Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    I’m possibly over analysing but I thought friend sounded quite confident of keeping Aki. Marmion was obviously getting full pitch whereas that didn’t seem necessary for Aki. Suppose most likely answers just reflect questions and Marmion was asked about specifically due to rumours.

Same as last week for me, if Connacht can match them up front (much harder this week) then the backs have enough to get them over the line. Sickener to be without three first choice second rows for this and first two European games, this would be a great time for Cillian Gallagher to really step up. Big test for Burke too, Porter and Bent are both very good tightheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I’m possibly over analysing but I thought friend sounded quite confident of keeping Aki. Marmion was obviously getting full pitch whereas that didn’t seem necessary for Aki. Suppose most likely answers just reflect questions and Marmion was asked about specifically due to rumours.

Same as last week for me, if Connacht can match them up front (much harder this week) then the backs have enough to get them over the line. Sickener to be without three first choice second rows for this and first two European games, this would be a great time for Cillian Gallagher to really step up. Big test for Burke too, Porter and Bent are both very good tightheads.

Buckley has to deal with Porter the whole time, and only when he's off Friend can have Burke in. Bent is old now, not at his very very best, it could be ok for young Matt. Huge relief there's not Furlong on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    I don’t really fear bundee leaving I’d say it’s just negotiating for a central contract

Wegians, you were right about Bundee on the bench, I was right about Carty starting!

The Friend Zone
    Tight five for Connacht really need to be perfect for this game. Delighted Gallagher will be tested at this level, he was there or there about a with James Ryan at u20 level but has been plagued with injuries since. Don’t expect him to go as far as Ryan but he can become a brilliant player in his own right if fit.

Hope Connacht pack can give some platform to the backs because I think carty - Robb- Farrell could really do some real damage to a Leinster back line that I don’t think have defended too much together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Nice medical joker to sign while MacCallister is out :)

https://www.the42.ie/beast-south-africa-4883326-Nov2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

ClanofLams wrote:

I would have thought that Marmion would have started if he had in any way suggested he might stay at Connacht. Like you I might be overreacting but I think the signals would suggest he will most likely leaving Galway.

On another matter, what's the story with Ultan? I hadn't heard he was unavailable?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wegians89 wrote: »
    I don’t really fear bundee leaving I’d say it’s just negotiating for a central contract

Surely he'll be offered one. He's started most Ireland games over the past 18 months I imagine.

The Friend Zone
    I would have thought that Marmion would have started if he had in any way suggested he might stay at Connacht. Like you I might be overreacting but I think the signals would suggest he will most likely leaving Galway.

On another matter, what's the story with Ultan? I hadn't heard he was unavailable?

I don’t think marmion was ever starting this match regardless of where he is next year. Blade started the first three, Marmion the next two and blade gets the start tomorrow. I’d say marmion will start the two champions cup and then blade will get the two after that. It’s just rotation on two top class 9s.

If marmion doesn’t start next week either then it could be a bad sign.

Ultan went of with a back spasm and was a doubt for this week. I think he’ll be fine next week

Mul, it's over

Dillane is injured I would think, came off last week with back spasms.

Wegians said on here during the week his guess was Blade would start this week and Marmion the two European games as Blade deserved a start in one big game at least for his form. I would think he was correct and Marmion will be back for the next two games. Don’t think it reflects any intention one way or another in relation to Marmions future plans.

• Advertisement

Looks like there is heavy rain due Friday evening. Hopefully might not start until after the match but it's touch and go I'd say.

Looks like there is heavy rain due Friday evening. Hopefully might not start until after the match but it's touch and go I'd say.

I'm just after catching the BBC weather forecast which suggests a dry cold evening which should be perfect for a good game of rugby

Mul, it's over
    Interesting to hear Craggy Rugby pod speculating Niall Murray might get in the mix soon. Obviously a reflection of Connachts second row injury woes but he’s a very good prospect too. Great to have Dillane, Roux and Thornbury as three main second rows obviously but good to have a couple of homegrown prospects in Gallagher & Murray coming up behind them.

The Friend Zone
    Interesting to hear Craggy Rugby pod speculating Niall Murray might get in the mix soon. Obviously a reflection of Connachts second row injury woes but he’s a very good prospect too. Great to have Dillane, Roux and Thornbury as three main second rows obviously but good to have a couple of homegrown prospects in Gallagher & Murray coming up behind them.

Have very high hopes for Murray but as said before he’s a bit light for the pro game yet

Mul, it's over
    Have very high hopes for Murray but as said before he’s a bit light for the pro game yet

For sure, think next season would be time enough for his debut, or maybe off bench in March or April. If Connacht were in challenge cup could maybe throw him in there at home off bench but thankfully don’t have that luxury this season.

The Friend Zone
    For sure, think next season would be time enough for his debut, or maybe off bench in March or April. If Connacht were in challenge cup could maybe throw him in there at home off bench but thankfully don’t have that luxury this season.

Yeah maybe March or April would be good timing. Certainly wouldn’t like him thrown in over the next three weeks

The Friend Zone
    No disrespect to Fitz be really excited to see carty-Robb-Farrell axis. If carty can play to the same level as last season, this will be very entertaining

No disrespect to Fitz be really excited to see carty-Robb-Farrell axis. If carty can play to the same level as last season, this will be very entertaining

I agree, Robb/Farrell axis is mouthwatering! Bundee has to make hard work to come back in!

Mul, it's over
    On extended interview on craggy rugby patreon Friend said they had discussed making a short term signing of a second row with the IRFU but there wasn’t much available apparently. After playing for eagles earlier in the season, Cormac Daly has been back training with Connacht the last three weeks.

Without the established second rows, thought Connachts maul defence was the weakest part of their game last week. Leinster will be a lot better than Dragons in that area and will presumably target it so Connacht need to have improved a lot in the space of a week.

On extended interview on craggy rugby patreon Friend said they had discussed making a short term signing of a second row with the IRFU but there wasn’t much available apparently. After playing for eagles earlier in the season, Cormac Daly has been back training with Connacht the last three weeks.

Without the established second rows, thought Connachts maul defence was the weakest part of their game last week. Leinster will be a lot better than Dragons in that area and will presumably target it so Connacht need to have improved a lot in the space of a week.

Macksymiw is a big lad, he should hold, but has to keep his discipline!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Was Daly only here on loan ?

He played a few times for the Eagles, I thought he had signed for us.

Shelflife wrote: »

Thought he was in the 23 last weekend?

Yip, he was
    https://www.connachtrugby.ie/farrell-set-for-first-start-of-the-season-as-connacht-travel-to-ospreys/

Mul, it's over
    Shelflife wrote: »

Don’t think he’s signed with anyone. I presume the eagles games were part of a trial period or else he was just happy to fill in as Connacht needed second rows.

The Friend Zone
    Different daly’s Tom Daly (center) was on loan last season and signed permanently this year.

Cormac Daly (lock) was in the sun academy/trial last season and Olaf played with the eagles this season. Wasn’t given an academy contract this year but he impress decent for the eagles any time I saw him

Different daly’s Tom Daly (center) was on loan last season and signed permanently this year.

Cormac Daly (lock) was in the sun academy/trial last season and Olaf played with the eagles this season. Wasn’t given an academy contract this year but he impress decent for the eagles any time I saw him

:cool:

Totally didnt read the conversation. Just jumped in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Was surprised Cormac Daly wasn't given a deal of some form, he's very physical and looked good for the Eagles. Murray is probably a better prospect long term but Daly is far more first team ready right now.

Mul, it's over
    Sh*te. Marmion out with injury, Kerins onto bench.

ClanofLams wrote:
    Sh*te. Marmion out with injury, Kerins onto bench.

I suspect Caolin will likely see the game out to the point where it is won or lost. Leinster, you would suspect have a big (Dev) advantage in the lineout so you would suspect Connacht will be keeping the ball on the pitch as much as possible. That's going to put a lot of pressure on ball handling skills. Looking forward to the game. Should be a dinger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    I suspect Caolin will likely see the game out to the point where it is won or lost. Leinster, you would suspect have a big (Dev) advantage in the lineout so you would suspect Connacht will be keeping the ball on the pitch as much as possible. That's going to put a lot of pressure on ball handling skills. Looking forward to the game. Should be a dinger

Henshaw our for Leinster

• Advertisement

All the injuries up front came home to roost tonight. Pack were just mullered and over powered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement