Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I wonder how it will impact on his career prospects within NZ. There's a massive issue with domestic violence in New Zealand and the statistics are quite shocking. They've been trying to tackle in recent years so I wonder if that's going to prevent him from moving upwards in his career. I imagine the vast majority of top performers in the Mitre 10 Cup would have some sort of involvement with a Super Rugby team?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Right decision by Connacht. From a purely rugby perspective its a shame as he looks talented but off field he clearly has issues that need addressing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You've got a Friend in me
    100% right decision regarding Reece.

Anyway, onto Ravenhill:
    15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Niyi Adeolokun, Tom Farrell, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Kieran Marmion, (1-8)Denis Buckley, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Quinn Roux, Sean O’Brien, Jarrad Butler (Capt), Paul Boyle.

Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Peter McCabe, Conor Carey, James Cannon, Colby Fainga’a, Caolin Blade, Kyle Godwin, Cian Kelleher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Good side. Godwin covering 10 I guess? First appearance of the season for Delahunt too

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Good side. Godwin covering 10 I guess? First appearance of the season for Delahunt too

Delahunt featured in the first 3 games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Lebute wrote: »
    Delahunt featured in the first 3 games

Yeah. Sure McCartney was injured - not sure what I was thinking there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    ClanofLams wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Delahunt came on as a sub in the 1st 2/3 games while Tom was injured.

Horwitz obviously not ready for right just yet.

As someone else said it was the only decision that could be made by Connacht/IRFU really. From a selfish rugby perspective it's a pity as he looked exciting from what people have shared on here but we don't need that kind of hassle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 FirstFiveEigth

Buer wrote: »
    I wonder how it will impact on his career prospects within NZ. There's a massive issue with domestic violence in New Zealand and the statistics are quite shocking. They've been trying to tackle in recent years so I wonder if that's going to prevent him from moving upwards in his career. I imagine the vast majority of top performers in the Mitre 10 Cup would have some sort of involvement with a Super Rugby team?

While it probably will affect his career prospects somewhat, the biggest reason for him not being picked up yet AFAIK is that he's sill classed as a foreign player in NZ and their Super Rugby sides are limited in terms of the number they can sign, like our own provinces. Having said that, I can't see some of the Top 14 sides being too bothered by this if they want him badly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    wp_rathead wrote: »
    100% right decision regarding Reece.

Anyway, onto Ravenhill:
    15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Niyi Adeolokun, Tom Farrell, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Kieran Marmion, (1-8)Denis Buckley, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Quinn Roux, Sean O’Brien, Jarrad Butler (Capt), Paul Boyle.

Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Peter McCabe, Conor Carey, James Cannon, Colby Fainga’a, Caolin Blade, Kyle Godwin, Cian Kelleher

On paper that team is should be well able to pick up a win against a mixed strength Ulster team. However i've said that before about sides going up to Ravenhill and its never turned out favourably

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Buer wrote: »

Won't be a problem in NZ. If you can play rugby then pesky things like DV convictions don't matter :D
    In all seriousness, it didn't harm the careers of the likes of Julian Savea or Sam Tuitupou or numerous other players. We believe in giving people a second chance in NZ.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    I see Franno has used the whole affair to launch a bizarre broadside on Jake Heenan, declaring him a wrong 'un and lacking in talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    That article by Neil Francis was a disgrace today. Heenan turned his life around and became NZ U20s co-captain and spoke about his troubles as part of RPI program last year and has contributed more to Irish life in his 5 years than Franno did in his entire homophobic ruck inspecting life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Won't be a problem in NZ. If you can play rugby then pesky things like DV convictions don't matter :D
    In all seriousness, it didn't harm the careers of the likes of Julian Savea or Sam Tuitupou or numerous other players. We believe in giving people a second chance in NZ.

The google tells me that Savea had his 'issues' back in 2013, things were a lot different back then in terms of domestic violence and how it is perceived.

I'm sure it helped Savea that he was already a global superstar; I'm not sure if some Mitre 10-level nobody from Fiji would have got the same sympathy from NZRU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    its_phil wrote: »
    That article by Neil Francis was a disgrace today. Heenan turned his life around and became NZ U20s co-captain and spoke about his troubles as part of RPI program last year and has contributed more to Irish life in his 5 years than Franno did in his entire homophobic ruck inspecting life.

Couldn't agree with this more. Seems very personal and unfounded really. As you said he obviously didn't do much homework on it either but that's not surprising as it is Francis after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    F*ck Franno with a capital F. He really has an axe to grind with us. His bias knows no bounds

evil_seed wrote: »
    F*ck Franno with a capital F. He really has an axe to grind with us. His bias knows no bounds

Ah in fairness to Franno, it's not anti-Connacht, he just absolutely hates project players and granny-rule players regardless of their province.

The comments about Heenan were well below the belt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And anyone who fly Palestinian flags. Don't omit them from his hate list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Just read said article. If I was to comment I'd have to ban myself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

i'd happily forgotten Francis existed but i did read his article. what a mess, trying to equate Reece's domestic violence with Jake sleeping rough in NZ.
    And then he hides all pretenses and just lambastes him for not being as good as JvdF

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

The google tells me that Savea had his 'issues' back in 2013, things were a lot different back then in terms of domestic violence and how it is perceived.

Just checking, is this a joke?

• Advertisement

Just checking, is this a joke?

No?

I know it's only five years ago but 2013 predates #metoo and the full force of social media outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Interesting. I'm not sure I would agree the #metoo movement has shifted perception of domestic violence, or there's been any major shift in the last five years. But that's a thread derail I don't want to go down!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Me too. Kindest thing I can say is he has absolutely no class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

No?

I know it's only five years ago but 2013 predates #metoo and the full force of social media outrage.

I get what you are saying. There is much more focus on it now. There was no mention of Tuitupou's conviction when he was signed by Munster (that I remember) but I think if a similar player was to be signed now there would be a big outcry.

And that Francis rant was bizarre.

Mul, it's over
    Zzippy wrote: »

Pundit abuse will not be tolerated. Take it to PM

• Registered Users Posts: 26 FirstFiveEigth

its_phil wrote: »

Well said, just read the article myself and its a bloody disgrace that a so-called "journalist" could publish something like that. Jake has done a lot of work with charity organisations in Galway and coming forward about his own past struggles was a very brave move for somebody in the public eye. I can't believe that Francis has somehow managed to turn that around as a stick to beat the guy with. The comment about not being in the top 20 back-rows in the country is a load of tripe too, he must have been close to touring with Ireland in summer 2017 IMO, but I wouldn't expect any kind of balance from a Francis article anyway. Is it any wonder that we see so few sports stars coming forward with their problems when this sort of thing is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

I wasn't aware that a Neil Francis column might have something worth reading until people got upset about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Zzippy wrote: »

Maybe you could ban each other ??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Maybe you could ban each other ??
    "Top Boards Mods go Manno-a-Manno in Franno Banno"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think the best idea is never read anything Franno writes, not just for not getting banned, just your sanity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement