Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Would play decent team next weekend but no-one with high minutes should be risked, Boyle (probably won’t be available anyway), Blade, Godwin, etc

Know Kerins struggled a bit yesterday but would be tempted to give him another start with Marmion coming off bench. If Marmion and Blade are fit for rest of season he’s not likely to see much game time and aside from yesterday he’s looked good, albeit off bench.

Ruidhri O'Connor reporting we are trying to sign Leinsters kid they brought over from Hawaii Salanoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Lebute wrote: »
    Ruidhri O'Connor reporting we are trying to sign Leinsters kid they brought over from Hawaii Salanoa.

Pretty sure Leinster didn’t bring him over he came over to try and make it himself. Would be a decent signing though looks like he could be decent in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

salmocab wrote: »
    Pretty sure Leinster didn’t bring him over he came over to try and make it himself. Would be a decent signing though looks like he could be decent in a year or two.

Eddie O'Sullivan brought him over as part of his program he was running to recruit American football players and organised a week's trial with Leinster as well as having him play with Old Belvedere.

Would definitely be a good signing for depth, has big potential if someone's willing to keep putting the time in to help develop him.

Eddie O'Sullivan brought him over as part of his program he was running to recruit American football players and organised a week's trial with Leinster as well as having him play with Old Belvedere.

Would definitely be a good signing for depth, has big potential if someone's willing to keep putting the time in to help develop him.

Ah right, fair play to him anyway. Takes a lot to move so far on what must be a very long shot of making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Can develop like McCoy on a 3-year basis.
    Good call as Buckley/McAllister both arrive in their 30's

We need to fix the back-row/Ball-carrying abilities. Fainga'a signing in Lyon for 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Hes a tight head prop isn't he ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    Can develop like McCoy on a 3-year basis.
    Good call as Buckley/McAllister both arrive in their 30's

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Hes a tight head prop isn't he ?

Was just going to say the same. Definitely was at TH over the interpros.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Was just going to say the same. Definitely was at TH over the interpros.

117kg and 23 years old, could be couverted...

Mul, it's over
    117kg and 23 years old, could be couverted...

I don't think any coach in their right mind would convert a tighthead who's going well to loosehead, tighthead is a far more valuable position.

I don't think any coach in their right mind would convert a tighthead who's going well to loosehead, tighthead is a far more valuable position.

We'd need to release Burke/Kenny to bring a LH, then

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    We'd need to release Burke/Kenny to bring a LH, then

I'd be surprised if Burke is retained

I'd be surprised if Burke is retained

McCabe neither..

So

1) Buckley
    17) McAllister
    Eagles) Project player as those above are in their 30's
    Reserve) M.Burke

3) Bealham
    18) McCoy
    Eagles) Project player Salanoa
    Reseve) Kenny

Mul, it's over
    To be honest I think McCabe is more than solid enough for 3rd choice loosehead. I'd be more concerned about replacing Fainga'a with a brute of a back row. Salanoa could add some heft up front too.

My hypothesis would mean, about foreigners

2 project Props (IQ 2 years before RWC 2027)
    2 NIQ ball-carriers 2nd/Backrow
    1 NIQ versatile back (Godwin or newcomer)

Respects the 3+2 rule

release Horwitz, lose Fainga'a, Irish-qualify Butler, promote Tierney-Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    There's plenty of fish in the pond. Look east! No need for NIQ's. Leinster have lads deemed surplus. Lads like Watters. Make a run at Penny? Murray at 2nd row will be a good player. Along with Maksimiw and a healthy Gallagher, they are set. Gallagher can play at 6. At this point, the injuries can be pointed too as the reason for the recent performance. Let's see how they go with a fit, healthy squad. The constant rush for exotic NIQ lads drives me nuts. There's talent in Ireland, let's use it.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    There's plenty of fish in the pond. Look east! No need for NIQ's. Leinster have lads deemed surplus. Lads like Watters. Make a run at Penny? Murray at 2nd row will be a good player. Along with Maksimiw and a healthy Gallagher, they are set. Gallagher can play at 6. At this point, the injuries can be pointed too as the reason for the recent performance. Let's see how they go with a fit, healthy squad. The constant rush for exotic NIQ lads drives me nuts. There's talent in Ireland, let's use it.

As Connacht are not Ulster/Munster and can't have support for guys like Carbery/Murphy/Conway/Moore, we're due to hope, if they are kind enough, to enlist 20 y.o players. At best.

Of Course one will come from east but we will set our NIQ contigent, and rightly so

To be honest I think McCabe is more than solid enough for 3rd choice loosehead. I'd be more concerned about replacing Fainga'a with a brute of a back row. Salanoa could add some heft up front too.

McCabe cost us 2 or 3 penalties and maybe the LBP in Toulouse.
    He wasn't release for no reason

Mul, it's over
    McCabe cost us 2 or 3 penalties and maybe the LBP in Toulouse.
    He wasn't release for no reason

He also had 2 seasons of being a very solid pro for us. Don't think I'd be ditching him based on a single game against one of the best teams in Europe at home.

He also had 2 seasons of being a very solid pro for us. Don't think I'd be ditching him based on a single game against one of the best teams in Europe at home.

So you think M.Burke was prefered as 3rd choice LH only for bugetary reasons? (maybe, that's not a purely rethorical question)

Mul, it's over
    So you think M.Burke was prefered as 3rd choice LH only for bugetary reasons? (maybe, that's not a purely rethorical question)

I and quite a few others thought it was madness releasing McCabe at the time, there were quite a few posts here about it. We were quickly proven correct too...

But yes, the whole squad was trimmed down, I presume to save money wherever possible to maintain the squad and squirrel away money for the new stadium. It resulted in a few punts on young lads like Burke. He might still have a great future but props generally need a couple years to mature.

• Advertisement

I and quite a few others thought it was madness releasing McCabe at the time, there were quite a few posts here about it. We were quickly proven correct too...

But yes, the whole squad was trimmed down, I presume to save money wherever possible to maintain the squad and squirrel away money for the new stadium. It resulted in a few punts on young lads like Burke. He might still have a great future but props generally need a couple years to mature.

I remember Burke was prefered to McCabe in the end of last year in such crucial games as Cardiff home.
    I don't think he was so up to it...

Mul, it's over
    I remember Burke was prefered to McCabe in the end of last year in such crucial games as Cardiff home.
    I don't think he was so up to it...

That is literally the only game he was preferred to McCabe in the pro 14 run in...

Cheetahs - McCabe
    Glasgow - McCabe
    Ospreys - McCabe
    Benetton - McCabe
    Zebre - McCabe
    Cardiff - Burke
    Munster - McCabe
    Ulster - McCabe

Edit: I just stopped at Cheetahs randomly but Burke did bench the Cardiff game before that also. It's still clear McCabe was far preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    That is literally the only game he was preferred to McCabe in the pro 14 run in...

Cheetahs - McCabe
    Glasgow - McCabe
    Ospreys - McCabe
    Benetton - McCabe
    Zebre - McCabe
    Cardiff - Burke
    Munster - McCabe
    Ulster - McCabe

Edit: I just stopped at Cheetahs randomly but Burke did bench the Cardiff game before that also. It's still clear McCabe was far preferred.

Lads.does it really matter? I think we can all agree that the squad needs a few more experienced powerful players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    I see Munster were linked to Matt Gallagher of Saracens by Balls the other day. I'd take him. He's Irish qualified. Only 23. Back three is a injury prone area unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

macslash wrote: »
    I see Munster were linked to Matt Gallagher of Saracens by Balls the other day. I'd take him. He's Irish qualified. Only 23. Back three is a injury prone area unfortunately.

He’d be a great replacement for tiernan, connacht need to up it, there missing out on a stud here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone

Obviously he wants to be closer to the surf....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    He’d be a great replacement for tiernan, connacht need to up it, there missing out on a stud here

Tiernan #cardmagnet,

Mul, it's over
    https://www.offtheball.com/rugby/irfu-kyne-connacht-949735

A few shots fired at the IRFU there. Anyway, it looks like the they won't be getting involved at all in the stadium, once bitten twice shy.

https://www.offtheball.com/rugby/irfu-kyne-connacht-949735

A few shots fired at the IRFU there. Anyway, it looks like the they won't be getting involved at all in the stadium, once bitten twice shy.

He seems bitter that his government gave less than had been said by Leo, I think it was and now expects the irfu to be tripping over itself to sort it out and kiss his governmental ass.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    salmocab wrote: »
    He seems bitter that his government gave less than had been said by Leo, I think it was and now expects the irfu to be tripping over itself to sort it out and kiss his governmental ass.

The government gave the full 20 million requested by Connacht.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement