Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

It can't really be both of these, can it?

I'm a bit suspicious of the viewpoint that a team can't play well with a lot of top players absent ever since that line was trotted out by some to excuse Leinster's performances in the League in Matt O'Connor's second season. The players available are still of a good standard, and it's up to the coach to mould them and do something with them.

What do you mean both of these? its the same point, the Connacht players had tired legs, they were knackered, it was evident.

How many of the Connacht starting team were involved v Munster on a 5 day turnaround? And how many of the Ulster team played the previous week v Leinster in the RDS? 2 of them maybe? Which meant that Their team had a 14 day rest after playing a below strength Quins. We had huge efforts v Gloucester and Munster at home the previous two weeks, what is hard to understand about that? That is not an excuse, that is a fact. Fair play to Ulster, they targeted a big home win, big crowd, Christmas gate etc but if they are honest, they threw the Leinster game to prepare for this one. The try bonus point they got in that game was a indeed a bonus, they went there expecting a hammering, shipping over 50 points. Connacht just do not have the luxury of squad depth to allow them to do the same.

TOH was poor, when he should have been itching for that game. If he thinks that he can play top level international rugby again, Addison was streets ahead. Connacht needed leaders and he was not putting his hand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Must have been TOH’s worst ever game for Connacht last night. It was almost comical watching him miss high ball after high ball. He was just shaking his head in frustration by early in the second half. In fairness to him he can’t be anywhere match sharp yet. He was out for quite a while.

If Connacht have any spare funds left over after Bundee getting a central contact they really need to target some ball carrying beef for the pack next Summer. Pack has looked a bit lightweight lately. When Roux is out it’s even more evident.

If Leicester go down Taufua might be out of contract. Great speed and power. Something that's lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

If Connacht have any spare funds left over after Bundee getting a central contact they really need to target some ball carrying beef for the pack next Summer. Pack has looked a bit lightweight lately. When Roux is out it’s even more evident.

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Conference position starting to look a bit dicey. Edinburgh likely to be nine clear after next weekend as they face kings at home. Munster away to Ulster, would expect them to get a bonus point which would leave them six ahead. Scarlets currently two ahead of Connacht face Cardiff away who are two points behind Connacht. Treviso, also two behind Connacht ,host Glasgow, would have Treviso as favourites for that.

So assuming Connacht get nothing in the RDS could well be in sixth position after next weekend. The positive outlook is that’s it’s very tight, there’s a break after next weekend until the middle of February which should hopefully allow injury list to ease. 60 points is usually the benchmark for top three. Will need 35 points from the last eleven games. Cardiff (h), Edinburgh (a) Kings (a) are the three games during six nations, three wins and 13 points would leave Connacht in a strong position.

Mul, it's over
    For what it's worth I was a bit sceptical about Friend when he was first brought on board but was won over quickly enough by his honesty and candour throughout the season - in particular when discussing disappointing results. He's a nuts and bolts coach and the issue right now seems more a lack of bolts than a deficiency of nuts.

The IRFU should be doing everything possible to mitigate the injury crises. Connacht are away next weekend to maybe the best squad in Europe and then it's utterly critical fixtures with Edinburgh away, Kings away and Scarlets at home. It's a terrible fixture window and the Ulster result was a huge red flag.

Edinburgh and Scarlets are conference opposition for Connacht and right now the province is taking on water. I don't want to see Leinster's reserves depleted but there are a few forwards there who could shunt west until the end of the season and outside of that the IRFU should be investing primarily in ensuring that Connacht stay in contention for Champions cup qualification.

If the malaise persists then I'd question the coaching setup but I'm hoping that won't be an issue. Lam changed the conversation in relation to Connacht by building on a body of work and development done before he arrived at the province. Building and financing the next stage of development should be core to the IRFU's plans if they want to fully realise the benefit of 4 competitive and successful provinces.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    I’m not overly concerned personally. Few additions would definitely be welcome but would be confident of Connacht beating Cardiff at home and Kings away regardless. Edinburgh will be seriously hit by six nations so would think that game will be 50:50 at worst as think Aki will be only Connacht player missing due to six nations. Thornbury, Roux, Fainga’a, Butler, Farrell, etc all due back well before the next round of pro14 after Leinster game will make huge difference.

Different story obviously were injury crisis to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    What do you mean both of these? its the same point, the Connacht players had tired legs, they were knackered, it was evident.

How many of the Connacht starting team were involved v Munster on a 5 day turnaround? And how many of the Ulster team played the previous week v Leinster in the RDS? 2 of them maybe? Which meant that Their team had a 14 day rest after playing a below strength Quins. We had huge efforts v Gloucester and Munster at home the previous two weeks, what is hard to understand about that? That is not an excuse, that is a fact. Fair play to Ulster, they targeted a big home win, big crowd, Christmas gate etc but if they are honest, they threw the Leinster game to prepare for this one. The try bonus point they got in that game was a indeed a bonus, they went there expecting a hammering, shipping over 50 points. Connacht just do not have the luxury of squad depth to allow them to do the same.

TOH was poor, when he should have been itching for that game. If he thinks that he can play top level international rugby again, Addison was streets ahead. Connacht needed leaders and he was not putting his hand up.

I think this is fair comment. Also losing at home to Munster was probably deflating to Connacht and as pointed out faced an almost but not quite fully loaded Ulster (no Henderson/Stockdale). Point re strength in depth is on the money as they say. Question is - how do Connacht counter this in future?
    I am also of the view that Pro 14 should adopt the Top 14 points system so that a team cannot get a LBP simply by scoring 4 or more tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Couldn't tell you for certain but I'd say at the moment Friend probably has one of the best win percentages of any Connacht coach? Top 6 last year and 5/9 in the league this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    BrokenMan wrote: »

Any word of McBurney? Thought he deserved to be reviewed too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

testtech05 wrote: »

Agreed from an Ulsterman. Uncalled for and looked dirty enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

testtech05 wrote: »

Was dirty but I'm not surprised. Citing officer may have looked at it and determined that it wasn't worthy of a red card which is the basis of a citing. The match day officials should be taken to task over it though. Had to be a yellow at least, for me.

Given McAllister made contact with the head area, it automatically falls into red card territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bealham, McAllister and Robb all ruled out due to HIA protocols apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

McAllister looked in rough enough shape coming off for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think this is fair comment. Also losing at home to Munster was probably deflating to Connacht and as pointed out faced an almost but not quite fully loaded Ulster (no Henderson/Stockdale). Point re strength in depth is on the money as they say. Question is - how do Connacht counter this in future?
    I am also of the view that Pro 14 should adopt the Top 14 points system so that a team cannot get a LBP simply by scoring 4 or more tries.

Losing to a very understrength Munster side at home was the killer. That was one Connacht surely targeted to win. Ulster and Leinster away was always going to be difficult. Ulster had targeted the Connacht game by playing their reserves against Leinster. And Leinster just look unstoppable at the moment no matter what side they put out. They have great depth across the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

It can't really be both of these, can it?

I'm a bit suspicious of the viewpoint that a team can't play well with a lot of top players absent ever since that line was trotted out by some to excuse Leinster's performances in the League in Matt O'Connor's second season. The players available are still of a good standard, and it's up to the coach to mould them and do something with them.

Honestly we are not Leinster or Munster who have the same quality sitting behind our first players... We have marque players, not all of them are to that standard...
    Our Pack is short a ball carrying and size...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Connacht missed Quinn Roux badly against Ulster and they were second best at the breakdown too. Is Kieran Marmion still injured? Caolin Blade has been excellent but he's having to play too many games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Connacht missed Quinn Roux badly against Ulster and they were second best at the breakdown too. Is Kieran Marmion still injured? Caolin Blade has been excellent but he's having to play too many games.

Yes still out. We are badly hampered with injuries this season. Doesn't help having a small squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yes still out. We are badly hampered with injuries this season. Doesn't help having a small squad.

What is the injury list at this stage? As someone who isnt following Connacht as closely as you guys I'm honestly finding it hard to keep track of who is in or out at this stage. It's been an unbelievable run of injuries so far. I dont think any squad could handle it, even Leinster. It's not just about the numbers on any given day, it's the lack of cohesion as guys come in and out so much too.

Mul, it's over
    molloyjh wrote: »
    What is the injury list at this stage? As someone who isnt following Connacht as closely as you guys I'm honestly finding it hard to keep track of who is in or out at this stage. It's been an unbelievable run of injuries so far. I dont think any squad could handle it, even Leinster. It's not just about the numbers on any given day, it's the lack of cohesion as guys come in and out so much too.

McAllister, Bealham, Roux, Thornbury, Gallagher, O'Brien, Butler, Fainga'a, Marmion, Healy, Adeolokun, Robb, Farrell, Leader... Could be missing a couple?

And then Aki and Carty mandatory rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Bazzo wrote: »
    McAllister, Bealham, Roux, Thornbury, Gallagher, O'Brien, Butler, Fainga'a, Marmion, Healy, Adeolokun, Robb, Farrell, Leader... Could be missing a couple?

And then Aki and Carty mandatory rest.

I think McKeon failed HIA too. One of the Burke props is out too, Matthew I think. Or both of them?

Anyway, McAllister got off with the citing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    molloyjh wrote: »
    As someone who isnt following Connacht as closely as you guys I'm honestly finding it hard to keep track of who is in or out at this stage.

We are too to be honest. It's horrific. 24 players training this week...

Mul, it's over
    macslash wrote: »
    I think McKeon failed HIA too. One of the Burke props is out too, Matthew I think. Or both of them?

Anyway, McAllister got off with the citing!

As in he's had the hearing and won't be suspended?

Mul, it's over

Yeah it was ruled accidental, no ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

its_phil wrote: »
    We are too to be honest. It's horrific. 24 players training this week...

Match day squad plus the luxury of a cover player. No bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone

Ya hearing was this morning and he was cleared

Chiristmas gift for us and Paddy!

Hope he's ok with HIA

On this list only Gallagher, O'Brien and in a lesser extent Farrell (1 or 2 weeks) are definitely out

Roux, Thornbury, Butler, Fainga'a, Marmion, Healy, Adeolokun , Leader, are all supposed to be back very soon; some good news this Satarday...?

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    Chiristmas gift for us and Paddy!

Hope he's ok with HIA

On this list only Gallagher, O'Brien and in a lesser extent Farrell (1 or 2 weeks) are definitely out

Roux, Thornbury, Butler, Fainga'a, Marmion, Healy, Adeolokun , Leader, are all supposed to be back very soon; some good news this Satarday...?

Doubt it. According to Kyle Godwin in media there’s only 24 training. Can’t see anyone not training yet being back Saturday unless there’s no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Do the academy players not train with the senior team? I think in Leinster they train with the sub academy for first year then with the seniors after that.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Doubt it. According to Kyle Godwin in media there’s only 24 training. Can’t see anyone not training yet being back Saturday unless there’s no other option.

Matt Healy was due in Ulster, maybe felt a bit short and good for this? Would be massive improvement from Godwin (overplayed) and Horwitz on the bench

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement