Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

So, IMO

1) Buckley
    2) McCartney
    3) McCoy
    4) Dillane
    5) Gallagher
    6) Masterson
    7) Fainga'a
    8) Butler

9) Blade
    10) Carty
    11) Porch (I'd prefer him ahead of S.Fitz, but most here wants the opposite
    - where's Healy, was supposed to be a very short term injury- )
    12) Aki
    13) Robb (add beef in rucks and behind scrum)
    14) Godwin (more physical than Niyi)
    15) Leader

16) Heff (ball-carrier)
    17) McCabe (experience over M.Burke)
    18) Kenny (better scrummager than R.Burke)
    19) Copeland (ball-carrier)
    20) Boyle (I Hesitate to start him as 6 as Masterson played constantly since September...)
    21) Kerrins (over Llyod IMO)
    22) Farrell (Godwin covering 10)
    23) Niyi/S.Fitzgerald

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Buckley McCartney McCoy
    Dillane gallagher
    Masterson butler faingaa
    Blade carty
    Bundee godwin
    Healy/Porch Fitz niyi

Heff Burke Kenny Maksymiw Boyle kerins Fitz Farrell

Don’t think McCabe will go straight onto the bench after one week of training unless he’s very up to speed, would prefer McCabe based on last year. Healy has been pictured training but no word on if he’s back. Godwin not starting last week or the week before makes me think he’ll start this week, tough on Robb

Would go with s Fitz over leader at 15, think he’s a better all rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Buckley McCartney McCoy
    Dillane gallagher
    Masterson butler faingaa
    Blade carty
    Bundee godwin
    Healy/Porch Fitz niyi

Heff Burke Kenny Maksymiw Boyle kerins Fitz Farrell

Don’t think McCabe will go straight onto the bench after one week of training unless he’s very up to speed, would prefer McCabe based on last year. Healy has been pictured training but no word on if he’s back. Godwin not starting last week or the week before makes me think he’ll start this week, tough on Robb

Would go with s Fitz over leader at 15, think he’s a better all rounder.

The good thing re McCabe is he has being training with Munster played some of the celtic cup games so he should be sharp enough fitness wise.

Godwin not starting last week or the week before makes me think he’ll start this week, tough on Robb

I've made him start, but on the wing (physicality)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Anyone know when the teams are named for the weekend? Is it earlier for the European games than pro14?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    testtech05 wrote: »
    Anyone know when the teams are named for the weekend? Is it earlier for the European games than pro14?

Game is Sunday, Team will be named tomorrow.

It's generally the same as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Butler is doubtful gone for a scan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    Butler is doubtful gone for a scan

Sweet Jeebus.
    This is relentless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Robbo wrote: »
    It can all be traced back to the poor advice Jamie Heaslip received on data protection rights which informed the line IRUPA took on these matters.

For comparison, UK based teams seem to have no GDPR concerns when issuing injury updates (Cardiff and Glasgow, for example) which include specifics of the injury and the projected recovery time. Bear in mind that UK based teams have far more reason to be cautious on these issues due to the propensity of their regulator to issue fines and the willingness of the Courts there to vindicate a subjects rights in monetary terms.

It's a players choice

Heaslip and Murray both chose to keep their injury detail out of the media

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    That said, the ONLY positive from the Leinster disaster was how well our scrum reacts under huge pressure on the hour mark, even without anything to play for but pride.
    Twice international pairing C.Healy/Porter gone for the 5m scrum with a certain try on sight, twice the scrum was stabilized by Buckley/McCoy!

And taking into account we'll lose much in open play/rucks, I do think McCabe/Kenny can do the job at scrumtime for the final quarter

There is nothing positive about getting a 30 point hammering at home. The game was done at half time and Leinster dropped levels significantly in the 2nd half while Connacht went into damage limitation mode.

Keeping Leinster to one intercept try in the second half was not something I was expecting at half time.
    Big dom lasting 77 odd minutes was something I though would go worse particularly at scrum time.

The first half was just a physical master class from Leinster and that was shown in the 3 blood/his subs early on which added more disruption to an understrength Connacht team. I don’t think Connacht will be near as bad on Sunday, but we really need to see Connacht starting very quickly

Same problem as last week. Monty will try to replicate what Leinster did early on and they have a big team. Losing one or two players isn't going to change a whole lot for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Butler being out would be a huge blow. Surely there’s an end to the crisis soon?

Some Like It TOH
    Butler being it would be a huge blow. Surely there’s an end to the crisis soon?

That would be a disaster!!!

That would be a disaster!!!

I'd have Copeland as n°8 in this case, his prefered position, to gain ground.
    But as Macksymiw went off too last week, we could end with very thin N.Murray for n°19 then....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Some disaster. Just shows regardless of how good S&C is/isn’t, there’s some amount of luck involved, very few injuries last season and calamity at an early stage this season. Down to seven senior second rows/back rows (if Maksymiw is fit) available I think? Can’t see how Connacht win Sunday at this stage tbh

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Some disaster. Just shows regardless of how good S&C is/isn’t, there’s some amount of luck involved, very few injuries last season and calamity at an early stage this season. Down to seven senior second rows/back rows (if Maksymiw is fit) available I think? Can’t see how Connacht win Sunday at this stage tbh

Connacht Matchday Squad V Montpellier (SUN 17 NOV, 1PM)
    (15-9): Darragh Leader, Niyi Adeolokun, Kyle Godwin, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Caolin Blade (1-8): Denis Buckley, Tom McCartney, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Cillian Gallagher, Ultan Dillane, Colby Fainga’a, Jarrad Butler (C), Paul Boyle.
    Replacements: Dave Heffernan, Matthew Burke, Conor Kenny, Eoghan Masterson, Robin Copeland, Stephen Kerins, Tom Daly, John Porch

Butler fit to play

Mul, it's over
    About as strong as could be hoped for. Surprised to see Daly on bench, guess he covers ten?

Mul, it's over
    I’m looking forward to seeing Carty, Aki & Godwin. With any sort of decent ball they will be tough to contain, great to have faing’a back too.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    About as strong as could be hoped for. Surprised to see Daly on bench, guess he covers ten?

No, there's Godwin for this... Daly ahead of Robb is surprising. otherwise, as expected...
    Masterson in 2nd row, Copeland in back-row, would have done it the other way, but agree to have both on the bench rather than starting, I'm happy with Boyle/Gallagher

Healy will have a great role, just back from injury : tighten the defence, find gaps and cover FB for Leader if needed.
    It's him or Carty with Daly 10, I think it will be him, less re-organization

• Advertisement

Some Like It TOH
    connachta wrote: »

Don't follow much of top14 but would this be seen as a rotated selection for Montpellier?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Bismarck du Plessis still going!

kind of surprised considering SA picked 38 year old Schalk Brits ahead of him

Best of luck Heffernan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Don't follow much of top14 but would this be seen as a rotated selection for Montpellier?

Serious bench

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    Did I miss an injury to Tom Farrell?

Mul, it's over
    Did I miss an injury to Tom Farrell?

Yeah I did too. He picked up knock against Leinster last weekend according to Murray Kinsella

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    No Peter Robb? Wtf. Happy to see Dillane playing. Great chance for him to make a statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Bismarck du Plessis still going!

kind of surprised considering SA picked 38 year old Schalk Brits ahead of him

Best of luck Heffernan!

squad harmony

The Friend Zone
    Dubinusa wrote: »
    No Peter Robb? Wtf. Happy to see Dillane playing. Great chance for him to make a statement!

Possibly saving him for next week and he did get a fairly big cut to his cheek last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

From about the 3rd minute of the Gloucester Toulouse game I was certain Toulouse would win it. Only a couple of pieces of magic by Simpson have kept Gloucester in the game. He is potent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement