Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Reece’s lawyer apparently Told the court that the playing environment in Connacht is more professional and there are higher standard then club rugby in NZ. Connacht definitely are more clues in then they’ll letting on. If the ulster case hadn’t happened I doubt there’d be any question of him not coming over

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The lack of a conviction shouldn't play a part in this.

He didn't get convicted because his girlfriend asked for charges not to be pressed, not like other cases where there wasn't sufficient evidence to charge or that he wasn't found guilty.

There should be no question over this.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,463 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    Hurrache wrote: »
    So he was drugged with a memory erasing potion, his girlfriend beaten up by a paid goon and warned she better play along, and when he came to he was convinced he was the one that beat her up.

Sounds plausible, I think you're onto something.

Obviously the TT mafia are behind all this......

Te'o and Tomane

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Obviously the TT mafia are behind all this......

Te'o and Tomane

I fished a river in NZ referred to as the TT (Tauranga Taupo). For a second there I was wondering what some North Island trout anglers had to do with it...

Carry on...

The Friend Zone
    Thornbury out until November/December, butler and Healy could be back for weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Thornbury out until November/December, butler and Healy could be back for weekend.

Why did Healy pull up last week does anybody know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Why did Healy pull up last week does anybody know ?

James Lowe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    I see Horowitz is back training. This is good

The Friend Zone
    evil_seed wrote: »
    I see Horowitz is back training. This is good

Wouldn’t mind seeing him on the bench with carty starting this week. Then give carty a break over European games

stephen_n wrote: »
    James Lowe

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    James Lowe

James Lowe's magnificent hair.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    6 week suspension for Dominic Robertson McCoy

The Friend Zone

Very lucky boy

Thought it would be longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not that it will make much difference to Connacht or their opposition as he’s not a particularly important player but that’s a very short ban for what he did.

The Friend Zone
    He got the maximum but halved due to previous clean record

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Not defending Robertson-McCoy but the ban doesn't seem unusually short to me. The only other ban for stamping on someone's head I remember off the top of my head was Fergus McFadden stamping on Nathan White and I'm fairly sure he got less than 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 FirstFiveEigth

The ban seems about right IMO, John Hayes also got 6 weeks in 2009 for the stamp on Cian Healy. Dom's lack of previous disciplinary issues certainly aided him, but he could only have gotten a maximum of 12 weeks in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think people are being pretty over the top. The ban is completely in line with what we should expect for such an incident involving someone who has no record of previous offences. It was a brutal act and he deserves his ban but I find the calls for a lengthy suspension over the top.

Healy, BOD and Hayes all stamped on prone players with more aggression and force without this level of condemnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The ban seems about right IMO, John Hayes also got 6 weeks in 2009 for the stamp on Cian Healy. Dom's lack of previous disciplinary issues certainly aided him, but he could only have gotten a maximum of 12 weeks in any case.

10 years ago is not relative to rugby today. I'm surprised it was halved given the lip service to head injuries and player safety. Not exactly drawing a red line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Hurrache wrote: »
    10 years ago is not relative to rugby today. I'm surprised it was halved given the lip service to head injuries and player safety. Not exactly drawing a red line.

Thats the standard procedure for players with previously clean records and with 'genuine expression of remorse'. Personally i have not liked that sorry, genuine or otherwise, for a banable offence is a mitigating factor for a long time (surely the least the to be expected and no player is stupid enough to express anything else) but thats how it works.

My own opinion is he derseved a longer ban but he also deserves a chance to prove it was an exception to his character. Just because he isnt as high profile as others doesnt mean he doesnt deserve a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over

50% off. He must have had the best tie ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    50% off. He must have had the best tie ever

When you consider Bastareaud got 5 weeks for forearm smashing a defenseless prone opponent (with an already long record of indiscipline) I think this is about right. Personally would rather both were longer bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭flatty

Saint Paul got little or nothing for mistaking a head for a rugby ball iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    Six weeks isn't enough but in fairness to the Pro14, they gave him the top-end ban.

The problem is that they had no grounds to deny him the full 50% remission. If they'd reduced it by less than half, it would have been successfully appealed.

So either the league or World Rugby needs to say, right, we're capping remission at 4 weeks or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Six weeks isn't enough but in fairness to the Pro14, they gave him the top-end ban.

The problem is that they had no grounds to deny him the full 50% remission. If they'd reduced it by less than half, it would have been successfully appealed.

So either the league or World Rugby needs to say, right, we're capping remission at 4 weeks or similar.

They don’t even need to cap it all. They just need to make it clear that incidents of gross foul play or unprovoked violent acts are not eligible for it, or should be capped lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Common sense prevails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Right thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭PMC83

Zzippy wrote: »

Fair play to all at Connacht, theres just no point in inviting trouble like this in.
    Hopefully Reece sees a counsellor and gets his issues sorted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement