Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Bazzo wrote: »
    https://www.offtheball.com/rugby/irfu-kyne-connacht-949735

A few shots fired at the IRFU there. Anyway, it looks like the they won't be getting involved at all in the stadium, once bitten twice shy.

Refusing to engage seems ridiculous. Guess it has worked out in the end but really the IRFU should be making some contribution.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    hang on, were connacht expecting to get a €30 million renovation project finished with NO financial input from themselves????

€20 million as request from the government, but they expected the IRFU to come up with the other €10m required, even though they never received any indication that the IRFU would be footing that bill?

that article reads like a child in a playground throwing a hissy fit

Mul, it's over
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    hang on, were connacht expecting to get a €30 million renovation project finished with NO financial input from themselves????

€20 million as request from the government, but they expected the IRFU to come up with the other €10m required, even though they never received any indication that the IRFU would be footing that bill?

How did you arrive at that conclusion? That’s a politician speaking not a rep of Connacht rugby. He was being questioned as to why Connacht got additional ten million and why the irfu weren’t contributing given so many other areas need investment etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Refusing to engage seems ridiculous. Guess it has worked out in the end but really the IRFU should be making some contribution.

Not sure how the RDS is split between Leinster Rugby and the Horse society but might there be an issue with Connecht being the sub-tenants of the dogs that would cause a reluctance for the IRFU to give money to the project? Or is this changing with the new stadium project?

In any case, if the TDs version of events are true then it is madness for the IRFU to not engage even if the project is being ran locally

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone

Connacht are raising the remaining funding privately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The government gave the full 20 million requested by Connacht.

Oh sorry thought I’d read there was a shortfall in the funding. Not sure what his beef is though.

Mul, it's over
    freyners wrote: »
    Not sure how the RDS is split between Leinster Rugby and the Horse society but might there be an issue with Connecht being the sub-tenants of the dogs that would cause a reluctance for the IRFU to give money to the project? Or is this changing with the new stadium project?

In any case, if the TDs version of events are true then it is madness for the IRFU to not engage even if the project is being ran locally

Don’t know if it’s changing or not, don’t think there has been any public info revealed on. It should be to an extent anyway you would think, this would never happen without Connacht rugby so if the ground is used for other profit making events in future eg concerts or whatever it shouldn’t be bord na gcon getting all the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over

I don't think so, the article is a little confusing because there was the initial 10 million shortfall from government money and the 10 million left over after the government funding. I think the government initially green lighted 10 of the 20 million requested and then requested a meeting with the IRFU who told them it wasn't their problem and go speak to Connacht branch.

The Friend Zone
    freyners wrote: »
    Connacht are raising the remaining funding privately

exactly,

im questioning why that TD though the full 30 million would be funded without any input from connacht.

I can imagine the reason there was no meeting with philip browne was that there was no intention of IRFU funding the other €10 million.

The Friend Zone
    I don't think so, the article is a little confusing because there was the initial 10 million shortfall from government money and the 10 million left over after the government funding. I think the government initially green lighted 10 of the 20 million requested and then requested a meeting with the IRFU who told them it wasn't their problem and go speak to Connacht branch.

it doesnt say that though.

it says that Kyne requested a meeting with the IRFU "on behalf of the western deputies"... not on behalf of the government

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    it doesnt say that though.

it says that Kyne requested a meeting with the IRFU "on behalf of the western deputies"... not on behalf of the government

Ok then... The government initially green lighted 10/20 and then certain members of the government requested meeting with the IRFU, it doesn't really materially change what I said...

I think you've misread it though, as far as I'm aware nobody ever expected the IRFU to make up the 10 million Connacht expected to privately raise funds for. I think it's poor form on the part of the IRFU not to even bother sitting down at a table with the TDs involved and I'm not sure it's very politically shrewd either.

Mul, it's over
    exactly,

im questioning why that TD though the full 30 million would be funded without any input from connacht.

I can imagine the reason there was no meeting with philip browne was that there was no intention of IRFU funding the other €10 million.

I don’t think he thinks that the full 30 million would be funded without Connacht input, what are you basing that on?

Seems clear that kyne is talking about scenario where Connacht only got 10m from government and so had 10m shortfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

Any chance the "Western Deputies" knew only €10m was coming from LSSIF and wanted to meet with the IRFU to see if they could fund €10m shortfall?

Maybe Kyne is grumpy because the lack of a meeting meant they went back looking for favours and €10m was found from 2040 fund?

Edit - Basically what ClanofLams said ...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    The state should be taking a stake in the stadium instead of handing out free money. Connacht Rugby are benefitting from parish pump politics and election time. The OTB segments confirmed as much.

Mul, it's over
    The state should be taking a stake in the stadium instead of handing out free money. Connacht Rugby are benefitting from parish pump politics and election time. The OTB segments confirmed as much.

They also handed out "free money" to IIP and the RDS though?? And I'm sure Thomond benefitted from government funding back in the day too.

Mul, it's over

That’s not the way funding operates though. Government funding has gone to RDS, Lansdowne Road, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, etc

Not saying your point is wrong but Connacht far from only beneficiaries.

The Friend Zone
    I don’t think he thinks that the full 30 million would be funded without Connacht input, what are you basing that on?

Seems clear that kyne is talking about scenario where Connacht only got 10m from government and so had 10m shortfall.

so this is a story about nothing?

connacht got €20 million from the government, in two €10 million tranches, and already had plans to raise the other €10 million internally.

Mul, it's over

connacht got €20 million from the government, in two €10 million tranches, and already had plans to raise the other €10 million internally.

The story is about the IRFU refusing to meet with politicians over Connacht's requested government funding and apparently pissing off a few TDs in the process... We already knew all the funding got sorted in the end

Like I said when I linked the story, Kyne was firing a few shots at the IRFU, he specifically said that would never have happened if Munster or Leinster were involved rather than Connacht.

The Friend Zone
    Like I said when I linked the story, Kyne was firing a few shots at the IRFU, he specifically said that would never have happened if Munster or Leinster were involved rather than Connacht.

and thats exactly why i likened it to a child throwing a tantrum...... embarrassing comment really.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I’m amazed by how much bitterness there is around the €20m grant. It’s made me more thankful that Connacht got it as I didn’t realise there was that much resistance around. The standard of the ground and training facilities are miles away from pro standard. I thought everyone regardless of what team or even sport they follow would see the case for that investment on a cost / benefit ratio.

You’d swear Connacht got funding for a jumbotron or a helipad, it’s a very basic plan for two stands and a training facility. We’re getting some covered seats and we’re throwing out the portoloos. I was looking at the French fans in town spending cash in the city and getting rained on standing behind the goal line they were at an AIL match. It’s embarrassing and the state is right to invest to fix it.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Off the ball today, Irish times yesterday, crazy how much criticism Connacht stadium funding is getting when Leinster are getting ten million for a fine stadium they rarely fill and Lansdowne which they can use a ten minute walk away.

Off the ball today, Irish times yesterday, crazy how much criticism Connacht stadium funding is getting when Leinster are getting ten million for a fine stadium they rarely fill and Lansdowne which they can use a ten minute walk away.

What criticism is the funding getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

macslash wrote: »
    I see Munster were linked to Matt Gallagher of Saracens by Balls the other day. I'd take him. He's Irish qualified. Only 23. Back three is a injury prone area unfortunately.

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/matt-gallagher-saracens-munster-424137

Sadly "advanced talks" with Munster
    Powerful winger (96 kg) is what we need if Godwin goes (Better to have Gallagher 2.0 rather than converted center most of the time out of position)

12) Robb/Daly/Luke Carty
    13) Aki/Farrell/SOB 2.0
    11) Healy/Porch
    14) Niyi/Gallagher
    15) TOH/Leader/DeBuitlear

It’s a story about a TD in election mode

The Friend Zone
    salmocab wrote: »
    What criticism is the funding getting?

to be fair, watersons article yesterday in the times is very begrudging of the 20 million.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/other-sports-look-on-in-awe-as-connacht-rugby-hits-the-funding-jackpot-1.4137528

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

connachta wrote: »
    https://www.balls.ie/rugby/matt-gallagher-saracens-munster-424137

Sadly "advanced talks" with Munster
    Powerful winger (96 kg) is what we need if Godwin goes (Better to have Gallagher 2.0 rather than converted center most of the time out of position)

12) Robb/Daly/Luke Carty
    13) Aki/Farrell/SOB 2.0
    11) Healy/Porch
    14) Niyi/Gallagher
    15) TOH/Leader/DeBuitlear

Did you forget S.Fitzgerald? or is he going somewhere?
    And what's the story with Luke Carty? does he play 10 too?

Mul, it's over
    Mr Tickle wrote: »

He's been playing 10 for buccs AFAIK. Probably a bit small for 12 as a pro.

to be fair, watersons article yesterday in the times is very begrudging of the 20 million.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/other-sports-look-on-in-awe-as-connacht-rugby-hits-the-funding-jackpot-1.4137528

It’s just an opinion piece really, I haven’t seen any real giving out about it, other sports can feel aggrieved about funding just like some of the lads here did when they thought they weren’t getting the funding the other day and a swimming pool was but the reality of those situations is they aren’t linked.

Mr Tickle wrote: »

Yeah true for S.Fitz
    Maybe 8 back-3 guys and 6 centres are not perfectly balanced, but if we recruit a 10/12 à la Horwitz, it would be all right

• Advertisement

1- Buckley/McAllister/M.Burke (1 more year of experience + Academy LH Duggan)

2- Heffernan/Delahunt/Newcomer IQ (Donnellan/Annett/McGuigan)/Tierney-Martin -yeah we need to release a bit of cash not renewing 34 y.o McCartney+Murphy, enough talent is there-

3- Bealham/McCoy/Salanoa/Kenny -use R.Burke money-

4- Dillane/Roux/Ball-Carrier NIQ -use Fainga'a money-

5- Thornbury/Gallagher/Macksymiew

6- Boyle/SOB/E.Masterson

7- Butler/Penny -use McCartney money-

8- Big Ball-Carrier NIQ/McKeon/S.Masterson -use Copeland money-

9- Marmion/Blade/Kerrins (Academy Reilly stepping if needed) -release Lloyd and a bit of cash-

10- Carty/C.Fitzgerald/Project Player 10/12 -for Horwitz- (+ Dean)

12- Robb/Daly/Luke Carty

13- Aki/Farrell/SOB 2.0

11- Healy/Porch

14- Niyi/Gallagher -or another heavy IQ winger among our light runners- (+ DeBuitlear) -Godwin releasing money and NIQ spot for Big 2nd Row-

15- TOH/Leader/S.Fitzgerald

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement