Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Mr Tickle wrote: »
    This might be the most common sentence in Irish rugby :pac:

Harsh!:pac:
    In fairness I think he is in his final year of medicine, or has it next year, he probably has enough on his plate.
    An impressive individual!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Harsh!:pac:
    In fairness I think he is in his final year of medicine, or has it next year, he probably has enough on his plate.
    An impressive individual!

I didn't mean it as a jab at the guy! if anything I meant the opposite. Coaches keep getting rid of him but he keeps getting called back. The Al Pacino of Irish rugby.
    Fair play to him for keeping up Medicine too. Some very sound decision making there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Dave Heffernan, Ultan and Bundee the 3 Connacht lads in the 6 Nations squad. Fair play to especially Dave and Ultan for working their way back in.

All 3 hookers in the squad are inexperienced to a good chance for someone to stake a claim to be 1st choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Yeah great to see the three of them but especially delighted for Dave Heffernan. Good indication to any potential signings too that if you’re playing well for Connacht (even when the team isn’t) you will get your shot at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    FACECUTTR wrote: »

Between this and his constant refrain of "we belong in the champions cup" (of course we do, we qualified) I'm not too fond of his media approach. He has really presenting us as a two bit operation.

Mul, it's over
    Between this and his constant refrain of "we belong in the champions cup" (of course we do, we qualified) I'm not too fond of his media approach. He has really presenting us as a two bit operation.

Yeah didn’t think those quotes were great either, especially as the same point was made a week ago. In fairness he’s probably just answering journalists question but no need to, just say focused on this season or whatever than signings, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

ClanofLams wrote: »
    In fairness he’s probably just answering journalists question but no need to, just say focused on this season or whatever than signings, etc
    I think he's just honestly outlining the gulf in class between Connacht and Leinster - although there's not many teams in Europe that can compete with Leinster at the moment.

Also, I think he's right to keep re-emphasising to certain fringe players, who are bound to read this stuff, that the possiblity exists to get way more first-team game-time and then to increase your likelihood of a national call-up.

Mul, it's over
    serfboard wrote: »
    I think he's just honestly outlining the gulf in class between Connacht and Leinster - although there's not many teams in Europe that can compete with Leinster at the moment.

Also, I think he's right to keep re-emphasising to certain fringe players, who are bound to read this stuff, that the possiblity exists to get way more first-team game-time and then to increase your likelihood of a national call-up.

Appreciate that but it’s a fine line between making players not first choice elsewhere aware of options and undermining current squad of players. Given it was mentioned last week, don’t really see need for it this week again but I don’t think it’s a major issue anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Appreciate that but it’s a fine line between making players not first choice elsewhere aware of options and undermining current squad of players. Given it was mentioned last week, don’t really see need for it this week again but I don’t think it’s a major issue anyway.

He's mentioned it in the context of having a small squad and injuries though rather than not having the quality. I don't think it's insulting to Eoin McKeown to tell him that he's not three people :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

No..... he is presenting us with the facts. He is actually sticking up for us and trying to get better players into his squad. He is actually saying that he is not happy being treated as a two bit operation by the IRFU...... and I agree with him.

Mul, it's over
    RobbieRuns wrote: »
    No..... he is presenting us with the facts. He is actually sticking up for us and trying to get better players into his squad. He is actually saying that he is not happy being treated as a two bit operation by the IRFU...... and I agree with him.

He is talking to the media about wanting Leinster 3rd/4th choices.
    Do the business but don't be making it a publlic aspiration.

On it's own I wouldn't be too bothered, but the press conferences after the Champions Cup games were a little annoying. "We have proved we belong in this competition" - we proved that last year when we qualified, we proved it when we won the Pro12.

Those statments stink of an inferiority complex and has the feeling of when we were in the doldrums pre 2014 - that is not where we are now.
    The squad should present themselves as a decent, competitve side who aren't second guessing themselves.

I think the province has earned that right.

If his goal is to attract players I think these staements are self defeating.

Mul, it's over
    Mr Tickle wrote: »
    He's mentioned it in the context of having a small squad and injuries though rather than not having the quality. I don't think it's insulting to Eoin McKeown to tell him that he's not three people :pac:

I’m fairly sure he’s mentioned it outside that context. Otherwise he wouldn’t be specifically on about Leinster. He would be on about wanting to increase depth with signings in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone

On it's own I wouldn't be too bothered, but the press conferences after the Champions Cup games were a little annoying. "We have proved we belong in this competition" - we proved that last year when we qualified, we proved it when we won the Pro12.

Those statments stink of an inferiority complex and has the feeling of when we were in the doldrums pre 2014 - that is not where we are now.
    The squad should present themselves as a decent, competitve side who aren't second guessing themselves.

He's not saying anything Lam wasn't saying. Lam was more scathing IMO saying players are happy just to wear the tracksuit (paraphrasing)

It could be said from a Blues perspective that it smacks of a superiority complex. He is rightly pointing out that players on IRFU contracts are languishing about up there while he is struggling. He had on average 27 players at training, not enough for 15v15. Leinster used 44 players during that period and that was not even training. What is wrong with pointing that out to your employer? Because what he is saying is a fact.

If you get into the HC and have to fight on that front (which lets be honest everyone wants) then surely you have to have a squad capable of being competitive in that competition as well as the Pro 14. He is spot on for me. It is not just about getting Leinster players by the way, it is about the rules of what the IRFU want. If they place restrictions on getting players who are Irish qualified, that is what kills it. He can't go and get outside players and sees loads here in one club, when they both have the same employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

KBurke85 wrote: »

Blade starting and on the bench too !! Some man.
    Delighted to see Kenny and Murray in again.

I see they changed it. Great to have Marmion fit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    KBurke85 wrote: »

Great to see Marmion back hopefully will drive himself and Blade on again. Strong side, be interesting to see the Montpellier team, hopefully we can get a win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

testtech05 wrote: »
    Great to see Marmion back hopefully will drive himself and Blade on again. Strong side, be interesting to see the Montpellier team, hopefully we can get a win!!

Montpellier: Johan Goosen, Gabriel N'gandebe, Arthur Vincent, Jan Serfontein, Yvan Reilhac, Handré Pollard, Benoit Paillaugue; Usha Tcheisvhili, Bismarck Du Plessis, Levan Chilachava, Nico Janse van Rensburg, Paul Willemse, Kelian Galletier (capt), Yacouba Camara, Jacques Du Plessis

Replacements: Vincent Giudicelli, Mikheil Nariashvili, Mohamed Haouas, Fulgence Ouedraogo, Kahn Fotuali'i, Anthony Bouthier, Thomas Darmon, Konstantine Mikautadze

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    evil_seed wrote: »
    He's not saying anything Lam wasn't saying. Lam was more scathing IMO saying players are happy just to wear the tracksuit (paraphrasing)

Yep, and I gave out about it that time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    It could be said from a Blues perspective that it smacks of a superiority complex. He is rightly pointing out that players on IRFU contracts are languishing about up there while he is struggling. He had on average 27 players at training, not enough for 15v15. Leinster used 44 players during that period and that was not even training. What is wrong with pointing that out to your employer? Because what he is saying is a fact.

If you get into the HC and have to fight on that front (which lets be honest everyone wants) then surely you have to have a squad capable of being competitive in that competition as well as the Pro 14. He is spot on for me. It is not just about getting Leinster players by the way, it is about the rules of what the IRFU want. If they place restrictions on getting players who are Irish qualified, that is what kills it. He can't go and get outside players and sees loads here in one club, when they both have the same employer.

The point is that some guys don't want to move. Conan in the past has turned down a move. I think Connacht may get 1 or 2 lads this year.
    Connacht failed to sign Rob Russell and Watters to an academy spot. Both of whom, could be very solid players. That's who they should target.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Eagles team

1--8: Conor Maguire, Shane Delahunt (c), Rory Burke, Cormac Daly, Joshua Dunne, Hubert Costello, Oisin McCormack, Donnacha Byrne.

15-9: Conor Hayes, Diarmuid Kilgallen, David Horwitz, Luke Carty, Peter Sullivan, Conor Dean, Stephen Kerins

Replacements: Dylan Tierney-Martin, Martin Staunton, Declan Adamson, Max Kennedy, Colm Reilly, Cathal Forde, Hugh Lane.

Delahunt is fit. Weird Murphy was prefered in Montpellier.. Maybe Friends wants to give him a chance to impress vs high opposition.
    L.Carty is definitely move to 12 for next season IMO...

Any update from the Eagles game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    FT: Munster A 52-14 Connacht Eagles.

FT: Munster A 52-14 Connacht Eagles.

Thanks connemara man. Not a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Thanks connemara man. Not a good result.

Was a weak Eagles team.

It wasn’t that weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Sarries relegated, we definitely have to go for Cameron Boon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

It wasn’t that weak.

Munster had 3 senior and 5 academy in their starting pack.

We had 2 senior, two club players, and four teenagers (two of whom are in the academy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement