Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Angus Lloyd on the bench is interesting.

Has he even played for Connacht this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Faugheen wrote: »
    Angus Lloyd on the bench is interesting.

Has he even played for Connacht this year?

Not so far this season. Probably would have been more involved if Marmion had gone to the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Not a bad team.

I don't think we will be beaten by the 23 point hcap with Ladbrokes.
    14/1 to win it with PaddyPower seems more than reasonable as well.

What's up with Bundee?
    Is it just saving minutes for the interpors and other Euro games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Not a bad team.

I don't think we will be beaten by the 23 point hcap with Ladbrokes.
    14/1 to win it with PaddyPower seems more than reasonable as well.

What's up with Bundee?
    Is it just saving minutes for the interpors and other Euro games?

A knock in training I heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What’s the story with Carty on the bench?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Shefwedfan wrote: »

Fitzgerald is playing well and deserves a chance.

Mul, it's over

Conor Fitz is playing really well this season, Carty not so muchin the last two games.
    Real competition going on at OH.
    Indeed most positions, outside the front row, don't have a clear 1st choice this year.

KBurke85 wrote: »

Fair play to Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Yeah I’m as big a Carty fan as anyone but nice to see form having consequences, hopefully it might translate to international level with the new reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Anyone know what channel the match is on tomorrow? Bt1 is showing the premier league, bt2 is showing cheats vs Ospreys and bt3 is showing Treviso vs Saints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

b.gud wrote: »
    Anyone know what channel the match is on tomorrow? Bt1 is showing the premier league, bt2 is showing cheats vs Ospreys and bt3 is showing Treviso vs Saints

BT sport extra, it'll be on the red button I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    b.gud wrote: »

It's on bt sport extra 2 I think. One of the bt extra channels anyway

Mul, it's over
    You have to be joking me!
    I bought the sports extra package on NowTV for tomorrow and the game isn't on it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

testtech05 wrote: »
    It's on bt sport extra 2 I think. One of the bt extra channels anyway

Yep it's bt extra 2 just saw it at the end of the Ulster game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Anyone know how to record from BT Sport red button?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

KBurke85 wrote: »

Fitz has has his chance and had now displaced Carty , His confidence must have taken a hit when an injured Carberry was selected ahead of him in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    TimHorton wrote: »
    Fitz has has his chance and had now displaced Carty , His confidence must have taken a hit when an injured Carberry was selected ahead of him in Japan.

Seriously lad get over Carty stealing your girlfriend or whatever. Pathetic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I reassed my position. Friend picked his pack to stabilze setpieces
    McCoy/McCabe can do the scrum job, Roux/Copeland will add grint in contact/mauls
    But mobility (tackling rate) and lineout jumps are question marks

Back selection : Daly has to avoid ANY knock-ons, Healy plays his 1st game in a while out-of-position (can be interesting though), and C.Fitz has never played in such a level, has to be clinical in every single kicks, tackles, decisions. Huge ask for him.

I do think the main target is the TBP. the point is to throw every pieces of energy to score 2 tries before the 50th minute, than have Bealham/Boyle/Robb/Carty in, and the Irish fighting spirit vs desinterested Stade to get the 2 next scores.

Sorry I am not trying to burst your bubble but this thread is full of Connacht getting a TBP, why do people think Toulouse are going to let 4 tries in at home? just looking at results and I don't see them letting loads of scores in at home.....

Leinster players all mentioned it is a really difficult pitch to play on last season.....

Mul, it's over
    Sorry I am not trying to burst your bubble but this thread is full of Connacht getting a TBP, why do people think Toulouse are going to let 4 tries in at home? just looking at results and I don't see them letting loads of scores in at home.....

Leinster players all mentioned it is a really difficult pitch to play on last season.....

It's only really one poster on about a tbp while losing the game.

It could become a shootout - but most of the comments here are about a decent showing maybe a lbp and I think everyone agrees a win would be quite excellent.

My personal opinion - we have been completely underestimated going into this, I would have the handicap at 12 or 14 points to Toulouse.
    Anything better than that would be really good and a great confidence boost.

• Advertisement

It's only really one poster on about a tbp while losing the game.

It could become a shootout - but most of the comments here are about a decent showing maybe a lbp and I think everyone agrees a win would be quite excellent.

My personal opinion - we have been completely underestimated going into this, I would have the handicap at 12 or 14 points to Toulouse and anything better than that would be really good and a great confidence boost.

Looking at it as a neutral I can't see Connacht picking up a TBP....sorry but Toulouse are no mugs....

I think a LBP is more of a target.....maybe Toulouse have underestimated Connacht, will have no idea till the game kicks off

Getting into a shoot out with Toulouse and to be honest it could be a landslide results and it won't be in favour of Connacht......

Looking at it as a neutral I can't see Connacht picking up a TBP....sorry but Toulouse are no mugs....

I think a LBP is more of a target.....maybe Toulouse have underestimated Connacht, will have no idea till the game kicks off

Getting into a shoot out with Toulouse and to be honest it could be a landslide results and it won't be in favour of Connacht......

A TBP is more likely than a LBP because Connacht have the back-line/back-row firepower to open up any defence. If we score twice before the hour of game, and Toulouse run out of reach, they might be a bit disinterested and the bench is able to score the next 2.

Somthing like 27-12 HT, 46-24 FT is IMO more possible than the tight low-scoring game

Mul, it's over
    Again nobody is REALLY saying that.
    I think a LBP is more of a target.....
    Agreed - thats pretty much what I said
    maybe Toulouse have underestimated Connacht, will have no idea till the game kicks off
    Yep no way of knowing what Toulouse are thinking - I was more talking about the media and bookmakers
    It wouldn't be a strategy I would choose but it is the only way a TBP is possible, that was what you posted about.

I think Connachta has a point in his interpretation of the selection. We will be looking to use our set piece. I don't expect the backs to be used much and we may continue the mauling strategy from last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone

I think it’s just that realistically getting one point from the match would be a good result, if that’s a lbp or a tbp don’t think it makes much difference. A Toulouse side could show up who are by in the mood for defending but put 60 odd points on Connacht, in that case Connacht could sneak a few easy tries.

Realistically though as you said it’s an extremely tough place to go and I think Connacht will give a good go but get nothing in terms of match points. Maybe a 10-15 point loss

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    A TBP is more likely than a LBP because Connacht have the back-line/back-row firepower to open up any defence. If we score twice before the hour of game, and Toulouse run out of reach, they might be a bit disinterested and the bench is able to score the next 2.

Somthing like 27-12 HT, 46-24 FT is IMO more possible than the tight low-scoring game
    Again nobody is REALLY saying that.

Damn it Connachta! :D:D:D I was trying to give you a way out!

That is not what will happen and it is completely counter to your points this morning.

Damn it Connachta! :D:D:D I was trying to give you a way out!

That is not what will happen and it is completely counter to your points this morning.

For me this is not at all a contradiction : big forwards, less mobility so a lot of try conceeded, but good plateform for our backs, and the Maul/Scrum in extra-time to grab the TBP!

Wegians89 wrote: »
    I think it’s just that realistically getting one point from the match would be a good result, if that’s a lbp or a tbp don’t think it makes much difference. A Toulouse side could show up who are by in the mood for defending but put 60 odd points on Connacht, in that case Connacht could sneak a few easy tries.

Realistically though as you said it’s an extremely tough place to go and I think Connacht will give a good go but get nothing in terms of match points. Maybe a 10-15 point loss

Yes!!

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    For me this is not at all a contradiction : big forwards, less mobility so a lot of try conceeded, but good plateform for our backs, and the Maul/Scrum in extra-time to grab the TBP!

Ah! So he picked the best forwards we have in order to concede tries, get hammered, and lull Toulouse into a false sense of security.
    Pounce late scoring 4 tries but still lose by more than 8 points.

Not long now until we see if that's how it pans out ;)

Any match point would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd be content enough with a 7 try win tbh. Don't think we have the players available to put 10 trys past Toulouse in France.

• Advertisement

Ah! So he picked the best forwards we have in order to concede tries, get hammered, and lull Toulouse into a false sense of security.
    Pounce late scoring 4 tries but still lose by more than 8 points.

Not long now until we see if that's how it pans out ;)

Any match point would be great.

I said score 2 before an hour!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement