Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    Goddard only 20 wouldn’t be good enough to play regular senior rugby more of a project player but no need for him with two good 10s in the academy already and Cathal Forde pushing for Irish 20s as a u19

Maybe not assuming this happens and he ends up staying but it’s one player and nobody knows who pushed for it eg wouldn’t be shocked if nucifora had been involved, seems unlikely Friend would be academy scouting mid season. Would have thought he would be busy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    Goddard only 20 wouldn’t be good enough to play regular senior rugby more of a project player but no need for him with two good 10s in the academy already and Cathal Forde pushing for Irish 20s as a u19

Dean likely to be third choice senior 10 next season, with horwitz going out. Not sure if L. Carty will make it as a 10, would like to see him at 12,15 a bit more tbh. That’d leave space for Both Forde and Goddard in the academy next season

Mul, it's over
    Niall Murray makes first start partnering Gavin Thornbury. Ultan Dillane getting a rest. Sean Masterson on bench. TOH dropped.

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1213067074777563136?s=21

Hopefully see a better performance than last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Obviously a very tough task but that's a decent team all things considered with the amount of lads missing. Hopefully as said above we can see a better performance and make something of a game of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Niall Murray makes first start partnering Gavin Thornbury. Ultan Dillane getting a rest. Sean Masterson on bench. TOH dropped.

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1213067074777563136?s=21

Hopefully see a better performance than last week.

Don’t understand why Maksymiw on the bench ahead of Murray. I also think that TOH should get a chance to play his way into form. Does his experience count for nothing? Same complaint I would have had when Fitz was getting picked over Carty. Sure, talented young players should get a shot but experience is not irrelevant.
    Injuries aside, I have found the selection this year to be not quite right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

That's a great team... To play Champions Cup!

Bealham, McAllister, Heffernan, Dillane, McKeon, Fainga'a, Butler, Carty, Aki, TOH, Healy maybe Farrell, Robb and Marmion
    All willn be thrown fresh vs either Toulouse and/or Montpellier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    That's a great team... To play Champions Cup!

Bealham, McAllister, Heffernan, Dillane, McKeon, Fainga'a, Butler, Carty, Aki, TOH, Healy maybe Farrell, Robb and Marmion
    All willn be thrown fresh vs either Toulouse and/or Montpellier

To be fair at this point Pro 14 is more important. No point chasing a slim chance at a QF if it's gonna lead to us missing out on the playoffs and potentially getting back in to the Champions Cup

KBurke85 wrote: »
    To be fair at this point Pro 14 is more important. No point chasing a slim chance at a QF if it's gonna lead to us missing out on the playoffs and potentially getting back in to the Champions Cup

Maybe, maybe not, the point is those guys are rested now and will in all likelihood be played in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Maybe, maybe not, the point is those guys are rested now and will in all likelihood be played in Europe

If we are being realistic, I doubt we would be targeting an away win v Leinster (especially with Leinster in current form) - probably the most difficult fixture of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

You've got a Friend in me
    At least Ulster did us a favour tonight..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

BeardySi wrote: »
    At least Ulster did us a favour tonight..

How did we manage to lose to an even weaker Munster team before Christmas?

Shows where our own form line is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

It has all the hall marks of just giving it a lash with nothing to lose in the RDS......just give it a go

FFS Guys we're deplated we don't care about Munster we won't catch them.

The massive favour came from Scarlets in Cardiff.
    We have to hang onto the 4th place, and score a maximum of points to have the European play-off home vs 5th of the other pool, as Cheetahs don't count .
    4th european club in Conference A is Dragons, we're 11 points clear.

Too close to call but IMO the odds are

25% being dropped as 5th and out because of Cardiff/Treviso (That's why I thank Scarlets tonight, helped to reduce one threat)
    25% being upgraded 3rd above Edinburgh and play Pro14 QF again, but I wouldn't count on that
    1% being 4th with an away play off (hugely unlikely IMO to have at the same time less points than Dragons and more than both Cardiff and Treviso)
    49% being 4th and way beyond Newport, so playing a massive European play-off in May at the Sportsground (With a full squad, SOB and so, please)

Mul, it's over
    Everyone in the conference is catchable and will be even assuming zero points tomorrow. Most players due back next month or so, well capable of going on a very good run. Only game on the run in I would say Connacht are significant underdogs in is Thomond away.

Treviso, Cardiff, Edinburgh away tough but all winnable. Edinburgh very beatable as severely hit by six nations.

Would expect wins from from Cardiff (h) Kings (a) Scarlets (h) Zebre (a) Glasgow (h) Ulster (h) Edinburgh (h). Those wins on their own with a few bonus points thrown in would have Connacht in contention for top three.

That's 7 wins, 28 points. I've made my own count for our main threat, we need 30 to pass Trevio IMO. With 4 or 5 BP it's indeed acheivable. But we have absolutely no right for error after tomorrow

I'd be very optimistic for Champions Cup if we're 4th and have the home play-off vs Dragons.
    It's all matters in my point of view, Champions Cup again, to grow ad grow

Mul, it's over
    57 points was enough for top three in one conference last year. Munster are favourites for top but it’s all to play for really, Edinburgh away is a huge game. A win for them would probably put them out of reach but they will likely lose ten odd to six nations.

Connacht should be capable of winning missing only Aki and don’t think he’s nailed on currently. Win over in Murrayfield and they should win the two games either side of it, be right in the mix.

57 points was enough for top three in one conference last year. Munster are favourites for top but it’s all to play for really, Edinburgh away is a huge game. A win for them would probably put them out of reach but they will likely lose ten odd to six nations.

Connacht should be capable of winning missing only Aki and don’t think he’s nailed on currently. Win over in Murrayfield and they should win the two games either side of it, be right in the mix.

Let's be honnest, we don't look like in a good shape for that huge away win. Without Aki, Roux, SOB, maybe Bealham/Herffernan, without perfect cohesion too

Main focus on ChampionsCup is still acheivable without this win, which matters more IMO :)

Mul, it's over
    Let's be honnest, we don't look like in a good shape for that huge away win. Without Aki, Roux, SOB, maybe Bealham/Herffernan, without perfect cohesion too

Main focus on ChampionsCup is still acheivable without this win, which matters more IMO :)

Edinburgh will be down well over ten players between six nations and injuries. Sure Connacht will be missing a few but hopefully nothing like what Edinburgh are down. They lost to a Cardiff team without their significant welsh contingent in Murrayfield during the six nations last season.

It’s a game Connacht should win.

Mul, it's over
    Zero points for treviso as they lose at home to Glasgow. Connacht stay in fourth regardless of result in Dublin.

Massive massive boost, Trevisoo fell against the odds without any kind of BP

Wow. We've kind of a joker now, 7 wins you quoted will do it, 6 may well too!

• Advertisement

Zero points for treviso as they lose at home to Glasgow. Connacht stay in fourth regardless of result in Dublin.

Same time! we're the same fans relishing from others defeated :D

This could be a nasty one.

Jesus the ridiculous errors continue after only a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Just in from work, thinking I'll give this one a miss and relax with a couple beers instead.

Two humiliating interpros in a row can't be good for morale in camp, need some very big results now.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Just in from work, thinking I'll give this one a miss and relax with a couple beers instead.

Two humiliating interpros in a row can't be good for morale in camp, need some very big results now.

Has to be Connacht’s worst interpros series in a long long time.

Just have to hope some injuries clear up and we can win some games when other sides are depleted during the 6 Nations. Confidence must be in the toilet.

Some Like It TOH
    Pete Wilkins must be getting some questions after the last few games. Lot of very poor defense leading to trys. We don't seem to know what defensive system we are using at times.

I know it's a skeleton team but I was hoping for a bit of aggression at the very least. Most of the tackles are very passive.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    Sat this one out. Couldn't face it, watching NFL 100 years team instead, and I live in Dublin

Some Like It TOH
    Sat this one out. Couldn't face it, watching NFL 100 years team instead, and I live in Dublin

I think you made the right decision. It's very much like that Milhouse scene from the Simpsons....
    We are well and truly "already dead"

Lost (as expected) our dignity. Lost both Fitzgeralds. Please tell me Porch is clean, I didn't see him coming back in the end of the game
    Normal substitution, wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I hope that Conor Fitzgerald injury is not as bad as it looked. Hate seeing them down like that and medics on the pitch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement