Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    I honestly would have Heff ahead of McCartney any day. Lineout was so reliable saturday and his carrying was super. As regards Jack, hes been through enough ups and downs, he'll be back to his best before long, but he'll have some battle on his hands. Fitz far and away first choice for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Heff problem were his throws, less than Delahunt though. Now he seems to have fixed it and McCartney in his final season, 2020 may well be the year he become Connacht 1st choice and Ireland 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

connachta wrote: »
    I'm not impressed by Toulouse and even less by Montpellier
    Would have been much harder vs Exeter, Clermont, even LaRochelle on a good day.
    Don't get me wrong, won't be easy, but we can take 9 points. Except Leinster game, there wasn't any game we were far out of what's needed to win so far this season

Your assessment of Toulouse is certainly at odds with BOD. They are one of the form teams. Montpellier have been poor no doubt but if Connacht just sneaked past Gloucester at home beating Toulouse is going to be a big ask.

Your assessment of Toulouse is certainly at odds with BOD. They are one of the form teams. Montpellier have been poor no doubt but if Connacht just sneaked past Gloucester at home beating Toulouse is going to be a big ask.

We could have got them away. Montpellier could have got Saturday.
    They're not as impressive as Clermont Exeter or Racing. IMO

If they're 100% full-strenght, it won't be impossible. if they rotate a bit, it's a fair chance. Huge task but we shouldn't be that afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If Connacht can score early and get the crowd behind them Toulouse like all French sides are vulnerable. The home and away games versus Leinster last year were like chalk and cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bazzo wrote: »
    Carty actually had quite a few big non typical moments in the game at the weekend, noticed on the highlights earlier. For one he smashed someone in a big clear out just before the winning try.

Is there anywhere online that I can watch the highlights? I haven't had a chance to watch them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    Carty actually had quite a few big non typical moments in the game at the weekend, noticed on the highlights earlier. For one he smashed someone in a big clear out just before the winning try.

Massive moment and that through ball to Niyi was top notch in first half.

Just needs games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    b.gud wrote: »
    Is there anywhere online that I can watch the highlights? I haven't had a chance to watch them yet

No clue, sorry, I got them on BT player.
    its_phil wrote: »
    Massive moment and that through ball to Niyi was top notch in first half.

Just needs games

He also put in a big tackle to touch just before one of their tries that's a try saver 9 times in 10 only for the incredible offload the Gloucester player got away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,615 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    stephen_n wrote: »
    If Connacht can score early and get the crowd behind them Toulouse like all French sides are vulnerable. The home and away games versus Leinster last year were like chalk and cheese.

Leinster at the time reigning champions of europe are much different to Connacht with all due respect. Toulouse are now chasing a top 2 seeding

The other big game for Toulouse is at the same time so I think they will be fully engaged in this game as the final is down the road and staying in france for the knockouts is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Going to be a tough few games before we can even think about Tolouse or Monty. We would need all starters fit to have any chance against Tolouse. Yes they are beatable but not with 3rd and 4th choice players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Going to be a tough few games before we can even think about Tolouse or Monty. We would need all starters fit to have any chance against Tolouse. Yes they are beatable but not with 3rd and 4th choice players.

I assume we’ll target the Munster game and one of the away interpros. Munster are definitely our best chance of a win coming off two very tough games against Sarries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I assume we’ll target the Munster game and one of the away interpros. Munster are definitely our best chance of a win coming off two very tough games against Sarries.

Definitely, target a win this weekend and see us having more chance away to Ulster with their internationals rested than Leinster with their big names returning. We never win in the RDS anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    McAllister is in today's training photos togged out so hopefully means he's nearing a return!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

Some players due to return this weekend. As ever selection will be interesting. Incredible win last weekend. Was out of town for it but got to watch it on BT. What a finish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Along with Quinn Roux who will get his 100th cap, TOH and Stephen Fitzgerald back available for selection this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Along with Quinn Roux who will get his 100th cap, TOH and Stephen Fitzgerald back available for selection this week.

I am shocked that Quinn is only on 100 caps :eek:

Actualisation

Munster | Ulster | Leinster | Toulouse
    Buckley | Buckley | Buckley | McAllister
    Heff | McCartney | Delahunt | Heff
    Bealham | Kenny | McCoy | Bealham
    Roux | Macksymiw | Macksymiw | Roux
    Dillane | Murray | Dillane | Thornbury
    Boyle | McKeon | Masterson | Boyle
    Butler | E.Masterson | Fainga’a | Fainga’a
    McKeon | Copeland | Butler | Butler
    Blade | Kerrins | Marmion | Blade
    Carty | Fitzgerald | Fitzgerald | Carty
    Healy | Porsh | Healy | Healy
    Aki | Robb | Daly | Aki
    Daly | Godwin| Robb | Farrell
    Godwin | S.Fitz | S.Fitz | Porsh
    Porsch | TOH | TOH | TOH
    | | | |
    McCartney | Heff | McCartney | McCartney
    McCabe (or Adamson) | McCabe | McAllister | Buckley
    McCoy | Bealham | Bealham | McCoy
    Macksymiw | Roux | Thornbury | Dillane
    Copeland | Boyle | McKeon | Masterson
    Kerrins | Blade | Blade | Marmion
    C.Fitzgerald | Horwitz | Godwin | C.Fitzgerald
    Robb | Daly | Niyi/Leader | S.Fitz/Leader

Respects Aki and Carty forced rest and Fainga'a/McAllister/Thornbury/TOH not rushed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Don't see any reason not to have Robertson-McCoy starting 2 matches.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    He's really become such a solid option. I think his mind may have been focused when he picked up that idiotic ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Has progressed really well under Friend. Good scrummager and not a bad carrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Quietly having a great season. Was worried when we lost Carey but hes really stepped up in the scrum and is noticeably very fit

If Finlay somehow pushed himself back up the national pecking order I'd have no fear of him being our starting three during the 6Ns

freyners wrote: »
    Quietly having a great season. Was worried when we lost Carey but hes really stepped up in the scrum and is noticeably very fit

If Finlay somehow pushed himself back up the national pecking order I'd have no fear of him being our starting three during the 6Ns

Kenny seems to be a decent 3rd choice too.
    Rory Burke, I know he was (is?) injured, but doesn't seem to impress...

He+Horwitz+maybe Murphy+Llyod (Colm Reilly will push behind Kerrins) will be released IMO
    I really fear we lose Masterson to Scotland, and Copeland shoudn't be renewed at 33 (as worderful his try was this week-end), but there are many quality IQ back-rows in England

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Kenny seems to be a decent 3rd choice too.
    Rory Burke, I know he was (is?) injured, but doesn't seem to impress...

He+Horwitz+maybe Murphy+Llyod (Colm Reilly will push behind Kerrins) will be released IMO
    I really fear we lose Masterson to Scotland, and Copeland shoudn't be renewed at 33 (as worderful his try was this week-end), but there are many quality IQ back-rows in England

Disagree regarding Copeland. He's an experienced head to have there and the back row is very attritional. No harm in keeping him if he's healthy and performing well. You could be right about Lloyd and Horwitz. Not sure regarding Rory Burke and Murphy and I'd be hopeful Masterson will stay, especially with the brother in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Copeland only just turned 32 in October and has put in some big shifts in the CC this season. Surely worth another year anyway?

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Copeland only just turned 32 in October and has put in some big shifts in the CC this season. Surely worth another year anyway?

So 33 early next season and not very fit or regular you have to admit.

Leicester Tigers are about to be relagated if Sarries reach normal point standard, I'd like we go for Jordan Coghlan. Or Sean Dougall in France.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone

Leicester Tigers are about to be relagated if Sarries reach normal point standard, I'd like we go for Jordan Coghlan. Or Sean Dougall in France.

Ah lads, you really need to set your sights higher....

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    Would much rather hold on to copeland than go for Coughlin or Dougall. As someone said hes had some great moments in the CC this year and 33 isnt that old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over

Getting either of those two lads would be going backwards. As someone else says we need to be aiming higher. James Connolly is a better player than those lads.

Where's Josh Murphy these days? Injured? Haven't heard of him much for Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

A dozen of us or so are heading up to the game on Saturday and staying the night in the city??

No on site parking at the hostel so just wondering what are the best options for a 24 hour car park? Obviously last Saturday before Christmas doesn’t help things but any help is appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Ulster with very much a b team going to the RDS. Our game is clearly a target

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement