald at all..

The Friend Zone
    I'm talking about moving him as 22 when Carty is back, covering 10 and centre, with no C.Fitzegerald at all..

Wouldn’t do that personally. Think Fitz has earned the right to be on the bench with a center at 23. Having blade and fitz coming off the bench for marmion/carty would be great. Fitz has been sensational so far this season and needs to be rewarded

Wouldn’t do that personally. Think Fitz has earned the right to be on the bench with a center at 23. Having blade and fitz coming off the bench for marmion/carty would be great. Fitz has been sensational so far this season and needs to be rewarded

I disagree. Fitzgerald covers no more than 10, as you said would need a covering centre and no back-3.
    I'd rather prefer 22) Godwin 23) Leader/S.Fitz/Healy
    rather than 22) C.Fitz 23) Godwin/another centre and sacrifice the back-3 player above

The Friend Zone
    I disagree. Fitzgerald covers no more than 10, as you said would need a covering centre and no back-3.
    I'd rather prefer 22) Godwin 23) Leader/S.Fitz/Healy
    rather than 22) C.Fitz 23) Godwin/another centre and sacrifice the back-3 player above

Having a class 10 is vital to closing out a game, personally much rather Godwin or Farrell covering the wing than Godwin covering ten. Some one else mentioned having a look at carty or Fitz at 15, wouldn’t mind seeing that for 10-20 minutes in a few matches to see how it goes

Having a class 10 is vital to closing out a game, personally much rather Godwin or Farrell covering the wing than Godwin covering ten. Some one else mentioned having a look at carty or Fitz at 15, wouldn’t mind seeing that for 10-20 minutes in a few matches to see how it goes

Yeah that's our divergence:)

I do think there's something to be said for giving Jack or Conor Fitz a run at 15 at some stage. Jack seems like he has the skills to do it. Even if it was just for those emergency situations when you lose three backs. Currently the contingency there is sticking Marmion on the wing I imagine.
    So I'd be looking at:
    9: Marmion
    10: Jack
    11: Healy/Porch
    12: Bundee
    13: Farrell
    14: S.Fitz/Leader
    15: TOH

21: Blade
    22: C. Fitz
    23: Godwin

Robb is unlucky to miss out there but there'll be lots of chances for everyone really.

Mul, it's over
    Connacht’s European squad is here I think.

https://www.epcrugby.com/club/connacht-rugby/#players

No surprises, it’s just all senior players. McCartney is listed as prop, presumably to meet regulations for minimum numbers. Seems a bit unusual they didn’t list him as loose head and Bealham as tight head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Connacht Matchday Squad V Ospreys (Sat 2 NOV, 5.15PM)

(15-9): Darragh Leader, Niyi Adeolokun, Tom Farrell, Peter Robb, John Porch, Conor Fitzgerald, Kieran Marmion.
    (1-8): Denis Buckley, Dave Heffernan, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Ultan Dillane, Joe Maksymiw, Eoghan Masterson, Jarrad Butler (C), Paul Boyle.
    Replacements: Jonny Murphy, Matthew Burke, Conor Kenny, Cillian Gallagher, Robin Copeland, Caolin Blade, Tom Daly, Stephen Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    Connacht Matchday Squad V Ospreys (Sat 2 NOV, 5.15PM)

(15-9): Darragh Leader, Niyi Adeolokun, Tom Farrell, Peter Robb, John Porch, Conor Fitzgerald, Kieran Marmion.
    (1-8): Denis Buckley, Dave Heffernan, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Ultan Dillane, Joe Maksymiw, Eoghan Masterson, Jarrad Butler (C), Paul Boyle.
    Replacements: Jonny Murphy, Matthew Burke, Conor Kenny, Cillian Gallagher, Robin Copeland, Caolin Blade, Tom Daly, Stephen Fitzgerald.

Was just about to post the same, looks like a solid enough selection considering the lads that are out, surprised Godwin isn't on the bench but happy to see Copeland back. Be good if he could get a run of time without another injury has been unlucky since he signed.

• Advertisement

testtech05 wrote: »
    Was just about to post the same, looks like a solid enough selection considering the lads that are out, surprised Godwin isn't on the bench but happy to see Copeland back. Be good if he could get a run of time without another injury has been unlucky since he signed.

Who's the back-up 10, guys?
    No McCartney, no Roux, no Healy, no Thornbury, no SOB, no Bealham, we're going to lose but probably ready to gun out for the next crucial 3 games

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement