Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

slingerz wrote: »
    i see this pedalled a lot but i dont agree with it. They can get jobs like everyone else once finished playing rugby. its good money for a job full stop in my opinion

Yes but the chances of earning hundreds of thousands per year after rugby are probably quite slim for most players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Realistically could be looking at godwin, faingaa, Horwitz and Copeland leaving in the summer with the likes of Lloyd, Rory Burke and Johnny Murphy mightn’t be kept. Rumors of Masterson to Scotland seem to have gone quite.

In terms of ins you’d need to look at a replacement for faingaa, this should be a marquee 7. I’d also look at bringing in a second back row, possibly another 7 or a ball carrier of an 8. I’d look to promote the likes of kerins, Reilly and DTM in the places of Lloyd and Murphy. Conor Kenny has been pretty impressive but if a cheap prop who can play both sides was available id bring him in for Burke.

If Godwin goes there could be a few problems. The man is single handily covering the full back line pretty much. I’d be hopeful that both Bundee and Farrell will be involved with the Irish squad so I’d probably look at a NIQ 13 again of reasonable quality and possibly try and nab a back three player from one of the other provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

You double posted it, but as I agree 200% with what is said, that's fair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    You double posted it, but as I agree 200% with what is said, that's fair :D

Sorted hahah I’d even look at a guy like Mullins for the 13 role too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Realistically we are not getting a best runner up spot but to keep an unbeaten record at home in Europe is something we should be valuing

Also Jim Hamilton's preview for rugbypass is worth a read
    Pool 5

Connacht vs Toulouse

Toulouse are unbeaten in Europe. We will see what they are made of this weekend. Connacht have giant killer performances in them and I would not be surprised if they beat Toulouse.

Tough one... f*** it:

Connacht by 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    No word in Marmion at all

He is in training pics though

Craggy Rugby Podcast listed him as back next week with the likes of Tom Farrell

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Craggy Rugby Podcast listed him as back next week with the likes of Tom Farrell

Game vs Montpellier will show the best team we've had this season, everybody's back! :pac:
    Does someone know which block has been picked for Connacht fans in the Stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    freyners wrote: »
    Realistically we are not getting a best runner up spot but to keep an unbeaten record at home in Europe is something we should be valuing

Also Jim Hamilton's preview for rugbypass is worth a read

Love Murray Kinsella analysis but any piece with a two line prediction including "f*** it" is just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    I don't think Connacht are out of contention this weekend, a home win wouldn't be a shock. Toulouse are very patchy on the road (their first string got well beaten at Stade Francais last weekend).

Now, Connacht have been playing awful rugby, but it wouldn't take a huge swing for them to win IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I don't think Connacht are out of contention this weekend, a home win wouldn't be a shock. Toulouse are very patchy on the road (their first string got well beaten at Stade Francais last weekend).

Now, Connacht have been playing awful rugby, but it wouldn't take a huge swing for them to win IMO.

They also have a 6 day turnaround. Connacht have more starters back now too. If the mentality is right you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over

Given the squad we’re going to have at home this weekend, I’d be very annoyed if we don’t win. Just can’t accept losing at home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    According to Murray Kinsella on 42 podcast there was some delay in the contract offer Connacht made to Fainga’a, despite Connacht being very keen to keep him that allowed Lyon to swoop in late. That’s annoying if accurate, would have thought he would be offered deal months ago when Butler, Aki, etc were.

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    According to Murray Kinsella on 42 podcast there was some delay in the contract offer Connacht made to Fainga’a, despite Connacht being very keen to keep him that allowed Lyon to swoop in late. That’s annoying if accurate, would have thought he would be offered deal months ago when Butler, Aki, etc were.

Because he’s NIQ they probably needed approval from the IRFU for any contract offer most likely where a delay arose I’d guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH

That's very disappointing if true.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It wouldn't make any odds though? His agent would be shopping him around regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It wouldn't make any odds though? His agent would be shopping him around regardless.

Agreed. Even if Connacht had offered a contract in time it wouldn't match 300k.

Mul, it's over

Possibly not but getting an offer on table last October before other clubs such as Lyon had decided what/who they needed might have increased chances of him signing. It certainly wouldn’t have harmed them anyway.

Edit - Fairly sure pro players, like anyone else, don’t like job uncertainty. Had Fainga’a broke his leg in November he would likely only be getting an offer from Connacht and it might be reduced from what was previously on the table (in the hypothetical where Connacht had made an offer in October). Early offer is always better.

Mul, it's over
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    Because he’s NIQ they probably needed approval from the IRFU for any contract offer most likely where a delay arose I’d guess

That would make the most sense alright especially as he can’t qualify for three seasons.

ss
    That would make the most sense alright especially as he can’t qualify for three seasons.

on the contrary IRFU should have pushed as he's qualified right before RWC
    But there's already too many IQ quality back-rows, the point now is to have 1 to Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Agreed. Even if Connacht had offered a contract in time it wouldn't match 300k.

Why not ? Not far off what Copeland is earning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Why not ? Not far off what Copeland is earning

There's not a hope Copeland is on a 300k contract after being a 2nd/3rd string player for Munster.

Standard provincial contracts are 1-200k at most. Even if you look at the reported value of central contracts, the top 8 bottoms out at 400k, so you would imagine there's plenty of international team players on less than that.

connachta wrote: »
    So good to have dilemna again

1) Buckley or McAllister?
    2) Heffernan, McCartney, or Delahunt?
    3) Bealham or McCoy?
    6) Boyle, McKeon or Masterson?
    7) Fainga'a, Butler or Boyle?
    8) Butler, Boyle or Copeland?
    9) Marmion, Blade, or Kerrins?
    12/13) Aki, Robb, Godwin or Daly?
    11/14) Niyi, Healy, Godwin or Porch?

Can't wait for the team 1/2 an hour to keep waiting

I'd like

1 McAllister (fresher and bigger unit) 17 Buckley
    2 Heff (ball carrying) 16 McCartney (experience and throws)
    3 Bealham (experienced) 18 McCoy
    6) Boyle (can't have him elsewhere because of Fainga'a/Butler)
    7) Fainga'a
    8) Butler
    20) Masterson (slightly better than McKeon/Copeland and lineout jumper)
    9) Blade (will rest fully next week with Marmion back) 21 Kerrins (can't start him in that game)

12) Robb (useful in rucks, behind scrums and to gain the line)
    13) Aki
    11/14) Healy/Niyi (fresh and experienced)
    22) Godwin (covers 10/12)
    23) Porch (covers 14/15)

The Friend Zone
    I see Rowing Ireland have received money from the Large Scale sport infrastructure fund. I wonder have Connacht got any word.

https://www.rowingireland.ie/rowing-ireland-receive-large-scale-sport-infrastructure-funding/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

They have.. Not good news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    They have.. Not good news

I take it Leo came down to have his photo taken while delivering the "Not good news"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

CONNACHT MATCHDAY SQUAD V TOULOUSE (11/1/20 @ 15:15)
    15-9: Tiernan O’Halloran, Niyi Adeolokun, Bundee Aki, Peter Robb, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Stephen Kerins.
    1-8: Paddy McAllister, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Gavin Thornbury, Paul Boyle, Colby Fainga’a, Jarrad Butler (C).
    Replacements: David Heffernan, Denis Buckley, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Joe Maksymiw, Eoin McKeon, Caolin Blade, David Horwitz, John Porch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

What's that Toulouse side like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Declan Varley reporting on Twitter that they got 10m, not the 20m they requested. "Galway Regional Aquatic and Fitness Centre" in Cappagh got 8.3m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    CONNACHT MATCHDAY SQUAD V TOULOUSE (11/1/20 @ 15:15)
    15-9: Tiernan O’Halloran, Niyi Adeolokun, Bundee Aki, Peter Robb, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Stephen Kerins.
    1-8: Paddy McAllister, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Gavin Thornbury, Paul Boyle, Colby Fainga’a, Jarrad Butler (C).
    Replacements: David Heffernan, Denis Buckley, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Joe Maksymiw, Eoin McKeon, Caolin Blade, David Horwitz, John Porch.

Does McAllister offer more than Buckley? Suprised to see him start.

Kerins over Blade is a big statement from Friend

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    franglan wrote: »
    What's that Toulouse side like?

fully loaded !

Clement Castets
    Julien Marchand
    Charlie Faumuina
    Florian Verhaeghe
    Iosefa Tekori