Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Also sounds like niyi and mckeon will be back next week too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Also sounds like niyi and mckeon will be back next week too

yeah, vs Kings:)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Based on his analysis of the game he hadn't watched he has formed the opinion that Blade hasn't done enough to pass Cooney in the Irish SH pecking order.

Clown.

Surprised he hasn't complained about Blade's nationality... He is not from Dublin you know...

A.Friend
    “When you have fresh bodies who are eager to play, with a six-day turnaround there is every chance some, if not all of them, will play.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/european-cup/connacht-have-come-far-when-big-win-against-montpellier-is-pulled-apart-1.4088806?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    Amazing!! that's a hell of a good-looking team, then, to snap a BP!

1) Buckley
    2) Heff
    3) Bealham
    4) Roux
    5) Ultan
    6) Masterson
    7) Fainga'a
    8) Copeland
    9) Blade
    10) Carty
    11) Healy
    12) Aki
    13) Farrell
    14) Porch
    15) S.Fitzgerald

16) Delahunt
    17) McCabe
    18) McCoy
    19) Macksymiw
    20) Boyle
    21) Kerrins
    22) Robb/Daly
    23) Godwin

A reasonable guess and a strong looking team.

I would expect C.Fitzgerald to be on the bench at the very least

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone

On form Fitz deserves the start can see them sticking with carty though

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

What's the story with delahunt ?
    Would he be the starting 2 when fit ?

The Friend Zone
    Stan27 wrote: »
    What's the story with delahunt ?
    Would he be the starting 2 when fit ?

Last year would have been a toss up between delahunt and Heffernan but McCartney has been really good so far this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

On form Fitz deserves the start can see them sticking with carty though

Agreed. Carty may have just had an off day at the weekend. Given his last season I'd give him another start but be prepared to take him off if it's not working.
    Fitz 22 and Godwin 23 probably gives the best coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Mul being promoted from defence coach to forwards coach at Bristol next season.

Lebute wrote: »

I've thought about him for the last years, but now Roux is back, It will depend on Thornbury/Gallagher recovery time...

The Friend Zone
    Sean masterson added to European squad in place of thornbury- Murray kinsella

I don't get the hype with C.Fitz. He wasn't on the teamsheet last week before late injuries. No reason it changes this week, excluding one of our best players out of the 23 (Robb or Godwin).

He is 22 y.o, and will have plenty of opportunities better than Toulouse away to show how well-developing he is, starting next week vs Kings

Can't believe some would even have him ahead of international Carty because the latter had a bad day..:mad:

The Friend Zone
    I don't get the hype with C.Fitz. He wasn't on the teamsheet last week before late injuries. No reason it changes this week, excluding one of our best players out of the 23 (Robb or Godwin).

He is 22 y.o, and will have plenty of opportunities better than Toulouse away to show how well-developing he is, starting next week vs Kings

The hype with C Fitz? He’s been one of the best players this season regardless of age. He has every reason to be in the 23 against any opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over

Can't believe some would even have him ahead of international Carty because the latter had a bad day..:mad:

He has been playing better than Carty.

You can't insist that players should be picked on form for the Irish team based on form and then renage on that by make players untouchable for the province.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    He has been playing better than Carty.

You can't insist that players should be picked on form for the Irish team based on form and then renage on that by make players untouchable for the province.

If we were going to the Kings next week, I'd say the same but Jack has only had two games to be fair since coming back and we're going to Toulouse this weekend. It's a tough place for a young 10 to start.

The Friend Zone
    its_phil wrote: »
    If we were going to the Kings next week, I'd say the same but Jack has only had two games to be fair since coming back and we're going to Toulouse this weekend. It's a tough place for a young 10 to start.

Don’t think you need to start Fitz but he should be on the bench at the least

its_phil wrote: »

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone

I think it does change this week. He's proven his worth plenty this year and is more than capable. He's 22, not 17. No player is untouchable. Welcome to my ignore list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Conor Fitz has been excellent. I would go with Carty this week though, he had a poor game last week but he still had a couple of nice breaks and it was only his second game. Think he’s tougher to defend against than Fitzgerald is at the moment. Certainly not saying he’s untouchable and Conor Fitz might take the jersey if Carty doesn’t improve soon but Carty the right option this week imo.

Would maybe start Robertson McCoy, Bealham came back against Leinster and got injured after five minutes so think it might be better to have him for the last twenty five.

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Conor Fitz has been excellent. I would go with Carty this week though, he had a poor game last week but he still had a couple of nice breaks and it was only his second game. Think he’s tougher to defend against than Fitzgerald is at the moment. Certainly not saying he’s untouchable and Conor Fitz might take the jersey if Carty doesn’t improve soon but Carty the right option this week imo.

Would maybe start Robertson McCoy, Bealham came back against Leinster and got injured after five minutes so think it might be better to have him for the last twenty five.

Would you have Fitz on the bench though or leave him out? Very good point on McCoy and bealham would agree with that, McCoy has played well recently too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Would you have Fitz on the bench though or leave him out? Very good point on McCoy and bealham would agree with that, McCoy has played well recently too

Oh sorry yeah, Conor Fitz on bench for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    Don’t think you need to start Fitz but he should be on the bench at the least

Agree with that

Godwin and Robb and their experience/power absolutely needed vs Toulouse
    And if it was so obvious I'm wrong, just explain why C.Fitz wasn't on the teamsheet vs Montpellier before Niyi/Healy were pulled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think both

22. Fitzgerald
    23. Robb/Farrell/Daly

and

22. Robb/Farrell/Daly
    23. Stephen Fitz/Porch/whoever

are viable options that the coaches will consider

I think both

22. Fitzgerald
    23. Robb/Farrell/Daly

and

22. Robb/Farrell/Daly

One of Farrell/Robb/Godwin can't be in the 23 if there's C.Fitz. Friends love to play without "pure" back-up 10, and I hope he sticks with all these guys vs Toulouse

I think both

22. Fitzgerald
    23. Robb/Farrell/Daly

and

22. Robb/Farrell/Daly

Robb 22 for Centre and Godwin 23 covering wing and outhalf is more likely, as S.Fitz will start FB in all likelihood (no Leader, no TOH)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Godwin and Robb and their experience/power absolutely needed vs Toulouse
    And if it was so obvious I'm wrong, just explain why C.Fitz wasn't on the teamsheet vs Montpellier before Niyi/Healy were pulled out?

He played a lot of minutes so far and has proven himself to be more than adequate cover for Carty. Horwitz is a dud. Godwin is needed elsewhere.

• Advertisement

He played a lot of minutes so far and has proven himself to be more than adequate cover for Carty. Horwitz is a dud. Godwin is needed elsewhere.

I've never ever said he wasn't good.
    I've never talked about Horwitz (who's not rated at all it seems btw)

I'm talking about Carty playing 80 as he did 2 weeks ago. And Godwin is able, well able to cover 10 if needed. And Robb, powerhouse we desperately need would be in the 23.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement