Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Claremorris with both sobs but they still distinguish Pro and academy in case we think it was the academy one and then the pro one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    testtech05 wrote: »
    Ultan went off with a back spasm at the weekend, hopefully it isn't too bad or we will be down to bare bones in the 2nd row.

I know it’s not ideal circumstances but I’d love to see Gallagher get a start against Leinster. Ideally with roux though

The Friend Zone
    Saracens look like getting a 35 point deduction for breaking the salary cap. Surely marmion would prefer to stay at Connacht and play champions cup next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Saracens look like getting a 35 point deduction for breaking the salary cap. Surely marmion would prefer to stay at Connacht and play champions cup next season

Feel Sorry for whoever gets drawn against them in the challenge cup :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

that's very good news (for us)

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    I’d put money on pat lam winning the prem this season now

So Dillane, Bealham SOB and Godwin all on the training pictures

+ Aki/Carty as forseen
    No Colby/Roux apparently

1) Buck
    2) Heff
    3) Bealham
    4) Dillane
    5) Gallagher
    6) SOB
    7) Butler
    8) Boyle
    9) Marmion
    10) Carty
    12) Aki
    13) Farrell
    11) Porsh
    14) Niyi
    15) Leader

16) McCartney (though I suspect he's kept in the fridge to be converted LH...)
    17) M.Burke
    18) McCoy
    19) Copeland
    20) Masterson
    21) Blade
    22) Robb
    23) Godwin

The Friend Zone
    Id like to see something like this:
    Buckley Heffernan Bealham
    Dillane gallagher
    Sob masterson butler
    Blade Fitz
    Robb Farrell
    Porch Fitz niyi
    McCartney Burke Kenny maksymiw Boyle marmion carty Bunde

However, I think Maksymiw will start with Gallagher on the bench, he’s more of a tight head lock. Think blade will start this one with marmion starting the two champions cup matches, similar with Carty. Although there’s a case for giving Fitz a rest as he’s played a lot already for a young lad.

If Godwin wasn’t in the 23 last week due to being rested I think that suggests he’d be starting this week. But I hope they keep Robb-Farrell for this week. And nothing against big Dom but I’d love to see Kenny tested at this level from the bench. He’s always impressed me at underage/ eagles level particularly at scrum time and want to see how he goes.

I’d hope carty and Bundee wont go straight into the team. Firstly to reward the guys who’ve been brilliant so far. Secondly to challenge Bundee and carty to up their games to get back in and finally for that boost the crowd will give when the pair of them come off the bench at 50 odd minutes. Could be a potential momentum swinger if things are in the balance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    New two year deals for SOB, Tom Farrell and TOH, signed until end of 21-22 season.

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1191716793150259200?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    New two year deals for SOB, Tom Farrell and TOH, signed until end of 21-22 season.

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1191716793150259200?s=21

Great news, hopefully more on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Fantastic news.

The Friend Zone
    Brilliant news in the week of a big game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    Id like to see something like this:
    Buckley Heffernan Bealham
    Dillane gallagher
    Sob masterson butler
    Blade Fitz
    Robb Farrell
    Porch Fitz niyi
    McCartney Burke Kenny maksymiw Boyle marmion carty Bunde

However, I think Maksymiw will start with Gallagher on the bench, he’s more of a tight head lock. Think blade will start this one with marmion starting the two champions cup matches, similar with Carty. Although there’s a case for giving Fitz a rest as he’s played a lot already for a young lad.

If Godwin wasn’t in the 23 last week due to being rested I think that suggests he’d be starting this week. But I hope they keep Robb-Farrell for this week. And nothing against big Dom but I’d love to see Kenny tested at this level from the bench. He’s always impressed me at underage/ eagles level particularly at scrum time and want to see how he goes.

I’d hope carty and Bundee wont go straight into the team. Firstly to reward the guys who’ve been brilliant so far. Secondly to challenge Bundee and carty to up their games to get back in and finally for that boost the crowd will give when the pair of them come off the bench at 50 odd minutes. Could be a potential momentum swinger if things are in the balance

Kieran and Leader for Blade and Fitz but all spit on for me

The Friend Zone
    its_phil wrote: »
    Kieran and Leader for Blade and Fitz but all spit on for me

Marino has started the last two games and will probably start the two champions cup games, think it’d be good to give blade the start in a big match.

Leader and Fitz was a toss up really, leader has a brilliant boot and is probably more assured at 15 but think Fitz has more of a spark about him

Marino has started the last two games and will probably start the two champions cup games, think it’d be good to give blade the start in a big match.

Leader and Fitz was a toss up really, leader has a brilliant boot and is probably more assured at 15 but think Fitz has more of a spark about him

Marmion has only started 2 games in a row, he could start 5 (Leinster + 2 HCup games)
    He has a point to prove vs Luke McGrath

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Marmion has only started 2 games in a row, he could start 5 (Leinster + 2 HCup games)
    He has a point to prove vs Luke McGrath

Yeah but you’ve also got to consider blade who deserved big games too. If you give marmion five games in a row including three of the biggest games all season, that’s big game experience that blade is missing out of even though he deserved it.

There’s two genuine brilliant 9s in the squad and feel that they will be rotated accordingly.

Mul, it's over
    Connacht have clip of SOB talking to media up. Usually means starting at weekend, it might be related to contract renewal but think more likely the former.

The Friend Zone
    Connacht have clip of SOB talking to media up. Usually means starting at weekend, it might be related to contract renewal but think more likely the former.

Yeah considering sob is the only one of the three to talk to the media I think it’s a good sign he’s playing on Friday. He’s got the movember thing going on

Yeah but you’ve also got to consider blade who deserved big games too. If you give marmion five games in a row including three of the biggest games all season, that’s big game experience that blade is missing out of even though he deserved it.

There’s two genuine brilliant 9s in the squad and feel that they will be rotated accordingly.

You have the Saracens nightmare departure in hindsight^^

The Friend Zone
    You have the Saracens nightmare departure in hindsight^^

I think he’ll stay, but I think there’s two players who could both be in the six nations squad. If you look at how Leinster handle similar situations there’s an even spread of games bar the champions cup were strongest team is picked every time.

The depth Connacht are building needs to be handled similarly.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/aki-and-carty-set-for-connacht-returns-against-leinster-on-friday-1.4073314

Faingaa and Healy both also fit apparently with carty likely to start. I’d change my team from earlier to :

Buckley Heffernan bealham
    Dillane gallagher
    Sob boyle faingaa
    Blade carty
    Robb Farrell
    Healy Fitz Niyi

McCartney Burke Kenny Maksymiw Butler marmion fitz bundee

Mul, it's over
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/aki-and-carty-set-for-connacht-returns-against-leinster-on-friday-1.4073314

Faingaa and Healy both also fit apparently with carty likely to start. I’d change my team from earlier to :

Buckley Heffernan bealham
    Dillane gallagher
    Sob boyle faingaa
    Blade carty
    Robb Farrell
    Healy Fitz Niyi

McCartney Burke Kenny Maksymiw Butler marmion fitz bundee

Wouldn’t be confident Dillane will be available reading that, be very unfortunate for three first choice second rows to be out. Would probably mean Copeland covering second row from bench. Could see Carty returning from bench.

I think Dillane is ok, looks involved in the gym..
    I have the intuition we'll see Copeland somewhere though

Mul, it's over

Ah ok, I hadn’t seen that. Given it was his back that was the problem if he’s doing gym work he’s probably fine.

The Friend Zone

If sob and faingaa are back the only place I could see Copeland is in the 19 jersey and that’s only if ultan was out. Such a sham he’s been injured so often during his time here

And even with Healy back, I'd stick with Porch, and as you said, have Matt 100% fit for CC in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Jesus that match in the RDS haunts me still.
    Great to have the lads back. Won't make it unfortunately but my ticket is in good hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Loosehead

Denis Buckley (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Matthew Burke (22) - Signed contract in 2019
    Paddy McAllister (30) - Signed contract in 2019

Jordan Duggan (21) - Academy year 2

Tighthead

Finlay Bealham (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Rory Burke (25) - Signed contract in 2019
    Conor Kenny (23) - Signed contract in 2019
    Dominic Robertson-McCoy (25) - Signed contract in 2018

Hooker

Shane Delahunt (25) - Signed contract in 2019
    Dave Heffernan (28) - Signed contract in 2019
    Tom McCartney (33) - Signed 3 year contract in 2017
    Jonny Murphy (27) - Signed contract in 2018

Declan Adamson (20) - Academy year 1
    Dylan Tierney-Martin (20) - Academy year 2

Lock

Ultan Dillane (25) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Cillian Gallagher (22) - Signed contract in 2018
    Joe Maksymiw (23) - Signed contract in 2018

Quinn Roux (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Gavin Thornbury (25) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019

Niall Murray (19) - Academy year 2

Back row

Paul Boyle (22) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Jarrad Butler (28) - Signed 3 year contract in 2017
    Robin Copeland (31) - Signed 2 year contract in 2018
    Colby Fainga'a (28) - Signed contract in 2018
    Eoghan Masterson (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2018

Eoin McKeon (28) - Signed contract in 2019
    Sean O'Brien (24) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Joshua Dunne (19) - Academy year 2
    Sean Masterson (21) - Academy year 3
    Oisin McCormack (18) - Academy year 1
    Mikey Wilson (22) - Academy year 2

Scrumhalf

Caolin Blade (25) - Signed contract in 2018
    Stephen Kerins (23) - Signed contract in 2019
    Angus Lloyd (26) - Signed contract in 2019
    Kieran Marmion (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2018

Colm Reilly (20) - Academy year 2

Outhalf

Jack Carty (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Conor Fitzgerald (21) - Signed contract in 2019
    Dave Horwitz (24) - Signed contract in 2018

Luke Carty (21) - Academy year 3
    Conor Dean (21) - Academy year 2

Centre

Bundee Aki (28) - Signed 3 year contract in 2017
    Tom Daly (26) - Signed contract in 2019
    Tom Farrell (25) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Kyle Godwin (27) - Signed contract in 2018
    Peter Robb (25) - Signed contract in 2019

Shane Jennings (18) - Academy year 1
    Sean O'Brien (21) - Academy year 2

Back 3

Niyi Adeolokun (28) - Signed contract in 2019
    Stephen Fitzgerald (23) - Signed contract in 2019
    Matt Healy (30) - Signed 2 year contract in 2018
    Darragh Leader (26) - Signed contract in 2018

Tiernan O'Halloran (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    John Porch (25) - Signed contract in 2019
    Peter Sullivan (21) - Signed trial contract in 2019

Colm de Buitléar (21) - Academy year 3
    Hugh Lane (20) - Academy year 1
    Oran McNulty (19) - Academy year 2

Made some educated guesses about length of contacts. There's a chance that some of the deals signed in 2019 may have been for one year only.

Mul, it's over
    There’s a very good core of players committed for next season already. Don’t think the squad needs any major surgery, mainly just need to try to retain what’s there. One or two big signings on top of that should leave Connacht fairly well positioned going into next season. Not entirely sure where those signings should be though, maybe a backrow? Will possibly depend on how rest of season goes for Copeland.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    There’s a very good core of players committed for next season already. Don’t think the squad needs any major surgery, mainly just need to try to retain what’s there. One or two big signings on top of that should leave Connacht fairly well positioned going into next season. Not entirely sure where those signings should be though, maybe a backrow? Will possibly depend on how rest of season goes for Copeland.

Godwin and faingaa are the two big ones that could move other than Marmion. Could cope with Godwin leaving but faingaa is key. I’d probably be looking at Copeland out with one of deegan/Doris replacing him if the Irfu are pushing that.

Possibly further depth at prop but that depends on how the Burke’s and Kenny go. Back three look fine too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement