Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Think Peter Sullivan would be the next cab off the rank. I’ve seen Goddard play twice in the last two weeks and I wouldn’t say he’s ready for first team rugby.

I’m more worried about loosehead. McCabe and Matt Burke both came off injured this weekend. Next in line seems to be Declan Adamson, who was playing hooker until very recently.

He wasn’t playing hooker, he is a hooker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Lucas44 wrote: »
    He wasn’t playing hooker, he is a hooker

Semantics, he played 30 mins at loosehead this weekend anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Munster | Ulster | Leinster | Toulouse
    Buckley | Buckley | Buckley | McAllister
    Heff | McCartney | Delahunt | Heff
    Bealham | Kenny | McCoy | Bealham
    Roux | Macksymiw | Macksymiw | Roux
    Dillane | Murray | Dillane | Thornbury
    Boyle | McKeon | Masterson | Boyle
    Butler | E.Masterson | Fainga’a | Fainga’a
    McKeon | Copeland | Butler | Butler
    Blade | Kerrins | Marmion | Blade
    Carty | Fitzgerald | Fitzgerald | Carty
    Healy | Porsh | Healy | Healy
    Aki | Robb | Aki | Aki
    Daly | Godwin| Robb | Farrell
    Godwin | Niyi (or Goddard) | Porsh | Porsh
    Porsch | Carty | TOH | TOH
    | | | |
    McCartney | Heff | McCartney | McCartney
    McCabe (or Adamson) | McCabe | McAllister | Buckley
    McCoy | Bealham | Bealham | McCoy
    Macksymiw | Roux | Thornbury | Dillane
    Copeland | Boyle | McKeon | Masterson
    Kerrin | Blade | Blade | Marmion
    Fitzgerald | Horwitz | Daly | Fitzgerald
    Robb | Daly | Leader | Niyi

Respects Aki and Carty forced rest and Fainga'a/McAllister/Thornbury not rushed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Aki will have 2 weeks off over Christmas like other internationals

Bazzo wrote: »
    Aki will have 2 weeks off over Christmas like other internationals

2 weeks?:eek::eek:

But he was rested/had a little knock in Toulouse. Optimistic it was negociated with IRFU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    All RWC players have two full weeks off without training or anything Andy Friend said. So Aki and Carty will definitely miss ulster game and either Munster the week before or Leinster the week after.

Would think Munster will give most of their RWC players the next two weeks off and get them some minutes before Europe. Think that’s what most provinces will do. Connacht might do the opposite given injury toll and next week being only home fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,616 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    Disagree about Northampton/Sarries
    Both are focused on Premiership and there's a good chance they let it slip vs Racing (home but against a proper opposition interested for Top2 seeding), and Lyon (away, vs a team which need to offer their fan a real home win)
    Same for Glasgow (home vs motivated Exeter AND away vs Sale which won't give up their final home match)
    Munster are entitled to lose in Paris and finished with 17.

Saints will TBP v Benetton IMO so cannot see them throwing away a QF chance away to Lyon. Surely Lyon would be more focussed domestically seen as they are out of Europe?

R92 beat Munster and they win the group but they cannot be a top 2 seed due to the draw in Thomond as two of Leinster, Exeter and Toulouse will take those spots IMO. So they may rest players away to Saracens

Leinster Exeter Toulouse R92 Clermont will win their groups

Ulster will qualify with a win over Bath
    Sarries will move onto 15 with TBP win v Ospreys meaning any win v R92 who are likely to rotate if they have won the group

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Saints will TBP v Benetton IMO so cannot see them throwing away a QF chance away to Lyon. Surely Lyon would be more focussed domestically seen as they are out of Europe?

R92 beat Munster and they win the group but they cannot be a top 2 seed due to the draw in Thomond as two of Leinster, Exeter and Toulouse will take those spots IMO. So they may rest players away to Saracens

Leinster Exeter Toulouse R92 Clermont will win their groups

Ulster will qualify with a win over Bath
    Sarries will move onto 15 with TBP win v Ospreys meaning any win v R92 who are likely to rotate if they have won the group

Right about Top2 but R92 would risk an away QF if they don't win in Sarries (even if Toulouse lose against us). They'll play the game.
    Lyon will be home to save a catastrophic campain and Northampton are quite poor.
    I'm optimistic Glasgow will lose one of their last two.

So as I said, we're not favorite for a spot, but it's far from impossible

Mul, it's over
    I think Exeter will beat Glasgow and rule them out. I’m assuming two will come out of Munster group. Connacht need to win their two and hope Northampton lose to lyon. I wouldn’t totally rule out Treviso shocking them either though Northampton obviously strong favourites.

Would happily take eight points now to leave Connacht on 16.

Mul, it's over
    Saw a stat there during one of the matches, Aki currently has the 3rd most turnovers in the Heineken cup this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    Saw a stat there during one of the matches, Aki currently has the 3rd most turnovers in the Heineken cup this year.

thats fair, but i felt HEFF was man of the match on Saturday, best ive seen him in a long time,

dillans best game for Conn too for a long time, we must have stole, 3 line outs,

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I think Exeter will beat Glasgow and rule them out. I’m assuming two will come out of Munster group. Connacht need to win their two and hope Northampton lose to lyon. I wouldn’t totally rule out Treviso shocking them either though Northampton obviously strong favourites.

Would happily take eight points now to leave Connacht on 16.

Munster will finish on 16/17.
    We need a BP somewhere IMO. Maybe 2
    Northampton might get 9/10. If we got 10/10, still game on!
    Same for Glasgow, who might win both but without any BP. 9/10 may get us through

I know it's hard task to take BP vs Toulouse/Montpelllier but we proved how close we are in the first leg

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Looks like Goddard will be staying on after Christmas, great coup if he does stay.. was very highly rated in school.. on the other hand he’ll be the 6th Aussie in Galway, bit of a south Africa and Munster vibe starting to be created

gally74 wrote: »
    thats fair, but i felt HEFF was man of the match on Saturday, best ive seen him in a long time,

dillans best game for Conn too for a long time, we must have stole, 3 line outs,

These are two players i've been calling into the squad many times for one simple reason : we need ball-carriers, they are!
    Most teams have this kind of n°8, we have other profiles (Butler or McKeon aren't contact-gainers, Boyle is still young)

Bealham/McCoy helped a lot too

Looks like Goddard will be staying on after Christmas, great coup if he does stay.. was very highly rated in school.. on the other hand he’ll be the 6th Aussie in Galway, bit of a south Africa and Munster vibe starting to be created

Huge difference is he's IQ, we don't break the rules:P

Mul, it's over
    Munster will finish on 16/17.
    We need a BP somewhere IMO. Maybe 2
    Northampton might get 9/10. If we got 10/10, still game on!
    Same for Glasgow, who might win both but without any BP. 9/10 may get us through

I know it's hard task to take BP vs Toulouse/Montpelllier but we proved how close we are in the first leg

Northampton might get six too. Sure ideally Connacht would get nine or ten points but eight will give them a decent chance.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Northampton might get six too. Sure ideally Connacht would get nine or ten points but eight will give them a decent chance.

Yes I expect Lyon to beat tham. What I meant is we have to focus on ourselves, even if others win, it's not over...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,616 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Right about Top2 but R92 would risk an away QF if they don't win in Sarries (even if Toulouse lose against us). They'll play the game.
    Lyon will be home to save a catastrophic campain and Northampton are quite poor.
    I'm optimistic Glasgow will lose one of their last two.

So as I said, we're not favorite for a spot, but it's far from impossible

Your narrative keeps changing to suit what Connacht need. Two weeks ago Toulouse would send a rotated side to Galway because of the top14 schedule. Now that idea is sidelined because winning a meaningless game means something.

Surely Montpellier would be the same as Lyon then? Trying to save a catastrophic campaign in R6 in front of their own fans?

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Your narrative keeps changing to suit what Connacht need. Two weeks ago Toulouse would send a rotated side to Galway because of the top14 schedule. Now that idea is sidelined because winning a meaningless game means something.

Surely Montpellier would be the same as Lyon then? Trying to save a catastrophic campaign in R6 in front of their own fans?

That's true. What you can't admit (and I've done it) is BOTH can happen

Montpellier OR Lyon can play to win or throw the towel (I'd bet on Lyon playing because they only beat Treviso when Montpellier beat Gloucester)

Toulouse (away to us) OR R92 (away to Sarries) can play full-squad or slighly rotate, (I'd bet on R92 to give it all because it's the final game and they'd know more clearly what to expect, depending on other results)

So you have my points, it's 50/50 each way, there's no need for controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over

Where are you getting this from?
    I wonder will we see him next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Honestly can't see Connacht winning in Montpellier even though the French side have only pride to play for. Hope I'm wrong but if Connacht can't win in Gloucester it's hard to see them winning in the south of France. Yes they played well for 60 minutes away to Toulouse but came away with nothing in the end. Chances of Connacht qualifying for KO stages are slim IMHO and if Toulouse produce anything like their performance away to Montpellier in Galway, Connacht's closing game in the pool stages will be academic anyway

Honestly can't see Connacht winning in Montpellier even though the French side have only pride to play for. Hope I'm wrong but if Connacht can't win in Gloucester it's hard to see them winning in the south of France. Yes they played well for 60 minutes away to Toulouse but came away with nothing in the end. Chances of Connacht qualifying for KO stages are slim IMHO and if Toulouse produce anything like their performance away to Montpellier in Galway, Connacht's closing game in the pool stages will be academic anyway

I'm not impressed by Toulouse and even less by Montpellier
    Would have been much harder vs Exeter, Clermont, even LaRochelle on a good day.
    Don't get me wrong, won't be easy, but we can take 9 points. Except Leinster game, there wasn't any game we were far out of what's needed to win so far this season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over

Actually in the south of France we have a better chance than England. We haven't won in England for 10 years, we have a 61% win record, IIRC, when playing French teams. Usually win our French away games in Challenge Cup.

Still don't think we'll get out but I'd rather Montpellier away than an English side away with our record.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Jack passed out by Ross Byrne and Billy Burns for the first Ireland meet up.

Tough on him but probably not that much of a surprise. Been a difficult start to the season for him.

Jack passed out by Ross Byrne and Billy Burns for the first Ireland meet up.

Tough on him but probably not that much of a surprise. Been a difficult start to the season for him.

don't worry C.Fitzgerald will pass them before 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    I don't get the hype with C.Fitz.

Can't believe some would even have him ahead of international Carty because the latter had a bad day..:mad:

:p;)

:p;)

Absolutely no change of mind.
    Fitzgerald is 22, he's behind Carty
    He'll be 26 in 2023 and has good chance to be international if he progresses bit by bit the way he is

Mul, it's over
    Carty actually had quite a few big non typical moments in the game at the weekend, noticed on the highlights earlier. For one he smashed someone in a big clear out just before the winning try.

Carty actually had quite a few big non typical moments in the game at the weekend, noticed on the highlights earlier. For one he smashed someone in a big clear out just before the winning try.

Noticied it too, his involvement in this ruck was important

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm a big fan of Carty but he isn't a a quarter of where he was this time last year. It might take a few months to get back to that level but I'd be confident he'll bounce back.

Delighted for Blade, Roux and Dillane. The latter was a monster against Glaws and Blade/Roux have been excellent this season.

Hope it can be a huge boost for Heff too. He still has a ways to go to displace McCartney but he was brilliant on Saturday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement