Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Did way better than I thought they would. Marmion back was huge. Jack a mixture of skill, quick thinking and the odd brain fart.

Still proud of that effort, i prefer brave defeat to getting hammered. At 21-0 down it shows real character. They are all ready for a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Did way better than I thought they would. Marmion back was huge. Jack a mixture of skill, quick thinking and the odd brain fart.

Still proud of that effort, i prefer brave defeat to getting hammered. At 21-0 down it shows real character. They are all ready for a break.

At least we showed a bit of invention again too and that we can score tries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Like I said sickening result and if they'd woken up before 20 minutes into the match I reckon they'd have cruised it. Disappointing but definitely better than the dross over Christmas, hopefully the break does them good.

Few people have hopefully given Andy Farrell a gentle reminder they still exist, Carty and Marmion for sure. Bundee showing exactly why Ireland handed him a 3 year central contract.

Edit: side note, another concussion for Kenny? Not great, give him a good break to recover (thankfully he'll get a least a month but with Bealham and Roberson-McCoy I'd give him more.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Missed the game today, can anyone give me a synopsis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Missed the game today, can anyone give me a synopsis?

We were level.
    Then we were losing by LOADS.
    Then we were level.
    Then we were winning by a bit.
    Then they were winning by a small bit.
    Then we were winning by a small bit.
    Then they were winning by a bit.
    Then it looked like we were going to win by a small bit.
    But we didn't - they won by a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

Marmion was great yesterday, if only his box kicking was better he'd be ahead of any other scrum-half in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

typhoony wrote: »
    Marmion was great yesterday, if only his box kicking was better he'd be ahead of any other scrum-half in Ireland

Hopefully that box kicking game that Schmidt implimented is gone with the new set up. We were over reliant on it. Marmion is a wonderful player delighted to have him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    17 Edinburgh players in Scotland six nations squad. There is a six nations game on the same weekend as Edinburgh away so they might get a few back but majority likely to be needed. That’s really a must win.

Four Connacht players in the Ireland u20 squad.

Josh Dunne is in year two of the academy having come through the IQ rugby program. Has played second row and all three back row positions this year, but is primarily an 8. Big guy with good rugby intelligence.

Cathal Forde is a year underage, can play 12 but is mainly an outhalf. Talented footballer.

Diarmuid Kilgallen is a powerful back who has played a lot of 13 for Wegians this year but mainly on the wing for the Eagles.

Oran McNulty also came through IQ rugby and signed at the same time as Dunne. Short but explosive steppy wing/fullback.

Lucas Culliton was in the original squad but didn't make the cut, maybe injured. Tall, athletic second/back row.

Edit: Forgot about Shane Jennings who was also in the original squad, extremely talented outside back but also quite raw, will play with Ireland u19s this spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

connachta wrote: »
    Sarries relegated, we definitely have to go for Cameron Boon

Why? We have two second rows that are better a year apart of him.. this is the problem in connacht too much focus on bringing in others and not concentrated on developing our young players with good coaching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Why? We have two second rows that are better a year apart of him.. this is the problem in connacht too much focus on bringing in others and not concentrated on developing our young players with good coaching

Because Dillane is Irish-bound and when 1 of Roux/Thornbury is out, we're immediately in troubles. Boon will provide extra choice competing with Murray and Macksymiw

Mul, it's over
    Think second row is least of issues. Murray and Maksymiw will hopefully progress, three internationals ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Think second row is least of issues. Murray and Maksymiw will hopefully progress, three internationals ahead of them.

Basically (for now) only 3 players up to the European standard in an attritional position

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

connachta wrote: »
    Basically (for now) only 3 players up to the European standard in an attritional position

To be fair when you look at the other provinces that's pretty much the norm except for maybe Leinster who have slightly better depth but even then not massively so.

We've been unlucky in that we rarely have all three of our first choice locks available at once but I like that we are giving game time to the likes of Murray.

If we are to get out the checkbook for next season I'd be more concerned with a backrow replacement for Fainga'a who can take on some of the ball carrying responsibilities and a little more depth at prop.

Some Like It TOH
    Some nice clips from the weekend here, including that almost try from near our own 22.....
    https://twitter.com/the2ndRow/status/1219376828693078021?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

testtech05 wrote: »
    Some nice clips from the weekend here, including that almost try from near our own 22.....
    https://twitter.com/the2ndRow/status/1219376828693078021?s=09

That last one was inches from being an amazing try. If the last kick had bounced even slightly more infield Godwin or Marmion would have had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Did Pollard check Porch there or was it legit? That would have been an insane try

Some Like It TOH
    Interesting comments from Dave on the 42 this evening.
    ‘I ended up feeling sorry for myself, now I’m ready to take my second chance’ https://the42.ie/4974470

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

testtech05 wrote: »
    Interesting comments from Dave on the 42 this evening.
    ‘I ended up feeling sorry for myself, now I’m ready to take my second chance’ https://the42.ie/4974470

That's a great article. Heffernan always comes across as a really interesting, down to earth character. Hopefully he gets game time during the Six Nations, and does himself justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

macslash wrote: »
    Did Pollard check Porch there or was it legit? That would have been an insane try

No arm tackle for me.

That makes it foul play for sure, probably penalty only, and Connacht did get advantage from it. But it doesn't feel right that Pollard effectively got away with it.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1220662484706656256?s=19

Quietly going about a very impressive season. For me I think it's very hard to leave him out of a first choice back row now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Bazzo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1220662484706656256?s=19

Quietly going about a very impressive season. For me I think it's very hard to leave him out of a first choice back row now.

Should be in the wider Irish squad.

Do some of the coaches contracts end this season ?

Mul, it's over
    FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Do some of the coaches contracts end this season ?

No, they all renewed last season until end of next season.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    No, they all renewed last season until end of next season.

Good stuff.
    Gone quiet again on the stadium funding. Hopefully they get started as soon as the season finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

New stadium works start in July

Mul, it's over
    Phase one is just putting down the new pitch isn't it? I suppose they could start work on the new gym facilities etc once that's done during the season as the training pitch won't be needed any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Phase one is just putting down the new pitch isn't it? I suppose they could start work on the new gym facilities etc once that's done during the season as the training pitch won't be needed any more.

Think that was the plan, replace the pitch and then build the new training centre. After that they'll work on the stadium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Faingaa confirmed to Lyon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement