Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

connachta wrote: »
    Who's the back-up 10, guys?
    No McCartney, no Roux, no Healy, no Thornbury, no SOB, no Bealham, we're going to lose but probably ready to gun out for the next crucial 3 games

Seriously.... you need more optimism in your life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Who's the back-up 10, guys?
    No McCartney, no Roux, no Healy, no Thornbury, no SOB, no Bealham, we're going to lose but probably ready to gun out for the next crucial 3 games

We won last week without Healy SOB and no Thornbury and Roux for the last half hour. I'd imagine Daly is the backup 10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    I'm hopeful, missing a good few but I think Ospreys' poor form from last season has carried over.

As for back up 10 I guess it'd be Daly or maybe Leader

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

KBurke85 wrote: »
    We won last week without Healy SOB and no Thornbury and Roux for the last half hour. I'd imagine Daly is the backup 10

Red card helped a good bit.
    I really don't get why there's no Godwin, late knock maybe. It could be very costly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'm hopeful, missing a good few but I think Ospreys' poor form from last season has carried over.

As for back up 10 I guess it'd be Daly or maybe Leader

Same, but I'm always nervous when we play in Wales, especially after we lost with a full strength team to an Ospreys side with 18 year olds at 9 and 13 last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Red card helped a good bit.
    I really don't get why there's no Godwin, late knock maybe. It could be very costly...

Could just be rested its a 13 game run. There will be changes to the 23. I wouldn't read too much into it

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Could just be rested its a 13 game run. There will be changes to the 23. I wouldn't read too much into it

Carty and Bundee are back next week, he could have been rested a lot, after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Looking forward to seeing how Robertson McCoy goes, think he improved a fair bit last season, hopefully he can have a solid game.

Be interesting to see how Maksymiw gets on too, rare opportunity for him.

Hopefully Gallagher and Copeland have a big impact off the bench, it will be needed. Ospreys were solid enough against Munster last week, had a good scrum and lineout but were making mistakes further out. If Connacht can get parity up front would fancy the back line to be able to make the difference.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing how Robertson McCoy goes, think he improved a fair bit last season, hopefully he can have a solid game.

Be interesting to see how Maksymiw gets on too, rare opportunity for him.

Hopefully Gallagher and Copeland have a big impact off the bench, it will be needed. Ospreys were solid enough against Munster last week, had a good scrum and lineout but were making mistakes further out. If Connacht can get parity up front would fancy the back line to be able to make the difference.

Agree with every bit of this
    but no back-up 10...If Fitzgerald is off and we have to use a playmaker...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Agree with every bit of this
    but no back-up 10...If Fitzgerald is off and we have to use a playmaker...

Daly has pretty much as much experience at ten as Godwin, he slotted in there for 10/20 minutes here and there a few times last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

Loved the Cheetahs game last week. Really like the idea that new players get a chance to play. It adds a bit of dynamism to the team. The negative is the uncertainty. But then the Connacht game is based on uncertain outcomes. So while there are injuries on the wing and at full-back there is a new dimension being shown which is good as far as I can see.
    Then having the likes of Dillane and Farrell on the bench just adds such an incredible new dimension to Connacht.
    So not incredibly secure in a belief we will win this weekend but once again we see new faces. And new faces by nature don't hold back. So let's see.
    Bottom line is I am a huge believer in rotation in that it freshens the approach

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Daly has pretty much as much experience at ten as Godwin, he slotted in there for 10/20 minutes here and there a few times last season.

Godwin played 10 in Australia way more than Daly with Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wegians89 wrote: »

Daly hasn't played 10 for Leinster since his early years unless you're confusing him with Noel Reid? As soon as he got into the Leinster setup he was converted into a centre.

Daly hasn't played 10 for Leinster since his early years unless you're confusing him with Noel Reid? As soon as he got into the Leinster setup he was converted into a centre.

That's what I meant, he hasn't played 10 in 5 years. Godwin has, sometimes, played there for Brumbies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Blade has covered 10 too if I remember correctly. I'm sure the coaches know what they are doing making the selection.

Mul, it's over
    Tom Farrell was naïve there but a bit unfortunate to be pinged, ball look easily available.

Mul, it's over
    Holy moly, fair play Niyi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Super hands and great finish by adi.

Mul, it's over
    Robb’s hands are excellent. Often centres his size are just battering rams.

Mul, it's over
    Lack of ref consistency around knock on advantage is frustrating. Ospreys made a few yards there immediately, that would be enough for most refs to say advantage over.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Massive hit from Robb. Himself and Farrell looking very good together

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    Robb is on fire this year. Brilliant comeback after a couple of disrupted years

Mul, it's over
    Leader struggling a bit under high ball, usually solid in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Farrell is immense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

I know it's against a weakened opposition but Farrell is unplayable at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Think Boyle knocked that on in the scrum, great power from Robb. That interplay between himself and Farrell that got us into their 22 was insane, can't believe we didn't get a replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Ospreys might as well play at Swansea RFC's ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    Chris871 wrote: »
    Farrell is immense

He was last year too. But not enough for Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

gally74 wrote: »
    He was last year too. But not enough for Joe

Who would you have him in instead of though? This is no disrespect to Farrell, but Ringrose is a better 13. Then you've to look at the other options. Aki and Henshaw are quality at 12 and 13 so can swap positions when the circumstances dictate. They're valuable squad options. Then you've Chris Farrell who is just a brute and possesses qualities none of the others have. I just don't think there's space for Tom anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Clegg wrote: »
    Who would you have him in instead of though? This is no disrespect to Farrell, but Ringrose is a better 13. Then you've to look at the other options. Aki and Henshaw are quality at 12 and 13 so can swap positions when the circumstances dictate. They're valuable squad options. Then you've Chris Farrell who is just a brute and possesses qualities none of the others have. I just don't think there's space for Tom anywhere.

Based on injuries henshaw shouldn’t really have been involved really

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement