Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

Go back to your Leinster thread Venjur. You're being a very bold boy

It's funny I was recently pondering what it must be like to be a Leinster supporter these days and I figured it must as boring as hell. So anytime you wish to change allegiance and get a bit of spice back in your life you are welcome to become a Connacht supporter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Listening to House of Rugby podcast earlier and they talked about Connacht potentially fielding a weakened team.....

Would they really?
    Given their parent company's current issues with numeracy, I'd imagine we're going to field a team of at least 20,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Heard a rumour over on the Leinster thread that Aki only got a 3 year central deal to keep the fans happy, in particular Connacht fans on Boards.

Not sure if there is any substance to it - but thought this was a better place to discuss it.

Not saying Aki didn’t deserve it

It’s is hugely positive PR for the IRFU after a couple of fairly s**t months.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Heard a rumour over on the Leinster thread that Aki only got a 3 year central deal to keep the fans happy, in particular Connacht fans on Boards.

Not sure if there is any substance to it - but thought this was a better place to discuss it.

You’re grand cheers Venjur. We have enough delusional ramblings here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Listening to House of Rugby podcast earlier and they talked about Connacht potentially fielding a weakened team.....

Would they really?

You’d probably be better off listening to Andy Friend.

“Our Champions Cup will depend on who wins next weekend. If we get an away win, then we are very much in the hunt here, and if we don’t do that I think we might possibly have kissed goodbye to it,”

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote:
    “Our Champions Cup will depend on who wins next weekend. If we get an away win, then we are very much in the hunt here, and if we don’t do that I think we might possibly have kissed goodbye to it,â€

That's exactly how I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

That's exactly how I see it

I disagree. We can target 14 poins vs Gloucester/Toulouse home + disinterested Montpellier away

18/19 points (total) may have us through.
    But of course, full-team this week, yes :). Any Champions Cup game should have been played this way (unhappy not to have seen Buckley in Toulouse)

Mul, it's over
    Think Marmion is meant to be back this week? Would really strengthen bench impact.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Think Marmion is meant to be back this week? Would really strengthen bench impact.

Doubt about it, probably next..

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    Go back to your Leinster thread Venjur. You're being a very bold boy

It's funny I was recently pondering what it must be like to be a Leinster supporter these days and I figured it must as boring as hell. So anytime you wish to change allegiance and get a bit of spice back in your life you are welcome to become a Connacht supporter.

Nah, European finals are very exciting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Craggy Podcast mentioned all internationals who went Japan have 3 weeks off at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

Craggy Podcast mentioned all internationals who went Japan have 3 weeks off at Christmas.

if that's true it's a great opportunity to beat Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

typhoony wrote: »

The Leinster side that spanked Connacht a month ago was hardly a star studded line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

typhoony wrote: »

Have you forgotten some of the Leinster teams that have beaten us in the RDS in recent years? We made Noel Reid look good ffs ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Zzippy wrote: »
    Have you forgotten some of the Leinster teams that have beaten us in the RDS in recent years? We made Noel Reid look good ffs ...

I still remember some venjur Gonzaga type laughing at me when Noel Reid hit Bundee with a monster hit.

*shudders*

Zzippy wrote: »

AND Glasgow away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over

I thought they said two weeks break?

Ya I listened back. 2 weeks off for Bundee and Jack. Could see Jack start next weekend perhaps.

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Not saying Aki didn’t deserve it

Shefwedfan wrote:
    It’s is hugely positive PR for the IRFU after a couple of fairly s**t months.....

If I were to be honest about it, as a Connacht fan, I don't see Bundee as being the future of Irish centres. There are many options. I am not saying Bundee will not be the best ever Irish centre. I would just like to understand who merits a central contract. I would like to understand why a central contract gets renewed, what committee makes this decision, on what criteria they base their decision, what points based system they use.

I have no idea why Bundee got a central contract. I would like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Probably because he's started the vast majority of games he's been available for since he became qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,616 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    I disagree. We can target 14 poins vs Gloucester/Toulouse home + disinterested Montpellier away

18/19 points (total) may have us through.
    But of course, full-team this week, yes :). Any Champions Cup game should have been played this way (unhappy not to have seen Buckley in Toulouse)

Toulouse win v Monty twice and they are looking at top seeding opportunity. The back to backs will decide a lot of groups

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Toulouse win v Monty twice and they are looking at top seeding opportunity.

Disagree. If they beat Montpellier twice + Gloucester home they'll be top seed. No need to send us full-team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Disagree. If they beat Montpellier twice + Gloucester home they'll be top seed. No need to send us full-team

They come to us before they play Gloucester at home.

They come to us before they play Gloucester at home.

Yes but they rather target Gloucester home the us away. Obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Yes but they rather target Gloucester home the us away. Obviously

The obvious strategy, to me anyway, would be to put as many points as possible on the board as quickly as possible.

Then, if the last game has no bearing on the seeding, consider resting players then.

Still think we can beat them if we have a full squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

If I were to be honest about it, as a Connacht fan, I don't see Bundee as being the future of Irish centres. There are many options. I am not saying Bundee will not be the best ever Irish centre. I would just like to understand who merits a central contract. I would like to understand why a central contract gets renewed, what committee makes this decision, on what criteria they base their decision, what points based system they use.

I have no idea why Bundee got a central contract. I would like to know.

If you want to grow rugby in all 4 provinces, it would make sense to give the talisman of the "4th" province a central contract.

Plus Bundee as stated has been available for nearly every international since he qualified - as opposed to Henshaw, Ringrose and Farrell.

Plus most importantly Bundee's a good lad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Hugh Lane, from the academy, has been added to the Irish 7s invitational squad for the Dubai 7s.

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-sevens-development-sides-dubai-invitational-4915516-Dec2019/

Mul, it's over
    Eoin Toolan, who was on the 42 podcast over the rugby world cup, former Irish analyst under Declan Kidney and now working with Melbourne Rebels (Fainga’as old club) on Fainga’a https://twitter.com/toolan82/status/1196720419832623104?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 11,616 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over

Toulouse will not be sending a weakened team to Galway.

Saints/Leinster, Munster/Racing, Exeter and Ulster/Clermont are also in the mix for top 2 seedings.

Can only see Toulouse losing interest if they lose twice to Monty.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Toulouse will not be sending a weakened team to Galway.

Saints/Leinster, Munster/Racing, Exeter and Ulster/Clermont are also in the mix for top 2 seedings.

Can only see Toulouse losing interest if they lose twice to Monty.

24 points may be enough to be top 2, the others you quoted neutralise partly each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Eoin Toolan, who was on the 42 podcast over the rugby world cup, former Irish analyst under Declan Kidney and now working with Melbourne Rebels (Fainga’as old club) on Fainga’a https://twitter.com/toolan82/status/1196720419832623104?s=21

He has been epic for us. Even after those long layoffs with injury he just hits the ground running and is more often than not the best player on the team. I would be extremely happy if he signed on again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement