Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    TBH all the names mentioned might be decent player's in the future but Connacht are down 3 international standard Locks.

If Leinster were down Fardy, Toner and Ryan
    Munster down Bierne, Kleyn, and Holland
    Ulster down Henderson, Treadwell and Alan O'Connor at the same time other teams third choice or academy player's wouldn't be in the conversation as replacements

And that's not to begrudge the quality of player they might get in an injury crisis but it wouldn't be a someone that isn't ready for the European stage.

Brilliant point and really puts it into context, think only Leinster could survive three footsteps choices being out.

For instance why couldn’t Holloway be given to Connacht? Munster don’t need him and he’d be the type of player needed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Brilliant point and really puts it into context, think only Leinster could survive three footsteps choices being out.

For instance why couldn’t Holloway be given to Connacht? Munster don’t need him and he’d be the type of player needed

He’s not a piece of equipment to be given to whoever the irfu choose, munster signed him albeit with irfu approval. I’m sure if Connacht can find someone suitable short term they could also sign them if the irfu think it’s necessary.

The Friend Zone
    salmocab wrote: »
    He’s not a piece of equipment to be given to whoever the irfu choose, munster signed him albeit with irfu approval. I’m sure if Connacht can find someone suitable short term they could also sign them if the irfu think it’s necessary.

I know it’s not a simple as passing him around to who needs him, just find it odd that Munster were allowed to sign him in the first place and that he’d be the type of quality needed.

Will the irfu allow Connacht to sign a Southern Hemisphere lock, cause surely you’d be able to find one. Friend could have contacts in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I know it’s not a simple as passing him around to who needs him, just find it odd that Munster were allowed to sign him in the first place and that he’d be the type of quality needed.

Will the irfu allow Connacht to sign a Southern Hemisphere lock, cause surely you’d be able to find one. Friend could have contacts in Australia.

I’m sure if they can make the case and have finances available they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Bit of good news for Connacht

https://twitter.com/rugby_ie/status/1194296294581374979

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

KBurke85 wrote: »

Link wont open for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

salmocab wrote: »
    I’m sure if they can make the case and have finances available they can.

I'd say making the case is relatively easy but the budget is a whole different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

KBurke85 wrote: »

Tweet appears to be gone, what did it say?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

b.gud wrote: »
    Tweet appears to be gone, what did it say?

Guirado out injured until April, torn bicep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    TBH all the names mentioned might be decent player's in the future but Connacht are down 3 international standard Locks.

If Leinster were down Fardy, Toner and Ryan
    Munster down Bierne, Kleyn, and Holland
    Ulster down Henderson, Treadwell and Alan O'Connor at the same time other teams third choice or academy player's wouldn't be in the conversation as replacements

And that's not to begrudge the quality of player they might get in an injury crisis but it wouldn't be a someone that isn't ready for the European stage.

Connacht have had some success with those sort of level signings in the recent past though. Farrell was straight into the #23 jumper for a European game after arriving from the Championship having been cut by Leinster after not getting a single minute of senior gametime in his four years there. Thornbury was no longer involved with Leinster and came from amateur rugby in NZ on a temporary (?) deal at first. Stephen Fitzgerald was way down the pecking order at Munster and was short-term initially as well, I think.

I'd hope Leinster would start Molony and Baird in the above scenario, with one of Josh Murphy, Dowling or Charlie Ryan on the bench (assuming Dunne is in fact injured). Munster would almost definitely go looking for a short-term signing. They love their medical jokers. It's a joke Holloway was allowed when they had Holland, O'Shea, Wycherley, O'Connor and Coombes. How likely was it that they'd have had to give significant minutes to Ahern or the year 1 locks if they hadn't gone through with Holloway? Hardly any chance of it, so a complete waste of an opportunity to get their squad players gametime. O'Connor especially must be wondering what's the point if they won't even give him gametime during the RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Guirado out injured until April, torn bicep.

Nugusa out too for both games ! even more impactful news!

Look we also have our fair bit of injuries

but if someone said to you before the season starts we would have vs Montpellier

4) Dillane
    5) Gallagher
    6) Masterson
    7) Fainga'a
    8) Butler
    19) Copeland
    20) Boyle

you wouldn't have felt bad
    The guys just have to shake it off!

And I clearly not consider Gallagher as a weak link. He made 22 tackles vs Leinster, missed none

The Friend Zone
    The big issue is if dillane is back or not. If Dillane is back this week and roux back in a week or two there probably won’t be any signing.

I’d say maksymiw will start though as he’s a bigger human, would prefer Gallagher though.

The big issue is if dillane is back or not. If Dillane is back this week and roux back in a week or two there probably won’t be any signing.

I’d say maksymiw will start though as he’s a bigger human, would prefer Gallagher though.

Maksymiw went off injured too, didn't he? As SOB came in (and out)

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Maksymiw went off injured too, didn't he? As SOB came in (and out)

I hadn’t seen that, did it look serious?

The Friend Zone
    Roux and Dillane pictured in training, think cormac Daly was pictured too

The Friend Zone
    https://inpho.ie/media/5MOCpOoVOEye0AECx04ong..a?ts=WxyL3zHt_5KvDO8wTM-JUw..a

Any idea who’s in the back ground?

The Friend Zone
    Bealham and marmion out, niyi and dillane back fit. Sob set to be out for a few months

Llyod, isn't he?

The Friend Zone
    Llyod, isn't he?

Nope Lloyd is pictured later with white sleeves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Is Jack Lam (Samoa) still available...

Looks like could fill an injury gap in the back row if needed...

Nope Lloyd is pictured later with white sleeves

Doesn't look like a TH anyway, which is my main worry (not lock, as Dillane/Copeland will add beef)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Delighted to have McCabe back tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Is Jack Lam (Samoa) still available...

Looks like could fill an injury gap in the back row if needed...

We're well enough stocked in the back row, I think, but in any case remember what happened the last time we tried to sign a Lam as emergency cover... I wouldn't hold my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Murray Kinsella

Connacht bring in 20-year-old lock Niall Murray and prop Peter McCabe in place of Paddy McAllister and Sean O'Brien.

May he be the guy on your pic?

The Friend Zone
    Murray Kinsella

Connacht bring in 20-year-old lock Niall Murray and prop Peter McCabe in place of Paddy McAllister and Sean O'Brien.

May he be the guy on your pic?

Nah Murray is a lot longer hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH

Hopefully he's wrong about Roux being long term

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    testtech05 wrote: »
    Hopefully he's wrong about Roux being long term

Roux is long term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Roux is long term

Any idea what happened him? Thought they had been reporting him as 2-3 weeks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement