Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    were in a pretty bad sitation that could get worse.....

We need a few CORE folks to drive it on for Connacht, We are missing an elwood, muldoon etc. at the moment, Tiernan or the likes should be the leader now, but form etc.

If Colby was to go, Id be dissappointed, but he is a gentleman and I wouldnt hold it aginst him. rem Ray ofisa!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    FFS
    About Fainga'a of course I'd be disappointed as every others, but there are sooo many talents in Leinster there I think we can snap one of them.
    BTW Boyle was very good again yesterday

If faingaa does go the irfu should move heaven and earth to get one of Connors or penny to Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »
    If faingaa does go the irfu should move heaven and earth to get one of Connors or penny to Connacht.

One of them will accept on his own IMO. They need more than 5/6 games a year to knock on the national team door. Boyle is better and better, another may want to follow his path

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

gally74 wrote: »
    goodwin seems to have played so many games, has to be affecting his performance at this stadge,

I think he 30 min shy of a 1000 min this season already... I think Max Deegan is highest in Leinster with 745... (Not counting RWC Warmup games)...

Connaght have a number of player 800+ (Blade, Fitzgearld, Boyle, Godwin...), only rest is suspension or injury...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    The injury profile is nuts! It's amazing. But, is the s&c coaching up to standard? The amount of injuries is awful but I wonder why it's spreading like the pox.
    However, Murray getting minutes will be good for him in the long run. Maksimyiw has been very good and has pushed on.
    A run of matches for McKeon, Thornbury and Butler will see them being competitive. Thornbury is one that had awful luck with injury. His 1st season with Leinster he did his clavicle and was not resigned.
    Fainga'a will most likely leave. He could make a lot of money in France. I would, if I were him. It's a short career and maximizing his salary should be his focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Dubinusa wrote: »
    But, is the s&c coaching up to standard? The amount of injuries is awful but I wonder why it's spreading like the pox.

I've said it before but last season Connacht had the least injuries in the provinces and probably in the league and Europe with the exact same S&C team. Definitely a lot of bad luck involved, plus if you're having to overplay lads or rush them back because you can barely field a full 23 it will compound things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    I wonder why Connacht didn't sign Watters for the academy? Leinster passed on him! He looks a very good prospect!

The Friend Zone
    I wonder why Connacht didn't sign Watters for the academy? Leinster passed on him! He looks a very good prospect!
    Has he not still been involved with Leinster? Thought he played some a games

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    Bollox

Not sure. 'Advanced talks"

I'd go for Connors/Penny asap

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Says they're in advanced talks with him. Which could be true, or could be his agent pulling strings.

Says they're in advanced talks with him. Which could be true, or could be his agent pulling strings.

Yes, as said above.
    There's plenty of talents from Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

there's no way Leinster are giving us any of their players academy and sub-academy, they were bitter on the way it was handled in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yes, as said above.
    There's plenty of talents from Leinster

You won't get Penny unless the IRFU steps in and Leinster are willing to give him up, he only signed his senior deal last year so is under contract. Connors possibly but I'd say with the amount of game time he got this year he won't be too keen to jump ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Fainga’a would be a massive loss, one of Connachts best players in every game he plays. Was thinking when no renewal announced (as with Godwin) it wasn’t looking great.

If financial offer from France outweighs Connacht fair enough but hope Connacht have been allowed to make an offer, would be very shortsighted by IRFU to insist on him being moved on, he is the type of player that can make a difference between Connacht making playoffs and Europe regularly rather than now and again which benefits all Irish players in Connacht squad even if he is denying IQ player a spot.

Anyone heard the latest on Sportsground? Don’t think Govt funding from that scheme or whatever it’s called has been announced yet, hopefully that’s all that is holding it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Fainga’a would be a massive loss, one of Connachts best players in every game he plays. Was thinking when no renewal announced (as with Godwin) it wasn’t looking great.

If financial offer from France outweighs Connacht fair enough but hope Connacht have been allowed to make an offer, would be very shortsighted by IRFU to insist on him being moved on, he is the type of player that can make a difference between Connacht making playoffs and Europe regularly rather than now and again which benefits all Irish players in Connacht squad even if he is denying IQ player a spot.

Anyone heard the latest on Sportsground? Don’t think Govt funding from that scheme or whatever it’s called has been announced yet, hopefully that’s all that is holding it up.

I really think that's agent posturing if I'm wrong I'd be gutted

Yeah waiting on that 20 million from the government, planning permission is secured so just money holding it up

Yeah waiting on that 20 million from the government, planning permission is secured so just money holding it up

He's too good for being unoticed;
    As said in the article Lyon needs back-rows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

He’s one of the best players in the league he’s going to have plenty of offers. It’s just a matter of whether he’ll stay here on lower wages and whether the IRFU will let us offer him a deal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Bealham, Fainga’a, Butler, Carty, Aki, Robb, Healy all due back this week apparently.

• Advertisement

Bealham, Fainga’a, Butler, Carty, Aki, Robb, Healy all due back this week apparently.

:D:D:D
    Poor Toulouse and Montpellier

Now that's a team to win!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Excellent news.
    Just realised Tolouse have a 6 day turnaround. I know this wont affect them as much as us with their squad size but with the travel it could upset them a bit. Dare to dream

1) McAllister (Buck needs rest, and Paddy is a good choice vs heavy pack)
    2) Heff (rested)
    3) Bealham (forced but rested)
    4) Dillane (rested)
    5) Thornbury (had his warn-up so 100% fit!)
    6) E.Masterson (rested)
    7) Fainga'a (fully rested)
    8) Butler (fully rested Captain)
    9) Blade (has a point to make)
    10) Carty (-too much- rested)
    11) Healy (fully rested)
    12) Robb (forced but rested)
    13) Aki (rested -sadly was not risked for the 1st leg)
    14 Niyi (had his warn-up so 100% fit!)
    15) TOH (had his warn-up so 100% fit!)

16) McCartney (for his experience and throws)
    17) Buckley (of course)
    18) McCoy (of course)
    19) Mackymiw (last senior standing)
    20) Boyle (exhausted but so good)
    21) Kerrins (has stepped-up at the right time!)
    22) Horwitz/Daly
    23) Porch/Godwin/Daly/McKeon or Copeland (playing 6/2 as Toulouse are likely to do)

The Friend Zone
    1) McAllister (Buck needs rest, and Paddy is a good choice vs heavy pack)
    2) Heff (rested)
    3) Bealham (forced but rested)
    4) Dillane (rested)
    5) Thornbury (had his warn-up so 100% fit!)
    6) E.Masterson (rested)
    7) Fainga'a (fully rested)
    8) Butler (fully rested Captain)
    9) Blade (has a point to make)
    10) Carty (-too much- rested)
    11) Healy (fully rested)
    12) Robb (forced but rested)
    13) Aki (rested -sadly was not risked for the 1st leg)
    14 Niyi (had his warn-up so 100% fit!)
    15) TOH (had his warn-up so 100% fit!)

16) McCartney (for his experience and throws)
    17) Buckley (of course)
    18) McCoy (of course)
    19) Mackymiw (last senior standing)
    20) Boyle (exhausted but so good)
    21) Kerrins (has stepped-up at the right time!)
    22) Horwitz/Daly
    23) Porch/Daly/McKeon or Copeland (playing 6/2 as Toulouse are likely to do)

I'd start McCartney and keriens.

BTW Godwin is tired, but he could still be the most valuable versatile option on the bench

If Porch is off, I can see 22 Daly 23 Kyle (covering 10 and wing)

The Friend Zone
    gally74 wrote: »
    I'd start McCartney and keriens.
    I’d agree with both, particularly kerins. Blade looks like a guy who needs a few weeks off

Blade is useful close to the rucks against a big pack
    Heff has been brillant as soon as he played!

The Friend Zone
    Blade is useful close to the rucks against a big pack
    Heff has been brillant as soon as he played!

I think blade is being extremely overplayed. The man needs a break. He’d be nowhere near the Irish squad on current form purely down to being so fatigued. He’s making the wrong decisions and isn’t really leading. We need matmion back ASAP to take the pressure off blade. A common theme of the last few weeks was the team look better when kerins has come on for blade. Again not saying he’s gone to ****e, he just needs a break.

I’d agree with Heffernan being really good any time he’s played, just feel every time McCartney has played this season, there has been better leadership and direction in the pack. Getting the likes of butler, faingaa and roux back might help this too but I feel any sort of a win is needed this weekend

The Friend Zone
    I think blade is being extremely overplayed. The man needs a break. He’d be nowhere near the Irish squad on current form purely down to being so fatigued. He’s making the wrong decisions and isn’t really leading. We need matmion back ASAP to take the pressure off blade. A common theme of the last few weeks was the team look better when kerins has come on for blade. Again not saying he’s gone to ****e, he just needs a break.

I’d agree with Heffernan being really good any time he’s played, just feel every time McCartney has played this season, there has been better leadership and direction in the pack. Getting the likes of butler, faingaa and roux back might help this too but I feel any sort of a win is needed this weekend

Agreeded, where is marmion. Long enough out now,

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    A lot of players pictured back in training including marmion, butler, Healy Robb, carty and Bundee

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement