Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    That’s not the way funding operates though. Government funding has gone to RDS, Lansdowne Road, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, etc

Not saying your point is wrong but Connacht far from only beneficiaries.

That's fair enough. I just wonder out loud if the state should be giving money to organisations that could raise their own. This isn't money for an operation that isn't profit driven (playgrounds, municipal playing pitches etc).

If this was an interest free loan then it would seem more reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    and thats exactly why i likened it to a child throwing a tantrum...... embarrassing comment really.

It's a story about a politician thinking he's more important than he is. But whetever Browne's intentions re funding or not for the stadium, it's disrespectful not to at least accede to a meeting, where he could explain whatever his decision was. Sean Kyne was the chief whip of the government party, it's not exactly a good idea to go p1ssing off politicians who could be a future minister for sport, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Zzippy wrote: »
    It's a story about a politician thinking he's more important than he is. But whetever Browne's intentions re funding or not for the stadium, it's disrespectful not to at least accede to a meeting, where he could explain whatever his decision was. Sean Kyne was the chief whip of the government party, it's not exactly a good idea to go p1ssing off politicians who could be a future minister for sport, etc.

It’s not disrespectful to tell him there is no point in a meeting as we won’t be giving 10,000,000 euro to make up for your shortfall. He was the one looking for someone to cover them. I’m glad they don’t feel the need to toady after a TD.

salmocab wrote: »
    It’s not disrespectful to tell him there is no point in a meeting as we won’t be giving 10,000,000 euro to make up for your shortfall. He was the one looking for someone to cover them. I’m glad they don’t feel the need to toady after a TD.

Then you don't get how this country works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It would take a big brown envelop in that case.

• Advertisement

I very much do, if he ends up as sports minister and rugby go looking for something off him he’ll do whatever is best for himself his party and his chances of re-election, Regardless of what happened on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over

Frankly I know nothing about Sean Kyne, nor do I particularly care for or about him. I think it's pretty dumb of the CEO of the IRFU to intentionally antagonise a senior government official. Politics are politics and that's not going to change unfortunately, and sport is and always will be linked to various forms of government funding.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Frankly I know nothing about Sean Kyne, nor do I particularly care for or about him. I think it's pretty dumb of the CEO of the IRFU to intentionally antagonise a senior government official. Politics are politics and that's not going to change unfortunately, and sport is and always will be linked to various forms of government funding.
    I doubt he intentionally antagonised anyone I’d be very confident that Kyne is pushing the truth to its limits.

Mul, it's over
    I doubt he intentionally antagonised anyone I’d be very confident that Kyne is pushing the truth to its limits.

Well we can only go off the apparent version of events that's been published and whatever happened it was enough to cause Kyne to get on off the ball and bad mouth the IRFU.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Well we can only go off the apparent version of events that's been published and whatever happened it was enough to cause Kyne to get on off the ball and bad mouth the IRFU.

The day an election is announced

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone

what decision??
    there was no proposal put forward to make any decision on?

Philip Browne simply told them to go speak to connacht first, as that shortfall, when it existed, was connachts problem to solve, not the IRFUs.

Im honestly amazed this has any legs. Its a politician throwing his toys out of a pram because he was unable to lobby..... and then he throws out the "oh you'd do it for randolph scott" whinge.... as i said.. embarrassing.

The day an election is announced

It's not in his interest either to lie about a senior sports body CEO who could call him out if it's untrue and cause considerable embarrassment in the middle of said election campaign.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what decision??
    there was no proposal put forward to make any decision on?

Philip Browne simply told them to go speak to connacht first, as that shortfall, when it existed, was connachts problem to solve, not the IRFUs.

Im honestly amazed this has any legs. Its a politician throwing his toys out of a pram because he was unable to lobby..... and then he throws out the "oh you'd do it for randolph scott" whinge.... as i said.. embarrassing.

It's heavily implied in the article that the decision was not to fund the redevelopment. No problem with that. He was within his rights not to meet them, and to direct them to the local branch. Of course he was.

If the story is as reported, though, that's not the most diplomatic approach, which is all that I was pointing out. In this country what goes around often comes around, and you never know when that annoying jumped up TD with notions about himself could be the minister making decisions on funding your sport.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    It's heavily implied in the article that the decision was not to fund the redevelopment.

no its not.

The article, nor anything ive seen anywhere, suggests that there was a request / proposal from any body, political or otherwise, to the IRFU to fund €10 million towards the upgrade of the sportsground.

what it does say is that a group of connacht TDs wanted to meet the IRFU to discuss the shortfall, but were told to go speak to connacht first... which i would envisage as the correct course of action.

should connacht then find themselve sin such a position, its connacht who would have to put in the request to theIRU to for funds.

This is simply politicians trying to off-the-record lobby, and finding a door shut on them.... and more power to the IRFU in my eyes for not cededing to that kind of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    I very much do, if he ends up as sports minister and rugby go looking for something off him he’ll do whatever is best for himself his party and his chances of re-election, Regardless of what happened on this.

If you haven’t listened to the clip, I should point out that he wasn’t really attacking the irfu, though that might be how it reads, it was more a case of the two off the ball presenters were attacking him about the funding and saying why couldn’t the irfu put in some money,etc so he is defending against that and saying it seemed clear to him IRFU weren’t going to support it in event of shortfall, they ask how and he reveals background of communication.

I think it sounds like a very dumb thing to do, just have the meeting for an hour and say no money available, etc. Entirely possible he is a Minister next year or in few years to come and IRFU looking for support for something that is of no real political benefit and he might tell them where to go.

The only thing I would say in defence of IRFU is that a five year old could figure that out so it seems possible they had some sort of reason for not doing it eg. Thought with election coming up, Connacht would get full funding (as they did) and didn’t want to get boxed into anything or give government any reason not to fund it (didn’t want government to be able to say IRFU refused to put a euro into ground, etc)

But once the stadium was funded I don’t think anyone in Connacht cares too much about how.

If you haven’t listened to the clip, I should point out that he wasn’t really attacking the irfu, though that might be how it reads, it was more a case of the two off the ball presenters were attacking him about the funding and saying why couldn’t the irfu put in some money,etc so he is defending against that and saying it seemed clear to him IRFU weren’t going to support it in event of shortfall, they ask how and he reveals background of communication.

I think it sounds like a very dumb thing to do, just have the meeting for an hour and say no money available, etc. Entirely possible he is a Minister next year or in few years to come and IRFU looking for support for something that is of no real political benefit and he might tell them where to go.

The only thing I would say in defence of IRFU is that a five year old could figure that out so it seems possible they had some sort of reason for not doing it eg. Thought with election coming up, Connacht would get full funding (as they did) and didn’t want to get boxed into anything or give government any reason not to fund it (didn’t want government to be able to say IRFU refused to put a euro into ground, etc)

But once the stadium was funded I don’t think anyone in Connacht cares too much about how.

Like I said I’d say he’s pushing the limits of the truth, he asked for the meeting, irfu said we’re not the ones that you need to talk. That’s about all there is to the story I’d say. He wasn’t disrespected or anything but it sounds more like he expected a meeting to explain why there was no meeting.

Mul, it's over
    Like I said I’d say he’s pushing the limits of the truth, he asked for the meeting, irfu said we’re not the ones that you need to talk. That’s about all there is to the story I’d say. He wasn’t disrespected or anything but it sounds more like he expected a meeting to explain why there was no meeting.

Have you listened to the clip? The details were dragged out of him by the OTB presenters badgering him about why the government had provided the money rather than the IRFU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Is there squad updates ? Would be great to get Marmion back against Montpellier. He will need the game time. Hes been out quite a bit since November 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

connachta wrote: »
    1- Buckley/McAllister/M.Burke (1 more year of experience + Academy LH Duggan)

2- Heffernan/Delahunt/Newcomer IQ (Donnellan/Annett/McGuigan)/Tierney-Martin -yeah we need to release a bit of cash not renewing 34 y.o McCartney+Murphy, enough talent is there-

3- Bealham/McCoy/Salanoa/Kenny -use R.Burke money-

4- Dillane/Roux/Ball-Carrier NIQ -use Fainga'a money-

5- Thornbury/Gallagher/Macksymiew

6- Boyle/SOB/E.Masterson

7- Butler/Penny -use McCartney money-

8- Big Ball-Carrier NIQ/McKeon/S.Masterson -use Copeland money-

9- Marmion/Blade/Kerrins (Academy Reilly stepping if needed) -release Lloyd and a bit of cash-

10- Carty/C.Fitzgerald/Project Player 10/12 -for Horwitz- (+ Dean)

12- Robb/Daly/Luke Carty

13- Aki/Farrell/SOB 2.0

11- Healy/Porch

14- Niyi/Gallagher -or another heavy IQ winger among our light runners- (+ DeBuitlear) -Godwin releasing money and NIQ spot for Big 2nd Row-

15- TOH/Leader/S.Fitzgerald

Jordan Duggan is a young guy with no senior appearances coming off an ACL injury, so wouldn't be surprised if McCabe got another year.

I would keep Johnny Murphy if hes's happy with place in the squad, don't think we could get anyone significantly better. If DTM is any good he'll force his way into third on the depth chart.

I'd love to see us sign Salanoa, the kind of unit we need more of.

Definitely wouldn't say no to a grizzly physical second row but it wouldn't be a priority with three top quality guy and two homegrown prospects already there.

Would like to see Butler move back to 7 primarily, and for us to sign a young IQ as backup. Penny would be amazing but Conor Oliver probably more realistic. Also would love for us to uncover the next Bill Mata from Fijian Drua or somewhere, a big physical talented guy perhaps with rough edges we can smooth out. With SOB and Boyle as two top quality blindsides and Masterson Snr, McKeon, and possibly Masterson eile as versatile backups we would have a very strong back row corps.

Agree there's probably no need to keep Lloyd.

Think Carty, Fitz, and Dean would be sufficient at 10.

I don't see a future at Connacht for Luke Carty, though if Godwin leaves there is a gap in the squad for a centre who can cover 10 in a pinch. Robb and Aki are two top quality option at 12 with Daly as decent cover.

Assuming Godwin leaves there's a definite need for a back up 13. SOB was very unlucky to get injured as I reckon he was in line for an appearance or two this season. Tommy O'Brien and Gavin Mullin at Leinster are two good prospects at Leinster and at least one of them will surely need to leave for game time.

If Healy and Leader renew that leaves us with 6 guys for the back 3, with two being natural fullbacks and most able to cover to some degree. Probably room for one or two more. DeBuitlear was probably in line for senior gametime and a promotion before his injury, who knows where he stands now. Other options include Peter Sullivan (status unknown), Will Goddard, or a signing from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Marmion and Tom Farrell back but unfortunately Stephen Fitzgerald out for season. Conor Fitzgerald is available along with Robb and Conor Kenny.

https://www.the42.ie/connacht-kieran-marmion-4965669-Jan2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Marmion and Tom Farrell back but unfortunately Stephen Fitzgerald out for season. Conor Fitzgerald is available along with Robb and Conor Kenny.

ACL for Stephen, tough blow for him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Jordan Duggan is a young guy with no senior appearances coming off an ACL injury, so wouldn't be surprised if McCabe got another year.

Solid but unconsistant and not a player to win games. Give M.Burke a chance again, and save money. Duggan will step-up next year (21)

I would keep Johnny Murphy if hes's happy with place in the squad, don't think we could get anyone significantly better. If DTM is any good he'll force his way into third on the depth chart.

IQ McGuigan or Annett would be significant improvement, to step-up after McCartney

I'd love to see us sign Salanoa, the kind of unit we need more of.

We'd be in a reassuring area with 3 TH, 4 with promising Kenny, for the next 4 years

Definitely wouldn't say no to a grizzly physical second row but it wouldn't be a priority with three top quality guy and two homegrown prospects already there.

Disagree we have to face clear and clean our main issue : WE DON'T GAIN GROUND IN CONTACT, Never or close to. Macksymw/Gallagher are not the guys for this (but should be kept)

Would like to see Butler move back to 7 primarily, and for us to sign a young IQ as backup. Penny would be amazing but Conor Oliver probably more realistic.

Agree for both

Also would love for us to uncover the next Bill Mata from Fijian Drua or somewhere, a big physical talented guy perhaps with rough edges we can smooth out. With SOB and Boyle as two top quality blindsides and Masterson Snr, McKeon, and possibly Masterson eile as versatile backups we would have a very strong back row corps.

That's it. Mata for Edinburgh, Coetzee for Ulster, N.Willams in the recent past for Cardiff, Vunipola for Sarries, all game-changer ball-carriers

Think Carty, Fitz, and Dean would be sufficient at 10.

But we need a 10/12 to cover 3rd/4rd choice 10 AND 12... In case of injury crisis. Like Horwitz for the last 3 weeks. A guy on low-money but maybe better than Dave. IQ could be found perharps (Gearoid Lyons or dare I say, if Leicester are relegated, N.Reid)

I don't see a future at Connacht for Luke Carty, though if Godwin leaves there is a gap in the squad for a centre who can cover 10 in a pinch. Robb and Aki are two top quality option at 12 with Daly as decent cover.

We still need a 6th centre...

Assuming Godwin leaves there's a definite need for a back up 13. SOB was very unlucky to get injured as I reckon he was in line for an appearance or two this season. Tommy O'Brien and Gavin Mullin at Leinster are two good prospects at Leinster and at least one of them will surely need to leave for game time.

I think SOB 2.0 is more of a 13, would prefer a 3rd choice 12.
    But if we want a versatile back I'd go for James Newey. Could be the next Tom Farrell really fastly

If Healy and Leader renew that leaves us with 6 guys for the back 3, with two being natural fullbacks and most able to cover to some degree. Probably room for one or two more. DeBuitlear was probably in line for senior gametime and a promotion before his injury, who knows where he stands now. Other options include Peter Sullivan (status unknown), Will Goddard, or a signing from elsewhere.

Sullivan doesn't break through if Goddard came, and the latter, as Godwin, may go back to Australia ... If Gallagher is caught by Munster, Barry Daly or Fergus McFadden, even A.Byrne miss meaningful gametime cruely...

:=)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Mul, it's over

No word on Ultan. Is that good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Front row:
    Probably go with 3 LHP, 4 hookers and 4 THP.
    Probably a shoot out between Burke and McCabe again on who stays. Hooker should be 2 from McCartney, Murphy and DTM. Could keep all three by not promoting DTM. McCartney has had a bit of a return to form this year so could see him stay. THP salanoa in for Burke.

Second row:
    Would like a big physical ball carrier but just don’t see the funds being there. Three international standard locks with three potentially brilliant ones in Maksymiw, Gallagher and Murray.

Back row:
    Can see some big changes here. Could potentially see faingaa, Copeland and masterson all leaving. Would have a a big ball carrier as the marquee signing. Put the most funds into that. Would look to get one of penny or Connors in. If masterson did leave, I’d try to tempt josh Murphy across the Shannon.

Half backs:
    Don’t see any signings here, could see Lloyd and Horwitz likely to go. Could see Goddard come in as 10/15 cover, ala Godwin emergency ten cover.

Outside backs.
    Don’t see much change here either. Godwin the only one can see leaving and I don’t see him being replaced by a big name. Possibly an unknown gem like porch from Australia could come in but I really like the Gavin Mullins suggestion. As said above Goddard in at 15 and possibly promote de buitlear/Sullivan.

Goddard is too young, like Murray.
    If we need a 10/15 cover, I'd go for McPhillips back from Nottingham
    Where I'd bring J.Connolly back too if we lose 3 or 4 in our back-row

Evil_g wrote: »
    No word on Ultan. Is that good or bad?

Ultan not available
    Buckley and Boyle will be fully rested even with 3 weeks off after, IMO
    I expect

1) McAllister
    2) Heffernan
    3) McCoy
    4) Thornbury
    5) Macksymiw
    6) McKeon/Masterson
    7) Fainga'a
    8) Butler
    9) Marmion
    10) Carty
    11) Healy
    12) Aki
    13) Farrell
    14) Niyi
    15) TOH

16) Delahunt
    17) McCabe
    18) Kenny
    19) Murray (I'd try Copeland there but Friend doesn't see him as covering 2nd Row...)
    20) McKeon/Masterson
    21) Blade or Kerrins
    22) C.Fitzgerald (covering 15 -TOH on the wing if needed)
    23) Robb

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    Ultan not available

Anyone know what's wrong with him? Will he make the Six Nations?

knock to his hip last week-end

Should be ok for 6 nations
    could he make it is another story..
    Alan O'Connor may be a threat for Beirne, Dillane etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Took a knock to his hip apparently. No dates on return at the moment as it's being monitored I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

This might be the most common sentence in Irish rugby :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement