Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    We may see McKeon back in this weekend covering from the bench. I'd go with Boyle 6 Butler 7 and Copeland at 8. Tough on Masterson but I think Boyle and Copeland offer more carrying ability.

100% agree

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Bring Dillane in, the rest, due to injuries, has to be unchanged for the next 3 weeks
    McKeon back is a huge relief. Worried about back-3, though, we're clearly 1 injury from Will Goddard playing
    And what about Thornbury?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

connachta wrote: »
    Bring Dillane in, the rest, due to injuries, has to be unchanged for the next 3 weeks
    McKeon back is a huge relief. Worried about back-3, though, we're clearly 1 injury from Will Goddard playing
    And what about Thornbury?

Think Sullivan or McNulty would be in line before Goddard, as they've been around the squad longer. We've six very tough games coming up on consecutive weekends, I don't envy the task of trying to manage the squad through them. The pragmatic approach would be to rotate heavily for Europe but I don't think we should or will send out second choice teams for home Champions Cup games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    With RWC players having to get two full weeks off, would guess most of them will be gone for first two interpros, returning for third to get game or some minutes in before last rounds of Europe.

That would make Munster (h) and Ulster (a) the most likely opportunities for Connacht, although Ulster won’t be too affected (down only three players, presuming Herring isn’t included for his brief stint in Japan) and will potentially rotate the week before in the RDS.

Could see good lot of lads getting rest in Dublin, especially with some of those currently injured possibly back for that.

Considering how hard the run of games is I'd write off the Champions Cup tbh, even three wins wouldnt guarantee advancing.

Maybe they should just revert to 16 teams as this craic with a few second placed teams missing out means you can have dead rubbers far too early in the group stages.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Scotland considering Eoghan Masterson as an option according to this

https://extra.ie/2019/12/12/sport/rugby/for-thurs-scots-planning-to-snatch-in-form-connacht-star-from-under-irelands-noses?

Haven’t come across extra before in rugby coverage but the few pieces I recall seeing from this journalist, Rory Keane, have all been decent I think so would imagine there is some credibility to it.

Would be good to see him get international honours but hope his contract renewal is done, very impressive start to season by him.

ClanofLams wrote: »

https://extra.ie/2019/12/12/sport/rugby/for-thurs-scots-planning-to-snatch-in-form-connacht-star-from-under-irelands-noses?

Haven’t come across extra before in rugby coverage but the few pieces I recall seeing from this journalist, Rory Keane, have all been decent I think so would imagine there is some credibility to it.

Would be good to see him get international honours but hope his contract renewal is done, very impressive start to season by him.

Interesting, I like Masterson but think the injury a few years back robbed him of the physicality/explosiveness needed for test level rugby.

Hope his contract gets renewed soon, he strikes me as a great man to have in the squad for attitude, leadership, and rugby intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He writes for the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Long term he would have to leave Ireland then, as IRFU unlikely to grant a contract extension to a player who's rendered himself NIQ. Don't think he's test level anyway after the injuries he's had. Not even first choice for Connacht when all are fit.

Mul, it's over
    Agree that injury was massive blow to him. But think he’s pretty close to first choice for Connacht, has had some excellent games this season. It’s Butler and Fainga’a then Boyle/Masterson for me, with the latter being close to 50:50, that seems to be how the coaches have it based on selection too.

• Advertisement

Eagles are playing Ulster in Glenina tomorrow at 2, anyone going?

Agree that injury was massive blow to him. But think he’s pretty close to first choice for Connacht, has had some excellent games this season. It’s Butler and Fainga’a then Boyle/Masterson for me, with the latter being close to 50:50, that seems to be how the coaches have it based on selection too.

Yeah it's close between him, Boyle, McKeon and SOB when all fit (never) but think he had a higher potential or ceiling that he just hasnt got near since he broke into the squad. It's such an attritional position I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Lads Niall Murray has been playing unbelievable in ail this season would be very surprised if he doesn’t debut soon, possibly off the bench this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    Lads Niall Murray has been playing unbelievable in ail this season would be very surprised if he doesn’t debut soon, possibly off the bench this week?

Not unless we pick another injury or two in the 2nd row

The Friend Zone
    Lucas44 wrote: »

Fair play you were right Murray on the bench

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    We're officially out of fit backs who are eligible then?

Jack at 15?!!

Two playmakers or just stuck for back 3 players?

Edit: Must be, 6:2 split on the bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Mul, it's over
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Jack at 15?!!

Two playmakers or just stuck for back 3 players?

Three playmakers.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    We're officially out of fit backs who are eligible then?

Horwitz is playing for the Eagles.

Mul, it's over
    Is Roux injured or rested? If Connacht qualify again next season, really need to expand squad by three or four players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Is Roux injured or rested? If Connacht qualify again next season, really need to expand squad by three or four players.

Rested played full 80 in the last 3 games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    Great to see McKeon back! Very good player. With Masterson going well and Copeland healthy, Connacht have options in the back row.
    Carty could be a sleeper at fb. He's a good footballer!
    I expect a win here, by how much, tough to say. Hopefully a 5 pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Horwitz is playing for the Eagles.

Says a lot about how he is rated

Matthew Burke came off injured today, hopefully it’s not serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Only stayed for first half. 3 tries apiece at that stage connacht were better of two sides for me at that stage. Was Impressed by both connacht half backs. Lloyd and dean. Did very well. Lloyd had some good carries and good in general

Only stayed for first half. 3 tries apiece at that stage connacht were better of two sides for me at that stage. Was Impressed by both connacht half backs. Lloyd and dean. Did very well. Lloyd had some good carries and good in general

I caught the last 50 or so. Second half was a strange one, Connacht scored a breakaway try early then dominated possession and territory for 25 minutes or so, including 10 where McCann was in the bin, but only came out with 5 points. Ulster came back into it with 10-15 to go and scored two nice tries courtesy of some fairly watery Connacht defense.

Didn’t think anyone really demanded selection at senior level tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

No coverage of the game in Germany. Would greatly appreciate a PM if someone has a link. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's stupid from McKeon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement