Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Third of the season gone after this weekend and Connacht likely to be one point off top position. Munster obviously favourites for first but Connacht capable of giving it a rattle. Scarlets and Edinburgh being challenge cup means they will have it mind too though. Benetton will continue to improve as season goes on, tight conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    Disagree I'm really affraid we're in a battle for 3rd with Scarlets

Hope we've a home Champions Cup play-off at least, this competition is so great for us

I would expect nothing less from you - ever the optimist! :):p
    I see what you mean but I'd be more of the opinion we'd be better off if Munster hammered everyone and we might sneak second cant see us topping the conference

I prefer the look of 4 going for 3 spots rather than 3 going for 2.

Including Treviso
    I prefer the look of 5 going for 3 spots rather than 4 going for 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Is Conor Fitzgerald the #1 10 now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Is Conor Fitzgerald the #1 10 now?

More important

Is he sprout or turnip? I can’t remember :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Circus of incompetence by Connacht and Kings.

• Advertisement

What’s the penalty count by both sides at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

Conor Fitzgerald has had a super game

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Connacht seem determined to let Kings back into the game. Then the King's kick a penalty past the dead ball line.

Circus of incompetence continues.

Conor Fitzgerald has had a super game

Looks a real prospect

Hopefully he starts next week

Healy at 15 is not great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

3 big wins this night

1) Bonus point
    2) No apparent injuries
    3) Bealham, Niyi, Roux, Healy as 15, Delahunt, Butler and to a lesser extent Burke and Fainga'a all have had valuable gametime recently coming back from injury

• Advertisement

I think Healy is a bit rusty but overall played well. Porsh settles in XV rugby so well.
    Maul and lineout are a work in progress.
    Main concern from Toulouse and this endings is the tendency to get ripped off the ball.. Main optimism is the flair we inject in the game, even if execution is not always there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Healy is always ropey coming back off injury.

Felt we were fairly sloppy in the 22 after the 4th try. Bit one dimensional running everything through Bundee.

Fitz and Porch were excellent.

Looked like Faainga took a couple of knocks so hopefully he's OK for next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Maul defence remains a huge issue. Can't imagine kings exactly have the best maul in the league but they were wiping the floor with us. Some absolutely abysmal soak tackles off pick and goes in the first half especially too, another problem we've seen before.

That said, glad just to get our with 5 points. We have a habit of underperforming against teams we're strong favourites to beat. We've done it against Zebre, dragons and Treviso quite a few times.

Mul, it's over
    It’s very strange, maul defence looked fairly good against Toulouse and now looked terrible against kings. Think Gloucester are well beatable but that’s one area that needs to be sorted.

Mul, it's over
    Unfortunately had to go pick my girlfriend up from the airport so missed the last 20 but Carty looked to be playing reasonably well when he came on, did he carry on with that?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Unfortunately had to go pick my girlfriend up from the airport so missed the last 20 but Carty looked to be playing reasonably well when he came on, did he carry on with that?

Yes one great kick to touch in open play and one line attack/offload which could have led to a likely try if there weren't knock-on

I'm very lonely to think our Irish international should start in Europe/Big games and not an (in form) 22 y.o, but I stick with my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    He also had a RIDICULOUSLY good cross field kick from a penalty and another one in the 22 both could easily have been tries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Yes one great kick to touch in open play and one line attack/offload which could have led to a likely try if there weren't knock-on

I'm very lonely to think our Irish international should start in Europe/Big games and not an (in form) 22 y.o, but I stick with my opinion

he did ok, he is more creative i think in open play, but Fitzy is a natural kicker of the ball, open play, goal scoring, going inside the 22 for a penalty, it looks 2nd nature for him, always feel Carty is over concentrating or something,

But hey from where we were in July.. when some were looking for someone to be signed... Were rocking at 10... and 9....

gally74 wrote: »
    he did ok, he is more creative i think in open play, but Fitzy is a natural kicker of the ball, open play, goal scoring, going inside the 22 for a penalty, it looks 2nd nature for him, always feel Carty is over concentrating or something,

But hey from where we were in July.. when some were looking for someone to be signed... Were rocking at 10... and 9....

Llyod didn't play bad BTW

About Fitz I notice he's not physical enough for Europe, that's obvious in his tackle and reluctance to attack the line AND he's not a natural kicker to the post, missing hard conversions by a huge, huge margin

This guy is good, he saved us for the RWC period, but FFS let's get reasonable and have Carty for the next 3

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    I'd expect Jack to get at least one of the kicks Fitz missed yesterday, so to say he's a better goal kicker is stretching it a bit. I get what people mean that he looks like it comes more natural to him, but that doesn't actually mean hes a better kicker at this point

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Fitzgerald is probably one of the most complete 22 year old out halves I've seen playing in Ireland. That said, I think Jack is probably still a far way ahead of him in ability right now, hopefully he gets over his bit of a world cup hangover.

There's only way Fitzgerald is going though, and that's brilliant for us.

Fitzgerald is probably one of the most complete 22 year old out halves I've seen playing in Ireland. That said, I think Jack is probably still a far way ahead of him in ability right now, hopefully he gets over his bit of a world cup hangover.

Sexton, Burns and Byrne were serious prospects at 22

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Don’t be ridiculous Joey carbery and Ross Byrne were better at 22, Harry Byrne is better at 20, jj was at 22 too

Mul, it's over
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    Don’t be ridiculous Joey carbery and Ross Byrne were better at 22, Harry Byrne is better at 20, jj was at 22 too

Agree on Carbery and Ross Byrne. Don’t think JJ had a consistent run of form at 22, probably only last season or so he got a good run at ten. I wouldn’t take Harry Byrne ahead of Fitzgerald right now, though I think he has massive potential and could well end up being the best of the list.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Agree on Carbery and Ross Byrne. Don’t think JJ had a consistent run of form at 22, probably only last season or so he got a good run at ten. I wouldn’t take Harry Byrne ahead of Fitzgerald right now, though I think he has massive potential and could well end up being the best of the list.

Billy Burns and Sexton were above in the list at 22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »

Ultimately it doesn't really matter who was better at 22 or who as more potential.
    We have a young out half playing fantastic rugby let's enjoy watching it and watching him develop.

Mul, it's over
    Lol, some serious responses there! I didn't say the "best" I didn't even say "most promising", I said "most complete". I think he has a pretty great all round game, Johnny Sexton was also a very complete 10 at a young age. Ross Byrne's running game needed work, he's improving it now. Joey Carbery's distribution and kicking game needed improving, he had and has a tendency to take far too much on himself. Again, he's improved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

Bazzo wrote:
    Lol, some serious responses there! I didn't say the "best" I didn't even say "most promising", I said "most complete". I think he has a pretty great all round game, Johnny Sexton was also a very complete 10 at a young age. Ross Byrne's running game needed work, he's improving it now. Joey Carbery's distribution and kicking game needed improving, he had and has a tendency to take far too much on himself. Again, he's improved it.

There will be many who will be awaiting the team sheet on Friday with much interest. Certainly I will be one. For such a crunch game this weekend the 10 selection will be highly anticipated

Listening to House of Rugby podcast earlier and they talked about Connacht potentially fielding a weakened team.....

Would they really?

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Heard a rumour over on the Leinster thread that Aki only got a 3 year central deal to keep the fans happy, in particular Connacht fans on Boards.

Not sure if there is any substance to it - but thought this was a better place to discuss it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement