Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Dosen't matter all players that were at the world cup are getting two full weeks off regardless of minutes

I don't think this is true. Larkham already stated that whilst the majority of players who were at the RWC will get the 2 week break, things like injuries and minutes will be taken into account.

I'd expect Carty to feature again before the interpros are over.
    It really depends on the number of games they played in the World Cup as well and what their injury profile has been since, so it’s not necessarily ruling everyone out. But two consecutive weeks for the majority of those players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Buer wrote: »
    I don't think this is true. Larkham already stated that whilst the majority of players who were at the RWC will get the 2 week break, things like injuries and minutes will be taken into account.

I'd expect Carty to feature again before the interpros are over.

But Friend has said in our case Bundee and Jack are getting two full weeks off. He did say the situation could be different at Munster and Leinster but I'd agree if we pick up a few injuries there could well be a case for allowing them to consider Carty.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Mul, it's over
    This is probably Jack's first two weeks of since 2018. I'd imagine he's off to get some sun somewhere. Just hope he keeps away from the waterslides.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Another poor performance against an understrength Munster side. We've not been playing well lately at all. Poor enough against Gloucester. Blessed to win it at the death. So many basic errors in recent games. Kicks not going to touch, kicks getting blocked down, crooked throws, etc. Constantly putting pressure on ourselves.

Away to Ulster next who will put out their full strength side after resting so many against Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Four poor performances in a row, Kings, Gloucester x2 and tonight. Attack looks poor. Carty should have been on after 45 tonight. Worrying stuff. Hard to envisage getting much out of Ravenhill and RDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Four poor performances in a row, Kings, Gloucester x2 and tonight. Attack looks poor. Carty should have been on after 45 tonight. Worrying stuff. Hard to envisage getting much out of Ravenhill and RDS.

I think we needed a win tonight. After the leinster game I really expected a big performance tonight but unfortunately it wasn't to be

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Tomight proved Fitzgerald is nowhere near jacks level no matter how much some of ye want to push that narrative there’s a clear first choice and he’s From connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    Tomight proved Fitzgerald is nowhere near jacks level no matter how much some of ye want to push that narrative there’s a clear first choice and he’s From connacht

No ones pushing a narrative. Fitzgerald has been playing well and people felt he deserved a chance. We could have had Johnny Sexton or Owen Farrell at out half tonight and we wernt gonna win the game.

All Connacht players are Connacht players regardless of where they come from

As Friend said just far too many unforced errors in recent games. Conor Fitz messing up that kick into the corner led to Munsters first try. Another 3 points gifted from a botched restart. Kick to touch early on not made. Another kick to touch half blocked down. Can’t keep making basic errors and win games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Munster were clued into the out the back door pass and were up on the receiver instantly. A few more kicks over the top were warranted. I agree that Fitzgerald looked very average at 10 but he is going to have bad days just like Jack has had. It's his breakout season and has been excellent. Copeland needs a start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Munster were clued into the out the back door pass and were up on the receiver instantly. A few more kicks over the top were warranted. I agree that Fitzgerald looked very average at 10 but he is going to have bad days just like Jack has had. It's his breakout season and has been excellent. Copeland needs a start.

I was surprised that didn't happen more often, especially with the young Munster back 3 that were selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    Don't know if it's coming from the fact that Friend is a 7s coach, but Connacht are too lateral in attack. Players running sideways across the pitch and the absence of short runners coming back against the grain to hold the defence makes them easy to defend against. Defences like Munster's will lap that up all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Don't know if it's coming from the fact that Friend is a 7s coach, but Connacht are too lateral in attack. Players running sideways across the pitch and the absence of short runners coming back against the grain to hold the defence makes them easy to defend against. Defences like Munster's will lap that up all day.

Except it did and would have worked but Connacht's unforced errors cost them. Plenty of great opportunities created and blown. He was also a 15s super rugby coach before he was a 7s coach.
    FACECUTTR wrote: »

Don't think anyone is blaming Fitz for anything. Was madness not to have Carty starting this game though. May not be allowed start/play any more games now, this was the big opportunity for a win, conference rivals, a night for putting in smart kicks behind, it was a game built for Carty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Except it did and would have worked but Connacht's unforced errors cost them. Plenty of great opportunities created and blown. He was also a 15s super rugby coach before he was a 7s coach.

Are errors a symptom or a cause though? Errors are more likely if you're coming under pressure because the defence can read what you're doing. I'm not just talking about tonight. Connacht have been poor in attack most times I've watched them this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Connacht are well coached from what i see, it is the execution that lets them down. That is not the coaches fault. Players make these mistakes. The time when Godwin broke through, should have scored a try, ends up giving a penalty to them letting them clear.

I think that Friend is a great coach, to criticize after a loss like that is the wrong time.

Have your opinion by all means, but do you need to end it with “he’s from Connacht” quote? Young Conor Fitz is a good player, but please leave out the stupid tones of he is not from here. Our Captain is not from here, our only centrally contracted player is not from here then either. What a crazy comment

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

It's been a little disappointing the current run of form. It's hard to put a finger on what the issues are. I suppose it would help if basic errors were kept to a minimum. Not hitting touch with a penalty kick is unforgivable, not throwing a ball straight into a lineout etc. All these things just knock the team confidence and the game becomes that bit harder to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    It's been a little disappointing the current run of form. It's hard to put a finger on what the issues are. I suppose it would help if basic errors were kept to a minimum. Not hitting touch with a penalty kick is unforgivable, not throwing a ball straight into a lineout etc. All these things just knock the team confidence and the game becomes that bit harder to win

MUNSTER tactics were basically, kick the ball to Conn, then Conn will mess up, then kick 3 points,

our back line looks good, but basic basic errors are costing us in Defense and attack,

Munster were there for the taking, but we bet ourselves in the end,

Bad defeat last night. Very likely now that we lose all 3 interpros over the Christmas and New Year's. Away to Ulster next who rested all their big guns at Leinster so expect them to be fully loaded on Friday. Away to Leinster looks tough for everyone at the moment. No matter what side they select. At home against an understrength Munster side was one we had to win.

Mul, it's over
    Bad defeat last night. Very likely now that we lose all 3 interpros over the Christmas and New Year's. Away to Ulster next who rested all their big guns at Leinster so expect them to be fully loaded on Friday. Away to Leinster looks tough for everyone at the moment. No matter what side they select. At home against an understrength Munster side was one we had to win.

Agree with you but expect Ulster will still be without Henderson and Stockdale for RWC break. Regardless Ulster still strong favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

If Connacht are losing at home to understrength Munster how can they beat Toulouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Agree with you but expect Ulster will still be without Henderson and Stockdale for RWC break. Regardless Ulster still strong favourites.

Ulster may well be without Henderson, Stockdale, Murphy, Coetzee, Reidy, Cooney, McGrath, Moore, McCloskey, Marshall, Addison, Lyttle, Baloucoune and Burns due to a combination of rotation and injuries. I would also think that O'Sullivan and O'Connor snr are due a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Have your opinion by all means, but do you need to end it with “he’s from Connacht” quote? Young Conor Fitz is a good player, but please leave out the stupid tones of he is not from here. Our Captain is not from here, our only centrally contracted player is not from here then either. What a crazy comment

Yet you’ll be the very one driving the “grassroots to green shirts” marketing campaign, looses a bit of value when only 5/15 were produced through our system, of which two being predominantly developed at blackrock

Mul, it's over
    Yet you’ll be the very one driving the “grassroots to green shirts” marketing campaign, looses a bit of value when only 5/15 were produced through our system, of which two being predominantly developed at blackrock

9 who came through the academy and another five on the bench I think. Reality is that with Connachts population (Kildare, Meath and Dundalk have more people, Cork is as big on its own with a far more established rugby tradition, etc) producing home grown players is always going to be difficult. It’s improving though and with participation across the province picking up hopefully it will continue to.

I would have started Carty last night, would have had him on earlier as I posted last night and agree with you he’s the best ten Connacht by a fair margin despite Conor Fitzgerald’s promising start to season. But where someone is from can’t be a factor in team selection.

I would not be banging on about that at all. I actually see it differently, to come from grassroots does not even necessarily mean from Connacht, it means (for me anyway) developed at Connacht. Kieran Marmion is a good example, a Cardiff boy I believe who had Irish parents, came to our academy from the exiles, he is grassroots beginnings, Ultan Dilane, from Tralee but came through our system, came here on a trial, he is Connacht to me. Finlay Bealham, Oz born etc etc they are all Connacht men to me. I would never say they have to be born in Connacht to be grassroots to green shirts, I don’t care where you were born.

Having a campaign to encourage local boys and girls to play the game is a great thing, seeing success on the pitch and players coming through our systems to achieve international honors is what will encourage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I would not be banging on about that at all. I actually see it differently, to come from grassroots does not even necessarily mean from Connacht, it means (for me anyway) developed at Connacht. Kieran Marmion is a good example, a Cardiff boy I believe who had Irish parents, came to our academy from the exiles, he is grassroots beginnings, Ultan Dilane, from Tralee but came through our system, came here on a trial, he is Connacht to me. Finlay Bealham, Oz born etc etc they are all Connacht men to me. I would never say they have to be born in Connacht to be grassroots to green shirts, I don’t care where you were born.

Having a campaign to encourage local boys and girls to play the game is a great thing, seeing success on the pitch and players coming through our systems to achieve international honors is what will encourage them.

The stated aim of the program is "to increase the number of indigenous players coming through the provincial player pathway with the skill set and support system to achieve the highest accolades in world rugby."

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2013/02/28/connacht-launch-grassroots-to-green-shirts/

Mul, it's over
    Fainga’a and Butler out of Ulster clash. Carty and Aki too presumably. Coetzee,Burns, Addison back for Ulster. Not optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    (15-9): Tiernan O’Halloran, John Porch, Tom Daly, Peter Robb, Matt Healy, Conor Fitzgerald, Caolin Blade (Capt) (1-8): Paddy McAllister, Dave Heffernan, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Joe Maksymiw, Eoin McKeon, Paul Boyle, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Shane Delahunt, Denis Buckley, Dominic Robertson McCoy, Niall Murray, Eoghan Masterson, Stephen Kerins, Kyle Godwin, Stephen Fitzgerald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

testtech05 wrote: »
    (15-9): Tiernan O’Halloran, John Porch, Tom Daly, Peter Robb, Matt Healy, Conor Fitzgerald, Caolin Blade (Capt) (1-8): Paddy McAllister, Dave Heffernan, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Joe Maksymiw, Eoin McKeon, Paul Boyle, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Shane Delahunt, Denis Buckley, Dominic Robertson McCoy, Niall Murray, Eoghan Masterson, Stephen Kerins, Kyle Godwin, Stephen Fitzgerald.

Love back-line and front-row, we will be beaten 4 to 8

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement