Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Not a bad performance, the heavy rain worked against us a few times in the last 20.
    The lineout needs some work.

Disappointing not to get anything from the game and very frustrating to allow them the BP.

All in all we are holding our own in the competition but we are up against it to qualify now.
    We could really do with Montpellier denying Gloucester anything and Toulouse hammering Montpellier twice - then we have some hope.

Big thing from today - no apparant injuries, hopefully Farrell and Roux are okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

"If anyone’s ever in any doubt as to whether Connacht belonged in the Champions Cup, you can erase that now because we do”

The immediate reaction of head coach Andy Friend, perfectly said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    watched most of the game with french commentary,

Felt we played very well, against the superstars!!!!!

and so many players are really learning,

Conor Fitz.... he is a real player and is a natural kicker, you always feel Carty has to work at it,

I dont think we could ask for anythin more off this team, they will learn and bring it into the northampton games,

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

It was great to see Quinn Roux back. Our second row is so important to our ambitions. And young Fitzgerald is a proper delight to watch. While it took Jack many years to be comfortable at 10 this young lad has slotted in seamlessly. Lots of positives at Connacht at the moment

gally74 wrote: »

I dont think we could ask for anythin more off this team, they will learn and bring it into the northampton games,

I don't want to wait a few years to face Northampton again. Just bring it in against Gloucester:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Missed the game cuz I was at work but was following along. Fairly disappointed not to get anything out of it considering how close it was. Is the scoreline a fair reflection of the game overall or would it have been fairer without that try in the red?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Missed the game cuz I was at work but was following along. Fairly disappointed not to get anything out of it considering how close it was. Is the scoreline a fair reflection of the game overall or would it have been fairer without that try in the red?

Fairer without the try at the end being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Plucky performance from Connacht but the Toulouse pack was just too powerful when they could string the phases together. Some woeful kicking from Connacht in the game though.

One thing I couldn't understand and didn't see mentioned so far was how Connacht didn't get a penalty try when Medard slapped the ball out of the ingoal area just before Blades try.

The Friend Zone
    baas baa wrote: »
    Plucky performance from Connacht but the Toulouse pack was just too powerful when they could string the phases together. Some woeful kicking from Connacht in the game though.

One thing I couldn't understand and didn't see mentioned so far was how Connacht didn't get a penalty try when Medard slapped the ball out of the ingoal area just before Blades try.

no, and no TMO involvment

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

gally74 wrote: »
    no, and no TMO involvment

Sorry but what does no mean? Should it have been a PT? By my understanding it was.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    baas baa wrote: »
    Sorry but what does no mean? Should it have been a PT? By my understanding it was.

Given their was a try potential, I thought they could go to the t m o....

Porch looked good today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I honestly thought we were quite poor. Set piece was second best all day, discipline wasn’t good, systems errors in defense and plenty of individual errors.

The positives for me were the physicality, Fainga’a, and Conor Fitzgerald.

Edit: also pleased that we hung with one of the top teams in Europe (admittedly playing well below their potential) despite not playing particularly well.

Mul, it's over
    LBP for Gloucester in the last few minutes but just the 4 points for Montpellier.

Not too bad. Gloucester will still consider themselves in contention - so next match is pretty much make or break for us.
    Having the Kings next week is a nice reprieve from the pressure of the last 3 weeks.

It's all about Kingsholme!
    And owe them one or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Anyone watch it? Were Montpelier better or worse than last week?

macslash wrote: »

Same. Turnovers with their pack + Serpontein and Bouthier. Not much more..

Mul, it's over
    macslash wrote: »

Not too hot.
    Big pack and little else.

Gloucester even more dissappointing, couldn't make a dent in Montpellier despite them having a man sent off for the last half hour.
    It's a pity we don't have the home game against them first.
    However, I would still be quietly confident - depending on injury updates.

Not too hot.
    Big pack and little else.

Gloucester even more dissappointing, couldn't make a dent in Montpellier despite them having a man sent off for the last half hour.
    It's a pity we don't have the home game against them first.
    However, I would still be quietly confident - depending on injury updates.

To be fair their handling is quite exceptionnal. So many passes and very few mistakes.
    But not much more, indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Half watched it but they should've easily got the 4 try bonus. Nadolo would've done damage last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I wonder if there will be another re-signing this week ?

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I wonder if there will be another re-signing this week ?

Why not a newcomer too...

first position I see is hooker, McCartney will be 34 soon, and a guy like Annett would be a nice choice. Donnellan if not, has played a good bit of pro Rugby in France and England D2, plays with Clontarf now, 25, could be a decent prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Fainga’a renewal please, at this rate he will be players player of year again, class act. McCartney is playing well, would like him to get one year renewal. With Heffernan and Delahunt there and hopefully Tierney Martin beginning to break through towards end of this season/start of next season, will set at hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

The following are definitely out of contract:

Tom McCartney
    Robin Copeland
    Eoghan Masterson
    Bundee Aki
    Matt Healy

The following signed contracts of undisclosed length in 2018, that were more than likely for 2 years:

Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    Jonny Murphy
    Cillian Gallagher
    Joe Maksymiw
    Colby Fainga'a
    Caolin Blade
    Dave Horwitz
    Kyle Godwin
    Darragh Leader

There were also a couple of younger players who signed deals last year that may have only been for one year.

Mul, it's over

Tom McCartney
    Robin Copeland
    Eoghan Masterson
    Bundee Aki
    Matt Healy

The following signed contracts of undisclosed length in 2018, that were more than likely for 2 years:

Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    Jonny Murphy
    Cillian Gallagher
    Joe Maksymiw
    Colby Fainga'a
    Caolin Blade
    Dave Horwitz
    Kyle Godwin
    Darragh Leader

There were also a couple of younger players who signed deals last year that may have only been for one year.

Would expect Leader, Blade, Gallagher, Masterson, Robertson McCoy, Aki and Healy all to stay. Haven’t seen that much of Maksymiw but think he’s seen as having potential so think he will stick around too.

Hopefully Fainga’a will be seen as project player and signed to three year deal. Would be great to keep Godwin but might be tricky.

Copeland has come into some form recently but there’s probably concerns around his fitness, wouldn’t be overly keen on extension longer than one year. Hopefully McCartney agrees one year deal but could have similar problem as Muldowney where Connacht could only offer one year deal.

Think Horwitz and Murphy will probably move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone

Tom McCartney
    Robin Copeland
    Eoghan Masterson
    Bundee Aki
    Matt Healy

Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    Jonny Murphy
    Cillian Gallagher
    Joe Maksymiw
    Colby Fainga'a
    Caolin Blade
    Dave Horwitz
    Kyle Godwin
    Darragh Leader

Blades was a two year deal. He was interview after he signed and he said he was happy to be sticking around for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Tom Farrell ruled out for 6 weeks :(

Connacht star's Six Nations hopes dealt a blow with shoulder fracture https://the42.ie/4907281

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

testtech05 wrote: »
    Tom Farrell ruled out for 6 weeks :(

Connacht star's Six Nations hopes dealt a blow with shoulder fracture https://the42.ie/4907281

Ffs he was playing so well.

Back for 6 nations!
    he's proven enough to join the Irish squad in mid-January!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

connachta wrote: »
    Back for 6 nations!
    he's proven enough to join the Irish squad in mid-January!

He'll be missing most of the camps and would be only back a week or two before the first game. It's probably to tight a window to introduce a new player to be honest. It's a shame as he's gone well and deserves a chance.

Mul, it's over
    Sickener. At least there’s a few coming back with Butler, Buckley, McKeon, Adeolokun and Rory Burke all available. Wonder if the Aussie signing Goddard might be in 23 this week? Would seem to be only opportunity to give him game time in foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Sickener. At least there’s a few coming back with Butler, Buckley, McKeon, Adeolokun and Rory Burke all available. Wonder if the Aussie signing Goddard might be in 23 this week? Would seem to be only opportunity to give him game time in foreseeable future.

Not much point signing him til New Year if he's not going to play this game, he wouldn't be available til after Gloucester games otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement