Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    There are Connacht player's at Cheltenham, that should be a 2 week isolation for them when they return. So that's three less to choose from/training

Not sure if tongue in cheek but they would they have to go into isolation after going to Cheltenham? Not like they are out in Italy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Redo91 wrote: »
    Not sure if tongue in cheek but they would they have to go into isolation after going to Cheltenham? Not like they are out in Italy!

There's been cases in the area of Cheltenham, so with a gathering that large I wouldn't be surprised if it was spreading through the meet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over

10 new cases today with some contracted through contact with someone who had travelled.

The 3 lads will have to stay away from the connacht squad for the next few weeks otherwise it could mean connacht games get postponed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

No sorry to derail the thread but nobody is advising people travelling to/from that area to self isolate for 2 weeks. Like I mean that’s not the advice of the government or medical experts so where are ye getting the idea that they would have to self isolate from?

Loads of the squad have been abroad in the last week to various countries where the Coronavirus is. Going by yer logic the entire squad will have to stay at home because the lads gone to Cheltenham are no more likely to get it than the players that went to Barcelona, London, etc.

Anyhow I’ll leave the Coronavirus chat at this. Just people need to calm down with hysteria a bit and not be getting so carried away. You’d swear the lads gone to Cheltenham are off in Wuhan with a stopover on Northern Italy the way people are going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    No sorry to derail the thread but nobody is advising people travelling to/from that area to self isolate for 2 weeks. Like I mean that’s not the advice of the government or medical experts so where are ye getting the idea that they would have to self isolate from?

Loads of the squad have been abroad in the last week to various countries where the Coronavirus is. Going by yer logic the entire squad will have to stay at home because the lads gone to Cheltenham are no more likely to get it than the players that went to Barcelona, London, etc.

Anyhow I’ll leave the Coronavirus chat at this. Just people need to calm down with hysteria a bit and not be getting so carried away. You’d swear the lads gone to Cheltenham are off in Wuhan with a stopover on Northern Italy the way people are going on!

Man city v arsenal tonight postponed
    Arsenal played a greek team last week and their manager has since tested positive for covid19

The British minister for Health has it.

A linfield player has it. Linfield are closing down their shop etc and postponing game(s)

Cork city v Bohemians this weekend is under threat as a result of community based transmissions in the region.

60000 ppl at Cheltenham. An event many thought should have been postponed. It's literally the perfect breeding ground and an event that goes on all day seeing money change hands constantly, people using the same hand railings, toilets, queuing for food etc. See below regarding one conference in USA

Common sense tells me Connacht have to take the correct steps. What happens to connachts season if one Connacht player tests positive from covid19 as a result? Potentially missing out on European cup next season if a load of 4 or 5 pointers become 0-0 draws while other games potentially get played, but who knows. I know Zebre and Benetton are in a different situation but they have literally ceased operations for the next fortnight minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Rumors gathering weight that we are signing Sam Arnold and Conor Oliver. I assume Godwin is off and Arnold is a big step back. Oliver no more than a squad player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Lebute wrote: »
    Rumors gathering weight that we are signing Sam Arnold and Conor Oliver. I assume Godwin is off and Arnold is a big step back. Oliver no more than a squad player.

We were very lucky to have a player of Godwin's quality along with Bundee and Farrell.
    I would think Arnold is a decent signing for us and where our squad is. No world Cup next year so hopefully we should see more of Bundee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Godwin is good but not exceptional
    he has 3 qualities
    1) can keep the ball in difficult situations
    2) can play 10 to 14
    3) is very rarely injured

Otherwise Arnold could step up IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

connachta wrote: »
    Godwin is good but not exceptional
    he has 3 qualities
    1) can keep the ball in difficult situations
    2) can play 10 to 14
    3) is very rarely injured

Otherwise Arnold could step up IMO

Arnold is a decent player and can do a job for us. He is getting dropped for a world cup winning beast of a centre.

He definitely can do a job in the pro14 games and if he rediscovers a bit of form the H-Cup games too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    Arnold's a bit dumb as an attacker. A few seasons under Pat Lam would have been just what he needs to upskill as a player.

Oliver looks like a clever player, from what I've seen of him. Munster haven't backed him enough when he's been fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Arnold's a bit dumb as an attacker. A few seasons under Pat Lam would have been just what he needs to upskill as a player.

Oliver looks like a clever player, from what I've seen of him. Munster haven't backed him enough when he's been fit.

Think Arnold could be a very decent squad player. Oliver looks a smart player but just wondering if he’s physically big enough for professional rugby, seems fairly injury prone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The Friend Zone
    Nothing on the Pro 14 website or social media about it.

Nothing on the Pro 14 website or social media about it.

Linley is usually spot on. Probably got it from the horse's mouth before it goes official.

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Linley is usually spot on. Probably got it from the horse's mouth before it goes official.

Ah yeah I know. I'm very much it's not true until it's true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Hardly surprising news but grand all the same. Had presumed the citing had been and passed without incident a good while ago to be honest.

The Friend Zone
    He was on his hols the week after, wouldn't he need to be there or in video link with the Connacht defence? Just a guess

He was on his hols the week after, wouldn't he need to be there or in video link with the Connacht defence? Just a guess

Two week break so I'd say delaying a hearing wouldn't have been a problem.

The Friend Zone
    Two week break so I'd say delaying a hearing wouldn't have been a problem.

Video hearings for all.

Sure the Pro 14 should be run on an online Jonah Lomu Rugby tournament with the coaches in charge of the controller

Video hearings for all.

Sure the Pro 14 should be run on an online Jonah Lomu Rugby tournament with the coaches fans in charge of the controller

FYP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Video hearings for all.

Sure the Pro 14 should be run on an online Jonah Lomu Rugby tournament with the coaches in charge of the controller

Think you just described Joe Schmidts fantasy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

RT&#201 wrote:
    In relation to cultural institutions, indoor gatherings of more than 100 people will not be permitted and a maximum outdoor gathering of 500 people will be allowed. The restrictions will stay in place until 29 March.
    That's the Scarlets match off at least - or behind closed doors anyway.

serfboard wrote: »
    That's the Scarlets match off at least - or behind closed doors anyway.

We might not be in the Sportsground again this season (fans anyway). :(

In relation to cultural institutions, indoor gatherings of more than 100 people will not be permitted and a maximum outdoor gathering of 500 people will be allowed. The restrictions will stay in place until 29 March.

12 years ago, it would have been ok. 500 was the average crowd

Times have changed for the best for Connacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

12 years ago, it would have been ok. 500 was the average crowd

Times have changed for the best for Connacht

That is the weirdest take on Coronavirus I've seen but fair play for finding the silver lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

We might not be in the Sportsground again this season (fans anyway). :(
    Yep
    serfboard wrote: »
    Is it only me, or is anyone else wondering whether remaining Pro 14 matches will go ahead, or will go ahead behind closed doors?

Or, to narrow it down, how about Connacht's remaining home fixtures?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Fainga'a 6"0 101K
    Oliver 6"5 105K

I don't get the problem with him at all
    Doesn't indicate we don't severly need a big ball-carrier n°8 (with Copeland money-released)
    But Oliver would be a good openside solution on long-term IMO

Watching Munster v Os, Arnold could well be a gem too, so impressively engaged on each phase! Add him a skill coach (Andy Friend), you have the perfect complement to big-profiles centres Robb/Daly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Fainga'a 6"0 101K
    Oliver 6"5 105K

I don't get the problem with him at all
    Doesn't indicate we don't severly need a big ball-carrier n°8 (with Copeland money-released)
    But Oliver would be a good openside solution on long-term IMO

Watching Munster v Os, Arnold could well be a gem too, so impressively engaged on each phase! Add him a skill coach (Andy Friend), you have the perfect complement to big-profiles centres Robb/Daly

Oliver is definitely not 6'5" and probably not even 6'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement