Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

Wegians89 wrote: »
    A lot of players picked back in training including marmion, butler, Healy Robb, carty and Bundee

how long is Farrell out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

typhoony wrote: »
    how long is Farrell out for?

6 weeks after Toulouse, so back for Montpellier or the week after, in theory

[HTML][/HTML]
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    A lot of players pictured back in training including marmion, butler, Healy Robb, carty and Bundee

Would you be in favour of putting Marmion straight in?
    Real question. I'd say Yes I'd take the risk as Blade is tired and Kerrins unproven at this huuuge level

John Porsh looks ok, too. (and Kenny in case of considering Bealham still concussed)
    We're going from bare bone to headache selections!
    Porchy needs a rest though, I'd have him on the bench

Godwin 22 Porch 23, no Daly/Horwitz, would be my choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

Would you be in favour of putting Marmion straight in?
    Real question. I'd say Yes I'd take the risk as Blade is tired and Kerrins unproven at this huuuge level

Yes, straight in maybe Karina to bench. I'm not negative on blade, he just needs a few downs weeks etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    6 weeks after Toulouse, so back for Montpellier or the week after, in theory

Also nine players back for this week

https://www.the42.ie/connacht-toulouse-4956301-Jan2020/

Full updated injury list

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-boosted-by-host-of-returning-players-ahead-of-champions-cup-clash-with-toulouse/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

For the first time in a good while Connacht have released an actual injury updae, though no specifics on injury time frames for the majority
    https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-boosted-by-host-of-returning-players-ahead-of-champions-cup-clash-with-toulouse/
    Connacht have been boosted by the return of a host of players ahead of the Champions Cup clash with Toulouse on Saturday (Kick off 3:15pm). Bundee Aki and Jack Carty are available for selection following a two week rest period, as is Ultan Dillane who was rested last week.

Finlay Bealham has returned to full training and is available for selection after completing his return to play protocols. He was involved in a collision in the game against Ulster.

In addition, Rory Burke (neck), Jarrad Butler (illness), Colby Fainga’a (knee), Matt Healy (thigh) and Peter Robb (head) are all reintegrating into training this week following their respective injuries.

The news is also very positive on Conor Fitzgerald following a scan on his ankle. He will return to full training next week. Peter McCabe (ankle) and Tom Farrell (shoulder) are progressing well with their injuries and they will also look to return to training next week.

Conor Kenny (head) sustained a head injury in the Leinster game and will follow graduated return to play protocols. Stephen Fitzgerald sustained a knee injury in the same game and is awaiting scan results to determine the extent of his injuries.

Meanwhile, Matthew Burke (thigh), Cillian Gallagher (shoulder), Darragh Leader (calf), Sean O’Brien (shoulder) and Quinn Roux (hand) remain on the medium to long term injured list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    No word in Marmion at all

He is in training pics though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

No word in Marmion at all

He is in training pics though

Possibly just integrating this week. Maybe he will be ready for Montpellier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Possibly just integrating this week. Maybe he will be ready for Montpellier.

Maybe but they've highlighted McCabe and Farrell for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Darragh Leader must have had a bad injury or suffered a recurrence of it when he was nearly back, don’t think he has played since October.

Would guess Marmion is just left off in error and is due back this week or next. Roux should be back for next round of pro14 games, in the unlikely event Connacht avoid any injuries in the two European games, will have a very strong squad ready to go for them.

Great news about C.Fitz!! was not expecting this!
    deserves a break anyway

Maybe but they've highlighted McCabe and Farrell for that

Hopefully as mentioned above it could just possibly be an oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Fainga'a is moving to Lyon according to Murray Kinsella. Connacht were negotiating with his agent but Lyon came in with an offer of €300,000 per season and they couldn't compete. Kinsella also says that Connacht are keen to sign an overseas player as a replacement.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1214664240033873920?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Colby off to Lyon at the end of the season by the looks of it according to Murray Kinsella. Big loss.

Mul, it's over
    F**k. Be a hard player to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    ****... Will be very hard to replace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Clegg wrote: »
    Fainga'a is moving to Lyon according to Murray Kinsella. Connacht were negotiating with his agent but Lyon came in with an offer of €300,000 per season and they couldn't compete. Kinsella also says that Connacht are keen to sign an overseas player as a replacement.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1214664240033873920?s=19

Fair ****s to him if that's what he is getting.
    He deserves it more than some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That's mental money if true, but fair play to him for taking the opportunity after moving away. Well deserved off the back of his performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Fair play to him, one of my favourite players in recent memory. Would like to see us sign a monster of an 8 and move Butler back to 7. Could look at Conor Oliver for backup perhaps.

• Advertisement

You couldnt expect a man who has travelled across the world to be not to move on again.

If he's being offered less, why would he want to stay in the wet west of Ireland where hes only been for a few years.
    It's a no brainer really. The only thing we have to offer over France is that you wouldn't have to take up a new language.

He probably has been the best signing since Bundee. Fantastic player and if its true best of luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A class player. Gutted to be losing him. Could be losing Godwin back to SH too sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    With Godwin possibly and Colby most likely leaving, along with Horwitz almost certainly going, there could be a whole host of new imports next season. Add in that JB will be Irish qualified soon aswel. Who else is NIQ in the squad? Just Porch?

Mul, it's over
    That's mental money if true, but fair play to him for taking the opportunity after moving away. Well deserved off the back of his performances.

Is it? Would have thought it fairly standard for
    French clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    macslash wrote: »
    With Godwin possibly and Colby most likely leaving, along with Horwitz almost certainly going, there could be a whole host of new imports next season. Add in that JB will be Irish qualified soon aswel. Who else is NIQ in the squad? Just Porch?

Porch will be our only NIQ carrying over next year as it stands I’d say. Butler becomes IQ then.

I haven’t heard anything but I can’t see Godwin, Horwitz or Copeland staying which should free up some cash but renewals are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Be sad to see Colby leave really adds something to our pack when he plays and seems like a good guy too!

Hard to begrudge him leaving though if the money being touted is accurate, I saw an article claiming around 300k is the average wage in the top14 but there is no way we would be able to compete with that!!

Best of luck to him and hopefully he can stay fit for the rest of the season for us now and put in some big performances.

As said, Colby is kind of a favorite player for most Connacht fans, starting with me. Though, we have to keep cool head

1) Penny, whatever greedy Leinster fans say, will be better off in Connacht playing 1000 minutes a season than in Leinster playing 400. Plenty of IQ 7 to target

2) Colby, as good as he is, is a fast but light back-row. It releases the spot for 1 if not 2 BIG good ball-carriying NIQ accros 4 to 8. Blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

As said, Colby is kind of a favorite player for most Connacht fans, starting with me. Though, we have to keep cool head

1) Penny, whatever greedy Leinster fans say, will be better off in Connacht playing 1000 minutes a season than in Leinster playing 400. Plenty of IQ 7 to target

2) Colby, as good as he is, is a fast but light back-row. It releases the spot for 1 if not 2 BIG good ball-carriying NIQ accros 4 to 8. Blessing in disguise.

Just on Penny that’s not necessarily true, he’s very young and could well be better off staying where he won’t be played too much and staying with the best coaches and environment in the country. If he has long term goals of winning trophies and playing for Ireland then Leinster may well be the better option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Fair play to him, one of my favourite players in recent memory. Would like to see us sign a monster of an 8 and move Butler back to 7. Could look at Conor Oliver for backup perhaps.

Conor Oliver would be a great bit of business....hes always impressed when I've seen him

Could also look at Watters for Leinster.....very good player

Connacht wont be given Penny, Leinster have plenty of more fringe backrows that could be very good, Munster already spotted that by scooping up Oliver, and Ulster scooping up Timoney and Watters in my opinion could be better than either of them..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement