Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

stephen_n wrote: »
    Great performance from Connacht, really dug deep and out muscled Montpelier for large portions of the game. Need new strength and conditioning coaches though, can’t remember any other team losing three players before a game starts.
    Butler went for a scan before the team was named. I'd say there was a bit of mind games involved.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Fair play Connacht. Delighted for Tom Daly. He really showed up today. Copeland too was great. An absolute nuisance at the breakdown.

Mul, it's over
    Massive. Brilliant result.

That steal from Aki on 60 mins was a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Great win to grind that out against a far larger pack. Carty had one of the worst games I can remember seeing from him. Passes gone to ground, missed kicks, missed tackles. He won't be that poor again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    stephen_n wrote: »
    Great performance from Connacht, really dug deep and out muscled Montpelier for large portions of the game. Need new strength and conditioning coaches though, can’t remember any other team losing three players before a game starts.

Not at all. Same s&c team as last year where we had probably the least injuries throughout the year in the whole league.

Buckley with an incredible 80 minute performance, thought he was up there with Blade for motm.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Massive. Brilliant result.

That steal from Aki on 60 mins was a game changer.

That one and the one from Copeland about 10 mins later too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Monty were so bad. So many handling errors

Some win for Connacht fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Clegg wrote: »
    Great win to grind that out against a far larger pack. Carty had one of the worst games I can remember seeing from him. Passes gone to ground, missed kicks, missed tackles. He won't be that poor again next week.

Id like to see Fitz start ahead of him next week, reminder to carty that he’s not untouchable and needs to up it

The Friend Zone
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Not at all. Same s&c team as last year where we had probably the least injuries throughout the year in the whole league.

Buckley with an incredible 80 minute performance, thought he was up there with Blade for motm.

Yeah tbh surprised he didn’t get it, blade was good but not often a loose head plays that well for the full 80

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    Get the **** in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Anywhere I can catch highlights tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Buckley with another 80 minute masterclass. What a ****ing legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Anywhere I can catch highlights tonight?

BT Sport have highlights of all games this evening. If you haven't got BT Sport you will have to make do with RTE News or wait to VM One's highlights tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭bmc58

Fantastic start for one of the "minnows" Connacht against the big boys.Onwards to glory.

The Friend Zone
    bmc58 wrote: »
    Fantastic start for one of the "minnows" Connacht against the big boys.Onwards to glory.

Monty were muck, if it hadn’t been for the injuries I’d have had Connacht down to hammer them, get the bonus point at least. A good win considering the injury circumstances but a lot more in the tank from Connacht going forward. Don’t want this match being described as “historic”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

So

1) McAlister
    3) Bealham
    4) Roux
    5) Thornbury
    6) SOB
    7) McKeon
    8) Butler
    9) Marmion
    11) Healy (S.Fitz)
    12) Robb
    13 Farrell
    14) Niyi
    15) TOH
    I'd even add Gallagher who went off after 6 minutes

That's 11-12 players who could have had started the game + 2 or 3 who would have had their spots on the bench

We had none.
    We couldn't win
    We won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    So

1) McAlister
    3) Bealham
    4) Roux
    5) Thornbury
    6) SOB
    7) McKeon
    8) Butler
    9) Marmion
    11) Healy (S.Fitz)
    12) Robb
    13 Farrell
    14) Niyi
    15) TOH

That's 11-12 players who could have had started the game + 2 or 3 who would have had their spots on the bench

We had none.
    We couldn't win
    We won

Today showed that there's not much between the 30 odd playes,

of note,

Delighed for McCoy!
    carty has competition,
    Blade ahead of marmion ......
    back row excellent,
    daly (no 5 center) v good,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

connachta wrote: »
    So

1) McAlister
    3) Bealham
    4) Roux
    5) Thornbury
    6) SOB
    7) McKeon
    8) Butler
    9) Marmion
    11) Healy (S.Fitz)
    12) Robb
    13 Farrell
    14) Niyi
    15) TOH

We had none.
    We couldn't win
    We won

Is it just me or do Connacht always seem to have an injury crisis?

'In a weird way, that's actually what builds this team. It makes you have character' Andy Friend
    Completely agree. A win which is building for the future.

Boyle may have a go with Ireland before 2023. Masterson is back to the business
    McCoy has confirmed being the prospect Pat Lam targeted very young 5 years ago.
    Gallagher, looks better and better, and not severely injured
    Daly is probably the best "5th choice centre" in Europe
    Porch/Leader were unoticed by most today but did a good job to keep ball vs agressive players.
    Dillane was decisive to stabilize rucks (often)
    C.Fitzgerald, 22, is making supporters quiet and confident when he's on the field
    Blade is GOOD, simply good

All those 26 or under.
    The future is ours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    I had the same feeling today as when we beat Toulouse at home 3 years ago.

We should have, and could have, got the BP and denied them the LBP.
    We will regret that at the end of the group stage.

That said great performance from a team that would have been under a huge amount of pressure after the Leinster game and picking up MORE injuries.
    Particularly after coughing up such a soft try early in the game.

• Advertisement

That said great performance from a team that would have been under a huge amount of pressure after the Leinster game and picking up MORE injuries.

I disagree. TBF we were utterly (and it's logic without Roux/Thornbury/Butler/Robb) dominated in rucks.
    Buckley/Copeland/Aki made a balance, but I do think Montpellier could leave with much more regrets than us.
    We've blown opportunities but they had more. We've shown our courage to win, and did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over

Thought exactly today about how similar to Toulouse it was. But all those injuries you just have to take your W and walk away happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Next week is going to be very tough. Less than six full days from end of game today to k.o next week. With this ridiculous injury list, don’t think there is much or any room for rotation. Toulouse having played Friday night should be in relatively good condition on the other hand. Losing bonus point would be seriously impressive in the context and even that is asking a lot.

Mul, it's over
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Next week is going to be very tough. Less than six full days from end of game today to k.o next week. With this ridiculous injury list, don’t think there is much or any room for rotation. Toulouse having played Friday night should be in relatively good condition on the other hand. Losing bonus point would be seriously impressive in the context and even that is asking a lot.

Toulouse were pretty relentless against Gloucester but Connacht will be more organised. I'd love to see a full strength Connacht against a full strength Toulouse but the short turnaround and injuries probably won't allow it. Would be a hell of a game.

LBP next week would be an excellent result. I think it's probably out of reach but Toulouse can be inconsistent. Relying on another team to under perform is not an ideal situation but I think that's the most realistic way of looking at the fixture.

Best performance of the provinces from the weekend though, well done folks!

ClanofLams wrote: »

"good side" of the injury crisis + RWC, is that last players fit didn't play much until now... And rotation is to be expected vs Kings at home (though it's risky but we should win there...)

1) Buckley : will be his 5th start in a row but didn't play more than 20min each before those
    3) McCoy, same 4th start in a row, not that much minutes since the season began

2) we can rotate and give Heffernan a start, even Delahunt on the bench maybe

4/5) Roux is due to be back the week after, so release fully whoever can stand up... Dillane is perfectly fresh

6/7/8) Fainga'a will only made his 2nd start next week, same for Copeland. Masterson played 15 min today, he should start with Boyle 20. I can't wait for McKeon, was due mid November... Butler maybe a good surprise?

9) Blade again, only 3rd start in a row

10) Carty 3rd start in a row and will have in mind to do better than today. C.Fitz on the bench, and ready for the week after

12/13) Bundee will only start his 2nd game since Samoa red card. Daly is fresh, and Robb, not listed as injured, may well be back from what was just a knock

11/14/15) Healy/Niyi back? if not, Porch/Godwin were not overused at all for now

Toulouse were pretty relentless against Gloucester but Connacht will be more organised. I'd love to see a full strength Connacht against a full strength Toulouse but the short turnaround and injuries probably won't allow it. Would be a hell of a game.

LBP next week would be an excellent result. I think it's probably out of reach but Toulouse can be inconsistent. Relying on another team to under perform is not an ideal situation but I think that's the most realistic way of looking at the fixture.

Best performance of the provinces from the weekend though, well done folks!

We should target a heavy loss with TBP in defeat IMO.
    We have the offensive power to score a lot, we saw this since August friendlies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

In other circumstances I would be disappointed to miss out on the BP but given all the injuries I’m delighted we got the win. We have a few pervading issues but not too worried about that right now.

Fainga’a was probably my standout today but everyone put in a huge effort today, special mention to Tom Daly for coming in at short notice and putting in a great shift. Carty wasn’t particularly good but language like “letting the team down” is nonsense.

I do notice we get our numbering wrong in defense quite often, it can go unpunished in the league but I worry that Toulouse could expose us quite badly. Don’t know how Buckley is going to go again 6 days after playing 80 mins. I don’t see a route out of the group for us to be honest but if we get at least a point next week and stay in the hunt I’ll be happy.

Buckley for exemple "only" played 360 minutes this season, including this game.
    He may have one more start in the tank, with McCabe to come after an hour...

Only 4 players have played between 450 minutes and 480 minutes : Godwin, Masterson, Boyle, and Butler

For example Rob Evans, Scarlets LH played 382 minutes this season, though better spread across this season than the 360 minutes played by Denis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Great photo by James Crombie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement